HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He will be able to earn significantly more money in the three years after his current contract in the KHL compared to a NHL ELC.
That is assuming money is the only thing he cares about (and you described every Russian player in the NHL). Varly even said when he came back that the difference between the two leagues is huge. I would put the likely hood of him not coming over as about the same as a first round pick busting.

Is Nichushkin a risk? Yes. Is he worth it? Yes.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

vCash: 50
Man this draft is top heavy but what's frustrating as a potential team picking first overall is that there is no clear cut #1 best player. If there was a player available who was clearly better than the rest as there usually is he would be something special considering how talented the top 5 is overall. The top 5 is literally interchangeable this year.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
That is assuming money is the only thing he cares about (and you described every Russian player in the NHL). Varly even said when he came back that the difference between the two leagues is huge. I would put the likely hood of him not coming over as about the same as a first round pick busting.

Is Nichushkin a risk? Yes. Is he worth it? Yes.
It depends on what other options you have with your pick.

If you have Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon as alternatives when it's time to pick, he isn't worth the risk. If you have Pulock, Erne and Ristolainen as alternatives, it's probably worth taking a gamble (assuming he interviewed well etc).

Old
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It depends on what other options you have with your pick.

If you have Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon as alternatives when it's time to pick, he isn't worth the risk. If you have Pulock, Erne and Ristolainen as alternatives, it's probably worth taking a gamble (assuming he interviewed well etc).
True... I have said multiple times in this thread that 6/7+ you draft Nichushkin. That puts Jones, Drouin, Mac, Barkov, Lindholm, and possibly Monahan ahead of him. Beyond that that risk with Nichushkin isn't really any greater than the other players in the draft, nor is the wait. Plus, if he turns out you get a top 2-3 talent in the draft. Kind of like Tarasenko in 2010 (I think he ends up top 3-5 best player in that draft that was drafted #16). I fully expect the same thing with Nichushkin this year, picked mid round 1st, and ends up a top 5 player from the draft.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Man this draft is top heavy but what's frustrating as a potential team picking first overall is that there is no clear cut #1 best player. If there was a player available who was clearly better than the rest as there usually is he would be something special considering how talented the top 5 is overall. The top 5 is literally interchangeable this year.
And than we would cry if we pick 2nd.
Having great prospects available who could go 1st in every other year is a godsend. There are 3-5 of them in this draft. You can not really lose if you pick top 3. Anyone can bust but looking at them as a prospect I can't help but want to lose tonight.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Puck Poise

I really really hope we pick up Drouin if Jones isn't available. Putting up better numbers this year than Stamkos, Tavares, Hall in their draft years. Seems like a cant-miss guy.

We could roll three solid top lines with Drouin playing a scoring role next year:

Drouin-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones

I could see the LW's being switched throughout the year due to Sacconomics. And of course these lines aren't in order.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreopancake View Post
I really really hope we pick up Drouin if Jones isn't available. Putting up better numbers this year than Stamkos, Tavares, Hall in their draft years. Seems like a cant-miss guy.

We could roll three solid top lines with Drouin playing a scoring role next year:

Drouin-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones

I could see the LW's being switched throughout the year due to Sacconomics. And of course these lines aren't in order.
Sacconomics???
Please don't tell me that this moron of a coach will ever lay hands on our precious new shiny toy.
Just say it aint so!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Zandar

Quote:

Drouin-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Jones

You do realize that those three faced tougher competition than Drouin does in the Q...
Can't compare scoring in the OHL to the QMJHL.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Wrong thread...My bad.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Radulov will be an Av next season after Roy takes over.
honestly would not be opposed to Roy. even as a rookie NHL coach i think he would have more sense than Sacco.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Puck Poise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
You do realize that those three faced tougher competition than Drouin does in the Q...
Can't compare scoring in the OHL to the QMJHL.
Alright. Putting up better numbers than Huberdeau, Giroux, and similar number to Lecavalier in their draft years.

He's also helped lead his team to one of the best regular seasons in CHL history this year, played excellent in the playoffs last year, and has 10 points in 4 games so far this year.

I also want a player who's capable of bringing the fans back into The Can, and I think Drouin is an exciting enough player to do so.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
Personally I couldn't disagree more. We have enough heart, grit, defensive forwards etc. Guys like Landy and ROR will probably be staples on this team for a long time and there the definition of high IQ players that play both ways as good as anybody. Duchene is even starting to become like that.

I want skill. I think it's what we lack the most. We have some skilled guys but getting another top 6 forward with elite skill is IMO the hardest to get and is right there with Drouin and Mac.

I think you're right in that's what the Avalanche aim for but I'd rather them take a home run and land a potential star, rather than a Mikko Kouivu type ceiling. We need another guy that has slick hands, a player that actually had an above average shot and has some creativity. Guys like Landy and ROR do the right thing, put the puck on the net and ROR has pretty good vision but the top 6 needs another player like Duchene. We lack highly skilled forwards. Drouin could end up a Patrick Kane like player, I've seen people compare Kessel to Mac. I'd rather those two than a ROR type player, and I think it'd benefit are team more.

I'd rather Jones, Drouin, Mack, Lindholm or even Nichushkin which I know would never happen.
Barkov has plenty of skills. He is not flashy like Drouin is but he certainly does not lack skills.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Alright. Putting up better numbers than Huberdeau, Giroux, and similar number to Lecavalier in their draft years.

