HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[DET] Danny DeKeyser signs with Red Wings

Old
03-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Detroit had wasted a lot of 1st round picks in the last 15 years also.
since 1996, they've had two 1st rounders that busted. they've only had 6 1st rounders in that time.

jesse wallin and tom mccollum.

all the other ones were traded for talent.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:53 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
since 1996, they've had two 1st rounders that busted. they've only had 6 1st rounders in that time.

jesse wallin and tom mccollum.

all the other ones were traded for talent.
Wait, so 29th overall Niklas Kronwall was wasted talent? How about Brendan Smith, is he wasted talent, too?

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Wait, so 29th overall Niklas Kronwall was wasted talent? How about Brendan Smith, is he wasted talent, too?

I think you mis-read. Detroit has only had two 1st's that busted since 96', in Jesse Wallin, and Tom McCollum. The other 1st rounders they've had, didn't, and that includes Kronwall, Smith, etc.

All the other 1st rounders were traded for talent, i.e. deadline deals like Lang and whatnot. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I think you mis-read. Detroit has only had two 1st's that busted since 96', in Jesse Wallin, and Tom McCollum. The other 1st rounders they've had, didn't, and that includes Kronwall, Smith, etc.

All the other 1st rounders were traded for talent, i.e. deadline deals like Lang and whatnot. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
That's more clear. I mis-read your original post.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
That's more clear. I mis-read your original post.
You didn't misread it. That's what he/she said.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
You didn't misread it. That's what he/she said.
No, I misread it. After he/she explained what they meant, it was clear I misread it.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
I don't know how you can call a draft pick from 2 years ago a home run.

Oh, and is DeKeyser going to play for the Redwings this season?
By looking at the potential they have...

Mrazek, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul, Pulkkinen, Sheahan, Jurco is looking like a pretty good haul right now.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Detroit had wasted a lot of 1st round picks in the last 15 years also.
Not at all true.

Quote:
Well, I guess Brendan Smith and Niklas Kronwall weren't wasted.
Our 1sts in the past 15 drafts have been Fischer, Kronwall, Smith, Kindl, McCollum, and Sheahan. By the time of his medical incident in 2005, Fischer had already won a Cup and was well on his way to being an excellent shutdown defenseman with offensive upside. Kronwall is, needless to say, not a bust, nor is Smith, and Kindl is finally showing his talent this season. Sheahan is having a great season in the AHL.

McCollum is having a rough ride. That's 1/6. If you consider that every single one of them has gone in the 2nd half of the 1st round---Kindl was the highest, at 19th---that's pretty darned good.

Last edited by Crymson: 03-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Detroit drafts very well.
What they don't do well is give their youngsters opportunities

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
where can I find a list of recent college free agents

i know Bozak and the kid in Edmonton
Jeremy Welsh with Carolina last year.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Possibly playing Thursday.

Quote:
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 17m
Babcock sort of hinted at possibility of DeKeyser playing Thursday but also said with Quincey and Lashoff due back that he'll have options.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Petes2424

It is absolutely amazing how good Dekeyser has already been after only 5 NHL games. I encourage people who havent watched him play to do so tonight against LA. I know they were slobbering all over him on the HNIC broadcast Saturday but it was absolutely just. The Wings have landed a player who's already a better NHL defenseman than most the young/prospects discussed on here.. for free...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
kihei

vCash: 3202
He looked incredibly poised. Amazing really. He just stepped right in without missing a beat. I was going, "who is that guy?"

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
He looked incredibly poised. Amazing really. He just stepped right in without missing a beat. I was going, "who is that guy?"
It just goes to show people that there's really a different form of development on any particular player. He looks like he's been out there for 10 years and they're even putting him on the pp now. Very good player. I have watched him play for a long time but you just dont know how guys are going to react to NHL speed. I honestly thought he'd need a year in the AHL just to get used to playing against grown men and the speed. Not a chance though. He's already a top 4 guy as is. Some guys are better against better players and he's definitely one of those guys..

Old
04-24-2013, 09:00 PM
tfong

Dekeyser vs Schultz, who do you want?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
I've come away impressed when I've seen him play. A lot of poise for a 22 year old, and his first pass is as good as any.

Would like to see him play against tougher competition before I proclaim him a future superstar or anything, but, yeah, he looks very promising. Nice signing by Detroit.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Schultz

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Schultz has such offensive ability so you'd still probably lean that way but after 6 games in the NHL, Dekeyser is already a better all around player and it's not even close. If Schultz works on his game within his own zone, which is getting better btw, he'd be my pick still but really, Dekeyser has been nothing short of great.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Bluesman91

Watched the LA-DET game and wow I'm impressed by how Dekeyser looks on the ice. Reminds me a bit of Pietrangelo's game.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
The Nose

He's completely surprised me. Not sure what his offensive ceiling is, but he is rock solid defensively and can skate with the best of him. Still needs to put on weight, he's really skinny.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:22 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Watched the LA-DET game and wow I'm impressed by how Dekeyser looks on the ice. Reminds me a bit of Pietrangelo's game.
You mean minus the offensive creativity?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:48 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

DD has been extremely impressive thus far, despite the short sample size. He saw top-PP minutes tonight with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Schultz has such offensive ability so you'd still probably lean that way but after 6 games in the NHL, Dekeyser is already a better all around player and it's not even close. If Schultz works on his game within his own zone, which is getting better btw, he'd be my pick still but really, Dekeyser has been nothing short of great.
Schultz is getting top minutes as a rookie on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

His +/- is obscenely bad, but I don't think that's reflective of his play this season. The Oilers might ruin his development at this point, they've pretty much thrown him to the wolves. Guy's already playing 20+ minutes a game and he's been in the NHL for 40 games. His defense has always been the question mark, and putting a player like Schultz into that role, so quickly, has made his stat-line look bad. Hopefully, for their sake, he ends up like Del Zotto and is able to rebound. He's got more tools than Del Zotto, IMO, and a better head on his shoulders. There's a lot of upside in this game, when I watched him play in college, he reminded me a bit of Dan Boyle the way he played in the offensive zone. I've also read a Wade Redden comparison, which is a compliment when you think of how good Redden was in his prime.

The sample size from DeKeyser is small, and unlike Schultz, DeKeyser has played lesser minutes against 3rd/4th liners thus far. He looks promising thus far, that's for sure, but I'd say it's far too premature or even accurate to proclaim DeKeyser the better all around player. I think he has the potential to be, but he hasn't proven it yet.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:40 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
DeKeyser has played 9 games now...

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
DeKeyser has shown poise in a way that I didn't think possible. Kindl wasn't given the opportunities to play in previous years because he was behind better players on better teams, Ericsson has been pushed into a stay-at-home role but also never shown the offensive defenseman talent Kindl has (he's played well offensively when he's reverted back to being a forward which he was through most of his development), and Smith might have a higher offensive ceiling than DeKeyser, but his poise has been an issue; an understandable one since he's a rookie... but that's just what make's DeKeyser's poise that much more impressive. I should say that Ericsson has become a better offensive defenseman in terms of breakout passes and passes in the offensive zone (which is the baseline standard by which a defenseman's offensive ability should be judged), but Kindl has shown more tangible offensive D-man skills, most importantly the point play on the PP. DeKeyser might be a very mobile d-man who never gets that PP ability/point shot, but he's a huge benefit to this team already. He seems to be a big part of the confidence through the end of the season. I think it's because he already seems to have the best breakout pass of anyone including Kronner. Though Kronner (and Ericsson) plays against better lines, so it's debatable, but it's still worth noting that DeKeyser has far exceeded expectations.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote