HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIII - Post deadline

View Poll Results: Who is most likely gone by the deadline?
MacArthur 47 39.50%
Gardiner 4 3.36%
Bozak 16 13.45%
Grabovski 18 15.13%
Kessel 5 4.20%
Kulemin 2 1.68%
Gunnarsson 7 5.88%
Liles 20 16.81%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  #801
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
People just need to have faith in Nonis.

If he doesn't make a move it isn't the end of the world since that would indicate the market was just a bit too pricey for his liking.

If he does make a move, it'll be for someone with term that can help this team today and maybe for another season or so, and it wont cost the Leafs the farm.

If he makes a move consisting of roster players, it will be a hockey trade that see's other capable players coming in that will fit this roster for the long haul.

I for one am absolutely not concerned if the Leafs do not make any moves since we do have quite a few prospects potentially being NHL ready over the next few seasons.

That revolving door of a deep prospects has started, and I cannot see Nonis disrupting such a luxury for a rental player for just a few more months.

If he does, I'll be floored.
By the revolving door luxury, I assume you are talking about the ability to safely promote guys from the Marlies and have them transition relatively seamlessly into the lineup to avoid overpaying in times of injury? And additionally, as an asset development thing if these guys cause us to truly make room for them or to trade them we simply profit overall?

IMO - this is why teams draft "safe" guys more often than boom/bust, because even a 3/4 liner from a 3/4/5/6/7th pick is value.

We've seen it this season between Fraser, Kostka, Holzer etc. Holzer, McWilliam, Percy next on deck on the backend.

Colborne, D'amigo, Ashton, Hamilton are the guys up front right now.

KlattNazty is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
  #802
Hero
Buffy is Back
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,802
vCash: 500
If C-Mac signs for 2.5 mill, obviously he'd be more than welcome. But I think he'll want more.

Hero is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  #803
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If C-Mac signs for 2.5 mill, obviously he'd be more than welcome. But I think he'll want more.
He's currently making $3.25. He won't be looking for a paycut.

__________________
bWo -- Minister of Foreign Affairs
SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  #804
cps230
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richmond hill
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If C-Mac signs for 2.5 mill, obviously he'd be more than welcome. But I think he'll want more.
IMO, he's done nothing to warrant a raise from his current contract, 2.75-3 range id be ok with

cps230 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
  #805
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
The one thing I can't figure out in all this-and this isn't a criticism or anything like that.

If Nonis wants a veteran backup to help Reimer I'm okay with that, but with people like Clemmensen out there who could probably be had for not a huge amount, why was Nonis insistent on talking to a goalie who-according to speculation/rumor/whatever-that he wasn't really interested in playing after this season, and has a 5.8 cap hit next year. Yes he could be amenstied I agree, and understand that.

But Nonis knowing Toronto media, and knowing what type of fuss this would (and has) caused-why subject your team to that when a vet backup with playoff experience could be had for a lot cheaper and a lot less noise? That's the one thing I can't logic out here.

If Toronto acquired that type of backup, there would probably be a figurative "so what/okay, nice depth move/insurance move" that wouldn't nearly have had the media frenzy.

Tinalera is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  #806
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
The one thing I can't figure out in all this-and this isn't a criticism or anything like that.

If Nonis wants a veteran backup to help Reimer I'm okay with that, but with people like Clemmensen out there who could probably be had for not a huge amount, why was Nonis insistent on talking to a goalie who-according to speculation/rumor/whatever-that he wasn't really interested in playing after this season, and has a 5.8 cap hit next year. Yes he could be amenstied I agree, and understand that.

But Nonis knowing Toronto media, and knowing what type of fuss this would (and has) caused-why subject your team to that when a vet backup with playoff experience could be had for a lot cheaper and a lot less noise? That's the one thing I can't logic out here.
Because Kipper is a far superior goalie to Clemmenson.

Kipper would not only be brought in to mentor Reimer, he'd also be insurance In the playoffs if Reimer gets hurt or falters.

jmart21 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
  #807
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,644
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Because Kipper is a far superior goalie to Clemmenson.

Kipper would not only be brought in to mentor Reimer, he'd also be insurance In the playoffs if Reimer gets hurt or falters.
This^^ The rumor out there is that the deal for Kipper would be a conditional 3rd, which would turn into a 2nd (If we make the playoffs, or we win a round.. i'm not sure which one, I have seen both)

That is a great price for a goalie of Kipper's calibere

Cor is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
  #808
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Because Kipper is a far superior goalie to Clemmenson.

