HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How long before the Flames make the playoffs again?

View Poll Results: When will the Calgary Flames make the playoffs again?
1-2 years 6 6.00%
3-5 years 38 38.00%
5-7 years 35 35.00%
7-10 years 5 5.00%
More than 10 years 16 16.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2013, 01:57 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

vCash: 500
How long before the Flames make the playoffs again?

1 year?.. 3 years?.. 5 years?.. 7 years?.. 10 years?

It took us 7 years to make the playoffs again last time (2004), but we also had a 26-year-old Jarome Iginla, 27-year-old Miikka Kiprusoff, and 24-year-old Robyn Regehr carry us. Plus we had just drafted Dion Phaneuf.

This time around we have none of that. Our best prospect currently is F Sven Baertschi (AHL). Our best goaltending prospect is Karri Ramo (KHL), followed by Jon Gillies (NCAA), and Laurent Brossoit (WHL). Our best defensive prospect is T.J. Brodie, who's already with the Flames. And of course, we have no centre depth to speak of whatsoever (what else is new?) Our only other notable prospects are LW Johnny Gaudreau and C Mark Jankowski, also both in the NCAA.

So the million dollar question is - will the Calgary Flames be the next Philadelphia Flyers (1 year rebuild), Toronto Maple Leafs (9 year rebuild), or Edmonton Oilers (never-ending rebuild)? Philadelphia is definitely out of the question. If Jay Feaster (or his replacement) plays his cards right, I think we might be able to make the playoffs again in 5-7 years, otherwise we'll be in Toronto Maple Leafs/Edmonton Oilers territory!

Last edited by flameaholic: 03-30-2013 at 02:02 AM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Assuming Feaster's job lasts another year or so at most... 3-5yrs. If he's still there 3yrs from now... could be much more painfully long.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

~5 years, last year I thought they could pull off a quick 2/3 year rebuild by trading Iginla and Kiprusoff, but flash forward to present day, Iginla gets traded for peanuts and Kiprusoff outright refuses to be traded (although I understand the players' sides of the story). The Flames don't have enough pieces in place for a quick rebuild like Montreal/Ottawa.

Also, Oilers rebuild is in year 3?

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
On the back end of 3-5.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:05 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

The team reminds me so much of the leafs 5 years ago, sorry flames fans.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
ponder

They just lost Iggy for basically nothing, they already lost Phaneuf for basically nothing, and they'll likely lose Kipper for nothing to retirement fairly soon. Their prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, they have very little young talent in general, and now their vets suck too. The future is extremely bleak for the Flames, this is going to be a very long, very hard rebuild. I voted 5-7 years, not counting this year, which will almost certainly be a miss as well. Including the years they've already missed (this year will make 4 straight and counting), it could easily be 10+ straight seasons without a trip to the playoffs for this team.

Last edited by ponder: 03-30-2013 at 11:34 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
SP

My initial reaction was 5 years, but since I think 7 is a lot more likely than 3, I went with 5-7.

They'll have to spend a couple years drafting well, then giving those prospects a few years of development before they can make a real impact.

Of course, they could be the Sens and have it come together fairly quickly with some decent drafting, prospects surprising you and solid coaching. Or they could be the Leafs and spend the better part of a decade farting around.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Kezia
egg

vCash: 50
five to seven

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Leafs21

Around 5 years. You guys need some help and fast, sorry to say.

Leafs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
3-5 years, I guess.

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebdafor norris View Post
The team reminds me so much of the leafs 5 years ago, sorry flames fans.
That's okay, they remind me of the Leafs too! We even have Toronto's first line center post Mats Sundin - Matt Stajan.

This year will mark the 4th straight season Calgary will miss the playoffs, plus I will add another 5-7 years for the rebuild. I'm just going to go ahead and predict an entire decade will go by before the Flames make the playoffs again.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:02 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
That's okay, they remind me of the Leafs too! We even have Toronto's first line center post Mats Sundin - Matt Stajan.

This year will mark the 4th straight season Calgary will miss the playoffs, plus I will add another 5-7 years for the rebuild. I'm just going to go ahead and predict an entire decade will go by before the Flames make the playoffs again.

Agreed. The funny thing is that every NHL fan and their mothers have seen this coming for a good 3-5 years. It's been insanely obviously that a rebuild has been necessary for a very long time, but management continued to add "meh" veterans to an aging, flawed core to keep them tread-milling in no-man's-land (not bad enough to draft a superstar, not good enough to make the playoffs). A few years ago they could have got some terrific young players for Iginla, Kipper, Tanguay, Jokinen, Bourque, etc., and they should have got way more for Phaneuf. Then they'd also be sitting on a few top 3 picks by now, because they would have tanked without their vets. Instead they hold on to their vets until they lose all their value, and delay the tanking by years when it was clearly necessary all along.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:12 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
~5 years, last year I thought they could pull off a quick 2/3 year rebuild by trading Iginla and Kiprusoff, but flash forward to present day, Iginla gets traded for peanuts and Kiprusoff outright refuses to be traded (although I understand the players' sides of the story). The Flames don't have enough pieces in place for a quick rebuild like Montreal/Ottawa.

