HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Blackout Woes, Please help

Old
03-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
OT: Blackout Woes, Please help

I'm currently out in Albuquerque visiting my parents and was not able to watch the game last night. Apparently, ABQ is in PHO's tv market, even though they are 420 miles apart (yes 420 and yes about a 6 hour drive).

Does anyone know where I can contact or what else I can do to state my case? It's but a temporary problem for me, but this happens to my parents all the time.

Last night, was not even a PHO home game and I was still blacked out through Center Ice even though it was not televised on the PHO station that usually carries the games out here... ridiculous.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:21 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

I dealt with this when I was living in San Diego... It is considered the Ducks market but at the time no cable company in San Diego carried the channels that Ducks games were on so we missed every Sharks game against the Ducks. I actually contacted the Ducks about this issue and they were not helpful at all. I don't know how this is helpful at all

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
I dealt with this when I was living in San Diego... It is considered the Ducks market but at the time no cable company in San Diego carried the channels that Ducks games were on so we missed every Sharks game against the Ducks. I actually contacted the Ducks about this issue and they were not helpful at all. I don't know how this is helpful at all

Same here. But i tried contacting my cable provider and they were even less helpful, so I'd say contacting the team is the lesser of two evils.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Also dealt with the same in San Diego. There's nothing we can do, it's all based on tv regions which a lot of times make no sense. It's not the team, it's the cable channels territory that matters.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:37 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Funny thing, I live in Irvine, which is 15 minutes from Anaheim and I have not once been blacked out for a Ducks game. Whenever I visit home in San Jose, just a bit above Gilroy, I get blacked out from every Sharks game.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Hold the Pickles

I guess I should just be glad I'm not in COL blackout zone as well. That's only 25 miles further at 445 miles out.

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know who determines these zones? Are there multiple zones, one to protect the purchase of tix sales and one to protect the broadcaster?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Hold the Pickles: 03-31-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added "as well"
Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Broomout

vCash: 50
I think the blackout zones are determined by your zip code. The mileage away wouldn't really matter I don't think as I would assume the Coyotes are allowed to claim the entire state of Arizona as "theirs" and probably able to stretch that into New Mexico since it's one of the closest teams. If that's the case and you don't have FS Arizona or which ever channel carries the Coyotes games then there is probably nothing you can do apart from maybe contacting your cable provider to see if you can purchase the channel. If that doesn't work you could try using GCL and using a proxy or VPN to work around that but I'm not entirely sure if that would work either.

Hopefully some of that helps, I feel your pain I live in Connecticut and the state has it's territory divided among Boston, both New York teams, and New Jersey in some parts.

Broomout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

MLB is worse... some states have 4+ teams!

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote