HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Hodgson Trade Discussion

Ok, due to much demand, this thread is back. Have at it, but please be respectful.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I agree with you about Hodgson's work ethic, at least when it comes to scoring. IMO Kassian showed the same thing this offseason and made huge strides. So if he can be as committed to improving as Hodgson... along with his greater physical gifts... and he's a much better team guy... it's not hard to see how we win in the end.
The problem with proclaiming us winners if Kassian is as good as Hodgson in 3 years is the fact that the next 3 years could be this organizations best chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 decades. Having the superior player now is extremely valuable and has to play into the decision of whether or not we 'won' the trade.

I don't begrudge Gillis for dealing Hodgson. If a player is being a malcontent it forces your hand. It's the notion that we built him up to be better than he was that I find makes Gillis look silly. Especially now when Hodgson sits 4th in the NHL in even strength points behind Crosby, Stamkos and E. Staal.

As of right now, it's hard to say we're even money or better to win this trade. It's possible, just not probable.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
You can't talk one without the other, they'll be connected for the rest of their careers. I like Kassian but I'm not so sure AV is the coach who will get the best from him. It pains me to say it but a Carlyle would be a better fit for that.
I'm just ****ing sick of reading about Hodgson this and Hodgson that on the Canucks forum. You would think he was the guy that said "I love you" and then proceeded never to call you again after that one night, judging by the way some people pine after him.

We just need to give Kassian time...as we did with Bertuzzi.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Johnny Canucker

Ever since he wanted his name pronounced all fancy, I stopped liking him.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Good player, sad to see him go. Wish him the best.

Glad we got a good player in return, happy to watch him grow.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The problem with proclaiming us winners if Kassian is as good as Hodgson in 3 years is the fact that the next 3 years could be this organizations best chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 decades. Having the superior player now is extremely valuable and has to play into the decision of whether or not we 'won' the trade.
Hodgson is every bit the long-term project that Kassian is. You can't trust the kid defensively, he's not ready to play a prominent role on a good team. You can't hide centre's in the playoffs. I disagree he's the superior player now, our coach wouldn't put the kid on the ice the way he's playing defensively, nor should he. The idea is to win hockey games... not have pretty boy out there racking up stats.

Quote:
I don't begrudge Gillis for dealing Hodgson. If a player is being a malcontent it forces your hand. It's the notion that we built him up to be better than he was that I find makes Gillis look silly. Especially now when Hodgson sits 4th in the NHL in even strength points behind Crosby, Stamkos and E. Staal.
You're projecting, Gillis never said that or anything close to it. They built up his value is not the same as they built him to be something he's not.

Quote:
As of right now, it's hard to say we're even money or better to win this trade. It's possible, just not probable.
I guess it depends where you're sitting because imo we've already won.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Wizeman*

I have no idea why an actual Canuck fan would care about this anymore. A Hodgson fan maybe, but a fan of this hockey team?

Not at this point .

Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50

Not gonna lie, the day Cody Hodgson was traded was one of the most upset days I have ever had. That hit me worse than losing the Cup.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Ever since he wanted his name pronounced all fancy, I stopped liking him.
You probably don't like that cocky Nick Yensen either eh?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Here's the thing peeps - salary cap + lower UFA. It's not like you lose these guys forever and never get a chance to sign a decent young player again. You'd think we were back in the 80/90s with 31 yo UFAs making twice the salary of 24 yo. Decent 24yos are getting the same coin as UFAs, the advantage is far less because it's all about capspace in todays world. Roy and Ribiero are about as UFAs they bring the same production Hodgson does.

Besides which Erik Karlsson is much better than Hodgson. Complain about how Hodgson cost us Karlsson if you want something to complain about.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:58 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

We traded the better hockey player. That is all there is to it. Hodgson plays a more important position, is more skilled. ''But we need to beat Boston'' lol.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Name the last Canuck that showed that much improvement in that amount of time.
Quote:
Neither play showed a greater leap forward in a 2 season span. Though they are 2 of the better comparables out there.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Hodgson is every bit the long-term project that Kassian is.

You're projecting, Gillis never said that or anything close to it. They built up his value is not the same as they built him to be something he's not.

I guess it depends where you're sitting because imo we've already won.
Strongly disagree with all 3 points.

Hodgson is clearly the better player at this point IMO.

Building up a player's value is saying you made them look better than they were.

I don't know how we've won the trade with a huge surplus of wingers, no centre depth and Kassian toiling on the 3rd and 4th line.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:01 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
RFA end of season.

"My dad told me I'm as good as Stamkos if someone just let me hang out at the other teams' blueline. So I want $8.0mil a year for 5 years. I'm willing to take a discount here if you give me Perraults #11. I'll take 8.0mil for that"

Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Probably more "fair" to compare Hodgson of last season to Kassian of this season (given age/draft year). Both times, players are/were "under the thumb" of AV.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:

Building up a player's value is saying you made them look better than they were.

I don't know how we've won the trade with a huge surplus of wingers, no centre depth and Kassian toiling on the 3rd and 4th line.
This.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Probably more "fair" to compare Hodgson of last season to Kassian of this season (given age/draft year). Both times, players are/were "under the thumb" of AV.
The difference here is that Hodgson could do absolutely no wrong last season to our fans. He could give up the puck 6 times a shift and there would be a ready made excuse.

Not sure why anyone thought Kassian would keep it up all season long. I stick to my 10 goals 10 assist season would be a success for him.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That is better when comparing the players head to head but when deciding who won the trade we have to look at what contributions we would have got from these players, last year and this year. Hodgson being a year older and further along in his development is what makes the trade look worse...

Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
You probably don't like that cocky Nick Yensen either eh?
Hes on the list.

Michalek
Nemchinov
Pariseeeee

All cocky SOBs

Old
03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That is better when comparing the players head to head but when deciding who won the trade we have to look at what contributions we would have got from these players, last year and this year. Hodgson being a year older and further along in his development is what makes the trade look worse...
What made this trade worse is that Gillis didn't bother on filling that hole he created by dealing Hodgson (center). Pahlsson wasn't a solution - either short or long-term wise.

I don't disagree that we didn't need to add muscle to our lineup but you aren't accomplishing much if you fix one hole by creating another.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I'm just ****ing sick of reading about Hodgson this and Hodgson that on the Canucks forum. You would think he was the guy that said "I love you" and then proceeded never to call you again after that one night, judging by the way some people pine after him.

We just need to give Kassian time...as we did with Bertuzzi.
This. Can we please just move the **** ON??!! Good God, whats next??!! 100+ pages about how we should've gotten Gilbert Perrault? The Cam Neely Trade Discussion?

No mas.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Johnny Canucker

I think 90% of us hope Hodgson doesnt do well secretly, so we can justify this trade. lol

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
i liked hodgson because he had a ridiculously good slapshot and had a penchant for nailing it right off the post and in - i like it not because it was a good shot but because it sounded good

to be honest if we kept him and he got 10g/10a but every one of those goals was a PING! SCORES goal id be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?
NO HEART. HEARTYLESS. SOFT FLOAT. GIMME SHANE DOAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Have at it, but please be respectful.
oops. whatever

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
This. Can we ease just move the **** ON??!! Good Hod, what's next??!! 100+ pages about how we should've gotten Gilbert Perrault? The Cam Neely Trade Discussion?

No mas.
I still can't believe we traded Bob Dailey.

Closed Thread