HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

if we struggle this year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  #1
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
if we struggle this year

if we struggle this year with the scoring and defense, i think this team needs another coach, you can say the we got to the finals in 2010 was a fluke because the teams we played were good matchups for us, last couple of years, those teams are better than us, plus his stanley cup run was a fluke with carolina because of the lockout and the teams they played were good match ups for them, it's the same with the flyers accept we didnt win a cup.

this team needs a new direction, they need a coach that can do the trap, that's what great teams are doing now, it doesnt matter how many great players on this team if they cant score and struggle on defense, this team needs a coach that has the same philosophy of what most Stanley cup winning are doing to win cups which is the trap.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
  #2
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
As ever, what this team needs most is a goaltender.

Lavi has made some tactical errors in the past couple of years, particularly in line matching during playoffs vs Boston and New Jersey and I think his act can wear thin on players, but I don't think he's the first place to look.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
  #3
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,672
vCash: 500
What makes you think we might have difficulty scoring? We were second in the league in scoring last year.

I have no problems with Laviolette as our coach. He's not on a short leash. We've made the playoffs every year under his tenure and we've won several rounds as well, even reaching the finals with a waiver pickup in net. Laviolette can't fill the holes we have from losing Pronger and signing a lunatic for a goalie.

I see no reason to fire Laviolette even if we do indeed struggle this year.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
  #4
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
One thing is you can never discredit is a champion. It wasn't a fluke when your team wins 16 games to capture the most prized sport in the world. Maybe one or two games they were fluke wins, but come on, you can not be serious(also that is the longest sentence I have ever read lol. Yours not mine).

You are proposing the Flyers need a new coach and direction when they have not played a single game on the new year. Seems logical that you already marked us down to lose and struggle. All last year you complained we needed a new coach also. They just signed lavy to a new deal, so your wish isn't going to happen unless the teams starts out absolutely miserably. Judging from the last few years playing under Lavy, this team has the ability to get to the playoffs and won't struggle to make the playoffs.

Instead of putting everything on the coach, we also should put some responsibility on the players, Briere and other need to be more aware defensively. Every year we always think the team will struggle with scoring, yet they always come out and are in the top 10.

OH YEA, BRYZ


Last edited by Prongo: 01-07-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
  #5
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Yes, I don't think Lavi should go either. Sorry

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
  #6
CootaRoo
Registered User
 
CootaRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
The Richards Carter trades coupled with the Pronger injury has lengthened Lavi's leash considerably, I'd imagine. In fact, I expect that he has outperformed expectations (middle seeding+playoff round win last season) with his squad since those occurenences - even before factoring in Bryz's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide routine last season.

Long story short, Lavi is this team's coach for the foreseeable future unless the team completely tanks (which could be said about most coaches in the league).

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
  #7
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Why not let us look at things in a positive light?

we are NOT the Leafs.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
  #8
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,542
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
The Richards Carter trades coupled with the Pronger injury has lengthened Lavi's leash considerably, I'd imagine. In fact, I expect that he has outperformed expectations (middle seeding+playoff round win last season) with his squad since those occurenences - even before factoring in Bryz's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide routine last season.

Long story short, Lavi is this team's coach for the foreseeable future unless the team completely tanks (which could be said about most coaches in the league).
I second that. They definitely did better than I expected last year after those massive changes, and I know I'm not alone.

Edit @ TF83: Oh, and you know what doesn't happen as a fluke? Winning a Cup and then coming within one game of doing it again a few years later. Lavi is a good coach, and I have to question why you're trying to set him up as a scapegoat before a single game is played.

He has his flaws, but it's not his fault he can't rub his hands together and magically heal a battered roster.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #9
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
oy vey !

negadelphia appears early this year !

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
  #10
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
if we struggle this year with the scoring and defense, i think this team needs another coach, you can say the we got to the finals in 2010 was a fluke because the teams we played were good matchups for us, last couple of years, those teams are better than us, plus his stanley cup run was a fluke with carolina because of the lockout and the teams they played were good match ups for them, it's the same with the flyers accept we didnt win a cup.

this team needs a new direction, they need a coach that can do the trap, that's what great teams are doing now, it doesnt matter how many great players on this team if they cant score and struggle on defense, this team needs a coach that has the same philosophy of what most Stanley cup winning are doing to win cups which is the trap.
So, everything that has happened is a fluke and all the unknowns are reality?

Tell me more...

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
  #11
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,678
vCash: 50
Laviollete is a really good coach. As other has said he has made some mistakes. Every coach makes mistakes. We all love to play "Monday Morning Quarterback" when it comes to disecting what Lavi needs to do or what he has done that has been wrong.
He got us to within ONE GAME of game 7 of the Cup Final with Leighton and Boucher as our goalies for God sakes. I also believe there isnt another other coach who could of got more out of his team that what Laviollete did last year.

.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  #12
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
There isn't another coach employed by an NHL team right now that I'd rather have than Peter Laviolette.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
  #13
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Laviollete is a really good coach. As other has said he has made some mistakes. Every coach makes mistakes. We all love to play "Monday Morning Quarterback" when it comes to disecting what Lavi needs to do or what he has done that has been wrong.
He got us to within ONE GAME of game 7 of the Cup Final with Leighton and Boucher as our goalies for God sakes. I also believe there isnt another other coach who could of got more out of his team that what Laviollete did last year.

.
I agree, and like Lavi a lot. He is calm and collected when he needs to (Boston, Game 7, "One goal"), but he will also punch you right in your freaking head (Leino) if he is pumped up. How can you not like him?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
  #14
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
One thing is you can never discredit is a champion. It wasn't a fluke when your team wins 16 games to capture the most prized sport in the world. Maybe one or two games they were fluke wins, but come on, you can not be serious(also that is the longest sentence I have ever read lol. Yours not mine).

You are proposing the Flyers need a new coach and direction when they have not played a single game on the new year. Seems logical that you already marked us down to lose and struggle. All last year you complained we needed a new coach also. They just signed lavy to a new deal, so your wish isn't going to happen unless the teams starts out absolutely miserably. Judging from the last few years playing under Lavy, this team has the ability to get to the playoffs and won't struggle to make the playoffs.

Instead of putting everything on the coach, we also should put some responsibility on the players, Briere and other need to be more aware defensively. Every year we always think the team will struggle with scoring, yet they always come out and are in the top 10.

OH YEA, BRYZ
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row? both times they looked flat, it's not because of the goaltending, it's because both times they looked flat and outcoached if want goaltending as a scapegoat then wait another 10-20 years until they find a coach that can win it all.

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
  #15
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row?

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.
Coaches are hired to be fired. It's the nature of the job in most sports. Ever hear the cliche, "you can't fire all the players, but you can fire the coach"?

When Laviolette was fired 2 years after winning the Cup, Rutherford re-hired one of his best friends, Paul Maurice. There was speculation about him "owing" Maurice. Hardly what I'd consider a black eye on Peter's resume.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,542
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row?

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.
We have 2 amnesty buyouts over the course of the next 2 offseasons. We aren't stuck with Bryz if management decides they don't want him.

"Mediocre" franchises don't go to the finals 4 times in the last 30 years while making they playoffs nearly every year. That sounds like a good recipe for success, actually. It's not easy to win a Cup, but the Flyers are routinely in good position to make a run. You act like we're the Islanders.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
  #17
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row? both times they looked flat, it's not because of the goaltending, it's because both times they looked flat and outcoached if want goaltending as a scapegoat then wait another 10-20 years until they find a coach that can win it all.

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.
If we never win nothing, than that means we win something all the time

Who cares why Carolina let Lavi go, what have they done since? Your point about Boston and NJ is pretty misguided since Boston won the cup, and NJ went to the Finals. Using your logic, every team in the NHL should have fired their coach when Boston won the Cup and every team in the East should have fired their coach last year.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
  #18
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,678
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row? both times they looked flat, it's not because of the goaltending, it's because both times they looked flat and outcoached if want goaltending as a scapegoat then wait another 10-20 years until they find a coach that can win it all.

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.
here is a news flash. are you sitting down?
coaches get fired. or they resign. its the nature of the beast. Take a look around the NHL and find me one coach who hasnt been around awhile that hasnt been canned. It happens.
The Flyers werent beating the Bruins when the Bruins won it all. Last year I guess you forgot this team was descimated with injuries. what did we have 11 players go under the knife?
I am sorry the Flyers dont play goon hockey anymore. But this is a fast and tough team that is a playoff team every season. You get into the playoffs anything can happen. Just look at 2010.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
  #19
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Ah, we go from negativity over the lockout to negativity over the Flyers, feels like home. Toughfighter83 is like, Level 97 negative. He's a pro.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
  #20
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Ah, we go from negativity over the lockout to negativity over the Flyers, feels like home. Toughfighter83 is like, Level 97 negative. He's a pro.
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
  #21
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,542
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?
Considering your disproportionate negativity, I think you've confused this team with the Leafs.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
  #22
Fresh34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Well, we're due to face the Devils and Rangers even more this year with a condensed schedule. Two teams that owned us last year, and the way they did it was by out-coaching us, in my opinion. Throwing an aggressive forecheck at us, playing more fast paced and physical, Lavy just never had an answer for them.

That being said, Lavy is the best coach for this team right now. I can't think of a better option.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
  #23
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
There isn't another coach employed by an NHL team right now that I'd rather have than Peter Laviolette.
totally agreed.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  #24
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?
As it has been already stated, it's your absurd amount of negativity. Like you are unfathomably negative to the point where it really seems fake.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  #25
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,246
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?
well if this is your argument, then no team that hasn't won anything before will ever win anything in the future.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.