HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Yandle for Paul Stastny

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Keith Yandle for Paul Stastny

To PHX: Stastny
To COL: Yandle

Avs get a top 2 dman who would be a huge upgrade on every current Avs dman not named EJ.

PHX gets a #1 centre and a star player to build around, and they can move Hanzal to the 2nd line (where he really belongs).

Another alternative is Stastny to FLA for Campbell.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Just IMO, but Stasny isn't a star player, and Yandle with his contract has a much higher trade value.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
DanltQC

Will never happen. Yandle is way more valuable to his team than Stastny is.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Avs71

I'd sweeten the pot as an Avs fan. What would Phoenix realistically want in addition to Stastny?

Old
03-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Avs have to add. Maybe even add a lot.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Can't see us trading Yandle for essentially one year of Stastny.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
HappyGilmourr

Stastny + ??? I would say a 1st but that 1st is likely a lottery pick... I don't no if Colorado has the assets to make this type of trade.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just IMO, but Stasny isn't a star player, and Yandle with his contract has a much higher trade value.
Totally agree.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
To PHX: Stastny
To COL: Yandle

Avs get a top 2 dman who would be a huge upgrade on every current Avs dman not named EJ.

PHX gets a #1 centre and a star player to build around, and they can move Hanzal to the 2nd line (where he really belongs).

Another alternative is Stastny to FLA for Campbell.
There Is no way your going to do a 1 for 1 on Keith Yandle and sorry you wont do a 1 for 1 on Campbell either. They have far more value to there current team then Stasny does to Colorado.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Stastny only has one year left, right? In the new CBA, how early can you work out an extension? How much of Stastny's six point six million dollar salary could Colorado eat next season? What's the maximum allowable under the new CBA?

If the Coyotes could negotiate a reasonable extension before the trade, and the Avs were willing to eat at least fifty percent of Stastny's salary next season, than we might have something to talk about. Of course Colorado would still need to add.

As in this hypothetical: Colorado ends up with pick number four and Phoenix with pick number eight. If at the draft the Coyotes can work out a three year, twelve million dollar extension, the Avs are willing to eat three million in 2013-2014, and switch first rounders, while also sacrificing their second rounder, it could be somewhat appealing to Phoenix, I'd imagine.

Last edited by rt: 04-01-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Stastny only has one year left, right? In the new CBA, how early can you work out an extension? How much of Stastny's six point six million dollar salary could Colorado eat next season? What's the maximum allowable under the new CBA?

If the Coyotes could negotiate a reasonable extension before the trade, and the Avs were willing to eat at least fifty percent of Stastny's salary next season, than we might have something to talk about. Of course Colorado would still need to add.

As in this hypothetical: Colorado ends up with pick number four and Phoenix with pick number eight. If at the draft the Coyotes can work out a three year, twelve million dollar extension, the Avs are willing to eat three million in 2013-2014, and switch first rounders, while also sacrificing their second rounder, it could be somewhat appealing to Phoenix, I'd imagine.
So you would want our top 5 1st, us retaining 3m or Stastny's cap, Stastny, and our 2nd which would basically be a late 1st, for your 8th overall pick and Yandle? Yeah, no thanks. We would definitely have to add to Stastny, but forget that.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:44 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Yeah, I wish the Coyotes fans would stop trying to force Yandle down every other team's throat, too...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yep, drop four spots, lose a second round pick, eat three million bucks, and turn Stastny into Yandle. Your third center for your new number one D. Also, isn't BPA at 4 guaranteed to be a C? At 8 its likely a D. Doesn't Colorado still have by far the fewest points by D in the NHL? Aren't Duchene and ROR the 1 and 2 Cs of the future?

It's basically Stastny, one of Lindholm(c) or Barkov(c), a 2nd and some bucks for Yandle and one of Nurse(D), Pulock(D), or Zadorov(D). Maybe Shinkaruk(w) or Nichushkin(w) if you prefer.

Last edited by rt: 04-01-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

We heard of rumors between the Rangers and Coyotes about Yandle, but we never heard what's the other side of the trade. Do you guys know?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:52 AM
TurdFerguson

Give PHX the option to swap 1sts this year with the Avs and it seems reasonable.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
We heard of rumors between the Rangers and Coyotes about Yandle, but we never heard what's the other side of the trade. Do you guys know?
"We heard of rumors"? What does that mean? Who is "we" and where were these rumors heard?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Yep, drop four spots, lose a second round pick, eat three million bucks, and turn Stastny into Yandle. Your third center for your new number one D. Also, isn't BPA at 4 guaranteed to be a C? At 8 its likely a D.
#1 D? Now you're scaring me. Yandle faces the 7th toughest quality of competition out of all PHX defensman, 61.2% of his starts are in the offensive zone, takes the 3rd most amount of all penalties per 60 minutes among PHX defensman who have played over 15 games, plays over 22 minutes a game, yet only averages 2 seconds of pk time per game, and gets over 3 minutes of PP time, and leads the team in even strength time. The guy has ridiculously sheltered minutes. It's absolutely pathetic. Top pairing defensman? Not in my opinion. On the Avs he'd be thrown against the other teams top line every night, and I doubt he'd be getting over 60% of his starts in the offensive zone, which is absolutely ridiculous btw. I think he would get lit up here. Far tougher competion, and less opportunity to score. The guy is spoon fed his minutes.

And about the pick thing, we currently have the 2nd overall pick.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Dude, he's already second in ice time on the team, and we want to ADD PK minutes? Of course he gets a ton of PP time. He's tied for third overall in team scoring, he's 2nd in overall pp points, and first overall in pp goals. This all includes even forwards. Of course you want this guy getting as much pp time and as many offensive zone starts as possible. Especially when you are a struggling Coyotes team that's frequently behind by a goal or more. You aren't going to give him 45mins a night in ice time, are you? You want any given D topping out at 25ish a night, ideally, correct? I think most of us would want Yandle to spend as many of those 25mins a night in the offensive zone and with the man advantage.

You call that "sheltering" and that's fine. I call it trying to convert on opportunities by putting your best converter out there for opportunities. We've got players who specialize in PK and D zone coverage. Let Michalek and Klesla do that. You don't want them on the pp when you are down a goal. You don't want them taking offensive zone starts when you are down a goal. You want Yandle doing what Yandle does.

Kinda makes sense, right?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Chacal667

Keith Yandle for Lars Eller, Sebastian Collberg and a first ?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:05 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
#1 D? Now you're scaring me. Yandle faces the 7th toughest quality of competition out of all PHX defensman, 61.2% of his starts are in the offensive zone, takes the 3rd most amount of all penalties per 60 minutes among PHX defensman who have played over 15 games, plays over 22 minutes a game, yet only averages 2 seconds of pk time per game, and gets over 3 minutes of PP time, and leads the team in even strength time. The guy has ridiculously sheltered minutes. It's absolutely pathetic. Top pairing defensman? Not in my opinion. On the Avs he'd be thrown against the other teams top line every night, and I doubt he'd be getting over 60% of his starts in the offensive zone, which is absolutely ridiculous btw. I think he would get lit up here. Far tougher competion, and less opportunity to score. The guy is spoon fed his minutes.
You are acting like he can't do any of the aforementioned things. On Phoenix, he doesn't have to and is never asked to. You've got far better PKers. Crying about how Yandle doesn't PK therefore he isn't a top pairing D when he plays with Klesla, Michalek, OEL, Morris and Schlemko is just stupid. All of those guys the Coyotes can afford to run into the ground on the PK. Klesla and Michalek are two very prolific shot blockers. You've got far more physical pairings to handle bigger opponents. Starts in the offensive zone is a total non starter. That's indicative of being on a better team that is capable of winning faceoffs. Yandle doesn't get 'lit up' because most of the time he has the puck or makes a great breakout pass. Do I have to go fish out that article that says he's #2 in this regard behind Karlsson?

These philosophical differences are why the Avs were golfing while the Coyotes won the Pacific and went to the conference finals.

I wish I had that slow-mo stick check on Rick Nash. People think Yandle is a one trick pony when he very clearly is not.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Give PHX the option to swap 1sts this year with the Avs and it seems reasonable.
Yandle isn't worth the chance of losing Seth Jones.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Staz would be a good player on any team that didn't have Joe Sacco as a coach. No way Phoenix does this though. There is also no way that we are trading our 1st since that pick will probably land one of Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin.

Last edited by Puckstop40: 04-01-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 02:47 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep, drop four spots, lose a second round pick, eat three million bucks, and turn Stastny into Yandle. Your third center for your new number one D. Also, isn't BPA at 4 guaranteed to be a C? At 8 its likely a D. Doesn't Colorado still have by far the fewest points by D in the NHL? Aren't Duchene and ROR the 1 and 2 Cs of the future?

It's basically Stastny, one of Lindholm(c) or Barkov(c), a 2nd and some bucks for Yandle and one of Nurse(D), Pulock(D), or Zadorov(D). Maybe Shinkaruk(w) or Nichushkin(w) if you prefer.
Still not worth it.

Huge margin of value from 4th overall to 8th overall IMO, and that 2nd is essentially a late first. This draft has 5 top-tier players, and then it drops off. While Yandle would definitely increase our defense, as you said in another post (or another Phoenix fan) that Yandle is best suited as a OFD. The Avs have both Barrie (who has arguably been our best defenseman this year) and Elliot (next 1-2 yrs) as our OFD. While Yandle isn't a defensive liability IMO and still is a top 2 pairing, he doesn't have to carry the defensive role. I don't know how Yandle would be transitioning to be more of a TWD.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:51 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Dude, he's already second in ice time on the team, and we want to ADD PK minutes? Of course he gets a ton of PP time. He's tied for third overall in team scoring, he's 2nd in overall pp points, and first overall in pp goals. This all includes even forwards. Of course you want this guy getting as much pp time and as many offensive zone starts as possible. Especially when you are a struggling Coyotes team that's frequently behind by a goal or more. You aren't going to give him 45mins a night in ice time, are you? You want any given D topping out at 25ish a night, ideally, correct? I think most of us would want Yandle to spend as many of those 25mins a night in the offensive zone and with the man advantage.

You call that "sheltering" and that's fine. I call it trying to convert on opportunities by putting your best converter out there for opportunities. We've got players who specialize in PK and D zone coverage. Let Michalek and Klesla do that. You don't want them on the pp when you are down a goal. You don't want them taking offensive zone starts when you are down a goal. You want Yandle doing what Yandle does.

Kinda makes sense, right?
Well, let's see:

Currently, the top 10 scoring defenseman in the NHL:

Phaneuf - 3 minutes on the PK
Timmonen - 2.7 minutes on the PK
Suter - 2.5 minutes on the PK
Kronwall - 2.5 minutes on the PK
Gonchar - 2.5 minutes on the PK
Letang - 2.3 minutes on the PK
Markov - 2.3 minutes on the PK
Voynov - 2 minutes on the PK
Campbell - 1.7 minutes on the PK
Subban - 1.3 minutes on the PK

8/10 of these guys play more than Yandle does overall, have scored more and have somehow managed to play on the PK.

6/10 of these guys play over 1.5 minutes more than Yandle and that 1.5+ minute difference is directly attributable to their time on the PK. And they've still managed to score more.

The 2 guys on this list who play more than Yandle, but only marginally, are both only 23 years old. And they still score more while having PK duties.

The only guys who play less than Yandle are Gonchar and Timonen - both 38 years old.

As for the other 6 guys ahead of Yandle in the scoring ranks, 5/6 of them play more than Yandle per night. (Shattenkirk plays 27 seconds fewer per game). And 5/6 of them play at least 2 minutes on the PK per night (the exception here is Byfuglien, who plays 34 seconds a night).

Generally: 54 defenseman in the NHL play more than Yandle does. 16 defenseman are scoring at a better rate than Yandle is. 246 defenseman average more PK time than Yandle does. 137 defenseman face tougher quality of competition than Yandle does.

Sorry for the long post, but Yandle has become one of the most overvalued defenseman in the NHL, and its driving me nuts.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:58 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Still not worth it.

Huge margin of value from 4th overall to 8th overall IMO, and that 2nd is essentially a late first. This draft has 5 top-tier players, and then it drops off. While Yandle would definitely increase our defense, as you said in another post (or another Phoenix fan) that Yandle is best suited as a OFD. The Avs have both Barrie (who has arguably been our best defenseman this year) and Elliot (next 1-2 yrs) as our OFD. While Yandle isn't a defensive liability IMO and still is a top 2 pairing, he doesn't have to carry the defensive role. I don't know how Yandle would be transitioning to be more of a TWD.
Stastny just does not carry that much value in such a trade. You're getting a D capable of putting up equivalent points, that is cheaper and signed for longer term. He's also a year younger. I'm not sure the 'value' of trading up from 8 to 4 is enough to cover the difference. Assuming the Avs are at #4 and don't want Barkov or some forward, what about the following; #4 and Stastny for Yandle and your choice of Gormley or Rundblad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

Sorry for the long post, but Yandle has become one of the most overvalued defenseman in the NHL, and its driving me nuts.
You are talking about a season where the Coyotes beat a 40 year old scoreless record set by the Seals. They have been putrid. The PP is embarrassing. Go back and use stats from last year. You cannot devalue a player for not playing PK minutes when he isn't asked to by his team.

Closed Thread