Kipper would not only be brought in to mentor Reimer, he'd also be insurance In the playoffs if Reimer gets hurt or falters.
That part I understand, no question.

I guess my thought was all indications (again pure speculation) is that Kipper is mentally packing it in, wants to settle with his family, and possibly was willing to "not play" in final year that has a cap hit of 5 plus million. In other words, the situation strikes me as someone who just is ready to finish it all off. Just wondering why Nonis pursues someone with that viewpoint. NOW, having said that, that could very well be why Nonis wanted to talk to him personally, and find out exactly what Kippers plans are.

Guess just going by what Flames fans say, Kipper doesn't exactly sound like he wants to be in any "mentoring" type of idea-that he would want the starts himself, and really isn't interested in bench sitting, particularly being away from his family.

Just wonder why Nonis goes after someone that POSSIBLY has that type of baggage, if indeed that's the case.

Tinalera is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
  #809
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
This^^ The rumor out there is that the deal for Kipper would be a conditional 3rd, which would turn into a 2nd (If we make the playoffs, or we win a round.. i'm not sure which one, I have seen both)

That is a great price for a goalie of Kipper's calibere
And I agree caliber wise-no question there.

I just wonder if Kipper, as I replied in the other thread, even has the motivation/desire to do that.

I guess just overall while I can understand the TALENT aspect of it, it just struck me as Nonis going after someone who effectively telling everyone (including Calgary) "go away"

That's just how I read the situation is all-not about the talent, talent is there-it's the motivation.

Tinalera is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  #810
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
And I agree caliber wise-no question there.

I just wonder if Kipper, as I replied in the other thread, even has the motivation/desire to do that.

I guess just overall while I can understand the TALENT aspect of it, it just struck me as Nonis going after someone who effectively telling everyone (including Calgary) "go away"

That's just how I read the situation is all-not about the talent, talent is there-it's the motivation.
we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes Kipper's had a poor year this year(although he's fought with injuries and it's not like Calgary is a top team this year either) he's still very capable of great play and has that experience.

He's older so he wont need to play 70 games anymore, reimer can still play 30-40 and we can have a tandem, Kipper is if anything, an amazing backup who can step up in the playoffs.

for a 3rd/2nd rounder I'll take him.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
  #811
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
And I agree caliber wise-no question there.

I just wonder if Kipper, as I replied in the other thread, even has the motivation/desire to do that.

I guess just overall while I can understand the TALENT aspect of it, it just struck me as Nonis going after someone who effectively telling everyone (including Calgary) "go away"

That's just how I read the situation is all-not about the talent, talent is there-it's the motivation.
Maybe there is something about Kipper's practice habits or preparation techniques that they like and feel Reimer could learn from? I feel like this potential move is more for behind-the-scenes reasons rather than caphit/on-ice reasons.

I could be way off, just throwing it out there.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  #812
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,644
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
And I agree caliber wise-no question there.

I just wonder if Kipper, as I replied in the other thread, even has the motivation/desire to do that.

I guess just overall while I can understand the TALENT aspect of it, it just struck me as Nonis going after someone who effectively telling everyone (including Calgary) "go away"

That's just how I read the situation is all-not about the talent, talent is there-it's the motivation.
I think Kipper is tired of having to carry that team. For the past 5 or 6 years, it has been him and Iginla. And when you see all the players getting traded around you (including Iginla) and things falling apart like they have (earlier in the season) and your new born having some birth problems sometimes you lose focus.

I think coming to Toronto, and not having to be relied on would let him relax, and maybe get back to having some fun. Looking to next year, he won't have to play 70+ games. He will likely only play 25-30 games with Reimer playing the rest.

Just the way I see it. If the price is right, it's a no brainer for me.

Cor is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  #813
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 500
For kipper, I would give up a 3rd, a 2nd is too much.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
  #814
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
I think Kipper is tired of having to carry that team. For the past 5 or 6 years, it has been him and Iginla. And when you see all the players getting traded around you (including Iginla) and things falling apart like they have (earlier in the season) and your new born having some birth problems sometimes you lose focus.

I think coming to Toronto, and not having to be relied on would let him relax, and maybe get back to having some fun. Looking to next year, he won't have to play 70+ games. He will likely only play 25-30 games with Reimer playing the rest.

Just the way I see it. If the price is right, it's a no brainer for me.
I'm not averse at all to getting him-its more me just trying to logic it out. And I agree that a change could do him some good in that regard.

