HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
It's a good conversation guys, but really taking us off topic. We don't know exactly what Sid is up against. We need more information.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:27 PM
ThatGuy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
so you're saying the rate the body absorbs calories, protein, fat from a liquid is the same as if i ate the same amount in a steak?

i lost 10 pounds on a liquid diet in 3 weeks (medical reason) keeping up a near 3000 calorie liquid diet and my metabolism was probably no where near as high as a world class athlete
im no nutritionist, but my conclusion is you either weigh 500 pounds or weren't eating 3000 calories

Old
03-31-2013, 09:29 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Mr. Robert Lang

Old
03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
tigga334
SHERO**your guy

hey anquan boldin broke his entire face and his jaw wired shut and was back in three weeks. i think sid will be back in the last week of april

Old
03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Tocchet did not have surgery that I can remember.
Rick Tocchet could have played without his head.

Didn't that crappy defenseman (Joel Bouchard) that the Pens got in the Kovalev trade break his jaw too?

Old
03-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If you use twitter - please provide a link
Unless it's Rossi, in which case just say that it's Rossi.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:49 PM
madinsomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigga334 View Post
hey anquan boldin broke his entire face and his jaw wired shut and was back in three weeks. i think sid will be back in the last week of april
That is on my top ten list of most gruesome NFL injuries... not quite top 5, but still epicly bad

Old
03-31-2013, 09:52 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
John Steigerwald's report of a Crosby recovery time, or Woodward and Berstein reporting Watergate?

Seriously, he's almost as much of a hack as Rossi. I'm not too invested in any recovery time that gets put out before the Penguins offer one themselves.
?

John Steigerwald's quite crazy (and his brother's an awful announcer), but they're both very well plugged in to the Pittsburgh sports scene.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
?

John Steigerwald's quite crazy (and his brother's an awful announcer), but they're both very well plugged in to the Pittsburgh sports scene.
I deal with John Steigerwald on a professional basis. He's crazy.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:55 PM
joey23

It's April Fools Day - Prepare yourself fake news/twits are coming

Old
03-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
yeah, um try some more extremes. maybe that will work for ya.

i see patients everyday that cant eat solids and go on high calorie liquid diets and guess what?? they still lose weight
You dodged the point. Please explain the mechanism of where these calories go.

Either you are saying a liquid diet revs the metabolism to very high levels (again, what is the mechanism for that?) to burn off the "high" calories, or these patients are lying, incorrect, or directed incorrectly about their intake.

Which do you wager is more likely? Someone being mistaken or you discovered the drink all you want obesity cure?

I'm glad my mom didn't breastfeed me and had me on solid foods on the day I was born or I would've withered away drinking liquid milk.

Many a weightlifter has been on the GOMAD diet (gallon of milk a day) to gain weight; it is hardly extreme.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:57 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Unless it's Rossi, in which case just say that it's Rossi.
#RossiSaystheDarndestThings

Old
03-31-2013, 10:00 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
so you're saying the rate the body absorbs calories, protein, fat from a liquid is the same as if i ate the same amount in a steak?
Yes! No matter how you intake something, it's the same. Go into a nusing home, and see how they get the nutrients needed into the elderly (especially the ones that can't chew).

Old
03-31-2013, 10:00 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey23 View Post
It's April Fools Day - Prepare yourself fake news/twits are coming
Great.

At least we know Sid won't be at the zoo

Old
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Also Justin Bourne retired from hockey after a slapshot to the jaw.

Quote:
I sat on my couch and aimed my face at the TV for 16th consecutive hour, teeth wired together to keep my jaw immobile, body packed full of liquid Percocet.

My laptop was on my lap and the TV was playing old seasons of "Entourage," but I wasn't really involved in either of them; I was just there, existing, literally waiting for my injury to heal. What else could I do but set my brain to "hibernate" and wait for winter's chill to pass?

When my face shattered after a teammate's slap-bomb exploded into my jaw-line, I was allowed to be around the team, but didn't want to be. My face was swollen, I could barely mumble, and I was in a constant zone. At least with this injury people knew it was legit -- when I tore my MCL at the start of the season, I sat in the stands with no visible injury and sloughed off a few cheap shots about being soft. Pretty standard hockey-player stuff, but it gets trying after awhile.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
tigga334
SHERO**your guy

also after more research back in 91 paul coffey had the same injury was out from april 19 to may 17. its speculative but if sid is on similiar time frame he could be back by game if not sooner

Old
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
PensFanSince1989

Nevermind. Off topic and not gonna pretend to be an expert on the topic.

Last edited by PensFanSince1989: 03-31-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 10:15 PM
NewFang

I appreciate the need for optimism but it could mean absolutely nothing that his jaw isnt wired shut. Maybe they haven't wired it yet because he's scheduled for more dental surgery this week (as has been reported)? who knows.

The facts we know are that his jaw is broken, and required surgery (i.e. His bones were set by plates, pins, screws, etc). That' can't be a good thing. Do a bit of googling and you'll see that recovery times vary wildly, as long as a few months, but I've never read it only taking days. I can't believe people are suggesting he'll be back on Friday? Come on.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:20 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigga334 View Post
also after more research back in 91 paul coffey had the same injury was out from april 19 to may 17. its speculative but if sid is on similiar time frame he could be back by game if not sooner
Yes, I've read some of the same articles. 4 weeks seems about the best case scenario right now. There are many significant dangers with coming back too early and getting hit.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I appreciate the need for optimism but it could mean absolutely nothing that his jaw isnt wired shut. Maybe they haven't wired it yet because he's scheduled for more dental surgery this week (as has been reported)? who knows.

The facts we know are that his jaw is broken, and required surgery (i.e. His bones were set by plates, pins, screws, etc). That' can't be a good thing. Do a bit of googling and you'll see that recovery times vary wildly, as long as a few months, but I've never read it only taking days. I can't believe people are suggesting he'll be back on Friday? Come on.
The only thing that makes me optimistic about an earlier return is the Knuble story and a few others (Knuble broken jaw, no wiring, missed 1 week/3 games. I would not expect the same from Crosby but it at least gives me a glimmer of hope.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:27 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The only thing that makes me optimistic about an earlier return is the Knuble story and a few others (Knuble broken jaw, no wiring, missed 1 week/3 games. I would not expect the same from Crosby but it at least gives me a glimmer of hope.
Even if he could come back before the the playoffs there not gonna rush him back to play meaningless regular season games

Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Pretty sure Knuble didn't need surgery. Could have a been a hairline fracture or something like that.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:29 PM
gordie

I expect this 4 to 6 weeks rumor is probably true and he's back for Game 1 in the playoffs with a full shield.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Pretty sure Knuble didn't need surgery. Could have a been a hairline fracture or something like that.
The article said he had a metal plate and pins holding his jaw together, so that means surgery.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

I've been doing a bit of research on jaw injuries with athletes and their recovery times. I agree with you that a Friday return is absolutely insane, but I really do believe that a return on April 17th against Montreal is possible.

I posted about Knuble earlier who returned in 8 days from a very similar injury. Others posted about Vanek and Selanne who missed in the range of 2 to 3.5 weeks. A junior player recently had his jaw broken and was able to get back on the ice in a little less than a month.

In other sports, someone mentioned Anquan Boldin and how he only missed two games after getting 40 titanium screws, seven plates, and his jaw wired shut. Last year in the Olympics the captain of a woman's field hockey team had a jaw fracture, surgery that night, and was able to return in five days.

I'd personally rather take the news from Shero about him being in good spirits and not having his jaw wired and look at it from an optimistic point of view. But that's just me.

Closed Thread