HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Rask didn't re sign this offseason?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:52 PM
bruinmann77

vCash: 500
If he leaves we just move on to the next man.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
RunFromTheBear

Would you do this?

To Boston:
2nd Round pick
Glencross
Bouwmeester
Kiprasoff

To Flames:
Rask
Caron
Bartkowski
3rd round pick

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinSG17 View Post
Would you do this?

To Boston:
2nd Round pick
Glencross
Bouwmeester
Kiprasoff

To Flames:
Rask
Caron
Bartkowski
3rd round pick
Yes - but Calgary won't and Kipper won't. Even if Kipper said yes - we would need to change that 3rd back to a first. Calgary's 2nd is almost a 1st anyways. Then maybe they would think about it.

Then some other team (Pittsburgh?) would jump in and steal the deal.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
patty59

Quote:
Would you do this?

To Boston:
2nd Round pick
Glencross
Bouwmeester
Kiprasoff

To Flames:
Rask
Caron
Bartkowski
3rd round pick
I don't think CGY has a 2nd this year.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:41 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Would you do this?

To Boston:
2nd Round pick
Glencross
Bouwmeester
Kiprasoff

To Flames:
Rask
Caron
Bartkowski
3rd round pick
Who plays goal for Boston in the postseason? Kiprusoff is old, terrible, and just running out the string until he can retire and go home to Finland. He hasn't had a good postseason in 7 years. The last 3 times he has been in the postseason has been horrible.

Why would you make a go for it now trade, and leave yourself with completely unproven Wildcard in Khudobin, and a train wreck in Kiprusoff as your goaltenders

If you are giving up Rask, may as well move on and get young players, and plan to rebuild around Seguin, and Subban

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:40 AM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

While I think Rask will re sign, I don't understand why we'd trade him. Just look at the other goalies who haven't came up big in the playoffs. They're still on their respective teams. But if it does happen, I guess it's Save by Svedberg time next year.

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:08 AM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

If he does re sign I see him getting signed for 6 years ala Carey Price. Am I asking too much? Maybe 4 years sounds better.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:15 AM
GodTukka*

Then we'd be screwed

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
bigcat188

It could be anybody...the Bruins have been making all opposing goal tenders look like vezina trophy winners.

bigcat188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:32 AM
WithOutPaperss

I haven't seen much of Svedberg play, but looking at his AHL stats, do we have a possible gem here? For those that do watch Providence how does he look? Is he stealing games, bailed out by team, or a combination?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Who plays goal for Boston in the postseason? Kiprusoff is old, terrible, and just running out the string until he can retire and go home to Finland. He hasn't had a good postseason in 7 years. The last 3 times he has been in the postseason has been horrible.

Why would you make a go for it now trade, and leave yourself with completely unproven Wildcard in Khudobin, and a train wreck in Kiprusoff as your goaltenders

If you are giving up Rask, may as well move on and get young players, and plan to rebuild around Seguin, and Subban
Not that I condone the move, but if Leafs can be in a playoff spot with Scrivens/Reimer, you don't think we could still compete with Khudobin/whoever?

I don't think trading Rask would mean we should start rebuilding.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:15 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 520
Quote:
Would you do this?

To Boston:
2nd Round pick
Glencross
Bouwmeester
Kiprasoff

To Flames:
Rask
Caron
Bartkowski
3rd round pick
In a heartbeat...but I don't think the Flames would.

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:19 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
What would we do in terms of goaltending? Have Dobby start or call up Svedberg?
Have Dobby start and call up Svedberg for back-up...if this doesn't work out, bring in Subban when he's ready.

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
missingchicklet

Rask isn't going anywhere. If the defense was playing anywhere close to as good as it was in front of Timmy he'd have even better stats than he does now. Subban still has a way to go before he is NHL ready. I wouldn't sign Rask to a really long contract, but I would lock him up for medium-term contract in a heartbeat if he keeps putting up good stats. Also, he is at the age where I think he is going to show even more improvement and be better than ever over the next several years.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

If Rask is let go it'll be a big mistake. Dobby isn't ready to be our starting goalie

Old
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
NastyNate17

Thomas has one historical season and leads us to a cup and all of a sudden this becomes the new standard of goaltending to be expected in Boston, and even for much of the year people said his play wasn't good enough. If our offense could consistently pump in 3-4 goals this wouldn't even be a topic for conversation right now

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

I would look what I could get for Rask. If I can get a young topD or topF cost controlled for Rask, then sign Khudobin for a 8M/3y deal, then I would really look into in. With our Cap situation, Svedberg and Subban in the wing, that may be a good idea to cash in with Rask.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Neely08

Then we're in deep ****.

What are we going to do? Trade for Miller? Bring up Subban??

I'm not saying back up the truck for him. But they have to sign him.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:35 AM
thornton22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate17 View Post
Thomas has one historical season and leads us to a cup and all of a sudden this becomes the new standard of goaltending to be expected in Boston, and even for much of the year people said his play wasn't good enough. If our offense could consistently pump in 3-4 goals this wouldn't even be a topic for conversation right now
Exactly. But it's always the goalie's fault...

thornton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
I would look what I could get for Rask. If I can get a young topD or topF cost controlled for Rask, then sign Khudobin for a 8M/3y deal, then I would really look into in. With our Cap situation, Svedberg and Subban in the wing, that may be a good idea to cash in with Rask.

While you would have to be careful before trading Rask there is always some value in checking what's possible before giving him another contract. And the Bruins would have to feel confident with a Khudobin-Svedberg tandem.

One young player who meets your criteria is 23 year old defenseman John Carlson from Washington. He would be a great addition to the Bruins defense and he has a $4 million contract for the next 5 years.

Carlson's profile (Slam sports):

Assets: Can be effective in a shutdown role, due to his mobility and instincts. Has the potential to be an explosive offensive player from the back end, and also possesses great size (6'3" and 212 pounds) and aggressiveness. Shoots the puck very well.

Flaws: In order to maximize his vast potential for the National Hockey League game, he must continue rounding out his play with the puck and improve his offensive decision-making. Also needs more overall consistency.

Career Potential: Talented all-around defenseman with upside.

Rask might be very attractive to Washington. A possible trade: Rask and Boychuk for Carlson and a pick/prospect.

Moving Boychuk and Ference off the roster removes $5.6 million in cap. Replacing them with Carlson and Bartkowski costs $4.6 million. Look's good to me and I love this defense.

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 04-01-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
While you would have to be careful before trading Rask there is always some value in checking what's possible before giving him another contract. And the Bruins would have to feel confident with a Khudobin-Svedberg tandem.

One young player who meets your criteria is 23 year old defenseman John Carlson from Washington. He would be a great addition to the Bruins defense and he has a $4 million contract for the next 5 years.

Carlson's profile (Slam sports):

Assets: Can be effective in a shutdown role, due to his mobility and instincts. Has the potential to be an explosive offensive player from the back end, and also possesses great size (6'3" and 212 pounds) and aggressiveness. Shoots the puck very well.

Flaws: In order to maximize his vast potential for the National Hockey League game, he must continue rounding out his play with the puck and improve his offensive decision-making. Also needs more overall consistency.

Career Potential: Talented all-around defenseman with upside.

Rask might be very attractive to Washington. A possible trade: Rask and Boychuk for Carlson and a pick/prospect.

Moving Boychuk and Ference off the roster removes $5.6 million in cap. Replacing them with Carlson and Bartkowski costs $4.6 million. Look's good to me and I love this defense.

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Dude if we even had a prayer of getting Carlson I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially considering our keeper situation is pretty deep. Kid's a stud. And it would make my decision for which USA Hockey jersey to buy that much easier.

I don't know if that's all that realistic though..getting Carlson I mean. Caps fans revere him and hold him in high regard.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Dude if we even had a prayer of getting Carlson I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially considering our keeper situation is pretty deep. Kid's a stud. And it would make my decision for which USA Hockey jersey to buy that much easier.

I don't know if that's all that realistic though..getting Carlson I mean. Caps fans revere him and hold him in high regard.

I'm 72 years old and don't get called "Dude" all that much.

Karlson was rumored to be on the market earlier this season. I don't know if it was BS but my focus on him was based on:

(1) he is just what the Bruins need to be good for years on defense, with Hamilton and Carlson replacing Chara and Seidenberg when their time is up, and

(2) Rask could be very attractive to Washington as their long term goalie. Boychuk would help the Caps fill the Carlson hole on defense.

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 04-01-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I'm 72 years old and don't get called "Dude" all that much.

Karlson was rumored to be on the market earlier this season. I don't know if it was BS but my focus on him was based on:

(1) he is just what the Bruins need to be good for years on defense, with Hamilton and him replacing Chara and Seidenberg when their time is up, and

(2) Rask could be very attractive to Washington as their long term goalie. Boychuk would help the Caps fill the Carlson hole on defense.
haha my apologies. It's just when I saw then I became instantly interested. I don't see Carlson going anywhere for anything short of an overpayment, and a hefty one at that. He's having a solid season and though I think Rask would be an interesting piece, I don't see it happening.

Fitting into our team would be excellent, Our top four would be the best in the league, bar none. I just don't see it happening though if it were possible, I'd be all ears. I'm a huge fan of him.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton22 View Post
Exactly. But it's always the goalie's fault...
The Bruins got a shutout from Dobby so now Dobby is the goalie of the future. Rask is out. That's how things work in Bruins land. The team wins only when the goalie pitches a shutout or another incredible .95+ SV% performance because the skaters can't score to save their life, so obviously when a goalie only plays good or god forbid average for an NHL goaltender it's his fault the team lost the game. Once Dobby plays a normal non-Vezina/Conn Smythe game the team loses and we're talking about taking looks on Svedberg and Subban because our goaltending isn't up to where it needs to be.

Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
The Bruins got a shutout from Dobby so now Dobby is the goalie of the future. Rask is out. That's how things work in Bruins land. The team wins only when the goalie pitches a shutout or another incredible .95+ SV% performance because the skaters can't score to save their life, so obviously when a goalie only plays good or god forbid average for an NHL goaltender it's his fault the team lost the game. Once Dobby plays a normal non-Vezina/Conn Smythe game the team loses and we're talking about taking looks on Svedberg and Subban because our goaltending isn't up to where it needs to be.
This thread was started prior to today's game. Dobby's looked excellent so far, but no one is realistically saying he's our starting keeper for next year, almost everyone agrees Rask's resigning is priority number one.

And even if it were the case, it's no a bad discussion to have. He's going to be asking for a lot of money in a cap-restricted season and it is an issue worthy of noting. Personally I wouldn't get rid of Rask so this point is moot for me.