HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 12:55 AM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
if it was in between he could prob break his mandible and lose upper teeth. or just lose teeth from upper and lower jaw.

my friend also mentioned that while mouthguards do protect against concussions, they are also designed to limit damage done by direct trauma to the mouth/jaw, despite what some people here have said. so it was a good thing he had his mouthguard.
I just don't understand playing in today's NHL and not wearing a visor and mouthpiece.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:55 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
if it was in between he could prob break his mandible and lose upper teeth. or just lose teeth from upper and lower jaw.

my friend also mentioned that while mouthguards do protect against concussions, they are also designed to limit damage done by direct trauma to the mouth/jaw, despite what some people here have said. so it was a good thing he had his mouthguard.
I'm gonna go with the losing teeth from the upper and lower if that's OK with you, its the one that keeps me happiest

Yes, the mouthguard is there for an obvious reason, not a fashion statement, I have no doubt that it saved him a couple of weeks

Old
03-31-2013, 01:00 AM
titaniumexpose
HF Pens:Got Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I think he'll be fine, like I said, he was spitting out blood, you CANNOT do that with a broken jaw, its too painful to move it let alone spit.

What if it was in between? Cause I personally couldn't tell, it looked like it was basically on the lips? Now if he did have a broken jaw, you'd be able to tell by some sort of shift right? This may be wrong, but I didn't really see a shift in his jawline as he was going off, and if there was, he'd be down a ******** longer than the 20 seconds he was down
That's what it looked like to me. I'm only worried about the dreaded c-word. Is a hit right to the teeth as likely to cause symptoms as a hit to other parts of the jaw?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:03 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
That's what it looked like to me. I'm only worried about the dreaded c-word. Is a hit right to the teeth as likely to cause symptoms as a hit to other parts of the jaw?
To the teeth? Highly unlikely, cause it doesn't cause your head to snap back or whip back, which in turn doesn't technically cause contact with your brain and your skull, the reaction that Sid had doesn't look like it could've had the velocity to initiate that sort of contact

Old
03-31-2013, 01:06 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
His teeth, unfortunately for them, absorbed some of the impact of the puck. Also, even a fast-traveling puck will not have nearly as much force as a 200 lb. skater so in this case I wouldn't really worry about it.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:09 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
His teeth, unfortunately for them, absorbed some of the impact of the puck. Also, even a fast-traveling puck will not have nearly as much force as a 200 lb. skater so in this case I wouldn't really worry about it.
Who cares bout his teeth...as long as his head and jaw are fine, he can get fake ones like before...

Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
i asked my friend who is an oral maxillofacial surgeon about these sorts of injuries. he said a puck to the mandible (lower jaw) is potentially more serious than a puck to the upper jaw. a puck to his upper jaw (maxilla) would probably just break teeth. a puck to the mandible could break the mandible in addition to teeth.

the jaw is basically a rigid ring structure, with the mandible connected to the skull. you don't typically fracture one part of the mandible, since its a rigid ring. you instead normally have fractures in at least two places, ie the bottom/front of the mandible and on the side where it articulates with the skull.

he said if sid just damaged his teeth, it will be very painful but no problems. in that case he wouldn't be out long. if he broke his mandible he shouldn't have any further trauma to that area for a few weeks. i'm not sure if that means he could play soon with a jaw shield thing or if he would have to be out for that entire time.

i just hope it isn't concussion.

i will also flip out if that dirty greek stamkos wins the art ross. god that would make me mad.
I feel that Sid would have been in a lot more visible pain if he had a broken or dislocated jaw. He seemed to get up fairly quickly and it didn't look like he was in a terrible amount of discomfort. A serious jaw injury would hurt a lot more than losing a few teeth, I would think. The impacted area is going to be really tender for the next while though, that's for sure.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Who cares bout his teeth...as long as his head and jaw are fine, he can get fake ones like before...
I hope he does, I can't imagine him without his smile.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

You really never know with these things though, Patrick Eaves was hit in the teeth area and was out with a concussion for the rest of the season a year back.

Hopefully we get an update tomorrow. *Looks at Bylsma*.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:32 AM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

It's easter. We'll see. Either way, Jesus rose and SCF has tons of cider for tomorrow :-)

Old
03-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Hockey Shmokey

You can breathe a little easier guys:

Quote:
Neil Smith ‏@nycneil 2h
Lots of work on 87's jaw and bottom teeth but NO concussion issue. Good news for @penguins
- https://twitter.com/nycneil/status/318236111816249344

Last edited by Hockey Shmokey: 03-31-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Shmokey View Post
You can breathe a little easier guys:
A little easier, but the jaw thing is really vague.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:15 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
This.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:16 AM
Hockey Shmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
True but it's definitely a lot better than a concussion. I'll take what I can get at this point but I'm optimistic that it's nothing too serious. Hopefully. I mean, the Hockey Gods aren't this cruel right??

Old
03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Jaded-Fan

If tweets were reliable Iginla would be in Boston right now. I will believe news on this when I see it, though I am pretty hopeful. Playing the odds, it looked like the most likely result was some nasty dental issues. But I have a pretty low opinion of the reliability of tweets since the whole iginla fiasco.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Also, "lots of work" in surgery terms is kind of a scary statement.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Malkinburgh

Hopefully he just has a game off(if needed) and there really is no concussion issues.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:44 AM
FinProspects

Reminds me of the injury that Selänne took a month before the Olympics, except that the puck hit him to the left side of his jaw, not teeth. Selänne lost several pounds because he could not chew anything for few weeks-> He sucked big time in the Olympics. He was out for 3-4 weeks.

I think that is the worst case scenario for Crosby. I´d say Crosby is out for a week or two.

Here´s the link to the Selänne injury, if anyone´s interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3lxSx1yHQ

Old
03-31-2013, 05:23 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Is this the post-op?

Old
03-31-2013, 06:46 AM
KrejciMVP

Crosby is going to be in a very grumpy mood bc of this

Old
03-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Get those protein shakes mixed up. Somebody's on a liquid diet for a while.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
NastyNick

Shero trades for big time winger - Sid gets injured

Happened with Hossa, then Neal, now Iglinla.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
NewFang

Ok i'll say it - I know he'll be back relatively soon, but he already missed one game in a short season and missing even a few more will hurt his point totals for the year. I want him to win the ross, hart, pearson.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
If there's a bright side to this, I hope his jaw is sore for awhile and has trouble speaking so all the media will leave him the **** alone.
If there is a will there is a way.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:05 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Reporting in for my morning freak out and fret session.

Closed Thread