HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIII - Post deadline

View Poll Results: Who is most likely gone by the deadline?
MacArthur 47 39.50%
Gardiner 4 3.36%
Bozak 16 13.45%
Grabovski 18 15.13%
Kessel 5 4.20%
Kulemin 2 1.68%
Gunnarsson 7 5.88%
Liles 20 16.81%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
gabeliscious

vCash: 500
if gardiner for couturier was a possible i think nonis should look heavily into that.

whatever gardiner brings to the table can be replaced by liles and hopefully reilly. in contrast we really lack center depth in the organization. all of our centers are bordering on being expensive for what they bring to the table. couturier has upside and is on a entry level deal. even if he never becomes more then a 3rd line center i think it would still be valuable to have an elite defensive 3rd line center who is under 20 years old.

the addition of couturier would also allow nonis to look into trading grabovski. despite being in carlyles dog house i still believe he has some value. his contract seems bad but in contrast to other comparable centers its about right.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-kulemin
mac-couturier-frattin
komorov-mclemment-orr

phaneuf-gunnarson
liles-obyrne
franson-fraser

reimer
scrivens

i think if our team looks pretty good like this. by the time liles contract is close to expiring reilly should be good to go to take over his spot.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
if gardiner for couturier was a possible i think nonis should look heavily into that.

whatever gardiner brings to the table can be replaced by liles and hopefully reilly. in contrast we really lack center depth in the organization. all of our centers are bordering on being expensive for what they bring to the table. couturier has upside and is on a entry level deal. even if he never becomes more then a 3rd line center i think it would still be valuable to have an elite defensive 3rd line center who is under 20 years old.

the addition of couturier would also allow nonis to look into trading grabovski. despite being in carlyles dog house i still believe he has some value. his contract seems bad but in contrast to other comparable centers its about right.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-kulemin
mac-couturier-frattin
komorov-mclemment-orr

phaneuf-gunnarson
liles-obyrne
franson-fraser

reimer
scrivens

i think if our team looks pretty good like this. by the time liles contract is close to expiring reilly should be good to go to take over his spot.
I like the idea of having both Couturier and Colburne in the system. 2 chances at a big # 2 offensive center to play behind Kadri. Let's not forget he was 4th in scoring his draft year behind two overage guys and Huberdeau who played more games. It isn't like he doesn't have the offensive pedigree.

He definitely doesn't look as nice as Gardiner on a good day, who stands out like Kadri did (at least to me). That is a big reason why I think a lot of people have a problem with that kind of a deal. Gards is the one who looks like he could be a star.

I actually like Finn more than Gardiner for the future. Better size and a shot he uses all the time. I am not sure the team needs to be loaded up with puck movers. If Finn, Reilly, and Gardiner all panned out offensively, one of them would end up moved. We don't know if they are even considering this sort of a move, or if Philly would bite, but interesting to think about.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

I'd think I'll go crazy if I see another Gardiner thread on the trade forum section. He's had a sophmore slump, 2nd year, **** happens. He'll be better next year.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:31 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I'd think I'll go crazy if I see another Gardiner thread on the trade forum section. He's had a sophmore slump, 2nd year, **** happens. He'll be better next year.
Seriously. People need to relax. A defenceman with his skill level, who has proven he can play at this level, shouldn't be considered easily replaceable.

Last year he was being touted as the next Niedermayer, this year he's trade bait in every single deal proposed.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:18 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
Seriously. People need to relax. A defenceman with his skill level, who has proven he can play at this level, shouldn't be considered easily replaceable.

Last year he was being touted as the next Niedermayer, this year he's trade bait in every single deal proposed.

Thats called overhyping a prospect.... Gardiner has done nothing to be considered the "next Niedermayer". Niedermayer was a top 5 D in the league for 10+ years, Gardiner isnt even a top 5 D from his draft class.

We get a good young PMD, and of course the comparisons become Niedermayer, instead of something like Kaberle/JML...

Old
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
bobermay

Quote:

With Morgan Rielly coming in a couple of years, Gardiner kind of is replaceable for us...

Old
04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Deebo

Trading a player doesn't always mean you think he sucks or you are giving up on him.

A lot of the time, people know his value and want to move him a for a valuable piece an another position.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Thats called overhyping a prospect.... Gardiner has done nothing to be considered the "next Niedermayer". Niedermayer was a top 5 D in the league for 10+ years, Gardiner isnt even a top 5 D from his draft class.

We get a good young PMD, and of course the comparisons become Niedermayer, instead of something like Kaberle/JML...
With due respect to Kaberle, ive already seen Gardiner do things that I didnt see Kaberle do in his entire time here. I think his vision exceeds both Kabs and JML. Hes also got the drive to perform those risky passes/shots, which all too often Kaberle didnt.

