HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2013-2014 News Around The NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

vCash: 500
I'm sure he's playing with a greater sense of urgency. He can't have too many chances left at the NHL level. I'm happy to see that Torts is getting more out of him.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Really, he was garbage when he finished third on the team in scoring? He is carrying our secondary scoring and looks incredibly slick while doing it.
He clicked really well with Booth, capitalized on his chance and took off. He was awful since then and his trade was warranted. Big time.

Good for him, hope it keeps up.

10-27-2013, 07:30 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
who are his linemates? that and confidence (chicken and egg...) probably explain things.
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler has been the first line and Torts has riden the **** outta them, but he's generally carried the second wave - Chris Higgins-David Booth-Jannik Hansen have been the linemates.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler has been the first line and Torts has riden the **** outta them, but he's generally carried the second wave - Chris Higgins-David Booth-Jannik Hansen have been the linemates.
How much time with Booth? That was his line mate when he did so well.

Also, Isles get Vanek for Moulson, 1st, and 2015 2nd.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

Nice to see the Isles try to do something significant to improve themselves, unlike us!

Old
10-27-2013, 08:05 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

That's an overpayment on the Islanders part I feel. The 2nd rounder was too much imo.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
That's an overpayment on the Islanders part I feel.
I thought Moulson was a bigger part of their team than that.

Vanek and JT though... That's hard to pass up.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
I thought Moulson was a bigger part of their team than that.

Vanek and JT though... That's hard to pass up.
Ya I like the way the Islanders are building but they need a #1 Goalie waiting in the wings with Evgeni at 38yrs old. Poulin isn't that guy.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Ya I like the way the Islanders are building but they need a #1 Goalie waiting in the wings with Evgeni at 38yrs old. Poulin isn't that guy.
The Islanders are getting there. It gives me a warm feeling to see them doing well again. That's the team I grew up watching as a kid.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

The Panthers will get there. I live in Colorado and have been watching the Avs rebuild for a few years now. They went through this. A grinding season where they made the playoffs and then they fell off a cliff for two seasons. This Avs team has taken a lot of lumps. The losing streaks over the last two seasons were hard to watch.

A coaching change with young players maturing physically and BOOM!

I'm still waiting for the fall though with them because they've been hot starters before. They look overall better this year though.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:33 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Not saying I don't like the trade for the Isles because Vanek lights the lamp very well, I thought Snow would go after Miller and shore up his goaltending for years to come. With Miller in net, the Islanders would become a real threat and Buffalo could afford Nabokov for the rest of the year and then decide if Enroth is ready for the #1. (assuming Buffalo takes Evgeni in the trade)

Miller > Vanek imo and I know it's impossible to compare player vs goalie.

I think JT has the ability to make Vanek or Moulson look good. Time will tell who won this trade.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Cats Kneading Goals
#1 Fanthers Pan!

Quote:
Not saying I don't like the trade for the Isles because Vanek lights the lamp very well, I thought Snow would go after Miller and shore up his goaltending for years to come. With Miller in net, the Islanders would become a real threat and Buffalo could afford Nabokov for the rest of the year and then decide if Enroth is ready for the #1. (assuming Buffalo takes Evgeni in the trade)

Miller > Vanek imo and I know it's impossible to compare player vs goalie.

I think JT has the ability to make Vanek or Moulson look good. Time will tell who won this trade.
Vanek and Miller would be nice if they could afford it.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Nice to see the Isles try to do something significant to improve themselves, unlike us!
The Isles are a solid playoff team already and acquiring Vanek gives them a chance to go deep. There's a good chance that 1st will be in the #20 -30 range. We are a team that's definitely not headed to the playoffs. Giving up our 1st would have been extremely dumb. Give up our 1st for Vanek, MAYBE make the playoffs, and god knows what else we would have to give up. Moulson is a solid player so I shudder to think what the equivalent of that would have been for us.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
The Panthers will get there. I live in Colorado and have been watching the Avs rebuild for a few years now. They went through this. A grinding season where they made the playoffs and then they fell off a cliff for two seasons. This Avs team has taken a lot of lumps. The losing streaks over the last two seasons were hard to watch.

A coaching change with young players maturing physically and BOOM!

I'm still waiting for the fall though with them because they've been hot starters before. They look overall better this year though.
This. I know some Panthers fans are tired of hearing it, especially because of the 10 year drought we had before which makes it much more agonizing, but our time is coming soon. All the teams at the top of the league now sucked badly for at least 3 years, before they started turning it around. We've had some so-so picks recently, but we've also made some dandies in Huberdeau and Barkov. Bjugstad has looked good. Trocheck is doing great in the AHL. It's coming. I really feel next season is going to be an exciting one for us. Viola coming in now just gives it that much more potential.

Old
10-27-2013, 10:26 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

If we have to lose Versteeg, i would have LOVED to snag Moulson...

Old
10-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Erick

I don't think that that's a good trade for the Islanders.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:06 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
This doesn't improve them at all long term, as Vanek isn't going to sign there. Unless they win a cup this year, this sets them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The Isles are a solid playoff team already and acquiring Vanek gives them a chance to go deep. There's a good chance that 1st will be in the #20 -30 range. We are a team that's definitely not headed to the playoffs. Giving up our 1st would have been extremely dumb. Give up our 1st for Vanek, MAYBE make the playoffs, and god knows what else we would have to give up. Moulson is a solid player so I shudder to think what the equivalent of that would have been for us.
Disagree with bolded. They were an 8th to 11th place team that went to a 7th to 9th place team. They have no capable backup goalie and no long term solution in net, and just moved a good player who loved Long Island for someone who'll score 5 more goals and back check who may as well already have a St Paul's driving license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't think that that's a good trade for the Islanders.
I agree, they've now traded Moulson, Nino and 2 high picks and still haven't addressed their most important need: goaltending. I don't think they win a playoff series.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Crossbar

It's a very good return for the Sabres, but I'll stick to my original statement, great to see the Isles try to do something significant. Vanek is an elite winger and if he clicks with JT, it could be another great duo in the East. I wasn't implying the Panthers should have traded for Vanek, just that the Isles saw an upgrade available and went for it, where as the Panthers aren't upgrading jack.

Old
10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
It's a very good return for the Sabres, but I'll stick to my original statement, great to see the Isles try to do something significant. Vanek is an elite winger and if he clicks with JT, it could be another great duo in the East. I wasn't implying the Panthers should have traded for Vanek, just that the Isles saw an upgrade available and went for it, where as the Panthers aren't upgrading jack.
islanders can make a case for themselves if they get a steady goaltender

Old
10-28-2013, 09:06 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

It's a win for Buffalo because they can flip Moulson for more picks at the TDL, but it's not like this is a massive loss to Isles either. Those two picks aren't worth much to a team that's already filled from top to bottom with young talent, and IIRC I read on the trade board last week that Moulson has been dropped down in the depth chart to favour the kids that have played better than him.

Thou they aren't going to make proper noise in the playoffs until they get a real goalie, we saw that already last year.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Thou they aren't going to make proper noise in the playoffs until they get a real goalie, we saw that already last year.
You think so? I watched the Islanders a lot last year, and Nabokov was really good. I just thought he got burnt out at the end of the season and it carried over to the playoffs. I still think they need a proper backup and a goalie for the future, but I think Nabokov can be relied on for now. What would you want them to do?

Old
10-28-2013, 04:01 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235

Old
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
You think so? I watched the Islanders a lot last year, and Nabokov was really good. I just thought he got burnt out at the end of the season and it carried over to the playoffs. I still think they need a proper backup and a goalie for the future, but I think Nabokov can be relied on for now. What would you want them to do?
The thing about Nabby is, no matter how good he usually is during the regular season, you can always rely that he'll break down in the postseason.

Don't know if it's a mental thing or he's just so dead tired at that point.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Disagree with bolded. They were an 8th to 11th place team that went to a 7th to 9th place team. They have no capable backup goalie and no long term solution in net, and just moved a good player who loved Long Island for someone who'll score 5 more goals and back check who may as well already have a St Paul's driving license.
They are in 7th place right now and looking good. They are a playoff team. They're better than you give them credit for. If Vanek can click with Tavares, then they are a virtual lock for a playoff spot. Backup goalie doesn't matter a ton, they don't rely on their goaltending that much to win games anyway. Whether they have a long term answer in net or not is irrelevant, they are a playoff team right now. Again, whether Vanek signs or not is irrelevant. I didn't say anything about liking this trade for the Isles. I said they are a playoff team. This season. They are a playoff team.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:27 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
They're better than you give them credit for.
They're really not, but I don't want to squabble about the Islanders In other nhl news, I think the Oilers will be the team to beat our dubious 12 season run of no playoffs. This year will make 8, and I don't see them turning it around any time soon.

Closed Thread