HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) *SPOILERS* Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  #26
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Loved that. Great set-up and next week's looks intense. When 55 minutes absolutely flies by like that, you know they're doing something right.

I'm fine with most of the changes. It's been a while since I read SoS and I could still pick out the differences, but being a couple years removed from it now makes them more palpable. Pretty clear that the changes were made to make the story a) flow better and b) more accessible to a TV audience.

I'm ready to be blown away over the next 9 weeks

whiplash is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
  #27
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
I'm glad they had the "I want to be THE queen" thing with Margery last season so everyone knows she is just manipulating the people with her charity.

I'm pretty sure in the book when Tyrion wakes up Bronn is already married and on his way off instead of just hanging around. Do you think they changed it and the scene really was about justifying him staying by giving him a pay raise or do you think they are building up the relationship to make it even worse for Tyrion when they pull it away? The second is probably a better dramatic move but with how popular Bronn is my bet is they will just keep him around.

Also, did Tyrion make his suspicions about his attempted murder known to Cersei so quickly in the book? I don't think he did and it seems a bit out of character for him to show his hand so soon.

Loved the episode and I'm excited to see what they do with Robb in Harrenhall.

Prairie Habs is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
  #28
Richie10
Registered User
 
Richie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Tyrion is getting desperate and starting to fall apart a bit. They need to get that arc moving a very obvious for the TV audience to Tyrion killing Tywin in season 4 has the appropriate build up.

Richie10 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  #29
Layne Staley
Registered User
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Yah, I wasn't sure.

I know Oberyn Martell is in this season so I figured it was maybe like a sneak peak or whatever at him.
I am almost positive Oberyn is NOT in this season. Maybe you have him confused for someone?

I was kinda surprised with the whole Barristan reveal. I was happy they dropped the whole lame Arstan Whitebeard BS but the reason Jorah is banished from Dany is that because Barristan informs Dany Jorah was spying on her for a long time and Jorah reveals Barristan was in Roberts kings guard. They are probably dropping that whole sub plot with Jorah getting cast out because that would have happened as soon as Selmy got revealed. And in the books Jorah was vaguely familiar with Barristsn as Arstan but in the show he knew who he was right away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Tyrion is getting desperate and starting to fall apart a bit. They need to get that arc moving a very obvious for the TV audience to Tyrion killing Tywin in season 4 has the appropriate build up.
They have. Tyrion telling the Tysha story, once Jaime tells Tyrion the truth about it he will want to kill Tywin. And when Tywin just said he would hang the next ***** that Tyrion brought in his bed, well when he finds Shae in Tywins bed after she betrayed him at the trial, well that's all he needs to kill Tywin.


Last edited by Layne Staley: 04-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Layne Staley is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
  #30
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I am almost positive Oberyn is NOT in this season. Maybe you have him confused for someone?

I was kinda surprised with the whole Barristan reveal. I was happy they dropped the whole lame Arstan Whitebeard BS but the reason Jorah is banished from Dany is that because Barristan informs Dany Jorah was spying on her for a long time and Jorah reveals Barristan was in Roberts kings guard. They are probably dropping that whole sub plot with Jorah getting cast out because that would have happened as soon as Selmy got revealed. And in the books Jorah was vaguely familiar with Barristsn as Arstan but in the show he knew who he was right away.




They have. Tyrion telling the Tysha story, once Jaime tells Tyrion the truth about it he will want to kill Tywin. And when Tywin just said he would hang the next ***** that Tyrion brought in his bed, well when he finds Shae in Tywins bed after she betrayed him at the trial, well that's all he needs to kill Tywin.
And we all find out Tywin doesn't **** gold!

The end.

DRWCountryClub is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
  #31
Olvast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Nope. Puh-lease.
Faceless Men do not fail.

The assassination attempt in the books was done by Sorrowful Men.
Ah, my bad.

Olvast is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
  #32
Layne Staley
Registered User
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Also, did everyone else catch Rast on the fist after the battle in the beginning? He was the one who bullied Sam and hated Jon and Jon threatened to cut his throat if he didn't stop messing with Sam. Since its confirmed mutiny at Crasters Keep happens this season I guarantee Rast will be the one to "lead" the mutiny and kill LC Mormont.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
  #33
SilasAdams
Registered User
 
SilasAdams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Deadwood
Country: United States
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Also, did everyone else catch Rast on the fist after the battle in the beginning? He was the one who bullied Sam and hated Jon and Jon threatened to cut his throat if he didn't stop messing with Sam. Since its confirmed mutiny at Crasters Keep happens this season I guarantee Rast will be the one to "lead" the mutiny and kill LC Mormont.
Yeah that's pretty much confirmed in one of the trailers when it shows Rast strolling through Crasters Keep with a sword in his hand.

SilasAdams is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 03:16 PM
  #34
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 50
Dont really have a problem with Qyburn at Harrenhall, Robb will be leaving for Riverrun soon so it just sets it up that Qyburn is already there for when Jaime and Brienne show up and he will evetnually travel with them to Kings Landing.

SirPaste is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  #35
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
I thought the same but it was only a whyte. I think he will have his day with a WW and the dragon glass.
Sam doesn't become Slayer at the Fist. I would say the writers made him fail at this so he succeeds at something greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
"You see where they put the *******"

and Vargo Hoat is cut.
Mance was present when Robert visited Winterfell so since the show doesnt have Mance present (to our knowledge), they couldn't use that line because it wouldn't have made sense.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
  #36
SilasAdams
Registered User
 
SilasAdams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Deadwood
Country: United States
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post

Mance was present when Robert visited Winterfell so since the show doesnt have Mance present (to our knowledge), they couldn't use that line because it wouldn't have made sense.
It would of been a longer scene but they could of had Mance tell the story of why he deserted and then about him scaling the wall and visiting Winterfell. I'm okay with what the show did but i definitely prefer the book version.

SilasAdams is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
  #37
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,028
vCash: 500
Yeah, they couldve done Davos' scene better too. It wouldve shown the power of Melisandre.

But i can live with most of the changes because all the big stuff seems set up to happen as expected.

Cant wait for what Dany does tho. For as much of a whiner she was last season, truly bad ass.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
  #38
Mike1
Registered User
 
Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
Do you guys think Barristan will be handled differently on the TV show then in the books? As in him being more willing to step up & share more information about the past to Dany?

In my opinion it was one of the more annoying things about the Dany POV's in ADWD. Barristan opens up about certain things, it looks like they are going to go deep into it & then Dany changes the subject.

Mike1 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
  #39
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Do you guys think Barristan will be handled differently on the TV show then in the books? As in him being more willing to step up & share more information about the past to Dany?

In my opinion it was one of the more annoying things about the Dany POV's in ADWD. Barristan opens up about certain things, it looks like they are going to go deep into it & then Dany changes the subject.
Thats kind of the point though. The story is the NOW, not the past. The little pieces here and there serve to enrich the world and give a little backstory, but going too far into it would be pointless.

Riseonfire is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
  #40
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Do you guys think Barristan will be handled differently on the TV show then in the books? As in him being more willing to step up & share more information about the past to Dany?

In my opinion it was one of the more annoying things about the Dany POV's in ADWD. Barristan opens up about certain things, it looks like they are going to go deep into it & then Dany changes the subject.
Like maybe how a certain someone was selling info on her for a pardon? I think he will tell Dany eventually and use some excuse like "I was trying to get a measure of him first" or "I remember him from the battle of ______ and I thought he could redeem himself. I guess Selmy wasn't actually on the small council in the show so technically they can just day he doesn't know about it.

As for what you were actually asking I don't think so. They will use his knowledge for exposition when necessary but an old guy telling stories doesn't play well on tv and they are already always pressed for time so I doubt they add more backround info that way.

Prairie Habs is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
  #41
Cotton500
Registered User
 
Cotton500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pickering, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I didn't mind any of the book changes in episode 1, season 3.

All in all, I thought they redeemed the Jon story line with his reasoning to Mance - it was better than in the books.

The only thing that still somewhat bothers me is Ghost not with Jon.
Really? I thought Jon's answer in the books was perfect.

Cotton500 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
  #42
ClicheGuevara
Registered User
 
ClicheGuevara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post
Really? I thought Jon's answer in the books was perfect.
I thought it was perfect for the book. It would have been unfeasible to recreate that whole scene for the show. Mostly because the actor they got for Mance Rayder doesn't have the charisma to pull off the whole disguising-himself-as-a-bard-and-sneaking-into-Winterfell angle.

ClicheGuevara is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
  #43
KesselBuiltMyHotrod
Registered User
 
KesselBuiltMyHotrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,021
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Thats kind of the point though. The story is the NOW, not the past. The little pieces here and there serve to enrich the world and give a little backstory, but going too far into it would be pointless.
Yeah but Dany is so damn boring in ADWD. Selmy is the best part.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:13 PM
  #44
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Yeah but Dany is so damn boring in ADWD. Selmy is the best part.
Well said.

DRWCountryClub is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 11:46 PM
  #45
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers
 
crazy Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
No Strong Belwas... Now just two old guys with Daenerys

Casual viewers will have a hard time distinguishing between the two, some still think she's called Khaleesi

crazy Kassian is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:37 AM
  #46
Layne Staley
Registered User
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
I re watched the episode tonight and I think during the Tyrion-Tywin convo where we see Tywin writing a letter and putting the hand of the king seal on it, I think it is him writing to Lord Walder Frey setting up the Red Wedding.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
  #47
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers
 
crazy Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
think everyone in this thread thought about that

crazy Kassian is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
  #48
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I re watched the episode tonight and I think during the Tyrion-Tywin convo where we see Tywin writing a letter and putting the hand of the king seal on it, I think it is him writing to Lord Walder Frey setting up the Red Wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
think everyone in this thread thought about that
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoS - Ch 5. Tyrion I
“Did you come here just to complain of your bedchamber and make your lame japes? I have important letters to finish.”

“Important letters. To be sure.”

Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Spare me these coy reproaches, Tyrion. I visited your sickbed as often as Maester Ballabar would allow it, when you seemed like to die.” He steepled his fingers under his chin. “Why did you dismiss Ballabar?”
Now, those poor saps in the "no spoiler" thread ...

kdb209 is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 01:50 AM
  #49
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Do you guys think Barristan will be handled differently on the TV show then in the books? As in him being more willing to step up & share more information about the past to Dany?

In my opinion it was one of the more annoying things about the Dany POV's in ADWD. Barristan opens up about certain things, it looks like they are going to go deep into it & then Dany changes the subject.
It's easy enough to pull off that Barristan was a guard and not necessarily privy to information coming from small council meetings... unless he was physically there when Ned asks who the spy was, but I don't think so.

Either way, this information leads to Dany banishing Jorah, which leads to him disappearing, until he random picks up Tyrion and they all head back to Mereen where it looks like Jorah will eventually be back in Dany's service... and that's not necessarily how they may end up doing it on the show.

And speaking of changes, that's quite the rack on Missandei

RandV is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 02:39 AM
  #50
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I'm glad they had the "I want to be THE queen" thing with Margery last season so everyone knows she is just manipulating the people with her charity.

I'm pretty sure in the book when Tyrion wakes up Bronn is already married and on his way off instead of just hanging around. Do you think they changed it and the scene really was about justifying him staying by giving him a pay raise or do you think they are building up the relationship to make it even worse for Tyrion when they pull it away? The second is probably a better dramatic move but with how popular Bronn is my bet is they will just keep him around.
Bronn took his reward after the battle of Blackwater while Tyrion was out of it but personally I never saw it as a breakup that would cause some hurt feelings. It wasn't really a betrayal and regardless Tyrion should understand, plus going by the fact that Bronn named his son 'Tyrion' I'd take a guess that if the opportunity ever came back Bronn would have his back again.

Could be they keep him around longer in the show though... but you'd think they'll have to ship him off at some point before the end of this season.

RandV is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.