He's also helped lead his team to one of the best regular seasons in CHL history this year, played excellent in the playoffs last year, and has 10 points in 4 games so far this year.

I also want a player who's capable of bringing the fans back into The Can, and I think Drouin is an exciting enough player to do so.
I'm not saying he's not a good prospect but using stats doesn't tell the whole story. Only Huberdeau comes close to having the talent surrounding him that Drouin has. Drouin has done well to work on improving his game for sure and comparing his offense to the Q guys would project him to possibly be around an 80 point guy for the stats nuts. But also...Plenty of guys put up great numbers their draft years but dont amount to much. Whatever you do, don't go off of early production in the Q playoffs. Drouin has feasted on a ****** team. The worst team in the OHL would be harder to beat.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:

The ONLY thing that will bring the fans back is WINNING. Players that 95% of the fans don't know aren't going to bring them back. The team winning will.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
PAZ

I don't see us getting Jones. Flames will outtank us, and we'll be #3-4. Flames will have #1 spot. It also makes me wonder where the Flames would be if we didn't match the offer sheet for Radar.

IMO Top 5 Draft Order
Calgary - Jones
Florida - Mackinnon
Colorado - Drouin
Buffalo - Lindholm
Tampa/Philly/Phoenix/Washington/Dallas (Basically a crapshoot) - Barkov

I do see Washington trading down if they have the #5 pick and drafting Nischukin later.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:30 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I don't see us getting Jones. Flames will outtank us, and we'll be #3-4. Flames will have #1 spot. It also makes me wonder where the Flames would be if we didn't match the offer sheet for Radar.

IMO Top 5 Draft Order
Calgary - Jones
Florida - Mackinnon
Colorado - Drouin
Buffalo - Lindholm

I do see Washington trading down if they have the #5 pick and drafting Nischukin later.
I'd rate Lindholm over Drouin personally. I'm very wary of one-dimensional players who dominate lesser skilled (or smaller, not that that applies here) junior players, in terms of how they project to the pro game.

Any of the playoff bubble teams could draft from 5 to 20ish. It's such a crapshoot right now.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:32 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:

IMO Top 5 Draft Order
Calgary - Jones
Florida - Mackinnon
Colorado - Drouin
Buffalo - Lindholm

If we didn't match the offer sheet the Flames wouldn't be selling.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:39 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'd rate Lindholm over Drouin personally. I'm very wary of one-dimensional players who dominate lesser skilled (or smaller, not that that applies here) junior players, in terms of how they project to the pro game.

Any of the playoff bubble teams could draft from 5 to 20ish. It's such a crapshoot right now.
How is Drouin one-dimensional? Just because he's very skilled doesn't make him one-dimensional. He's also not just getting by on skill, it's a combination of work and skill. Obviously he isn't going to be able to use all the same moves in the NHL, but like I stated before, the type of plays he does aren't ones where he repeats. On the other hand, Lindholm does that one crossover so much it's basically every other highlight. That move won't nearly be effective in the NHL.

I expect both of them to adjust well into the NHL, but IMO you can't pass up on Drouin if Jones is already taken. He could easily be the best player in the draft, and his floor would be an Ennis type of player. Obviously it would be a huge disappointment if all we got was Ennis 2.0, but he has way more skill and hockey IQ compared to Ennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
If we didn't match the offer sheet the Flames wouldn't be selling.
I don't know. Bouwmeester said he was tired of being on a basement team and wanted to go to a contender, and IMO Iggy would've still went to the Pens. Radar isn't a big enough upgrade to bring the Flames from a basement team to a contender. Even if the Flames never sold on JBouw, Iggy would've still been gone, and that's what killed the team.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
#SethJones

Old
04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:

Wait what?

Quote:

I don't know. Bouwmeester said he was tired of being on a basement team and wanted to go to a contender, and IMO Iggy would've still went to the Pens. Radar isn't a big enough upgrade to bring the Flames from a basement team to a contender. Even if the Flames never sold on JBouw, Iggy would've still been gone, and that's what killed the team.
Both players would've stayed no doubt. Iggy out of respect and Jaybo would've been forced to stay and moved in the offseason if he wanted to. Let's no go insane about the what if's, having ROR on this team is better for the avs and that's all that matters.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
#SethJones

Photo shopping Jones on ROBs body means bad karma...

Aside from that I would absolutely love it .

Well that means Go Nashville! for today I guess

Last edited by JoemAvs: 04-02-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:

It gets a lot of hate around these boards, but this is a serious concern. This guy is put in every circumstance to score, and he does which is obviously a good sign. I'd like to see him on his team with a little less talent. He's constantly being inserted on the powerplay, and plays big minutes in the offensive zone. That said, this was before the WJC and I don't know if it's changed since. I'm really excited to see he and Mackinnon in person in the second round v.s. Gatineau. But I wouldn'T rank Lindholm above him, just Mackinnon.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
We're officially in the basement. Had high expectations coming into the season but at this point I will be through the roof happy if we get Jones and very happy if we even end up with a top 3 pick.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Radar isn't a big enough upgrade to bring the Flames from a basement team to a contender.
Especially since he'd be playing for Columbus.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Dead last in the league with a game in hand on the Panthers.

Ceeeeelebraaaate good times, come on!

Closed Thread