Jarome Iginla's Hunt For Lord Stanley

Old
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
It's been said multiple times, what's the difference between 26th and 30th? I'm 100% cheering Iggy on, Go Iggy! Go Pens!
Agreed. Unless we see some player drop like crazy like Pulock, it really is not going to make much difference.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

vCash: 50
Yeah **** that. Iggy gets his cup god damnit! Much more important than 26th-30th gap. If it was say 16-30th gap maybe I'd understand but **** this noise guys. Give your heads a shake.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Flames 1st pick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Yeah **** that. Iggy gets his cup god damnit! Much more important than 26th-30th gap. If it was say 16-30th gap maybe I'd understand but **** this noise guys. Give your heads a shake.
Then his 5 min as a Penguin is worth more than his 15 yrs as a Flames....

Unless he is a key player in the winning the cup, I dont really care if he is just a passenger...it's pathetic.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post

Unless he is a key player in the winning the cup, I dont really care if he is just a passenger...it's pathetic.
He's a top 6 player on the team. In what way did they bring him on to be a passenger?

Old
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 187
Quote:

He has consistently been putting up 1st or 2nd most minutes for their forwards every game, yes there's injuries, but even than, he is by no means a passenger.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

That's terrible logic. Maybe his 15 years as a Flame is worth so much it brings worth to the 5 mins as Penguin?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
It's been said multiple times, what's the difference between 26th and 30th? I'm 100% cheering Iggy on, Go Iggy! Go Pens!
I dunno what is the difference between David Perron & Nick Ross? Or Tyler Ennis & Thomas McCollum? Or Cory Schneider & Andy Rogers? A higher pick is better, even if its only a few spots.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I dunno what is the difference between David Perron & Nick Ross? Or Tyler Ennis & Thomas McCollum? Or Cory Schneider & Andy Rogers? A higher pick is better, even if its only a few spots.
I could always find a Zetterberg or Datsuk example. Oh wait, I just did, didn't I?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I could always find a Zetterberg or Datsuk example. Oh wait, I just did, didn't I?
Except I took actual 26th & 30th picks. I didn't go looking around for Gems. I started looking in 2009 and stopped in 2004. So if I can give 3 examples in 6 years, I would say overall the odds off drafting a good player @ 26th is better than 30th is significantly better than some make it out to be.

I know you believe everyone should be on their knees bowing down to the great almighty Iginla, but some of us just don't believe the same things as you.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 330
Lol I cannot believe you guys are having this argument. If the Pens win, trade down to 31 since there's a better chance of success at finding someone better there than 30!

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Iginla didn't feel like he owed anything to the organization when he nixed the deal to Boston. Fair enough, he has provided them with 500+ goals over the years and they in turn have payed him millions upon millions. That was his right with his NMC.

Similarly, the fans don't owe Iginla anything nor does he owe us anything. I'm cheering for Pittsburgh to lose to NYI. I'm a fan of the Calgary Flames, not of any one player. If a pick weren't at stake, I'd be indifferent to him winning or losing, but as it stands, him losing benefits this franchise. And no matter how marginal that benefit may seem, if it allows us to pick a player that wouldn't otherwise be available, then I'm happy.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Iginla didn't feel like he owed anything to the organization when he nixed the deal to Boston. Fair enough, he has provided them with 500+ goals over the years and they in turn have payed him millions upon millions. That was his right with his NMC.

Similarly, the fans don't owe Iginla anything nor does he owe us anything. I'm cheering for Pittsburgh to lose to NYI. I'm a fan of the Calgary Flames, not of any one player. If a pick weren't at stake, I'd be indifferent to him winning or losing, but as it stands, him losing benefits this franchise. And no matter how marginal that benefit may seem, if it allows us to pick a player that wouldn't otherwise be available, then I'm happy.
I wish we could like posts here.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:06 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:

I don't blame anyone for not cheering for Iginla, that's fine. I simply cheer for him because he is my favorite player and I wish him success.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
MarkGio

Quote:

I'm a Flames fan first, but I really don't see the difference in talent - or even odds of picking an NHLer - between the 26th to 30th position. I posted a link not too long ago about the odds a first rounder becomes what was projected, a link I found over at the numbers boards. I simply don't place value where it doesn't belong.

I don't want Iginla to be another Neiwendyk and join some other head office. Because I know he has an mind for the game and most importantly, I know that this franchise needs better minds and more of them in the head office. That will ultimately be more beneficial to the Flames than 4 lousy spots. So yes I want Iggy to come back after he receives the success he's looking for

Last edited by MarkGio: 04-30-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 12:13 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

I don't care what you guys say, Go Iggy! Go Flames! Go Pens! And @Abby, hindsight is 20/20 pal, at the time of the draft, I bet all those guys were basically equal, 4 spots is nothing, marginal, at best. By than its basically all personal team preference.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

vCash: 134
Quote:
Except I took actual 26th & 30th picks. I didn't go looking around for Gems. I started looking in 2009 and stopped in 2004. So if I can give 3 examples in 6 years, I would say overall the odds off drafting a good player @ 26th is better than 30th is significantly better than some make it out to be.

I know you believe everyone should be on their knees bowing down to the great almighty Iginla, but some of us just don't believe the same things as you.
You can find examples both ways. I don't think being happy to lose 5 spots in the late first round in exchange for seeing Jarome capture his well-earned Stanley Cup amounts to "bowing down."

By the time we get to 26 and on, there is rarely a consensus BPA. That's the point.

Sure, in this stretch of years, strictly 26 against strictly 30 overall happens to follow a clear trend, but when you look at the picks between mid 20s and mid 30s each year, there is no clear pattern. You don't see a clear regression from good to bad prospect. It's a professional guessing game. Sometimes you see Matt Pelech taken at 26 and James Neal at 33. Sometimes you see Dennis Persson taken at 24 and Nick Foligno taken at 28. And sometimes it's the other way around.

Now, yes, the earlier you pick, the better your position. It gives you a better chance to get the player that you have decided is the best fit for your organization. It allows you to maybe gain some assets to trade down if the player you covet is going to be available later. But let's not pretend that Iginla winning the cup would destroy the future of the Flames.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Who said it would destroy anything? We just want a better pick so there is a better chance at a better player. Any small thing to help speed up this rebuild is a good thing.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

Quote:
Who said it would destroy anything? We just want a better pick so there is a better chance at a better player. Any small thing to help speed up this rebuild is a good thing.
Well, when you're using such strong language, accusing pro-Iginla posters of "bowing down to the almighty Iginla," I feel like you're talking about a lot more than simply a marginally better chance at getting a prospect. With that choice of words it makes it sound like we'd be sacrificing ourselves for his well-being on some kind of worship level.

Maybe it was just a gross exaggeration?

There will be players available at and after #30 who will be difference-makers at the NHL level. Wherever we are picking down there, our scouting and management has the opportunity to pick a future NHL-er.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
There isn't a better chance. Prove to me otherwise.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
There isn't a better chance. Prove to me otherwise.
seriously? the sooner you have a pick the better the pick because less people can scoop the player you want. It's simple common sense. If that has to be proved to you, I dunno what to say other than that is pretty sad.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

Quote:
seriously? the sooner you have a pick the better the pick because less people can scoop the player you want. It's simple common sense. If that has to be proved to you, I dunno what to say other than that is pretty sad.
Show me players that will be available at 26th that are clearly superior to those at 30. You can't, because you don't know, because its a crap shoot, and it's pure personal preference by than.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

Quote:
It's easier to get the guy you want. It's no easier to know which player to want, though.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
You said better chance at a better player. What's sad is that I have to remember what YOU said. If you have any data or evidence throughout the 100 year history of the draft that the 26th draftee gives you a better chance at a BETTER player, I would admit I'm wrong.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
You said better chance at a better player. What's sad is that I have to remember what YOU said. If you have any data or evidence throughout the 100 year history of the draft that the 26th draftee gives you a better chance at a BETTER player, I would admit I'm wrong.
I know what I said.

It may not make a huge difference, but to outright deny that you have a better chance (no matter how small) at a better player with a higher pick is just silly. It's like saying there is no difference between drafting between #2 and #3.

But I know you are just being this way because I'm not bowing down to Iginla like you feel any "real" Flames fan should.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

Quote:
It's like saying there is no difference between drafting between #2 and #3.
It's not the same, and I feel like you probably know that. Picks in that area are much more developed and are considered easier to scout. You are more likely to know what you're getting at #2 than at #28. The further down the list you go, the more uncertainty there is.