I would deal Gardiner for the right piece coming back, in an instant. I love having him on our blue line, but take a look at our defensive pipeline. Its stacked with offensive and 2 way D. If we can deal Gardiner for a young C with size and two way presence, we have solidified our C position for years (assuming Kadri continues his development).

If in 3 years our top two lines are something like (pick whichever you want as #1 and #2)

Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin/Biggs
JvR-Couturier-Kessel

We will be a force.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:

Quote:

neidermayer could play solid defense. that amongst a few other things is what separates the two. it would be awsome if he became the reincarnation of niedermayer but lets get real here. i have a hard time seeing gardiner in the hall of fame.

gardiner is/ will be a great puck moving defenseman. he will likely put up between 40-50 points and qb the pp. i believe his defensive game will improve but i have a hard time seeing him ever playing on the pk.

gardiner = liles type of defenseman. nothing wrong with that. but i see that as a #3, not a #2 and definitely not a #1.

i dont think people are saying he is easily replaced but the truth is liles basically brings everything to the table that gardiner does + experience. liles is signed for a few more years.

people also realize you need to give something if you expect to get. philly is not going to move a player like couturier for franson or gunnarson. i also dont see gardiner getting into any games at least this season unless there is an injury. phaneuf-gunnarson are looking real good the last few weeks and franson-fraser is as steady of a 3rd pairing as we could have hoped for. liles-obyrne seem to be settling in as well.

its sad and frustrating that gardiners agent basically bullied the leafs into calling him up. at least on the marlies he would get lots of ice time, experience, and more instruction from eakins. carlyle is a stubborn guy, he also is a smart guy. he is going to play who he thinks will give the leafs the best chance at winning. it seems to be working so far. if he doesnt think gardiner gives us the best chance then perhaps it is worth it to explore every option including moving him for a young big defensive minded center

Old
04-12-2013, 09:13 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

I would deal Gardiner for the right piece coming back, in an instant. I love having him on our blue line, but take a look at our defensive pipeline. Its stacked with offensive and 2 way D. If we can deal Gardiner for a young C with size and two way presence, we have solidified our C position for years (assuming Kadri continues his development).

If in 3 years our top two lines are something like (pick whichever you want as #1 and #2)

Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin/Biggs
JvR-Couturier-Kessel

We will be a force.
I agree with this.

Trying to make a lateral move potential wise to fill a gaping hole in the roster does NOT mean that people don't like Gardiner, don't think he has a relatively high ceiling, that they're making "knee jerk reactions", that it's a sign of bipolar nation, etc.

People have been suggesting Gardiner for Couturier since last summer. It has nothing to do with his play this year, it's actually a huge compliment, since it's saying that we think he has at least similar value to Couturier, who is considered an almost-untouchable on Philly.

I really like Gardiner. I like what he brings to the table. But we have plenty of similar guys in the system, and plenty of longterm D depth in general, ESPECIALLY with Left-Handed defencemen (Phaneuf/Rielly/Percy/Finn are all LH). Colborne is the only centre with size that we have in the organization, and his NHL upside is questionable, and he's not exactly considered a defensive stalwart either.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Budsfan

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Trade market for Luongo, Ryan Miller & Jonathan Bernier should be something to watch this summer.

If we need a Goal tender this off-season, there should be a good selection to get a pretty decent one, Luongo's Contract is still too long and cap heavy but Vancouver may trade Schneider and Mike Smith is still without a contract.

So possibly Miller, Bernier, Schneider and Smith will be on the market, take your pick.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Trade market for Luongo, Ryan Miller & Jonathan Bernier should be something to watch this summer.

If we need a Goal tender this off-season, there should be a good selection to get a pretty decent one, Luongo's Contract is still too long and cap heavy but Vancouver may trade Schneider and Mike Smith is still without a contract.

So possibly Miller, Bernier, Schneider and Smith will be on the market, take your pick.
I think Smith is the only one that we MIGHT get. Reimers been playing pretty well, there isn't really any justification for paying the absurdly high trade prices that Miller/Bernier/Schneider will command, or any justification for taking on Luongos contract.

Smith can be added as a veteran UFA potentially, where we give up no assets. So I think it's an option Nonis might look at pending the term/price. But I don't think the others are very likely.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mixed feelings on Smith. He has been great in Phoenix, and his success is definitely not only because of the system the Yotes play. Sean Burke (goalie coach) has really helped Smith's game and I'd be worried that his game may slip without Burke and not as strong of defense in front of him. He could also be pretty expensive. So unless Reimer really fails, I'm not sure if Smith is the right fit for us.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Mixed feelings on Smith. He has been great in Phoenix, and his success is definitely not only because of the system the Yotes play. Sean Burke (goalie coach) has really helped Smith's game and I'd be worried that his game may slip without Burke and not as strong of defense in front of him. He could also be pretty expensive. So unless Reimer really fails, I'm not sure if Smith is the right fit for us.
I'm concerned about the caphit he'll command. Aside from money, I think he'd be a great fit.

He's a veteran that's really only had one season as a full starter, mostly he's done split duties or played a backup role. A veteran like that would be good insurance / potentially good mentor for Reimer. Gives somebody who can prevent Reimer from getting warn out, allowing one or the other to play 50 vs 30 games, and gives a veteran presence to lean on if Reimer falters. Whereas we can't have quite the same faith in Scrivens (even though he's played fairly well so far).

But this is Smith's chance for a big contract, which is why I think it's unlikely we'll get him, though still a possibility.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
darrylsittler27

No justitification for Luongo.

Just another ploy to get To. to damage their franchise while bailing out another team.
Vancouver was slipping out of the playoffs until they pulled him and put in Schneider.Luongo is clearly in decline and quite frankly Reimer is better. If Gillis could move Luongo he would have by now. The reality is Gillis will have to pay another team a considerable amount to take him. The owner won't want to eat $40 million.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
I think Smith is the only one that we MIGHT get. Reimers been playing pretty well, there isn't really any justification for paying the absurdly high trade prices that Miller/Bernier/Schneider will command, or any justification for taking on Luongos contract.

Smith can be added as a veteran UFA potentially, where we give up no assets. So I think it's an option Nonis might look at pending the term/price. But I don't think the others are very likely.
I agree but if Nonis still wants to add a Goal Tender, the term and signing value of the cap hit, will be all important, he was trying to sign a goal tender, with a short-term contract, mostly to mentor Reimer and Scrivens and that's the only problem, I can foresee but having said that, he may have a long look at the Goal Tenders, that are potentially available and there will be some good ones.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I'm concerned about the caphit he'll command. Aside from money, I think he'd be a great fit.

He's a veteran that's really only had one season as a full starter, mostly he's done split duties or played a backup role. A veteran like that would be good insurance / potentially good mentor for Reimer. Gives somebody who can prevent Reimer from getting warn out, allowing one or the other to play 50 vs 30 games, and gives a veteran presence to lean on if Reimer falters. Whereas we can't have quite the same faith in Scrivens (even though he's played fairly well so far).

But this is Smith's chance for a big contract, which is why I think it's unlikely we'll get him, though still a possibility.
Not sure if Smith would be interested in a role like that, although he may not really have a choice. There are definitely more goalies available than teams looking for a goalie IMO.

Teams that may be looking for a goalie:

Calgary
Minnesota (Only if Backstrom leaves)
Phoenix (Only if Smith leaves)
Philadelphia
New Jersey
NYI (only if Nabby leaves or they want to go different direction)

Calgary might go with Ramo and Berra, and Jersey has Brodeur coming back so that could limit the options even more for Smith.

I think the best option for Smith is to stay in Phoenix, but I know he's concerned about the ownership issues.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If anything I think Mike Smith goes to Calgary.

04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If anything I think Mike Smith goes to Calgary.
That probably makes a lot of sense.

Just starting a "rebuild", but already stated their goal is to make the playoffs next year. Smith is the only thing close to being considered a longterm starter option available without having to give up any assets (I don't see them trading for Miller, Luongo, etc). And with Feaster at the helm, I could see them throwing a fairly large offer Smith's way.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If Bryz gets bought out by the Flyers do you guys think he's done in the NHL or another team will give him a chance? Personally I think teams will offer him a short deal with small cap hit but he will flee to the KHL for more money.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Ricky Bobby

There could be a lot of change this summer.

Goaltending: The rest of the season will determine if Nonis sticks with the goaltending we have for next season. I don't feel goaltending is as big of an issue as people make it out to be and it allows us to save a lot of cap dollars to apply elsewhere.

Forwards:

-Unless CMac is accepts a big hometown discount like 2.5 per year I don't think he'll be back.

-Bozak. If he's willing to accept something in the 3 to 3.5 per year deal he'll be back. If he expects closer to 5 I fully expect Nonis to let him walk and then try to sign Weiss, Roy, Rib or Filpulla or trade for Stastny

-Colborne should make the team next season but start off with insulated minutes

-Kessel needs to be extended. If he isn't I still expect the team to have him on the roster next season

-Kulemin: I'd like to see him extended this summer but if he isn't I wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged away

Defence:

-Liles will only be traded in the off-season if we need the capspace. Otherwise I expect him to start the season with us and then we trade him partway through the season where we could get better value

-Phaneuf gets extended for similar money or slightly less than what he currently makes. If he wants to truly win and show leadership he shouldn't try to maximize the dollars he could get and instead take a bit of discount to help the team be a winner. Retaining him at around 6 million would be good for both parties. If he did UFA I'd fully expect some team to offer him a 7.5 to 8 million contract.

-Rielly breaks camp with the big club as he's too good for junior but I wouldn't be surprised if the team moved him down to the AHL for development purposes part way through the season

-Hopefully the team signs Ranger who would be a huge addition to the team

-If we try to obtain a center through trade one of Gunnarson or Franson is probably going the other way

-If we have cap room left over I hope Nonis inks a vet dman to a short term deal like Hainsey, White, Rozsival as you can never have to much depth on D (and their is always a trade market for D)

Old
04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Budsfan

Truthfully I'm torn on the Goal tending issue, Reimer has done an exceptional job in the net for us and if we were to get a top line goal tender, he may be shuffled to a back-up position and I'm not sure that's good idea and I thought the same thing at the deadline.

Reimer is only 25, with a reasonable contract and has shown he can hold the crease and with the exception of shoot-outs (not all his fault), he has a very credible save and goals against percentage.

Scrivens is a good back-up and is only a year older than Reimer, on a good contract and we have some good young goal tenders, on the Marlies, that can play too.

However the goal tenders, potentially available, can be game changers and can steal some games, ones you would have no business winning and getting one of these players, could make you a cup contender, or an also ran.

The Flyers have been searching for a top-notch goal tender for years and will likely be getting one again this off-season maybe Miller.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

Personally I think that is what will end up happening, my guess is to the islanders.

Quote:

Smith will probably get 4m at the bare minimum. If we get Smith, it's to be the starter, not split duties. I think it's either him, or Reimer. I would rather go with Reimer. He had one bad season where he had a concussion along with the team falling off a cliff. Take out that season and his sv% is something like .920. If he was on another team, I believe leaf fans would badly want him, it's only because we already have him that some want to improve on him.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
There could be a lot of change this summer.

Goaltending: The rest of the season will determine if Nonis sticks with the goaltending we have for next season. I don't feel goaltending is as big of an issue as people make it out to be and it allows us to save a lot of cap dollars to apply elsewhere.

Forwards:

-Unless CMac is accepts a big hometown discount like 2.5 per year I don't think he'll be back.

-Bozak. If he's willing to accept something in the 3 to 3.5 per year deal he'll be back. If he expects closer to 5 I fully expect Nonis to let him walk and then try to sign Weiss, Roy, Rib or Filpulla or trade for Stastny

-Colborne should make the team next season but start off with insulated minutes

-Kessel needs to be extended. If he isn't I still expect the team to have him on the roster next season

-Kulemin: I'd like to see him extended this summer but if he isn't I wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged away

Defence:

-Liles will only be traded in the off-season if we need the capspace. Otherwise I expect him to start the season with us and then we trade him partway through the season where we could get better value

-Phaneuf gets extended for similar money or slightly less than what he currently makes. If he wants to truly win and show leadership he shouldn't try to maximize the dollars he could get and instead take a bit of discount to help the team be a winner. Retaining him at around 6 million would be good for both parties. If he did UFA I'd fully expect some team to offer him a 7.5 to 8 million contract.

-Rielly breaks camp with the big club as he's too good for junior but I wouldn't be surprised if the team moved him down to the AHL for development purposes part way through the season

-Hopefully the team signs Ranger who would be a huge addition to the team

-If we try to obtain a center through trade one of Gunnarson or Franson is probably going the other way

-If we have cap room left over I hope Nonis inks a vet dman to a short term deal like Hainsey, White, Rozsival as you can never have to much depth on D (and their is always a trade market for D)
Phaneuf will be 29 when his next contract kicks in. So what your saying is we should give him 6 but he can make 8 so if he signs a 8 year deal he will be giving us 16 million dollars , but you think he should give us a discount why? I'm not saying he wont but 16 milion?

Old
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
Phaneuf will be 29 when his next contract kicks in. So what your saying is we should give him 6 but he can make 8 so if he signs a 8 year deal he will be giving us 16 million dollars , but you think he should give us a discount why? I'm not saying he wont but 16 milion?
Two reasons Nonis should try to sell him on:

1. Fans will love him if he takes a discount. Think of how beloved Kaberle was because he took a bit less meanwhile McCabe went for every penny he could and was hated cause of it.

2. To build a perennial contender players sometimes players need to put the team first and take a bit of a discount. There are lots of examples of this. I do feel Phaneuf some GM would definitely pay Phaneuf 7 and even potentially 8 if the contracts that Suter, JayBo and Campbell are any indication.

Closed Thread