HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Valarukar

vCash: 500
The only thing I'm worried about is how his nutritional intake could be affected by this.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I agree some of his opinions are really dumb but this has nothing to do with his opinions.
Well considering that Sid will be re-evaluated in the week for a timetable and may actually need an additional surgery, his "impeccable source" is just guessing like everyone else.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
what constitutes an impeccable source is certainly an opinion.
True i think hes gonna be accurate with this but that's just my opinion

Old
03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Steigerworld/sta...14800411951104

Impeccable source: Crosby 4-6 wks. Will play in May.

Steigy brother
I bet he looked at the team saying Martin will be out 4-6 weeks after surgery for his broken bone, and just guessed to be the first with the "scoop"

Old
03-31-2013, 07:43 PM
PensFanSince1989

Any time estimate I see now I'm assuming are guesstimates just based on the knowledge of broken jaw.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
The only thing I'm worried about is how his nutritional intake could be affected by this.
Meh, they employ very good nutritionists. The fact that his jaw didn't need to be wired shut will help a lot.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:44 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I think an important thing to keep in mind with this injury is that the length of time it may take for his jaw to be 100% and how long it may be until he can play can very well be two different things.
keep your eye on the scoring race....when it get close sid will be back

Old
03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
AK

Best journalistic reporting of all time?

John Steigerwald's report of a Crosby recovery time, or Woodward and Berstein reporting Watergate?

Seriously, he's almost as much of a hack as Rossi. I'm not too invested in any recovery time that gets put out before the Penguins offer one themselves.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I agree some of his opinions are really dumb but this has nothing to do with his opinions.
Agreed. He and his brother are irritating with their opinions but they know people in that organization so I would not be surprised if he's right about this. That doesn't mean I think Sid will be out 4-6 weeks. I would not be surprised to see Sid throw on a cage and comeback a little earlier than the initial timetable.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
gopens66
Hockey&Literature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Trapjaw! I had his action figure as a kid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Yeah, this picture took me into YT and now I'm watching some He-man stuff.
When I was a kid, my aunt worked for Mattel and used me as a test subject. I played with He-Man and Skeletor over a year before the toy line was released. I ended up with pretty much every He-man toy ever made. My mom sold it all at a yard sale.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:06 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Agreed. He and his brother are irritating with their opinions but they know people in that organization so I would not be surprised if he's right about this. That doesn't mean I think Sid will be out 4-6 weeks. I would not be surprised to see Sid throw on a cage and comeback a little earlier than the initial timetable.
Ya i don't get the people who think its bs his brother has worked for the organization forever like 20-30 years and people think he has no sources and has no idea what hes talking about.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Terrapin

Sid needs to get some of this stuff: Cissus Quadrangularis. Took it when I broke and had surgery on my hand.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
JQR
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
Dupuis is going to chew his food for him and feed him like a baby bird.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

I guess my point is that nobody seems to know the timetable for Sid's injuries yet, so putting a definite timetable on it just seems like guesswork to me. Every injury is different so saying "normal recovery time is 4-6 weeks" and applying that to Sid's injury is most likely just guesswork/click bait/lazy journalism. Everyone is going to drive themselves crazy trying to guess when Sid will be back. You're better off just ignoring any updates that don't come from the Pens themselves. He'll be back when he's back, people giving themselves ulcers over it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

We're also very fortunate that we have one of the only teams in the league who could lose the best player in the world and not miss a beat. They're a better team with Sid to be sure, but it's unlikely that they go into a tailspin without him. And if they do it won't be from lack of talent.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
That's what I'm saying. The time frame for a typical broken jaw to fully heal is about 4-6 weeks. But someone like Sid could easily throw on a cage and play while it's still healing after just a couple weeks.

Plus we don't even know how his break compares to a typical break.

Old
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Ya i don't get the people who think its bs his brother has worked for the organization forever like 20-30 years and people think he has no sources and has no idea what hes talking about.
Pretty sure Paul Steigerwald does not work for the Penguins. He works for Root Sports.

And regardless of who he works for, I doubt people are sharing Sid's personal medical information with him.

Old
Terrapin

I really don't understand though how his jaw isn't wired shut if it's broken? Isn't that standard? I mean, with any break, they immobilize the bone to allow for mending.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
No man, wasn't it Lockjaw?
AgentM is correct. That is Trapjaw of the He-man and the Master of the Universe line. I remember most of the villians because growing up my brother (who was younger) got the heroes, and I got the villians. I never figured that out completely. Was Mom trying to tell me something?

Old
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Solution

When Tocchet had his broken jaw, how long was he out? I was thinking it was a couple of weeks and he returned with the cage. Of course I am too lazy to look it up. I guess I probably should.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Terrapin

He-Man guys were the best.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
JQR
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I really don't understand though how his jaw isn't wired shut if it's broken? Isn't that standard? I mean, with any break, they immobilize the bone to allow for mending.
Depends on where it is broken. They can use pins, plates, or even rubber bands depending on the nature of the fracture.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Jaded-Fan

My source, google, says 4-8 weeks:

Most displaced jawbone fractures will require closed reduction and internal fixation for four to six weeks. While the athlete’s jaw is wired shut, the athlete should be consuming high-protein, high-carbohydrate liquid diets. It is normal for an athlete to lose between 5% and 10% of his/her body weight during this time. If there is concern about the amount of weight lost, the athlete should consult with a nutritionist.

When is it safe to return to sports after a broken jaw?

Light activities such as stationary cycling, walking, and light resistance exercises can be performed during the time of fixation to maintain muscle tone. Care should be taken not to increase the heart rate to a level where increased oxygen is needed for the muscles because the athlete is only able to breathe through his/her nose and not able to breathe through his/her mouth to increase the oxygen uptake. It is recommended that the athlete should not return to contact or collision sports until one to two months after the jaw is unwired.

http://www.sportsmd.com/Articles/tab...bular_fracture)

As an aside the Stanley Cup playoffs begin April 30, or 4 weeks and 2 days from today.

As a further aside, on the main board they calculated that because of the teams below us playing one another, someone did the calculation and basically we could lose every game but one the remainder of the season and would still make the playoffs no matter what the teams below us did.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I guess my point is that nobody seems to know the timetable for Sid's injuries yet, so putting a definite timetable on it just seems like guesswork to me. Every injury is different so saying "normal recovery time is 4-6 weeks" and applying that to Sid's injury is most likely just guesswork/click bait/lazy journalism. Everyone is going to drive themselves crazy trying to guess when Sid will be back. You're better off just ignoring any updates that don't come from the Pens themselves. He'll be back when he's back, people giving themselves ulcers over it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

We're also very fortunate that we have one of the only teams in the league who could lose the best player in the world and not miss a beat. They're a better team with Sid to be sure, but it's unlikely that they go into a tailspin without him. And if they do it won't be from lack of talent.
How do you know nobody seems to know the timetable? There have been plenty of times this year where the pens haven't acknowledged injuries this year, all hockey teams in general are weird when it comes to injuries upper body injury and lower body injury is what you usually get out of them just because there not giving a timeframe doesn't mean they don't have one right now, Also keep in mind trade deadline this week if Shero would want to add a center probably better not to come out with timeframe if its going to be long.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
When Tocchet had his broken jaw, how long was he out? I was thinking it was a couple of weeks and he returned with the cage. Of course I am too lazy to look it up. I guess I probably should.
Man, my memory is terrible. Old age does that to you. Tocchet got a broken jaw in March of 1992. He finished that game (with two goals including the game winner) and missed the next three before returning.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Depends on where it is broken. They can use pins, plates, or even rubber bands depending on the nature of the fracture.
Thanks. I'm just hoping he's back for the playoffs. Even then, getting back into game shape may take a while. This team just can't catch a break.

Closed Thread