Quote:
Maybe there is something about Kipper's practice habits or preparation techniques that they like and feel Reimer could learn from? I feel like this potential move is more for behind-the-scenes reasons rather than caphit/on-ice reasons.

I could be way off, just throwing it out there.
Again, no disagreement-my thought was just along the whole "baggage lines" sort of thing-but with you, rdawg and corr have all helped to logic it a bit more here.

Like I said, probably why Nonis wanted to talk to him directly, find out what EXACTLY Kipper was thinking, instead of relying on the "oh-so-nonsensational" media

Makes a little more sense though, thanks for the responses

Tinalera is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
  #815
LV*
Free my bro Leivo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,560
vCash: 4152
Looks like Clowe is headed to the Rangers.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Roy deal to Van may change Van's positional needs for Luongo. Toronto may circle back before moving on Kiprusoff. #tradecentre

LV* is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
  #816
nidnus13
Registered User
 
nidnus13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
I like C-MAC, the way I look at it is, I would like him to re-sign but if he dosent, then I consider him a deadline pick-up that we didnt actually hafta shell out anything for..... having Mac on the 3rd line gives us three good offencive lines, but i could be wrong?

nidnus13 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
  #817
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 500
CMac at 3mil would be nice, but I think he will be looking for a longer term deal than Nonis is willing to give.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
  #818
Jacob8hockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS59s
Mikka Kiprusoff is open to a trade to Toronto. Still wants adjustment on his contract for next season. #transactions2013

Jacob8hockey* is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
  #819
SpeakerForTheDead
Registered User
 
SpeakerForTheDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brampton/Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidnus13 View Post
I like C-MAC, the way I look at it is, I would like him to re-sign but if he dosent, then I consider him a deadline pick-up that we didnt actually hafta shell out anything for..... having Mac on the 3rd line gives us three good offencive lines, but i could be wrong?
I see that as well with him Bozak and MacArthur. I think Nonis even said something similar about a week or so ago. Said he sees no reason to trade the pending UFAs for draft picks because these are the types of player's playoff teams add at the deadline and well, we already have them.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
  #820
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob8hockey View Post
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS59s
Mikka Kiprusoff is open to a trade to Toronto. Still wants adjustment on his contract for next season. #transactions2013
Over in the trade main thread it was suggested that "adjustment" is french translation for "extention"-I only put that out there before the litany of "is that legal stuff starts up lol.

I had said in the thread alot of IF's-as in IF he really is okay with being a backup and IF he's willing to take a much lower salary (2-3 mil) cap hit for 2 more years, and IF he's really willing to Mentor-it might not be a bad thing....

Alot of IFs though.

It works out if going by earlier concerns about baggage are unfounded-I know he's talented, just don't know how motivated he's going to be.

Tinalera is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  #821
nidnus13
Registered User
 
nidnus13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
I like Kipps alot but its kind of a bummer that thats our big rumor this year (and we dont REALLY need him)............boring...........although I would be happy if thats all we do but I love thinking of who COULD be part of the team....(which never happens)

nidnus13 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
  #822
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 50
I can't believe Nonis is ****ing obsessed with kipper when we desperately need a #2 RH minute eater to play with Phaneuf. That should be our #1 priority, #2 should be a PF winger or centre.

Whatever.

Sonny21 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  #823
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,644
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I can't believe Nonis is ****ing obsessed with kipper when we desperately need a #2 RH minute eater to play with Phaneuf. That should be our #1 priority, #2 should be a PF winger or centre.

Whatever.
Maybe those 1st two aren't available? Or maybe he's waiting for a team to get back to us about a D-man?

Maybe the Kipper deal is bigger then we think and we are getting Gio too?

Cor is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  #824
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Maybe those 1st two aren't available? Or maybe he's waiting for a team to get back to us about a D-man?

Maybe the Kipper deal is bigger then we think and we are getting Gio too?
I think we are getting robidas, we have been scouting Dallas for a while now

mikebel111* is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
  #825
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Maybe those 1st two aren't available? Or maybe he's waiting for a team to get back to us about a D-man?

Maybe the Kipper deal is bigger then we think and we are getting Gio too?
I guess we'll see. I mean I wouldn't mind kipper if the price was 4th round pick. However now with the talk that kipper wants promise of extension and etc, that's just crazy.

Why would you want to beg a goalie to come when his head is not in it or is asking for extension demand before he even attempts to play a game for you?

Sonny21 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.