HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

13-14' Prospects Thread Version XVI: All Prospect Talk Here

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

vCash: 500
Nilsson looks really good. Very physical and reliable defensively. Pretty much an upgrade in Fraser because he can skate and looking at the videos, he can make a first pass.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Canada/Sweden on now

Old
05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Canada/Sweden on now
Watching it

For those that don't know, Granberg is #8.

Edit:
- Granberg got a nice shot off through traffic. Was a great, low, shot for a tip but didn't happen.
- I liked the distance he was keeping from the Canadian players on a rush. Not so far that they had room to make a pass, but not so close that they could put on a burst of speed and get around him. Can't say I've seen much of Granberg before so I don't know if positioning like that is the norm for him, but if it is, fantastic!
- Had a bad pass in the defensive zone that was intercepted by Canada but Granberg was able to correct his mistake, taking the canadian player out along the boards allowing sweden to get the puck back and get it out.
- was great along the board there. Keeping both Ladd and then Giroux in check and not letting them do anything with the puck.
- One thing I noticed was that when Granberg was PKing he had 2 hands on his stick almost the entire time he was out there. Usually players only have one for better mobility of the stick to break up passes. Was kind of weird looking, whatever works I guess.
- Once again he pins the canadian player up against the boards allowing a teammate to take the puck away and get it out of the zone. He certainly is good at that.

- Granberg screening his goalie on a Canada goal. Was a good tip by Stamkos, not sure if Enroth would have even be able to get to it in time if he could see, but Granberg certainly wasn't helping.
- Another great play by Granberg, hitting simmonds forcing a turnover getting the puck out.

Last edited by Grant: 05-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Watching it

For those that don't know, Granberg is #8.

Edit:
- Granberg got a nice shot off through traffic. Was a great, low, shot for a tip but didn't happen.
- I liked the distance he was keeping from the Canadian players on a rush. Not so far that they had room to make a pass, but not so close that they could put on a burst of speed and get around him. Can't say I've seen much of Granberg before so I don't know if positioning like that is the norm for him, but if it is, fantastic!
- Had a bad pass in the defensive zone that was intercepted by Canada but Granberg was able to correct his mistake, taking the canadian player out along the boards allowing sweden to get the puck back and get it out.
- was great along the board there. Keeping both Ladd and then Giroux in check and not letting them do anything with the puck.
- One thing I noticed was that when Granberg was PKing he had 2 hands on his stick almost the entire time he was out there. Usually players only have one for better mobility of the stick to break up passes. Was kind of weird looking, whatever works I guess.
- Once again he pins the canadian player up against the boards allowing a teammate to take the puck away and get it out of the zone. He certainly is good at that.
Been watching him play.

-Really big dude. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 6'4 or 6'5 now as he was just about level height as Simmonds. Kind of lanky and needs to add bulk.
-Seems a little nervous and jittery. Understandable at his age against NHL'ers.
-Physical along the boards, pins his man and gets a few hits in.
-Looks like a solid skater, but his stride is not super smooth.
-I don't know if it's the number 8 on his back, but I kept being reminded of Komisarek watching him.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:05 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Been watching him play.

-Really big dude. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 6'4 or 6'5 now as he was just about level height as Simmonds. Kind of lanky and needs to add bulk.
-I don't know if it's the number 8 on his back, but I kept being reminded of Komisarek watching him.
Granberg just screened the goal tender, Canada scores.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Granberg just screened the goal tender, Canada scores.
He has also been playing quite well in the tournament as a whole since he is the go to shutdown Dman for the team.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Been watching him play.

Granbergs upper body strength is already insane though, he has broken most of Skellefteå AIKs gym-records.

He's also rumored to have an unusually high pain-threshold so if it weren't for the calm northern mentality he could probably be enforcer-material. Isn't overly aggresive and doesn't initiate fights but usually ends up on top when he enters them.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
Granbergs upper body strength is already insane though, he has broken most of Skellefteå AIKs gym-records.

He's also rumored to have an unusually high pain-threshold so if it weren't for the calm northern mentality he could probably be enforcer-material. Isn't overly aggresive and doesn't initiate fights but usually ends up on top when he enters them.
Does he fight much?

Old
05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Does he fight much?
Nah, there isn't much fighting in SEL. (Automatic match penalty.) Usually just ends with him wrestling the other guy to the ice.
Like with Oleg Saprykin last preseason:

Last edited by SurMartin: 05-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
WhatASaveDave

When is this Petter Granberg kid coming to North America ?

Old
05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
When is this Petter Granberg kid coming to North America ?
He has stated that he's going over this fall to play in NHL/AHL.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Granberg looks like another Swedish steal for us. He looked great today! really impressed, has size, isn't intimidated at all in such a big game, very solid all around game. Can't wait until he comes over.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

If he doesnt make the Leafs (which is a long shot) im hopeful he'll stay for the Marlies to adjust to NA ice.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Granberg - Nilsson - Gunnarsson - Dahlberg - Salming - Steen - Sundin

And people still saying euros are soft...

Old
05-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Shyguy

Quote:
If he doesnt make the Leafs (which is a long shot) im hopeful he'll stay for the Marlies to adjust to NA ice.
He'll stay and play for the Marlies in that case. I think he knows that he won't be able to step in to the NHL right away, he's has probably had a lot of discussions about this with former teammates that has gone over to their NHL-teams (T.Erixon, A.Larsson and Rundblad), so he likely has a good idea of what to expect next season.

Last edited by Shyguy: 05-17-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Granberg - Nilsson - Gunnarsson - Dahlberg - Salming - Steen - Sundin

And people still saying euros are soft...
I think the Leafs managed to find the 7 toughest Swede's out of 9 million in the country. Its magical! haha

Old
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Stephen

Maybe he can take Holzer's place...

Old
05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
showtime8

Granberg looked pretty solid for Sweden today. Didn't look out of place at many points, so that will bode well for his confidence down the road.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Rielly will be the future of our defense the Scott Niedermayer we should have drafted all those years ago. Nilsson will never have the type of game Rielly plays but that's a good thing because Rielly and Gardiner are kinda too similar in that aspect. Nilsson is a guy who can throw his weight around and is reliable in his own end, but also isn't afraid to handle the puck.

The Maple leafs have one of if not the most promising defenses for the future in the NHL. over the next 2 seasons we should see guys like Phaneuf continue to be the leader on the back end, Gardiner be a main fixture with guys like Rielly, Nilsson, and Finn, Blacker and Percy all finding their feed or knocking on the door for the Leafs. Add in some key free agent signing (hopefully someone like Robyn Regehr) maybe Gunnarsson is still around and that's a pretty solid defensive core moving forward. No doubt there will be one or two other names on that list via trades or free agency signings but the defense of Toronto is defiantly a deep and talented core.

What we need is to start drafting skilled forwards, we have the sandpaper/ semi skilled players you need on your 2nd and 3rd lines but we don't have the pure talent in the system upfront yet. Max Domi, Adam Erne, Andre Burakovsky, Jason Dickinson. I wouldn't have a problem adding a game changing physical forward like Ryan Hartman who can do more then just be a physical beast. my first choise would be Burakovsky I think this guy has the potential to be a game breaker from what I have seen of him, Max Domi 2nd as we do need centers and he has offensive potential . Erne is a guy who makes things happen out of nothing.

In closing with the 21st pick we have options to pickup up something special there is some good talent out there for us to snag up this draft I just hope we elect to keep the pick.
Not enough appreciation for the quality of prospect Petter Granberg is, in this post.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I think the Leafs managed to find the 7 toughest Swede's out of 9 million in the country. Its magical! haha
Loov, Daniel Brodin, S.Kronwall...

Old
05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
showtime8

Quote:
I was just kidding.

Sweden isn't generally known for their physical players, but they have been developing guys that are starting to play that way.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:37 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
He'll stay and play for the Marlies in that case. I think he knows that he wonät be able to step in to the NHL raight away, he's has probably had a lot of discussiona bout this with former teammates that has gone over to their NHL-teams (T.Erixon, A.Larsson and Rundblad), so he likely has a good idea of what to expect next season.
Awesome. Thanks for your input!

Old
05-16-2013, 05:43 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Really though, hadly a weakness at all in his game?

I get that we focus on the positives when analyzing our own players, but where's the "room for improvements" section?

He screened Enroth on a goal, and.....?

Old
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Swedes may not be punishers but they have never struck me as soft.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Maybe he can take Holzer's place...
This can't happen soon enough.

Closed Thread