HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I could see us maybe trading a piece at the draft for another 1st if ours is around #10. A defenseman like Zadorov and a winger would be great to come away with.

Or Maybe they trade Hartnell or Read for a young defenseman like Gormley or Rundblad if the BPA when we pick is a forward.

I honestly could see them trading Couts though, because I think they're very high on Laughton. I just hope it's not for someone like Yandle...
So you're willing to trade Hartnell for Rundblad, but not Couturier for Yandle?

I'd rather trade the pick (assuming it ends up around 8-9) then trade player, to be honest.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I could see us maybe trading a piece at the draft for another 1st if ours is around #10. A defenseman like Zadorov and a winger would be great to come away with.

Or Maybe they trade Hartnell or Read for a young defenseman like Gormley or Rundblad if the BPA when we pick is a forward.

I honestly could see them trading Couts though, because I think they're very high on Laughton. I just hope it's not for someone like Yandle...
I've been saying this for a while now about Cooter being dealt. I don't have any qualms about going after Yandle, even at the expense of Couturier. There are guys I'd rather have, but I am not sure they are or available or could be had for the same price. Couturier, Schenn, and Laughton (and to a lesser extent Cousins) are all trade bait at this point, I think. I could say any one of them being dealt at the draft for a defender.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Krishna

Quote:

What.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

What are the chances Barkov drops, if any? Because of the shoulder injury he sustained, could it possibly be like Couts on draft day?

Old
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Krishna

I doubt he drops out of the top 5

Old
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

There is always certain players that slip no matter what. Hopefully the Flyers, like two years ago, are in that spot again to reap the benefits. Maybe Nurse/Barkov(shoulder injury)/Nichushkin(Russian) fall to us.

I just find it hard to believe we would go Nichushkin if he even falls that far. We haven't taken a Russian in the first round in like 20 years? I think I saw that.

One thing I will say is a positive though, is we have been reportedly interested in that Russian defender. We have scouts over there watching these kids at least. I believe our scout over in Russia would be Evengy Zimin. Hopefully he gives Homer no choice to take this kid if he falls to us at 7-10.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What.
We won't be able to resign read, with the lack of depth on defense. How is it that far fetched an idea that he's traded for a young defenseman?

The reason I hope they don't go after a guy like Yandle at the expense of Couts is because, while Yandle is only 26 and not that old, Couts is only 20. We'd be getting older when this team is still a few years off from competing. If we have a high pick this year, it'll be a few years before that guy is able to contribute most likely. I don't like the idea of trading Couts for someone 6 years older than he is. I'd rather go after a guy like Ryan Murray, though I doubt Columbus has any interest in moving him.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is always certain players that slip no matter what. Hopefully the Flyers, like two years ago, are in that spot again to reap the benefits. Maybe Nurse/Barkov(shoulder injury)/Nichushkin(Russian) fall to us.

I just find it hard to believe we would go Nichushkin if he even falls that far. We haven't taken a Russian in the first round in like 20 years? I think I saw that.

One thing I will say is a positive though, is we have been reportedly interested in that Russian defender. We have scouts over there watching these kids at least. I believe our scout over in Russia would be Evengy Zimin. Hopefully he gives Homer no choice to take this kid if he falls to us at 7-10.
We did sign Bob, but that wasn't the same as using a 1st round pick. They don't have anything against Russian players, they just don't want to get stuck with someone who doesn't want to come over. I don't know what scouting can do to alleviate that worry in the GM's mind.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Krishna

I was mostly whating at the hartnell part

Old
04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

I'd be happy with any of those 3, considering a top 5 pick is looking out of the mix now. I don't mind waiting for Nichushkin, because it seems like his game will translate well into the NHL. I'd probably rather have Barkov or Nurse.

April 29th can't come soon enough!

Old
04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I Am Number 28

I'm still not convinced we are out of the Shea Weber sweepstakes. I think he can be had, but at the cost of only Couturier instead of him and Schenn.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Nashville are going to pay him $27 million for one 48-game season, then trade him?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Nashville are going to pay him $27 million for one 48-game season, then trade him?
exactly. I think there is another bonus lump sum in 14 as well of 13 million.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
How about the flyers give them money under the table?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Number 28 View Post
I'm still not convinced we are out of the Shea Weber sweepstakes. I think he can be had, but at the cost of only Couturier instead of him and Schenn.
If you can get weber for a deal around couturier you do it. Though I doubt Nashville does. They put a lot of money into keeping him, I don't see anyway they decide to move him, especially to the team that put them in that position in the first place.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

The only feasible reason I can see Nashville trading Weber(I have stated this before) is if he demands a trade. Now he can't control where he goes, but can control where he is at the present. He has stated many times he wants that team to show him they are serious about contending. Spending to the cap, making aggressive moves, bringing in vets instead of younger players, etc... They really haven't proven they are doing that. They just traded Erat(although he wanted out, because he knows that team isn't close to competing for a cup) for another prospect. If Weber does demand a trade, they don't have to respect the demand though, but that could create much more problems. Weber just wants to compete every year for a cup and have a team that has no problem throwing money around to do that. Nashville hasn't done that. Maybe he gives them another year and off season, but I believe he could ask for that trade. How magnificent would it be if we acquired him at the 2014 draft in front of our home town???

Trust me, I know about the money also. That right now(and rightfully so) is the only serious reason right now to keep him down there. They are not a good hockey team.

Que people telling me they won't move him, move on, etc..... I understand, just worth keeping an eye on.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Yup I'm not holding my breath on Shea Weber being a Flyer. His price was crazy last year when Nashville was backed into a corner a bit, I just can't imagine it now after paying all that money.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:39 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Number 28 View Post
If you can get weber for a deal around couturier you do it. Though I doubt Nashville does. They put a lot of money into keeping him, I don't see anyway they decide to move him, especially to the team that put them in that position in the first place.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
ahthorne

I bet we stay where we are and draft somewhere from 9th to 11th. Let's look at the defenders or high profile forwards who've gone at 9th+ over the past few years...

2012: 9th - Trouba, 10th - Koekkoek, 11th - Forsberg, 12th - Grigorenko
2011: 9th - Hamilton, 10th - Brodin, 11th - Siemens, 12th - Murphy
2010: 9th - Granlund, 10th - McIlrath, 12th - Fowler, 13th - Gormley
2009: 9th - Cowen, 11th - Ellis, 12th - de Haan, 14th - Kulikov, 16th - Leddy, 17th - Rundblad

This is not a bad place to draft, especially for defenders. I'd love Nurse but Zadorov, Ristolainen (who looks NHL ready), among others like Josh Morrisey are all very, very good defenders.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Is it just me, or am I the only one who doesn't want any part of Shea Weber? I'd rather the Flyers take their lumps and draft and start grooming a defenseman instead of gutting the team to acquire a guy that might not even put them over the hump. There's a lot of holes in this lineup and to acquire a guy like Weber is going to open even more holes. It's time to bite the bullet and do the rebuild properly. As a long tenured fan, I'm tired of seeing this franchise always go for the quick fix rather than do the right thing which might mean some short term pain.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Is it just me, or am I the only one who doesn't want any part of Shea Weber? I'd rather the Flyers take their lumps and draft and start grooming a defenseman instead of gutting the team to acquire a guy that might not even put them over the hump. There's a lot of holes in this lineup and to acquire a guy like Weber is going to open even more holes. It's time to bite the bullet and do the rebuild properly. As a long tenured fan, I'm tired of seeing this franchise always go for the quick fix rather than do the right thing which might mean some short term pain.
I would think few people would genuinely "not want" Weber on their team--but many more would not want him at the price it would take to acquire him.

I don't think this team is as far away from competing as others. I don't think it needs to be blown up by any stretch.

I'm glad they decided to have their craptastic year in a shortened season with a strong draft class-though as much as I enjoyed the last two wins, I think I would have enjoyed a decade + of Mackinnon, Jones, etc. more.

Realistically, we need a young top-4 PMD with #2 potential and a dose of patience. If we finish around 8-10, I think the Flyers should seriously consider shopping their pick to meet that need.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I'm with you

They wanted Couturier + Schenn ++ when Weber wasn't signed

Can't imagine what they want now

Old
04-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Agreed except the part about a lot of holes in the Flyers lineup.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
It's not just you.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Roman Reigns

Quote:
Right there with ya

Closed Thread