HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Credit For a Game Played

Old
03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Credit For a Game Played

A few months ago there was a discussion about skaters getting or not getting credit for a GP in the NHL if they were dressed but rode the bench without any TOI.

Al Dewsbury was recalled by the Canadiens for the first game of the 1955 semi-finals against Boston. See the accompanying pre game photo and game stories:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6968%2C3550248

Al Dewsbury's name would have appeared on the game sheet but he never received credit for a game played with the Canadiens in the 1955 NHL playoffs:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6968%2C3550248

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting. So this Dewsbury guys' dressed and just sits there riding the pine for 3 periods? I wonder had the Habs won the Cup in 55 if he'd have gotten his name on it... weird series that as well. Games 1&7 were close scores, but 2-6, back & forth pastings.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
reckoning

On the Hockey Summary Project's Yahoo groups page, they would often find evidence of players who were called up from the minors, dressed for games, but never got a shift and therefore never got credit for a NHL game. They called them "zero heroes". They were usually goalies, but there were a few skaters who had it happen to them. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking it would be for those guys to get that close to the NHL, but not get a shift.

The end of Garry Unger's iron man streak in Atlanta was a similar situation. Rather than just make him a healthy scratch, Al MacNeil dressed him for the game and kept him on the bench the entire time.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post

The end of Garry Unger's iron man streak in Atlanta was a similar situation. Rather than just make him a healthy scratch, Al MacNeil dressed him for the game and kept him on the bench the entire time.
The game before his streak started was the same situation. He was dressed for the game but never took a shift on Feb 21 1968 Toronto Maple Leafs vs St Louis Blues.

Ironic that the streak started also ended vs St Louis Blues of course the team he compiled most of the consecutive games with.

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
players who were called up from the minors, dressed for games, but never got a shift... I can't even imagine how heartbreaking it would be for those guys to get that close to the NHL, but not get a shift.
Ya isnt that something to contemplate huh? Here your called up to the big club, "the show", forward or defencemen, and you just.... sit..... the entire game. One thing to make a big mistake causing a goal & being benched, or perhaps just doing something stupid, whatever, but to not get out at all? Pretty demoralising. Great seat for the game but hey, your a player not a spectator.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Uncle Rotter

Mike Zanier dressed for Game 5 of the 1984 Stanley Cup Finals, replacing Grant Fuhr. Didn't get credit for the game or his name on the cup.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Uncle Rotter

I think the CFL is the only place where on roster=played in game

Old
03-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
I think the CFL is the only place where on roster=played in game
European hockey leagues traditionally keep track of "games dressed" versus "games played in".

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
ES

Hockey Reference shows that latest skater who has been credited with a game while not getting icetime is Scottie Upshall. He even got assist in the game!

Well, the reason here was that he was playing in the game which was stopped after Jiri Fischer collapsed. Preds were leading 1-0 at the point and it was agreed that the game would be re-played for 60 minutes, and it will start Preds leading 1-0.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Sanf

Atleast five Finnish players has been only bench warmers in NHL game. Goalies Jari Paavola and Markus Ketterer in Sabres, Ari Ahonen in Devils and Harri Säteri in Sharks. Risto Kurkinen would be the only skater to have this faith on 87-88 season in Penguins.

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Mike Zanier dressed for Game 5 of the 1984 Stanley Cup Finals, replacing Grant Fuhr. Didn't get credit for the game or his name on the cup.
Huh... I seem to remember reading somewhere your supposed to have played a minimum of 41 games over a SC winning season for the team in order to qualify for having your name engraved on it. Special dispensations however can be requested & are usually granted. Konstantinov of Detroit for example who got into a car accident in June of 97, the Wings requesting his name be included on 98's & done so.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Huh... I seem to remember reading somewhere your supposed to have played a minimum of 41 games over a SC winning season for the team in order to qualify for having your name engraved on it.
Or play one game in the Finals (it's never been made 100% clear, but based on Zanier, it must mean that you have to appear on the ice).

Agreed that teams can make additional requests.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Agreed that teams can make additional requests.
... Clark Gillies. He filled it full of Alpo. Musta really loved his dog huh Taco?

Old
03-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
European hockey leagues traditionally keep track of "games dressed" versus "games played in".
There is even a tradition of tracking "games named to roster" vs "games dressed". In the 1998 IIHF Super Cup for example VEU Feldkirch had Erik Ryman and Andreas Loth on the roster. Both were unfit to play however. Feldkirch hoped they would become healthy in time and hence they're on the sheet even though neither of them actually dressed. They're still in the offical IIHF game sheet.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
adsfan

My understanding of the rules of hockey includes: If you serve a penalty for someone else, such as a goalie or an injured player, you are credited with a game played even if you don't get on the ice with the clock running. There is one other rule like this, but I am not remembering it at the moment.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Huh... I seem to remember reading somewhere your supposed to have played a minimum of 41 games over a SC winning season for the team in order to qualify for having your name engraved on it. Special dispensations however can be requested & are usually granted. Konstantinov of Detroit for example who got into a car accident in June of 97, the Wings requesting his name be included on 98's & done so.
I thought it was 20 games, but that could change over the years. Ken Sabourin was with the Calagary Flames in 1989. He played 6 games plus one playoff game and didn't get his name on the cup IIRC. He did get a ring.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I thought it was 20 games, but that could change over the years.
Yes, they have indeed altered, changed the rules some over the years on that score. Not exactly sure what the status is, if its hard & fast or dispensations made on a case by case basis. Seems the latter though, which is likely the most appropriate way to deal with it I should think.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Uncle Rotter

Zanier must be the only player to celebrate a Stanley Cup victory on ice in uniform & not get credit for even being there

Old
03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Zanier must be the only player to celebrate a Stanley Cup victory on ice in uniform & not get credit for even being there
Ya honestly. Pictures or didnt happen Buddy. I dont think thats right, fair. I mean Ok, he didnt play, but he "might have" had there been an injury to the starter or whatever. He was on the game sheet, member of the team. Put his name on the Cup.