HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Kovalchuk underrated?

View Poll Results: See thread title
Yes 24 30.38%
He's rated fairly IMO 48 60.76%
He's overrated actually, (specify why) 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2013, 02:14 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I see your point but I do think Kessel, at his age, has more room to learn the team game and Kovi has done the best he can despite being developed as a one-way player.

I don't know what happened in the playoffs last year but in a tight 7-game series I'd take Parise against most teams over Kovi.

I feel like when Kovi is on the ice the team is trying to get the puck to him to score but guys like Parise go out and get the puck and create the opportunities from scratch.
Possibly, but Kovy has made some enormous strides defensively the past few years.. you can hardly call him a one-way player nowadays. Let's see where Kessel goes.

Playoffs last year? Parise was almost invisible and Kovy outshined him despite playing with a herniated disc. That's only one playoff run though. Kovalchuk is definitely the more dangerous player between the two.

You still see the Devils forcing the puck to him on the powerplay but that has largely disappeared at even strength now. It was a major problem his first season and a half here. Can hardly blame that on Kovalchuk though. His forechecking has also gotten pretty good.

Again, Parise.. there's an argument. There's not many though that would land in the same boat.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:24 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
120 giveaways in one season would never be possible by Malkin, nor being a perennial minus player year in and year out regardless of the team. Kovi is a bigger liability than Kessel.
blatant crime of statswatching

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:51 AM
22FUTON9

if you carry the puck as much as kovalchuk, you're gonna have your give aways.

I'd say he was the go-to guy on the devils, during their playoff run last year.

He's a top 10 player for sure.

22FUTON9 is offline   Reply With Quote