Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay Bouwmeester

Old
03-30-2013, 11:44 AM
JesusBouillon

vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester

Hello Flames fans. With Kaberle being waived there's a lot of rumors going around that the Habs are in the market for a D. Obviously JayBo is one of the top target on the market. I'm wondering about how he's played for you guys this season? Is he worth taking on that contract for a team willing to make a push for the Cup? Do you think he commands a high price trading wise or are the Flames looking to free themselves for the cap space going into next year?

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:49 AM
tyflames

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Hello Flames fans. With Kaberle being waived there's a lot of rumors going around that the Habs are in the market for a D. Obviously JayBo is one of the top target on the market. I'm wondering about how he's played for you guys this season? Is he worth taking on that contract for a team willing to make a push for the Cup? Do you think he commands a high price trading wise or are the Flames looking to free themselves for the cap space going into next year?
His price tag is high but he's been playing up to it this year. Arguably our best defender this year, and still young. It would take a lot to get him

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's been great this year. He has the odd off-game, but aside from that, he's showing his old form. Responsible defensively, but not afraid to get involved up front.

As for his contract, you'd have to answer that for us. Is it worth taking his contract on the Habs? Is Bouwmeester a guy the Habs would need? (He'd look AMAZING with Subban, IMO)

His return would likely be higher than Iggy. He's a top pairing defenseman, who's arguably overpaid, but not by much. If he hit FA, he'd get the same. The offer would start with a 1st rounder this year.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
He's going to cost. A lot.
This year's been a true example of the player he can be. Great skating, great puck moving, great use of the stick and has been as always solid defensively.

His +/- doesnt tell the story. He lugs 25+ minutes on a very bad team that lets up the second most goals a game in the league. On a good team, he could be the difference between a first round exit and a trip to the cup in my opinion. Without him, Calgary would probably have the worst GAA in the game (now they're second worst, it'd be worst by a long shot).

Most likely asking price would be:
First round pick, Blue chip prospect + some add ons/salary dump.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
He's been great this year. He has the odd off-game, but aside from that, he's showing his old form. Responsible defensively, but not afraid to get involved up front.

As for his contract, you'd have to answer that for us. Is it worth taking his contract on the Habs? Is Bouwmeester a guy the Habs would need? (He'd look AMAZING with Subban, IMO)

His return would likely be higher than Iggy. He's a top pairing defenseman, who's arguably overpaid, but not by much. If he hit FA, he'd get the same. The offer would start with a 1st rounder this year.
Well I haven't seen him play much this year. If he's that good he'd be worth it for another year, we'd just need Bergevin to get a bit creative with the cap space.

I was just wondering because I had the impression he had been a bit of a disappointment in Calgary so far, but if he's turned things around all the better.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:58 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 142
Quote:
Bob Mackenzie has said he'd get a return better than Iginla and I would agree based on what the market for a defense man looks to be and that he's showing the skill level this year that made him so good in Florida.

My guess is that people that don't watch him will continue to say that he's soft (not true), or that he's weak defensively (not true), or better yet that teams would be doing Calgary a favor by taking his contract (not true at all).

I would be very happy if he is a Flames for the next 2 seasons (possibly longer) as we don't have any young defense man outside of Brodie that should see top 4 minutes in those years. If he wants to compete for the cup this year I'd expect at the minimum 1st (2013 uncond) + A Prospect (at least the level of kho if not better) + young roster player/ B prospect (young roster player or a prospect around the level of Agostino)

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Nordberg

Only way you could get a D-man of his caliber in his prime years at a lower caphit is if you draft and keep him yourself and even then I doubt it. Question is if you guys think you can spare the assets to get him. He'd be traded for the right price, but there's certainly no rush to get rid of him.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
He's going to cost. A lot.
This year's been a true example of the player he can be. Great skating, great puck moving, great use of the stick and has been as always solid defensively.

His +/- doesnt tell the story. He lugs 25+ minutes on a very bad team that lets up the second most goals a game in the league. On a good team, he could be the difference between a first round exit and a trip to the cup in my opinion. Without him, Calgary would probably have the worst GAA in the game (now they're second worst, it'd be worst by a long shot).

Most likely asking price would be:
First round pick, Blue chip prospect + some add ons/salary dump.
How about our first round pick plus your second round pick back? I just don't see MB trading away Tinordi/Beaulieu after the whole McDonagh thing. Maybe we can add in a lesser prospect like Kristo or Ellis.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
How about our first round pick plus your second round pick back? I just don't see MB trading away Tinordi/Beaulieu after the whole McDonagh thing. Maybe we can add in a lesser prospect like Kristo or Ellis.
I think it'll take a blue chipper. While the first + return of our second is a great way to get it going, I truly believe it will take a reason to trade him.

Like some of the other people have said, Calgary's not in a desperate mode to trade him. He's Calgary's best D-Man. For him to move, it will take a very sweet pot.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
How about no. As stated, there's no reason for us to trade him for scraps. Throw in Beaulieu with those two picks and we're talking.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Montreal's 2013 1st, Calgary's 2013 2nd, and Ellis would likely get it done, for me anyways (I'd hardly label Ellis as a 'Lesser Prospect').

Edit: Seems a few other posters disagree. Maybe replace Ellis with Thrower? I think his previous 3 seasons will really make GM's question his value. I'm not expecting an arm and a leg for him.

Last edited by Skobel24: 03-30-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
tyflames

We have no need to trade him this year unless we get a very good return so unless you're willing to part with a lot he can stay

Old
03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Quote:
I actually like the package of Montreal's 2013 1st, Calgary's 2013 2nd, and Danny Kristo. Danny has steadily improved his offensive numbers, and built up his small frame during his time at N.Dakota. (Although still not huge at 5'11 - 189lbs.) I'm sure Weisbrod would love this kinda guy.

Saying that, I would easily reject the offer if another team was offering a legit prospect/package...

If Philly came knocking with Couts... game over.

If Detroit offered their 1st + Nyquist.... same thing.

So basically, I like the offer from the Habs. Not bad at all! I just think we could probably get a better deal.

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post

That'd be a day to go skipping to the bank.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
I actually like the package of Montreal's 2013 1st, Calgary's 2013 2nd, and Danny Kristo. Danny has steadily improved his offensive numbers, and built up his small frame during his time at N.Dakota. (Although still not huge at 5'11 - 189lbs.) I'm sure Weisbrod would love this kinda guy.

Saying that, I would easily reject the offer if another team was offering a legit prospect/package...

So basically, I like the offer from the Habs. Not bad at all! I just think we could probably get a better deal.
I'd definitely hear Philly and Detroit out, but I can say it would need to be Couturier +. I wouldn't expect a huge plus, but I wouldn't do a one for one swap.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
I'd definitely hear Philly and Detroit out, but I can say it would need to be Couturier +. I wouldn't expect a huge plus, but I wouldn't do a one for one swap.
It's so funny how one season changes everything. Remember last season when Philly fans were all putting down Bouwmeester, saying Couts was untouchable, saying if Calgary wanted him it would take Bouw ++++ to even start the talk.

Now it's like, Philly can't defend worth a damn, Couts it looking more and more available. Heh.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:25 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
We have no need to trade him this year unless we get a very good return so unless you're willing to part with a lot he can stay
Until the trade dealing, when his NMC prevents us from properly marketing him and we get...what?

J-Bo's cap hit next year means (unless Calgary picks up half of it-they should) the teams that can realistically afford (cap wise) to fit him in next year is severely limited to the non-elite teams.

Calgary may want to avoid a recurring Iggy situation next year. His value is greatest at this trade deadline, assuming the Flames pick up a portion of his cap hit.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Until the trade dealing, when his NMC prevents us from properly marketing him and we get...what?

J-Bo's cap hit next year means (unless Calgary picks up half of it-they should) the teams that can realistically afford (cap wise) to fit him in next year is severely limited to the non-elite teams.

Calgary may want to avoid a recurring Iggy situation next year. His value is greatest at this trade deadline, assuming the Flames pick up a portion of his cap hit.
Please explain to me why he can't be traded in the offseason or at any time next season. There's no reason to trade him now unless overpayment. I never said anything about keeping him until next years trade deadline. He's our best D man and we don't exactly have someone to replace the minutes he eats.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:01 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Quote:
Montreal's 2013 1st, Calgary's 2013 2nd, and Ellis would likely get it done, for me anyways (I'd hardly label Ellis as a 'Lesser Prospect').

Edit: Seems a few other posters disagree. Maybe replace Ellis with Thrower? I think his previous 3 seasons will really make GM's question his value. I'm not expecting an arm and a leg for him.
If that was the best offer, I don't think id be upset with it..getting our 2nd back would be nice.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
It's so funny how one season changes everything. Remember last season when Philly fans were all putting down Bouwmeester, saying Couts was untouchable, saying if Calgary wanted him it would take Bouw ++++ to even start the talk.

Now it's like, Philly can't defend worth a damn, Couts it looking more and more available. Heh.
With Schenn and Voracek stepping up, I can see Couts being available.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
How about no. As stated, there's no reason for us to trade him for scraps. Throw in Beaulieu with those two picks and we're talking.
That's definitely not scraps. A first round pick and a arguably high (no disrespect) second rounder + Kristo/Ellis is a solid package, and a better deal by a fair margin than what you got for Iginla IMO.

I just don't see us trading our best and second best prospect, but our third best?

Old
03-30-2013, 02:57 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:

I'm sure Bergevin would be even quicker to say yes if we could replace Ellis by Thrower, but I don't think you'd want to do that TBH. Thrower has been iffy this season and was outshined by Dietz by a fair margin.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:10 PM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Quote:
That's definitely not scraps. A first round pick and a arguably high (no disrespect) second rounder + Kristo/Ellis is a solid package, and a better deal by a fair margin than what you got for Iginla IMO.

I just don't see us trading our best and second best prospect, but our third best?

It's a very solid offer.

1st , CGY 2nd, Kristo is very good... Refreshing when you see other fans saying "duh, 2nd and a cap dump."

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
It's a very solid offer.

1st , CGY 2nd, Kristo is very good... Refreshing when you see other fans saying "duh, 2nd and a cap dump."
Nothing was better than the Oiler fan who proposed Whitney for Bouwmeester a few weeks ago.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Craiggy

He's been playing well for us this season. I'd say his best season with us. It'll be interesting to see what we get for him if he gets traded before Apr 3rd.

Craiggy is offline   Reply With Quote