Also, Oilers rebuild is in year 3?
It depends on when you think the Oilers started the rebuild... When they were clearly the worst team in the league, or a little bit later when the media started saying "I guess they've started a rebuild"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Agreed. The funny thing is that every NHL fan and their mothers have seen this coming for a good 3-5 years. It's been insanely obviously that a rebuild has been necessary for a very long time, but management continued to add "meh" veterans to an aging, flawed core to keep them tread-milling in no-man's-land (not bad enough to draft a superstar, not good enough to make the playoffs). A few years ago they could have got some terrific young players for Iginla, Kipper, Tanguay, Jokinen, Bourque, etc., and they should have got way more for Phaneuf. Then they'd also be sitting on a few top 3 picks by now, because they would have tanked without their vets. Instead they hold on to their vets until they lose all their value, and delay the tanking by years when it was clearly necessary all along.
You don't need to be awful to be good.

Look at Boston - only twice in the last 11 seasons have they finished below 17th in the league. The last time Vancouver finished worse than 21st was when they drafted the Sedins in 1998-1999. Detroit has been a contender for how many years in a row? San Jose was one of the best teams in the league between lockouts, and people will rag on them for "playoff success" but they were something like 5th in the league in playoff wins.

Calgary dug their own grave in being unable to trade players - literally half their team had NTCs before Iginla moved. They couldn't possibly have made the moves you suggested.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:22 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
It depends on when you think the Oilers started the rebuild... When they were clearly the worst team in the league, or a little bit later when the media started saying "I guess they've started a rebuild"...

You don't need to be awful to be good.

Look at Boston - only twice in the last 11 seasons have they finished below 17th in the league. The last time Vancouver finished worse than 21st was when they drafted the Sedins in 1998-1999. Detroit has been a contender for how many years in a row? San Jose was one of the best teams in the league between lockouts, and people will rag on them for "playoff success" but they were something like 5th in the league in playoff wins.

Calgary dug their own grave in being unable to trade players - literally half their team had NTCs before Iginla moved. They couldn't possibly have made the moves you suggested.
If you have a good core to build around, of course you don't have to tank. However, Calgary for AGES have had little to no young talent, terrible prospects, a poorly constructed team in general, that has been propped up by a few aging veterans (Iginla, Kipper, Tanguay). When your team is old, your prospects suck, and you're STILL not a playoff team, that's an incredibly clear sign that you need to rebuild. This has been the case for Calgary for years, but they've refused to acknowledge the obvious. Now they will pay the price.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

3 to 5 years. You can't predict anything beyond that.

Five years is a huge timespan in hockey. You can overhaul a whole team within 2 years if you really go for it.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
TrillMike

Prob right at 5.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
They just lost Iggy for basically nothing, they already lost Phaneuf for basically nothing, and they'll likely lose Kipper for nothing to retirement fairly soon. Their prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, they have very little young talent in general, and now their vets suck too. The future is extremely bleak for the Flames, this is going to be a very long, very hard rebuild. I voted 5-7 years, not counting this year, which will almost certainly be a miss as well. Including the years they've already missed (this year will make 4 straight and counting), it could easily be 10+ straight seasons without a trip to the playoffs for this team.
It's possible worst case that exists for many teams but it's a very strong draft with the Flames picking near the top, some of their young guys could make the jump and Bam they could be back in the next year or 2.

It's really too early to tell right now because the turnover on NHL teams post lockout is quite large.

I voted 1-2 years with about a 40% chance of getting in.

People forget next year the west will have less teams and the same # of playoff spots.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
jameswrjobe53

Whenever they make the 9 seed in the playoffs?

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:55 PM
tony d
Ruffles in Space

Within the next 3-5 yrs. They need to get a bigger investment on the players they trade though. Iginla should have gotten back a lot more than what he did.

03-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Roman Reigns
Hextall**Criss Angel

Depends how well they draft in the next couple of years. Ill say 5

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:20 AM
KingsFan7824

Few teams can turn things around in 1 year, and Calgary definitively isn't one of those teams. They're not a destination for players(very few western teams are, other than hometown type stuff). They have to give every guy that signs there a NTC or NMC. That was with Iginla, and a team that was at least making it look like they wanted to compete.

Now, with no Iginla, and with what looks to be a roster that is going to go through a decent amount of change, Calgary could be fairly irrelevant in the league for a few years. That's the main reason they held onto Iginla all these years, even as everyone was saying it's time to rebuild. Iginla was still a name. Now they're just the non-playoff Calgary Flames.

Calgary has to draft and develop well though. They have to get a couple guys from every draft. If they do get high picks, they can't blow it. They have to get a franchise type center, because it's unlikely to happen in free agency or trade.

If Calgary does it right, and gets a little luck here and there in terms of draft picks, somewhere around 5 years sounds about right.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Five to seven

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:26 PM
LukeD
On Fire

This year. We're still Going For It.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:00 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

I surprised at the number of people voting 3-5. That's being overly optimistic. Judging by the history of this franchise, it'll be at least another 5-7 years before the Flames make the playoffs again. And that's me being optimistic.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
bp spec

46 years.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote