HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Could the oilers be forced to move Nick Schultz

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Could the oilers be forced to move Nick Schultz

With TSN reporting the oilers closing on on a deal for Smid at 16mill for 4 year or cap hit of 4mill a year--this could start to paint the oilers into a corner with cap. We all know tha cap is going down to 64.2mill for 2013/2014

Next season is the first year of the Eberle and Hall 6mill deals.

With the signing of Smid this puts the oilers at $52,261,667 cao hit of the 64.2mill cap with 15 players signed. meaning they will have about 12mill for the remaining 7 players--both Gagner and MPS up front will be looking for contract and FIstric on the D also needs a new contract.

The oilers signed D would be
Smid 4.00
J.Schultz 3.775 (When bonuses are factored in)
Petry 1.75
Potter at .750
N Schultz at 3.50mill cap hit

With Whitney and Fistric UFA and Peckham being RFA

To me Schultz will be the odd man out when the dust settles, unless they move Gagner

IF Schultz in available--what teams would be interested?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

vCash: 500
He played a chunk of his career in Minnesota and honestly, his true worth to a team has remained a mystery to be ever since. I've never been able to gauge if he's a good player or a mediocre one.

04-01-2013, 12:53 AM
plikestechno

Forced? Hopefully. As an Oilers fan he's been horrible since coming here. I wasn't the biggest Tom Gilbert fan but I'd rather have him back. He was better even at defence and would be a much better partner for Justin Schultz.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Wasn't Nick Schultz actually a decent Dman in Minnesota? I'm sure some team will take him on, since the Oilers f'd him up by making him play wayyyy too much. He's a #5 Dman, and the Oilers came out on the bottom of that trade.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:01 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Wasn't Nick Schultz actually a decent Dman in Minnesota? I'm sure some team will take him on, since the Oilers f'd him up by making him play wayyyy too much. He's a #5 Dman, and the Oilers came out on the bottom of that trade.
He was a pretty decent second pairing guy for the Wild for several years and than all the sudden he seemed to hit a wall earlier last season and hasn't apparently recovered since.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:02 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I assume Hemsky would be the first casualty of the cap if it comes to it. Horcoff can be replaced by a cheaper option eventually as well. I don't think Schultz @ 3.5 is too big of a deal for EDM.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Gundee1114

I'd love him back in Minnesota, but I'd rather wait til the offseason to make a deal, if at all.

Gundee1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:38 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I assume Hemsky would be the first casualty of the cap if it comes to it. Horcoff can be replaced by a cheaper option eventually as well. I don't think Schultz @ 3.5 is too big of a deal for EDM.
This makes more sense. $3.5M isn't shockingly bad for a 4/5 defenseman these days.

Actually, now that I think of it, if Detroit loses Filppula to free agency (or trades him at the deadline), Hemsky would be a sensible replacement. The Wings have been desperate for right-handed wingers for years now and I seem to remember them reportedly being interested in Hemsky a couple times over the years. The cap hit is a lot considering Hemsky's production this year and injury history, but the Wings would/could stomach it for a year and then reassess.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Paralyzer008

He's been good in Edmonton, don't believe what a lot of other Oiler fans say here, they don't appreciate his game.

However, he's better off as a No.5 d-man because he's not physical enough to garner a top four position, and he's in a top four spot in Edmonton. He's steady, and he plays a very simple game, although he's made a few more mistakes than usual.

Will they be forced to move him? No. Could they move him? Definitely. With Oscar Klefbom coming in soon, he could be used in a package to garner an upgrade, or just dealt because of Klefbom's potential emergence.

I would do the Schultz for Gilbert trade today still, Gilbert isn't as strong defensively.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Forced? Hopefully. As an Oilers fan he's been horrible since coming here. I wasn't the biggest Tom Gilbert fan but I'd rather have him back. He was better even at defence and would be a much better partner for Justin Schultz.
Meh, it is not like Gilbert is having all that great of a season either.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:20 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I tried to tell Oilers fans over the Summer than Nick Schultz was not a top-4 defenseman, but I was kindly told to **** off and that Nick was a #2/3.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Schultz was good when Lemaire was our coach. After he was out, not so much. If it makes you feel any better Gilbert has not been setting the State of Hockey on fire with his play.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Live from Rexall

The Schultz for Gilbert was an unbelievably lateral move. One guys is a little more defensive, one guy is a little more offensive. Gilbert has struggled to find offensive and will be pushed out in Minnesota soon enough just as Schultz would be. Both guys are paid too much to do the job they do. Schultz @3.5mil Gilbert @4mil. I think this trade was just made to bring these players closer to their families.

As far as the Oilers D group goes N.Schultz will play out his contract and be replaced by one of the up and coming Dmen in the organisation. Marincin has looked good in OKC another year down there and he will be ready. Klefbom comes in next year and takes Whitney or Potters spot. Next year in OKC we will get a look at Musil and Gernat. Tuebert has played well enough to get some consideration. I think the Oilers will try to clear out other Dmen but keep Shultz for another year.

I think you see Fistric, Peckham and Whitney gone this year. And if not by trade then just not resigned. Fistric and Peckham are pretty much the same player with Fistric being a little better but both can be fire drills in their own end.

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
if the Oilers sign Smid at 4m when he has openly stated he would be more than happy with 3.5m then someone really needs to go and *****slap Steve Tambellini

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote