HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tarasenko Vs Schwartz: Who will have a better career

View Poll Results: Tarasenko vs Schwartz: Who will have a better career?
Tarasenko 37 80.43%
Schwartz 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Colt 55
RIP Oscar

vCash: 500
Tarasenko Vs Schwartz: Who will have a better career

At the start of this season it appeared Tarasenko was head and shoulders above Schwartz, but recently Schwartz has really stepped up his game. He has been spending time on the top line, his defensive play is incredible for a rookie. I just wanted to see how many people think he will be better in the long run over Tarasenko.

Colt 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
ExJbeck

IDK, both are different and great players. Schwartz definitely has had a bigger impact in the games so far. Tarasenko has game changing skill and one hell of a shot. It looks like both will have great careers which is all that matters to me.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:23 PM
nicholas89alex

looking at goals and points total Tarasenko should be head and shoulders above Schwartz, I would put Tarasenko's max at 90 with Schwartz's at around 75 per season. however I see Schwartz being a better player in his own zone and a guy that makes his teammates look better. I also see scwartz being a steady player that doesn't stand out to average fans while Tarasenko has the game breaking talent to make highlight real plays. So all in all they should both have great careers and likely have the same impact in different ways

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Bluesman91

Hard to say until we see both of them take that next leap in their game. But I think both end up becoming 1st line players on our team in 2-3 years.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Robb_K

That is too general a question to be answered, and it will depend upon how one defines "Better", in terms of a forward's value to his team. Both of them should be very effective in helping their team's offence score points. I think that both will be, at the very least, perennial 65-70 point scorers throughout their primes. I think that Tarasenko will be a better goal scorer, and Schwartz will be a better assist man. I can't even attempt a prediction as to which will be the better overall total point scorer.

I think that Schwartz will, ultimately be a little better on defence, simply because Tarasenko's game (concentrating on goal scoring) will require him to be more conscious of trying to get into offensive position on the ice in anticipation of his team's next offensive play.

But, that will depend a lot on how Schwartz develops his body (adding the necessary strength to be a top defender, and increasing his skating speed). Schwartz is very small by current NHL standards, and will need to be very strong to impede opposing players. He is not overly fast, and so, must depend more on his hockey sense, quickness in reacting, recognising how plays are developing, anticipating where players and the puck will be, and quickness in getting into the proper position to successfully make his play.

Most successful small NHL players have super or well-above average speed (as well as strength), to make up for their natural deficiencies of height, weight/bulk and arm reach. Schwartz seems to already be above average in strength for a small NHL rookie. But he has a long way to go to have enough strength to counteract his small size handicap in providing above-average defence in The NHL. I'm confident he'll get there by next season (or the beginning of the one after). He's already reasonably effective on offence, just due to his outstanding "hockey sense". But, he could be a star player in The NHL, if he could combine his current excellent offensive sense, positioning and passing skills, and decent shooting skill, with well-above average skating speed. He should work on that as Backes did.

Tarasenko also has to work on different aspects of his game to become a star player in The NHL. He, too, will need to add a significant amount of strength.

Both players will improve significantly with experience, and time, allowing their bodies to mature, while building up strength. Both seem to want badly to succeed at a high level in The NHL. So, I'm confident that both will be valuable players. It just remains to be seen whether or not either or both will reach the "star level".

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Colt 55
RIP Oscar

I guess a better way to put it would be, if you could only pick one of the two , who would you pick? With the way the two have played this year I would pick Schwartz, but thats probably because I like playmakers more.

Colt 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:55 PM
ExJbeck

I feel comfortable saying that Tarasenko is just as capable of making any pass that Schwartz makes. We haven't seen many of the passes from Tarasenko, but we will IMO. He is looking for them.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
I guess a better way to put it would be, if you could only pick one of the two , who would you pick? With the way the two have played this year I would pick Schwartz, but thats probably because I like playmakers more.
It's too early for me to pick one or the other, for the reasons I've mentioned above. BOTH have much to work on in their development, some of which is in different areas of their games. Both have varying current levels of skill in different areas of their games. Too many factors are involved that are total crapshoots. Both players have very good attitudes and a high work ethic. But, a LOT of different things can happen in many different areas.

My gut feeling is that they will both reach the levels of ("team star") lower-level NHL star (e.g. top 1-2 forwards on team, best goal scorer, best assist man on team, (Top 10-12 in NHL) , but not "superstar" level (Top 5 in NHL). But, I think that Tarasenko has a little more upside potential as a super goal scorer. But he is less likely to reach THAT, than the more sure overall game that Schwartz is likely to have.

So, everything points to roughly a simialr value to a team, at this point. Two years from now, it may be easier to try to predict one being more valuable to a team. But even then, we will have to define and a agree upon what being "more valuable" means.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
So why wouldn't you pick the one who has created more plays?

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:52 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

I`m just glad I don`t HAVE to pick, love em both

they are too different so if you have to pick you pick the guy who fits better for your teams needs, so in our case it would be Vladi I guess

and its really a bad time for a question like this, don`t forget Vladi already is a (little) star in Russia, is a step ahead of Jaden in his developement but on the other hand he is just developing to the NA game

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Tarasenko has much more potential than Schwartz, IMO

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense considering Tarasenko has more points than Schwartz

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 100
Schwartz the play maker and Frank the finisher. Like the old Hull and Oates days

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Schwartz the play maker and Frank the finisher. Like the old Hull and Oates days
both had HHoF carriers, just proves that this poll is unnecessary (no offense OP, I just don`t like threads like this)

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Accidentally picked Schwartz in the poll.

Tarasenko has elite level potential, Schwartz has good 1st liner potential. If Schwartz had better speed, this would be a much closer poll.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

If I could only pick one, it would be Tarasenko. He has the best shot on the team already, and he's going to learn how to become a better two way player, and better player along the boards. He's also going to develop better speed, and get used to the North American game and will become an offensive force. Schwartz is going to be an excellent player. He already thinks the game at such a ridiculous level. When he's on the forecheck, he seems to know exactly where they are going with the puck. There's no doubt in my mind that the points will come for Schwartz. I'm glad we don't have to choose (Thanks Jarmo and JD)

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 100
These two guys barely shave. Imagine how good they will be in a few years? Then throw in Jaskin and Rattie. I was really looking forward to having a 1st and 2 seconds this year in a loaded draft to keep the pipeline going, but J-Bo and Leo were good additions, especially if we can lock up J-Bo long term.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
These two guys barely shave. Imagine how good they will be in a few years? Then throw in Jaskin and Rattie. I was really looking forward to having a 1st and 2 seconds this year in a loaded draft to keep the pipeline going, but J-Bo and Leo were good additions, especially if we can lock up J-Bo long term.
I keep saying on these boards the draft is not as loaded as originally thought. the top 5 is one of the best top in the last 10 years. after that theres not a sure firer top line player even

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Imagine if Schwartz transitions to center, Jaskin-Schwartz-Tarasenko.

Could be a possibility at some point if Berglund doesn't get more consistent and we can't get that top center.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
I keep saying on these boards the draft is not as loaded as originally thought. the top 5 is one of the best top in the last 10 years. after that theres not a sure firer top line player even
No draft has sure fire top line players throughout the 1st round. It's why you can't rate a draft until it's years down the road, but this draft has some pretty promising picks throughout.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Two great yet totally different players. Haven't voted because I'm not really sure who I would give an edge to. IMO Tarasenko may have a better offensive career, but I can see Schwartz being more of an all-around player. I guess it might depend on what is more highly valued. Love both these guys on our team and they will only be more exciting to watch as they get more experience in their roles here.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Imagine if Schwartz transitions to center, Jaskin-Schwartz-Tarasenko.

Could be a possibility at some point if Berglund doesn't get more consistent and we can't get that top center.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I've been thinking the same thing.
It's like what we thought Perron-Berglund-Oshie would be, but better.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

This is one of those polls that I just cannot vote on. You really can pick the better player of these two when they are both such different types of players. Schwartz and Frank will both be solid top line players, but will be used differently.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:15 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I see no point it trying to choose between them. But I've always thought it was significant that the Blues selected Jaden with the first of the 2 picks.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote