HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf Deserves More Credit For Toronto's Success

Old
03-30-2013, 11:03 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
He got back to basics after starting the season trying to do everything. Now his game is as good as he ever was,if not better than it ever was. Funny how everybody tdefensemen don't really get the game until they are in their late twenties and still there is a unrest while a defenseman is trying to get there.

He will most likely get even better over the course of the next few years.
I agree, he most definitely is playing well and is playing a much improved game. I do not think it is only his age, but has a lot to do with playing for a coach that understands the position....I had high hopes for Carlyle and his affect on Dion and it seems that he has been a tremendous influence on Dion along with Dave Farrish.

We do need to find a big D man who can play with Dion or another top 3-4 D man who can help reduce the number of minutes that Dion plays.

I have been among the most critically of Dion on here, mostly because of issues that have nothing to do with on ice play.....Carlyle it seems has made a huge difference with the on ice product but even more so off the ice.....impressed!

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:07 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

I lol'd at one of the comments

"I can accept Phaneuf as a top 4 D."

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:35 AM
LeafOfBread

Yes, he does deserve more credit.

I don't even remember the last time there was a d-man like Dion who was consistently good yet everyone, including the team's own fans, crapped on him and never gave any credit to him.

He gets bashed so much and I don't know why. Hell, just ask what people on the main board think of Dion...the idiots over there think Dion is a bottom pairing d-man.

I've even seen people like ULF and Mess suggest he's a 2nd pairing guy.

He's been great for us this year and he's been doing it all with garbage partners.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:39 AM
TheOneArmedMan

Phaneuf has been good this year. Imagine how much better he would be if he had a good partner. I imagine it would be as good as shea weber/ryan sutter pairing

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
RomanianLeafs

but but but this board is saying he's nothing but a pylon and a terrible captain...they must be right no??? happy for Dion never bashed this guy since he's here..

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:45 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Well to be fair a Sports Illustrated poll rated Phaneuf the most overrated, and that was one conducted with only NHL players (and among his peers) opinions.

Link:

Dion Phaneuf voted most overrated NHLer in SI poll

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...article620658/
To be fair?? To be fair?!?!? Ill take teammates opinions over cowardly "overrated" polls done anonymously by S friggin I.

I'd say I'm disappointed that a Leaf fan would post something like that in this thread but I'm considering the source.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:49 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
To be fair?? To be fair?!?!? Ill take teammates opinions over cowardly "overrated" polls done anonymously by S friggin I.

I'd say I'm disappointed that a Leaf fan would post something like that in this thread but I'm considering the source.
not required.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
LeafOfBread

Quote:
Well to be fair a Sports Illustrated poll rated Phaneuf the most overrated, and that was one conducted with only NHL players (and among his peers) opinions.

Link:

Dion Phaneuf voted most overrated NHLer in SI poll

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...article620658/
Par for the course.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post

Says a lot about the poll when a 2-time Hart, 2-time Rocket, 3-time Pearson and 1-time Art Ross winner is second.

03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
not required.
Oh please, I see I'm not the only one.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Ace88*

I cant rightfully attribute our success this season to any one player. It's been a total team effort thus far, and i dont expect that to change. If the Leafs do end up having playoff success, it will be on the backs of every player, not just Dion or Kessel or Kadri.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Dion has been an absolute rock for us and has been carrying the team. He always get the tough side. However he's really brough his game back under Carlyle. If we get him a good partner, I think he'll get even better.

03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
ChazzMichaels

Yaaa ya ya and in the SI vote for most overrated player the year before was Beauch and Komi, before that Kubina, before that Kaberle and remember when McCabe was before that? How do people not see through these "votes" lol ... Common now .... Its amazing how much hate the leafs get lmao

ChazzMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
not required.
Leaf posters were accusing fellow Leafs of overrating Phaneuf and I simply posted that the source is actually coming from his own peers. Its impartial in that it removes bias when it comes to own fans praising or rating their own players at times.

Phaneuf has played well of late and scored some key goals, but that is what you would expect from your captain and one of your team leaders. So Phaneuf is doing what he is expected to do and for that he deserves credit for that, he like many other players is performing admirable at the moment. Goals against Florida and Carolina in must win games for the Leafs was great to see.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:06 PM
ChazzMichaels

Im sure Gardiner and Reilly will make the list too when their full time top 4 leafs ...

Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMichaels View Post
Yaaa ya ya and in the SI vote for most overrated player the year before was Beauch and Komi, before that Kubina, before that Kaberle and remember when McCabe was before that? How do people not see through these "votes" lol ... Common now .... Its amazing how much hate the leafs get lmao
I love the hate. We have more fans across the country than many teams have fans in their own region.

If people hate the Leafs when they were irrelevant on the ice and lived in the basement of the East...it would be amazing to see the hate now that they are an up and coming team.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Leaf posters were accusing fellow Leafs of overrating Phaneuf and I simply posted that the source is actually coming from his own peers. Its impartial in that it removes bias when it comes to own fans praising or rating their own players at times.

Phaneuf has played well of late and scored some key goals, but that is what you would expect from your captain and one of your team leaders. So Phaneuf is doing what he is expected to do and for that he deserves credit for that, he like many other players is performing admirable at the moment. Goals against Florida and Carolina in must win games for the Leafs was great to see.
...Beause Sports Illustrated is a very illustrious hockey news magazine that all the hockey nerds can rely upon? I don't buy nor do I care about it. Don't even see what the hell was that about. You wanna talk about over-rated players? Talk about a scott gomez, talk about a wade redden, you don't have to listen to 20 players out of what? 300 players in the NHL to know who's who.

It's not even as of late it's been visible when we also face players from a talented team or cup contenders. He's been getting it down, it also helps when others can step in and lift a little bit of that burden off his shoulders. Guys like Kessel, Kadri, Lupul, and Franson some that are helping him out. As well being in a defensive system where everyone knows their roles. However I'm surprised you are praising him Mess, as he's a -4.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 03-30-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:16 PM
dballislife2

pretty generic things to say, like wut r they suppose to say

dballislife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Kadri43

It really is annoying to see the amount of ignorant Leafs fans and other team fans who think that Phaneuf sucks. He is the best Leafs defender by a ****ing mile. We are simply not a playoff team without him in the lineup. Anyone who believes otherwise is a ****ing idiot.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I love the hate. We have more fans across the country than many teams have fans in their own region.

If people hate the Leafs when they were irrelevant on the ice and lived in the basement of the East...it would be amazing to see the hate now that they are an up and coming team.
I think its about context of player value rather than team overall performance.

For example Dion Phaneuf is paid $6.5 mil while Zdeno Chara is paid $6 mil. Both among the highest paid in the game at their positions.

We all know how valuable Chara is the Bruins, so is Phaneuf worth as much to the Leafs & their success at more $ than Big Z is the Bruins in comparison?

So comparatively speaking one can access a players value to his team accordingly.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Ace88*

Quote:

For example Dion Phaneuf is paid $6.5 mil while Zdeno Chara is paid $6 mil. Both among the highest paid in the game at their positions.

We all know how valuable Chara is the Bruins, so is Phaneuf worth as much to the Leafs & their success at more $ than Big Z is the Bruins in comparison?

So comparatively speaking one can access a players value to his team accordingly.
Leafs didn't sign that contract so it's entirely irrelevant. Phaneuf likely resigns for somewhere around $5.25-6 million, which is exactly what he is worth. I dont even mind paying him what he gets right now, as it hasn't been a hindrance to our cap in the slightest.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:

Ya and I'd say about one NHL player out of five could understand that first sentence.

That poll was about one thing and one thing only, to try and embarrass players. Any NHLer with a shred of personal integrity would have told that pollster where to go. I'm still a little incredulous you would use that poll of all things as a counter point.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:26 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballislife2 View Post
pretty generic things to say, like wut r they suppose to say
Bingo.....Ive never ever ever heard a team mate bash his captain or any other member of his own team in the media. Ever. Its so dumb to think otherwise. Its called career suicide. You hear the generic, canned, cliche answers that have come to be expected when an opinion of a jock is called upon. Having said that Phaneuf has had a decent year this season but he hasn't been great since arriving. He has played horrible at times without a doubt. He seems more focussed and determined this year...I agree with those that think it is the Carlyle influence, being a former Norris trophy himself, he probably has helped Dion with his confidence.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:27 PM
ChazzMichaels

It's too bad Phaneuf doesnt get more praise as an individual cause he deserves it. The article that this thread centres around proves it, although I'm sure he doesnt mind and would prefer team success more.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Barilko14

Quote:

I would say they are right in the same ballpark. Phaneuf is as valuable to Leafs as any other top Dman, possibly moreso considering the lack of dependable options beneath him on the depth chart.

Phaneuf is not overpaid when you consider what guys are getting on the open market these days (Carle 5.5M, Widemen 5.25M, these are 1B dmen at best).

If what a poster says is true, and that Leaf dmen have "won" this poll several times, it's pretty obvious the poll is based more on national exposure than anything else.

Barilko14 is online now   Reply With Quote