HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) *SPOILERS* Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
  #126
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
In the book, the Tower of Joy scene does not explicitely show whether Lyanna was pregnant or not. A scene in the TV series would have to show it one way or another, or hide it clumsily.

They should do a Robert's Rebellion movie, from the Tourney at Harrenhall to the ending scene at the Tower of Joy. They could slide it before the last or next to last season of the series, with the big reveal at the end of the movie, or not.
The tourney might be a bit early to start unless it was just like a ten minute opening. I guess the timeline could move faster than the books so far but the tourney is still several years before the rebellion isn't it? Or maybe I am thinking of a different tourney... There was the one where Jaime is chosen to be in the Kingsguard because Cersei is there and Cersei is taken away from KL when Aerys refuses to marry his son to her. That means that he hasn't married Elia yet and their kids are a couple years old during the rebellion so it is 3-4 years away probably. But there is also the one where the prince (I don't feel like looking up the spelling) wins and names Lyanna queen of beauty or whatever instead of Elia so he is clearly married.

I assume the Harrenhal one is the second one but which one was the first? Or maybe Jaime wasn't even chosen for the KG after winning a tourney and I am just making it all up...

Prairie Habs is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
  #127
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Perfumed seneschal is Illyrio. He always wears the nicest perfumes yet is still smelly. He also sold Dany to Drogo, assuming she would just die in the dothraki sea. His and Varys plan all along was to crown fAegon, the whole thing with Viserys and Drogo was a ruse so Drogo would invade and then have fAegon destroy the dothraki , save the realm and become king.The real Aegon showing up more then 2/3rds into the series is stupid. There is no way he can honestly do a dance of dragons between Dany and Aegon, and then also resolve Stannis ' quest for the throne along with Eurons campaign and then of course Dorne which has done practically nothing for 5 books and now are "ready" to step into action... 2 books isn't enough. If Stannis loses to Ramsay and Roose and dies I will literally throw out all the books and refuse to finish TWOW.
Why is it stupid? Seriously, with all of the conventions GRRM defies, I don't get why people think it's out of the realm of possibility that a character alluded to several times in earlier books and then finally revealed to be alive can't be authentic or play a major role. Just as he kills of characters readers like, he doesn't have to crown characters just because some readers feel attached to them.

That "Dothraki invading Westeros so a Blackfyre can wipe them out in the name of the Targs, even though the Dothraki have a Targ leading the charge" is SUCH a stretch.

whiplash is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  #128
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
If the show catches up to the book (which I think they will after the release of The Winds of Winter), I wouldn't mind it if they did something similar to Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and spent a season or two going through background stories like Robert's Rebellion.

THat would give viewers sufficient background knowledge before the big reveal / conclusion seasons based on the last book.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
  #129
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
If the show catches up to the book (which I think they will after the release of The Winds of Winter), I wouldn't mind it if they did something similar to Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and spent a season or two going through background stories like Robert's Rebellion.

THat would give viewers sufficient background knowledge before the big reveal / conclusion seasons based on the last book.
Young Robert?


Prairie Habs is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
  #130
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I felt the exact same way when Robb died. is it confirmed that he's even stopping at seven? I'd heard somewhere that maybe he was going to do more...especially since Feast and Dance were essentially one book.
AIUI, George has stated that The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring will be the last of the series - with a never-say-never caveat that story bloat might lead to an add'l split ala AFFC/ADWD. And given George's age, health, & writing speed, I'd be happy to just get Winter and would be surprised if he actually finishes Spring.

When GRRM first started it was planned to cover the same basic plot outline in just a trilogy - Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons, Winds of Winter - but to bring up the JRRT quote "the tale grew in the telling".

kdb209 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
  #131
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
AIUI, George has stated that The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring will be the last of the series - with a never-say-never caveat that story bloat might lead to an add'l split ala AFFC/ADWD. And given George's age, health, & writing speed, I'd be happy to just get Winter and would be surprised if he actually finishes Spring.

When GRRM first started it was planned to cover the same basic plot outline in just a trilogy - Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons, Winds of Winter - but to bring up the JRRT quote "the tale grew in the telling".
If he dies, just let Brandon Sanderson finish it He cleaned up Wheel of Time nicely and his last couple were probably better than Jordan's last few :p Maybe Sanderson could do the same and refocus the series after the slow-moving, 2000 page monster that was Feast and Dance

whiplash is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  #132
Dom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I assume the Harrenhal one is the second one but which one was the first? Or maybe Jaime wasn't even chosen for the KG after winning a tourney and I am just making it all up...
Both are the same tourney.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...y_at_Harrenhal

Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna a year after the tourney.

Dom is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
  #133
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
It is, and maybe that theory is incorrect and that's why it's omitted...
How can Bran see it? There aren't any weir woods in Dorne. There are barely any south of the neck


Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Why is it stupid? Seriously, with all of the conventions GRRM defies, I don't get why people think it's out of the realm of possibility that a character alluded to several times in earlier books and then finally revealed to be alive can't be authentic or play a major role. Just as he kills of characters readers like, he doesn't have to crown characters just because some readers feel attached to them.

That "Dothraki invading Westeros so a Blackfyre can wipe them out in the name of the Targs, even though the Dothraki have a Targ leading the charge" is SUCH a stretch.
Yes Dany is a real Targ. And it's a prominent theory that Illyrio married a Blackfyre woman. Remember when Arya overheard Varys and Illyrio talking in the dragon room? We thought they were talking about having Viserys invade to win the throne, but it was far deeper. Varys at the end of Adwd explained it to Kevan as he was dying, "Aegon" was alive the whole time and he will be the rightful king (yet Illyrio in the beginning wanted to crown Viserys and gave Dany dragon eggs, some things just don't make sense.)

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  #134
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,175
vCash: 904
What if Illyrio has more dragon eggs?

__________________
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Bubba Thudd is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
  #135
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,497
vCash: 500
I find Illyrio fascinating, and am annoyed that we don't have more insight into his character. We've only seen him through the naive perspective of Dany, clueless perspective of Arya, and briefly through the eyes of Tyrion, which was probably the best of the bunch. Am I right in saying that those are the only times we've met him? He and Varys have far too little of a presence in comparison to their potential power. GRRM is always shooting from the shadows.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
  #136
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,504
vCash: 500
Did anyone see this?



My apologies if someone has posted this already.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
  #137
SilasAdams
Registered User
 
SilasAdams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Deadwood
Country: United States
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
You guys seen this





SilasAdams is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:46 PM
  #138
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,584
vCash: 500
"Our knees do not bend easily."


So awesome

whiplash is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
  #139
Kamal007
A$VP
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Did anyone see this?



My apologies if someone has posted this already.
Just on the last page but worth another post, truly epic

Kamal007 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  #140
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Both are the same tourney.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...y_at_Harrenhal

Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna a year after the tourney.
Hmm... Jaime joined the kingsguard to go to KL to be with Cersei, but I thought Tywin left KL when Aerys refused to accept Cersei for Rhaegar. If Rhaegar is already married to Elia then I guess Tywin must have just waited a while before resigning as hand?

Prairie Habs is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  #141
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Hmm... Jaime joined the kingsguard to go to KL to be with Cersei, but I thought Tywin left KL when Aerys refused to accept Cersei for Rhaegar. If Rhaegar is already married to Elia then I guess Tywin must have just waited a while before resigning as hand?
Cersei was at KL court at a young age and she said she would "make Jaime a KG happen" (probably by doing stuff with Aerys ) . Remember, they both were born in 266 so they are both 34 right now.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
  #142
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,504
vCash: 500
Here's a timeline I saw on ****** (which is apparently the most accurate so far) of the happenings in the books. Spoilers of all books in here so if you haven't read all of them, don't go reading and PMing me crying that I ruined it for you

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ha1ZfNUE#gid=8

Hurt is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
  #143
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 16,575
vCash: 500
So who wants to explain to me how they're going to ally the Boltons and Lannisters after a Bolton bannerman chops of Jaime's hand?

Or is that guy in the show just Vargo Hoat posing as a Bolton bannerman?

silverfish is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
  #144
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
So who wants to explain to me how they're going to ally the Boltons and Lannisters after a Bolton bannerman chops of Jaime's hand?

Or is that guy in the show just Vargo Hoat posing as a Bolton bannerman?
Just like how they did in the books. Vargo was working for Roose in the book so it's the same thing.Locke is playing Vargo in the show minus the lisp and not having to explain the brave companions. That's why they showed Qyburn injured at Harrenhal.

"Send your father my regards" blah blah Roose stabs Robb in heart "Jaime Lannister sends his regards"

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
  #145
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 16,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Just like how they did in the books. Vargo was working for Roose in the book so it's the same thing.Locke is playing Vargo in the show minus the lisp and not having to explain the brave companions. That's why they showed Qyburn injured at Harrenhal.

"Send your father my regards" blah blah Roose stabs Robb in heart "Jaime Lannister sends his regards"
Ah, I must have forgotten that Vargo was working for the Boltons. I just thought he was a sellsword kind of wreaking his own havoc.

I have a very bad memory when it comes to the books, unfortunately.

silverfish is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
  #146
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 500
Any ideas whats going on with Sam? Read all the books last summer, so not a great memory of everything but I remember at the enf of Book 4, Sam seemed poised to play a major role.

Gobo is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
  #147
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Ah, I must have forgotten that Vargo was working for the Boltons. I just thought he was a sellsword kind of wreaking his own havoc.

I have a very bad memory when it comes to the books, unfortunately.
Don't worry it was confusing in the books. At first Vargo and the brave companions were hired by Tywin to pillage and terrorize the countryside... Then the Starks kept winning battles and they switched sides to the Starks because Roose promised Vargo to be lord of Harrenhal. He realized that Roose was about to turn cloak to the Lannisters so Vargo ordered Jaimes hand chopped off to make sure Tywin wouldn't let Roose off, it didn't work. Roose kills Robb, new warden of the North, and Vargo was cut limb by limb by the mountain (the mountain actually burned his limbs to cauterize the wounds so he wouldn't die and fed his own limbs to Vargo )

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 12:42 AM
  #148
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Anybody catch the Meerenese knot "reference".....

KingLB is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 01:17 AM
  #149
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!
 
Trends Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Anybody catch the Meerenese knot "reference".....
Was just coming in to post this, had to pause the episode I was laughing so hard.

Trends Analyst is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 02:28 AM
  #150
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,182
vCash: 500
Interesting inclusion of the Talisa scene with the Lannister prisoners.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.