Notices

Jarome Iginla's Hunt For Lord Stanley

Old
04-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Show me players that will be available at 26th that are clearly superior to those at 30. You can't, because you don't know, because its a crap shoot, and it's pure personal preference by than.
I'm no scout, but I don't think it's a crap shoot like you suggest. If we were talking about a pick in mid or late rounds I would agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
It's easier to get the guy you want. It's no easier to know which player to want, though.
That's why they have a list isn't it? The goal is to get the player you think will be best. Whether it works out or now comes down to scouting and development.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
It's not the same, and I feel like you probably know that. Picks in that area are much more developed and are considered easier to scout. You are more likely to know what you're getting at #2 than at #28. The further down the list you go, the more uncertainty there is.
Yes I know ther eis more uncertainty as you go down the list. But we are talking about 4-5 positions in the draft, not just one. That can be a big difference when it comes to the first round in a deep draft.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm a Flames fan first, but I really don't see the difference in talent - or even odds of picking an NHLer - between the 26th to 30th position. I posted a link not too long ago about the odds a first rounder becomes what was projected, a link I found over at the numbers boards. I simply don't place value where it doesn't belong.

I don't want Iginla to be another Neiwendyk and join some other head office. Because I know he has an mind for the game and most importantly, I know that this franchise needs better minds and more of them in the head office. That will ultimately be more beneficial to the Flames than 4 lousy spots. So yes I want Iggy to come back after he receives the success he's looking for
I just want the Flames to have the best available options open to them. I also don't know if Iginla would make a good front office guy (Neiwendyk didn't either). He's a player, and that isn't a reflection on his ability to make decision on other players.

Also, I don't want to stack a bunch of ex-players in the front office like the Oilers do. And for all we know, Iginla may not even want a job in hockey after retirement.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:16 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I know what I said.

It may not make a huge difference, but to outright deny that you have a better chance (no matter how small) at a better player with a higher pick is just silly. It's like saying there is no difference between drafting between #2 and #3.

But I know you are just being this way because I'm not bowing down to Iginla like you feel any "real" Flames fan should.
I'm outright denying it, I've seen the data. My challenge still stands.

I'd argue there is a difference. The #2 and #3 guys are scouted and watched more than the #26 and #30 guys, who are scouted more than the #150 and #151 guys. Even with large consensus a club has to develop a pick properly. All variables involved, its still a crapshoot. Either way it doesn't matter what the scouts think, it only matters what your GM thinks.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I just want the Flames to have the best available options open to them. I also don't know if Iginla would make a good front office guy (Neiwendyk didn't either). He's a player, and that isn't a reflection on his ability to make decision on other players.

Also, I don't want to stack a bunch of ex-players in the front office like the Oilers do. And for all we know, Iginla may not even want a job in hockey after retirement.
Iginla could be a scout at the very least. An AGM at best. Sure he might not be any good, but more quality resources separates the premiere clubs from the rest.

Other clubs with head hunt Wiesbros. You got to keep personnel in the system for when that happens. As long as you have accountability and can actual terminate people, you'll never be the Oilers.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
That's why they have a list isn't it? The goal is to get the player you think will be best. Whether it works out or not comes down to scouting and development.
But that's the thing, isn't it? If you look at each team's list, they're all likely to have different players at #26 and #30. There is just as much chance that someone else's 26th best player will be better than your 26th best player. If you pick at 30, you will still probably end up with a player who was 26th or higher on somebody's list. So how is it possible to evaluate who's getting the better player at that point?

All those 5 spots do is reduce options. It doesn't diminish those options in any significant way in my opinion.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
But that's the thing, isn't it? If you look at each team's list, they're all likely to have different players at #26 and #30. There is just as much chance that someone else's 26th best player will be better than your 26th best player. If you pick at 30, you will still probably end up with a player who was 26th or higher on somebody's list. So how is it possible to evaluate who's getting the better player at that point?

All those 5 spots do is reduce options. It doesn't diminish those options in any significant way in my opinion.
I never said it would diminish anything significantly. I even said it may only make a small amount of difference. I think even if its a 1% chance it will turn into a better player it's worth it.

Not that I would ever cheer for the Penguins anyways.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Iginla with an assist on the Pens second goal.

And another on the Penguins third goal.

Last edited by Calculon: 05-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
2 assists, a 10 minute misconduct for getting in a scrum after the knee on Jokinen, and 3rd star of the game.

Go IGGY! Go Pens!

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:25 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Monster game for Iggy!

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
2 assists, a 10 minute misconduct for getting in a scrum after the knee on Jokinen, and 3rd star of the game.

Go IGGY! Go Pens!
That 10 min misconduct was bogus, ref was just trying to assert some authority for the final 2 mins. He was huge though, I only watched the first period and a half, but he was flying out there, looked like 25 yr old Iggy, and the Pens second goal was all because of Iginla's poise and patience with the puck. The whole team looked great out there, looks like they're going to be without Neal for a bit now though, hopefully 'The Kid' will be in the lineup tomorrow.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
That 10 min misconduct was bogus, ref was just trying to assert some authority for the final 2 mins. He was huge though, I only watched the first period and a half, but he was flying out there, looked like 25 yr old Iggy, and the Pens second goal was all because of Iginla's poise and patience with the puck. The whole team looked great out there, looks like they're going to be without Neal for a bit now though, hopefully 'The Kid' will be in the lineup tomorrow.
'The Kid' is practicing with his regular line mates today so that's a good sign. Hopefully Neal can recover within 1-2 weeks.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Another assist for Iginla on an early Pittsburgh goal. Looking forward to seeing Iginla and Crosby together.

And another one on Crosby's first.

Last edited by Calculon: 05-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Iggy on the Crosby assist!

Unlimited Chequing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:35 PM
RaginStajan
It's real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
Iggy on the Crosby assist!
Iggy!

RaginStajan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Holy crap, did anyone see those pics of Nabokov's mask from game 1? That's ridiculous!

Old
05-03-2013, 09:06 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Great start for the Pens but they sat back after that and let the Isles dictate the play. Hopefully this serves as a wake up call for the Pens heading into game 3.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:30 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
Holy crap, did anyone see those pics of Nabokov's mask from game 1? That's ridiculous!
What pics?

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
What pics?
I wanna know too

Old
05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
What pics?
Quote:
I wanna know too
They showed some pics on TSN of Nabokov's mask after getting the Iginla slapshot in the face, there was a nice mark near the skull logo on his mask. I think I remember them saying he had to get a new mask.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:13 PM
saillias

I hope the Isles take it in 5. The Isles are an amazing underdog story. They are run by lunatics and that broken clock was finally right twice in a day, and they made the playoffs. Those players deserve it.

I'm fairly indifferent to Iginla winning that cup. I don't want or not want it to happen. A Stanley Cup isn't the be all end all of his life, he's accomplished several things in hockey... whatever. He'll live with his Memorial Cup, millions, gold medals, Richards, Art Ross and Pearson, being a Canadian ****ing legend, beautiful wife and so on.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I hope the Isles take it in 5. The Isles are an amazing underdog story. They are run by lunatics and that broken clock was finally right twice in a day, and they made the playoffs. Those players deserve it.

I'm fairly indifferent to Iginla winning that cup. I don't want or not want it to happen. A Stanley Cup isn't the be all end all of his life, he's accomplished several things in hockey... whatever. He'll live with his Memorial Cup, millions, gold medals, Richards, Art Ross and Pearson, being a Canadian ****ing legend, beautiful wife and so on.
I think all of the Islanders' players will live, too. If I had to pick one player to live and win a Stanley Cup, it would be Iginla.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

By the way, Iginla tied for lead in playoff scoring.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Two goals in nineteen seconds. That's what I expect from a stacked Pens team.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Quote:
What pics?
Quote:
I wanna know too
This isn't the best pic, but Iggy's slapshot took a chunk out of Nabokov's mask. If you look on the upper left of the mask where the teeth are, that's bare fibreglass (or whatever masks are made of) where the puck tore a piece off. The mask is a complete write off and Nabby had to get a new one

How's that an argument against those who kept saying Iggy just doesn't have it anymore?