Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 500
Roy is extremely overrated and very soft. Glad we passed on him.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:17 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

I am fine with BM doing nothing.

Top targets have all went to the east, only one can make the finals and thers always a good chance that a team can get ousted.

LA/Van are only teams really to get better in competition with Anaheim, and they are adding to get onto the same level that Ana/Chi is playing. Chicago has only gotten Handzus so far.

Not sure why people think this is the year for Anaheim, they have a window alot larger then these other teams that are buying players.

In terms of space available alot of teams are going this year before having to sell

Pittsburgh - Malkin, Kunitz, Sutter, Dupuis, Orpik, Letang, Fleury all in next couple years including any of the players recently picked up

Chicago - Kane, Toews, Emery, Crawford, Leddy, Saad

LA - Penner, Brown, Richardson, Regerh, Scuderi, Greene, Voynov, Martinez, Ellerby, Muzzin ect. They only have 1 defence signed past next year.

Vancouver have to worry about the Sedins becoming UFA and some prospects.

Anaheim's player they have to worry about is Ryan, who may not even be here contract time. The window for this team is a few years, they don't have to take a rush at it this year.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
derek morris anyone?
Oh yes!

Despite his size (6`0), he`s very physical, blacks shots, plays good on PK and can also play some PP time. Right handed shot.

I looked up and he`s averaging 21:31 this season. He now have 10 assists in 30 games.
I`d figure he`d be a very nice fit with Cam.

But he`s signed through next year for 2.75M. I have hard time believing Bob will go after him.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Montournado
Ultimate Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Roy is extremely overrated and very soft. Glad we passed on him.
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Oh yes!

Despite his size (6`0), he`s very physical, blacks shots, plays good on PK and can also play some PP time. Right handed shot.

I looked up and he`s averaging 21:31 this season. He now have 10 assists in 30 games.
I`d figure he`d be a very nice fit with Cam.

But he`s signed through next year for 2.75M. I have hard time believing Bob will go after him.
I'd love Morris but I don't think Phoenix will give us fair value

Old
04-02-2013, 03:23 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Yeah because GMs just love trading their good players to division rivals they hav to play two more times this week. Niewendyke wasn't about to do us any favors. Plus I'd rather have Holland in that spot. Roy is declining and I don't him as much of an upgrade.

I don't there's a realistic option out there whom will be beter than Holland or Bonino if he ever gets healthy. Over the summer this is an issue that needs to be addressed but there's no fire to put out right now.
Lol please be joking. Roy is a huge upgrade over anyone on our team for the 2C position. Holland is not ready yet, and Bonino is a bottom six center

Old
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 758
I think we should trade Selanne to a contender

Surprised we haven't seen this yet.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post

Werd!

Old
04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Fallenity

I don't see us getting a #2C, unless BM seriously throws the barstool and gets us Ribeiro. But I don't mind, while I'd of course want some upgrade over Holland / Bonino, I like to think that part of being a serious contender is having your prospects step up. We have to start trusting them sooner or later.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
I don't see us getting a #2C, unless BM seriously throws the barstool and gets us Ribeiro. But I don't mind, while I'd of course want some upgrade over Holland / Bonino, I like to think that part of being a serious contender is having your prospects step up. We have to start trusting them sooner or later.
Yea and even then a upgrade might not work.. Despite that one blip what the Ducks have now is working.

You could bring in a 2c, but theres no guarantee their will be chemistry and it could end up worse.

Take Pittsburgh for example, its a stacked lineup with big name players, but bringing in the old guys knocked some young guys out of the lineup. They may not have the same chemistry as others, older bodies can get banged up and tired. You risk disrupting your team by changing to much this late.

Let the kids fight this year, show everyone what they are made of, then when some of these rentals go UFA or other trades open up make a move when the players have all year to gel with the team, rather then 12 games. For all you know by next year you might be glad BM didn't get a 2c because Holland/Bonino could have really stepped up.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
rollingdux

Quote:

Selanne does not approve.

Just wanted to use that.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Just look at this and take from it what you will.

Roy: 30 games 4+18 =22, +3 46.7 FO%, 15 hits, 26 block shots (2nd line)
Holland: 19 games 3+1 =4, +4 44.4 FO% 15 hits, 7 block shots (Split 2nd/4th line)
Bonino: 23 games 5+5=10, -5 46.7 FO% 10 hits, 36 block shots (2nd line)

Mind you Bonino and Holland both centered a second line where the wingers played like duds. Recently its gotten a bit better.

Roy can bring a bit more offense but if Ryan/Selanne played the same way as with Bonino/Holland I don't see any change. Faceoff % is close between the 3, 2 of them are cheaper, younger and will be here longer.

Bonino matches pretty close to him in every category, with less games played. Roy has more points, but if Ryan and Selanne played properly would Bonino have more points the Roy as well.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post

Holland: 19 games 3+1 =4, +4 44.4 FO% 15 hits, 7 block shots (Split 2nd/4th line)

Mind you Bonino and Holland both centered a second line where the wingers played like duds. Recently its gotten a bit better.

Roy can bring a bit more offense but if Ryan/Selanne played the same way as with Bonino/Holland I don't see any change. Faceoff % is close between the 3, 2 of them are cheaper, younger and will be here longer.

Bonino matches pretty close to him in every category, with less games played. Roy has more points, but if Ryan and Selanne played properly would Bonino have more points the Roy as well.
Again, you're ignoring that most of Bonino's offense/success has come from playing on the 4th line. He was pretty bad when he played on the 2nd line with Ryan and Selanne. He is not a top 6 center.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Again, you're ignoring that most of Bonino's offense/success has come from playing on the 4th line. He was pretty bad when he played on the 2nd line with Ryan and Selanne. He is not a top 6 center.
Yes, but Ryan and Selanne were pretty bad.

The second line looked really good the other night with Etem/Holland/Palms

Stick anyone between Ryan and Selanne and they are going to look bad. Got inconsistent and unable to skate on one side, old, no fight and no energy on the other side.

It was a line destined to fail.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:

Not sure if serious but we are a contender.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Lol please be joking. Roy is a huge upgrade over anyone on our team for the 2C position. Holland is not ready yet, and Bonino is a bottom six center
I've watched a lot of hockey this season and every time I caught a Stars game Roy was invisible. He's numbers have been steadily declining and he's small.

I've harped on Holland quite a bit but if he couldn't hack it he wouldn't be here. I'm comfortable with his defensive game and he moves the puck well. Once he stops thinking so much in the offensive zone he'll be solid. Bonino was our power play's secret weapon and it's no coincidence it has dried up since he's been out. That's probably a moot point since he has the plague or has been shot or whatever the hell it is that's keeping him out.

But it just goes back to looking at the reality of the situation: We're 24-7-4. That means we've won over three times as many games as we've lost in regulation. With this roster. I don't know why people feel like we NEED to make an improvement. I mean if somehow a Mike Fisher or Derek Stepan landing in our laps then yeah that's great. But we don't need to give up valuable assets to fix areas that don't need fixing.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Wouldn't mind us getting Streit and pairing him up with Sbisa. Perhaps that could elevate Luca's play. Streit is (was?) also a great asset on the PP. Wonder what we'd have to give up? Give back Isles their 2nd round pick?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

On one hand, I don't think we're like a Pittsburgh or Vancouver and are in any apparent need to go all-in. We have our core locked up long-term, have some very up and coming young players, and cap shouldn't be an issue like it is for other teams. A lot of people liken this year to 06-07, with the great start and elite record, but it feels a lot more like the end of 05-06 to me, where we were a good team that came together but it just wasn't our time yet. Obviously we added a big piece to push us over the top, but our young players blossoming was a big factor too, and that's exactly what happened. Give it a year and I think we'll see guys like Palmieri, Etem and Holland establish themselves as very good players.

On the other hand, with our prospect pool and young players, we've got some very good assets that we can afford to give up, even for rental players. Getzlaf and Perry are locked up for 8 more years, and there's a plethora of talented players to compliment them. Sure, some won't pan out, but some certainly will. If we didn't pick in this first round this year, it wouldn't devastate us, especially since it should be pretty low and that Islanders second pick shouldn't be too long after it. Whether it's for a rental now or maybe in a big deal at the draft to bring in a big need, I'd be all for trading it if it helps the team.

Either way, I won't be choked. If we don't add a center, meh. There isn't much of a market as a buyer, and Holland is starting to play pretty decently. If we do, cool, as long as it isn't at some ridiculous price. Going to be an interesting 24 hours or so, that's for sure.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:

Also Roy has 11 more games, almost half more games than Holland.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Im surprised more HF posters don't have key roles in NHL teams. Considering so well many people can see the future.

Point being, you can't tell me Roy will be 100% improvement for this team, on what base. Will he work under BB systems, will he gel with linemates. Was BM trying for Roy, could he have offered more or did Dallas not want to aid a division rival in a current 3 game stand.

The only thing that is certain is this line up is 24-7-5.

The lineup if Roy was in it is 0-0-0. How do you know how the team would be with a different player.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Im surprised more HF posters don't have key roles in NHL teams. Considering so well many people can see the future.

Point being, you can't tell me Roy will be 100% improvement for this team, on what base. Will he work under BB systems, will he gel with linemates. Was BM trying for Roy, could he have offered more or did Dallas not want to aid a division rival in a current 3 game stand.

The only thing that is certain is this line up is 24-7-5.

The lineup if Roy was in it is 0-0-0. How do you know how the team would be with a different player.
Well, while I'm all for acknowledging chemistry and those factors and not lending oneself to the idea of absolute certainties about such moves... I think that's going a bit far. There's no guarantees anywhere in life, but I do think Roy is established enough as a player to give him every benefit of the doubt to be able to improve this team.

However, I also believe that we don't have a late second round pick and a defenseman similar to Connauton to just match the Canucks' acquiration price. It's anyone's guess who they would have taken instead. But I'm not shocked or devastated Roy ended up elsewhere.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:41 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, while I'm all for acknowledging chemistry and those factors and not lending oneself to the idea of absolute certainties about such moves... I think that's going a bit far. There's no guarantees anywhere in life, but I do think Roy is established enough as a player to give him every benefit of the doubt to be able to improve this team.

However, I also believe that we don't have a late second round pick and a defenseman similar to Connauton to just match the Canucks' acquiration price. It's anyone's guess who they would have taken instead. But I'm not shocked or devastated Roy ended up elsewhere.
Look at Selanne, just doesn't fit really well on this team, doesn't mean he is a bad player though. The slight change from last year to this year has him being nonexistant for many games. So Roy will never be known if it would have helped or hurt, thus the non trade to me is neutral.

I just find it unrealistic for people to say what will happen despite having no games to base it on. If he tanks with canucks people are going to say BM was a genuis not to get him.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Corey Perry*

Clowe to the Rags... I (and I'm sure Bob) wasn't interested though.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

I`d take Clowe. Not sure if for that price though
3d + 6th/7th would be (my) ceiling for him

Old
04-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Well, we'd obviously have to have paid more for San Jose to consider trading him to their rival. And who knows whether he would have waived his NTC for us with NY in the mix.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Clowe has been awful this year.

Can't see Bob doing anything more than minor depth moves today or tomorrow. Seems to be a definite seller's market.

Closed Thread