Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 05:50 AM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
Do you guys still want to keep Ryan after this playoff run? If not, what would it take from the habs?

Our untouchables: PK Subban, Carey Price and Alexander Galchenyuk.

That still leaves a many quality players, centers Plekanec, Eller and Desharnais. Wingers Pacioretty, Bourque and Gallagher. Defenders Markov, Gorges, Emelin. And many other players I didn't name...

05-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Do you guys still want to keep Ryan after this playoff run? If not, what would it take from the habs?

Our untouchables: PK Subban, Carey Price and Alexander Galchenyuk.

That still leaves a many quality players, centers Plekanec, Eller and Desharnais. Wingers Pacioretty, Bourque and Gallagher. Defenders Markov, Gorges, Emelin. And many other players I didn't name...
Ryan and Sbisa or Souray for Subban

Old
05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaheim Ducks View Post
Ryan and Sbisa or Souray for Subban
We've already had our dose of Souray and it was enough...you keep him . Sbisa is still young and has potential, was he that bad this year that you guys want to trade him?

PS: Sorry you guys lost Ducks fans...I was really pulling for you guys, I hope next year is the year you guys can make a really strong push for the cup...I want to see captain Koivu raise that cup, he deserves a ring before he retires.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:59 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I know hindsight is 20/20 but standing pat at the deadline was probably the wrong move. Team sure as hell could have used a defenseman.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I know hindsight is 20/20 but standing pat at the deadline was probably the wrong move. Team sure as hell could have used a defenseman.
What do you mean, we made a huge move we got Lombardi

Old
05-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'd like to see Steckel and Lovejoy re-signed if the prices are reasonable, which I have to assume they would be. I'd keep Lydman if we deal someone.
Dito on all regards (yet again). We've been looking for a 4th line center long enough, and Steckel really fills that role. Given his history with Boudreau, I'd be surprised if he wasn't staying. Don't see him fetching much more as a free agent. Lovejoy was really decent here and made league minimum. Don't see him asking the world to say. The only problem there is that we're a bit crowded there until someone is moved. Which should be Allen rather than Lydman, I agree. If nobody can be moved, Lovejoy might be without a spot due to Vatanen and Lindholm. In that case, I could totally see him leaving, only to be re-acquired half a year later for a 5th round pick after a trade has been worked out lateron...

Quote:
Dvorak played decent as well, if we re-sign Lombardi I might just kill myself.
Don't see much of a "danger" of that happening. He didn't receive much confidence. He'd have to be dirt cheap to get consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I would certainly consider something around Pacioretty.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I would certainly consider something around Pacioretty.
As would I.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
I don't think we have the cap space to sign McDonald or am I wrong?
If Selanne retires, I think we do. Defenitely if Hiller is gone. If McDonald really wants back, the Ducks could have him for below market value. Which isn't very high to begin with given his age, concussion history and a slow season by his standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
McDonald is an option but do they really need an injury prone forward? Also, I would only get him to play with Teemu and if he quits, I wouldn't want him. Koivu should be resigned, no question about it.
He's not really that injury prone. If he can stay away from another concussion he should be as fine as anyone else. And why is it essential that he plays with Teemu? He's been very productive without him. Anyways, my whole "idea" with this is just based on a rumor pre-deadline. Rumors involving Anaheim are usually more accurate than those involving big market teams. If he wants to be here, then I want him too. He would set a fine example for our young players. You can never go wrong with a decent player that loves your city and hockey club.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:09 AM
pesko

I think that Hiller is the better goalie right now, but now is the time to move him. He's entering his final contract year and still has trade value and Andersen is ready for a backup role.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:50 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
I know that this idea is a little off the boards, but why don't we just put Sbisa in the AHL? I know it would be costly as he has a 1-way (IIRC?), but it's not like he's that much of a help on the NHL team either.
After this season, his trade value is probably pretty low, but he still has much potential in him. I think it would be great for him to get down to the A so he can play an important role on the team and get some of the offensive capabilities back that he lost while playing in a mostly defensive role.
I may be a little () biased, but Sbisa doesn't really struck me as a "dumb" player. He seems to be too nervous on the puck, but his hockey IQ has never been a problem over his whole career. Only in the last 1 1/2 years he even seemed to regress a little in that regard.
I say his problem is in his head. But it's not the intelligence that is lacking, moreso his self-esteem.

And here is a small breakdown of the current situation. Please note that these are all based on my opinions AND on my experience. I'm nowhere near an expert and you are free to correct me if you think that I wrote some complete BS.

DEFENSE:

UFAs according to capgeek for next season:
Lydman
Hendry
Lovejoy
Guenin

RFAs according to capgeek for next season:
Clark

Bolded: guys we should retain (IMO) if possible.

The key - Think about the future!

At the moment, we have 4 young PMDs in the system: Fowler, Sbisa, Vatanen, Lindholm

While I see Fowler and Vatanen as the guys for the powerplay and the main "offensive forces", Sbisa and Lindholm could develop into solid 2-way Ds that are able to clear up behind the other two. All four are exceptional skaters and overall there is a good mix of offensive, defensive and physical abilities. The future on the back end is bright with:

Fowler - Sbisa
Vatanen - Lindholm

or

Fowler - Lindholm
Vatanen - Sbisa

Guys we will most likely see playing next season:
Beauchemin
Souray
Fowler
Lydman
Sbisa
Vatanen
Lovejoy
Allen

FORWARDS:

UFAs according to capgeek for next season:
Teemu
Koivu
Lombardi
Steckel
Dvorak

RFAs according to capgeek for next season:
Palmieri
Beleskey

Zolnierczyk

Bolded: guys we should retain (IMO) if possible.

The key - The big guns are loaded... And now?

Luckily, both of Getzlaf and Perry could be retained. Bobby is locked until 2015-2016. That looks great on paper, but especially this season (the regular season in a positive way, the playoffs in a not so positive way) has shown, that the "big names" are not always the gamebreakers.
We will probably lose Teemu as he'll probably retire for the 2'234'345'251st time. Saku stated that he wants to play at the olympics, so I doubt that we will lose him to retirement this offseason. The first line is fine with Getzlaf, Perry and *insert random dude here*. Our third line was fantastic in the regular season, but they struggled against Detroit. The guys on the fourth line have been doing their jobs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Leaves us with a ? on the 2nd line. Even more if Teemu retires.
Fact is: Our 2nd line is still thin. We have following guys that are able to play in the Top6 most of the time:
Getzlaf
Perry
Palmieri
Ryan
Teemu (to some degree)

Regarding the fact that Teemu might retire: There is a problem.
We need to stuff some of these holes. Let's say we ice a top line like this

Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry

and Teemu retires... Our 2nd line looks like this:

Ryan - X - Y

Theoretical options for X are:
Bonino
Holland
(traded player)
(UFA / RFA)

Theoretical options for Y are:
Etem
Holland
(traded player)
(UFA / RFA)

That's just not enough.

The guys we will most likely see plaing next season:
Getzlaf
Perry
Ryan
Palmieri
Etem
Koivu
Cogliano
Bonino
Winnik
Beleskey
Maroon
Steckel

Goaltending
I'll just let this topic be as I'm a little touchy regarding Hiller. Let's just say I'd keep the eyes open for good trading offers, but I wouldn't shop Hiller or Fasth.

The shopping list
- Top pairing D-man
- 2nd line C
- Ev. 2nd line W

Sry for long post btw. It has become a little longer than I thought.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

We have pretty thin space cap-wise to work with in next season. It will be interesting to see how Murray works this out.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Paul4587

Sbisa can't be sent to the AHL w/out clearing waivers which he wouldn't do.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Markus078

To me the Jets might be an ideal trading patner for Bobby. He would be a star player they lack somehow. Scheifle and Trouba will make a push and I doubt they could be on the move. That leafs me to Bogosian + their first rounder 13th overall. I think thats a fair deal. We get a physical good skating, right shooting D to pair with Cam.

I really doubt that we can land a real top pairing D on a good contract. I just see us getting a young player with the potential to become it in a year or two.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Getz2perry

I think we need to trade bobby ryan, and if we can get rid of souray please do so.

Getz Perry (potential fa/trade)Antoine Laganiere is a guy i could see getting a chance in this spot.
Bonino Palmeiri Etem
Rakell Cogliano Winnick
Holland Belesky Maroon
I also wouldnt mind keeping steckel if possible, and he could play 3rd or 4th c if holland or rakell dont seem ready.

Defense:
Fowler + Beauch
Lindholm + Allen
Vatanen + Sbisa
Have lovejoy come in for injuries and what not, get rid of souray asap, that gives us a mobile defense that can pass the puck to our skilled forwards, instead of just icing the puck all game long, id also wouldnt be objected to bringing in a top 4 dmen for ryan.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:27 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

As far as signing Andy McDonald. It's concerning that Blues fans don't want him back. He turns 36 this summer.

A 1 year deal on the cheap would be fine, but anyone expecting him to step in and be a dynamic 2nd line center...those days are over.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
As far as signing Andy McDonald. It's concerning that Blues fans don't want him back. He turns 36 this summer.

A 1 year deal on the cheap would be fine, but anyone expecting him to step in and be a dynamic 2nd line center...those days are over.
They have 7-8 forwards capable of putting up 50+ points already, he has become expendable for them. It was only a year ago he was still quite dynamic, and while he probably wont bounce back to that level, he should still be able to put up 15-20 goals and 30-35 assists (or on that pace pending injuries). He's still a legit top six forward, and if the Ducks can sign him for cheap I'll take my chances.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
To me the Jets might be an ideal trading patner for Bobby. He would be a star player they lack somehow. Scheifle and Trouba will make a push and I doubt they could be on the move. That leafs me to Bogosian + their first rounder 13th overall. I think thats a fair deal. We get a physical good skating, right shooting D to pair with Cam.

I really doubt that we can land a real top pairing D on a good contract. I just see us getting a young player with the potential to become it in a year or two.
Bogosian is a 22 year old top pairing defenseman - no way the Jets trade him, let alone him and a 1st rounder for Bobby. He was their best defenseman this year and is starting to look like the real deal.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
caliamad

While i try to not to be too reactive im also a big believer that when u get so badly outplayed for the most 2 important games if the season, changes must be made.

I would be looking to move bobby Ryan l, sbisa, Allen, and possibly souray.

As far as I'm concerned we need another high caliber 2way center and no one in the organization fits the bill. Bobby and sbisa would be the assets I would try to love to make it happen.

Vancouver will probably be looking to shake things up as well. I would offer bobby sbisa and souray/Allen for Kessler and bieska/hamhuis. The salaries/cap space should be close and I think I line of Kessler and etem would be the foundation for a 2nd line and the defenseman would be a clear upgrade. I'd even consider including holland or a 2nd round pick.

Getz perry palms
Kessler etem tbd
Bonino cogs winnik
Maroon rakkell belesky

Fowler hamhuis/bieska
Beach Allen/souray
Vatanen lovejoy/lindhom

Old
05-13-2013, 10:04 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post

Vancouver will probably be looking to shake things up as well. I would offer bobby sbisa and souray/Allen for Kessler and bieska/hamhuis. The salaries/cap space should be close and I think I line of Kessler and etem would be the foundation for a 2nd line and the defenseman would be a clear upgrade. I'd even consider including holland or a 2nd round pick.
Vancouver fans want Ryan to play on Kesler's wing. This trade will open up a hole at 2nd line center for them.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

I wonder if it's possible to make a deal with Islanders regarding Ryan for Okposo. Islanders would have to add, but Ryan on Tavares' wing should be attractive for them. Etem-Bonino-Okposo could be a great 2nd line with amazing speed on the wings. Okposo also has a good contract ($2.8m through 2016).

Old
05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
LVDucks238

Didn't really know which thread to put all this in, so hopefully this will be fine.*Warning* It's quite an extensive read, but hey, it's my coping mechanism, so here goes nothing.

Overall Season Evaluation

Wow, what an amazing season, even though it didn't end the way any of us would have liked. It's taken me a few hours to process my thoughts, so as not to overreact in the heat of the moment. If you'd have told me, prior to it, the Ducks would finish 2nd in the West, all the while having the best record in franchise history, I'd have said you are off your rocker. Granted, I truly believed we would be a playoff team in the 6-8 range. From day one, this team exemplified what being a team was all about. They showed tons of heart and a never say die attitude that honestly, are stark contrasts to previous years, in which they would, at times, give up games to get even physically, or just plain check out mentally. I think it all started with the phenomenal leadership displayed by Getzlaf. He became this team's heart and soul, and led by example night in, night out. From the start, I questioned if we would have have enough puck moving on the back-end, and I would say that was one of the biggest factors in coming up short against the Wings. Too often, they decided to attempt long stretch passes, as well as rimming it around the boards, causing frequent turnovers and icings. Forwards deserve part of the blame for that though, as they need to provide closer support for them. Most importantly, we flat out weren't ready to start games and periods. The other obvious issue was Perry, Ryan, and Koivu all hitting cold streaks at the most inopportune point of the season. Not much you can do there, outside of write it off as what it was; an unusually bad stretch of games. On the positive side of things; our youth really stepped up their games, all the while gaining valuable experience, much like Getz/Perry/Penner/Kunitz did in '06. I really don't think it's too much of a stretch to think, next year, we could seriously take the next step towards being a serious Cup contender.

Individual Player/Coach Evaluation/Grades

Getzlaf-A+. Matured a lot as a Captain/less complaing and more leading by example. Beast mode almost the whole year. Finally realized how big of a threat his shot can be. Definitely could use some serious work in the dot.

Perry-B-. Didn't have a typical Perry like year, but I don't think it was due to lack of effort. Just some combination of the shortened season/not getting bounces/being a little too fancy. IMO he'll be just fine.

Ryan-C. Honestly believe he was battling some sort of foot/ankle injury for a while. Still didn't get the job done for a majority of the season. Don't want make a knee jerk reaction and trade him for anything less than great value. Still almost a sure thing for 30 goals and 60 points next year.

Selanne-C. He's done being a full time Top 6 player. No other way to put it. His age has caught up to him and he should probably retire.

Bonino/Palmieri/Etem- B+. All admirably filled any roles they role given. All stepped up their games immensely in the playoffs. All deserve spots on next years team.

Winnik/Koivu/Cogliano- A. Great early. Tailed off towards the end. Gritty hardworkers.

Fowler- B+. Improved by leaps and bounds defensively. Generated chances with passing/skating frequently. The points will come. Best D-man against DET.

Beauch- A. Norris calibre season. Great on both ends of the ice. Wasn't great in the playoffs, but not a lot of guys are great going against Dats/Zetts.

Souray/Allen- B Pretty much as expected. Big, slow and physical. Good on the PK and prone to get beat by speedy players. Not good at moving the puck or making quick decisions. Prone to taking bad penalties. Souray was better early and Allen was better at the end into the playoffs.

Sbisa- C-. Same old Sbisa. Wow you one play and make you wonder if he has a brain the next. Can't help but have doubts he'll ever get it togther.

Vatanen- Showed flashes just how good he can be offensively/on the PP. Could be a huge asset to have in the lineup next year. Just needs to learn his limitations as far as defending NHL'ers.

Beleskey/Steckel- A-. Did everything you could want out of guys who should be on the 4th line. Not much else to say.

Hiller- A-. Started out slow as usual. Regained his form and IMO played well enough outside of the 1st period of G2. Not a good puck handler. Still has a tendency to give up the occasional weak goal. I stick with him no matter what, at least til Gibson is ready.

Fasth- B+. Started off blazing hot. Cooled of a bit afterwards. I don't think he's more than a really good back-up. Bad 5-hole coverage. Slow post to post. Most importantly lacks the size of typical modern tenders. He is a battler though. Not really a big enough sample size to get a definitive read on whether he makes Hiller expendable.

Boudreau- A. for the regular season/C- for the playoffs. Got a lot out of the young guys. Juggled lines a bit too much. Did a decent managing the goalies. Got outcoached by a plain better coach in Babcock.

Penalty Kill-C-. Struggled to win faceoffs. Not aggresive enough especially on teams primary threats up high/on the point. Huge factor in losses to Wings.

Power Play-C. Percentage wise they were great. In reality they didn't get it done at the most crucial times in games. Need to be a little more willing to blast away on night with traffic. Tendency to be too fancy. Once again faceoffs were a huge detriment to its success.

Draft
As of right now we own the 26 th pick and could end as high as 24th. Barring us trading up or trading down here are my favorite prospects that could be available when we pick.
1. Ryan Hartman- Smart, safe player. Never hesitates to lay the body. Above average offensive skills. Projection: 2nd/3rd line winger. Comparable: Ryan Callahan.

2. Samuel Morin- 6 foot 7, 203. Physical blueliner. Decent puck mover. Willing to fight. Could use work on his offensive game. Projetion: Top 4 stay at home D. Comparable: Poor mans Zdeno Chara

3. Shea Theodore- Decent size. 6'2 175. Smooth, elusive skater. Good offensive instincts. Good positional defense. Needs to work on his physicality. Projection: Top 4 two-way D. Comparable: Keith Yandle.

Sleeper/Potential Faller. Valery Nichuskin- Elite offensive talent. Power forward. Slick hands. Drives the net. Surprisingly fast. Might fall because he's under contract for 2 more years in the KHL. Projection: Top line winger. Comparable: Rick Nash.
In the 2nd I'd be interested in guys like Erne, Carrier, Petan, Subban, Compher.

Free Agency/Trades
Murray's going to have to work a little magic with Perry/Getz/Fowler's extensions kicking in coupled with the lowering in the cap. Theoretically, after the 2014 season, the cap should start going back up so we should be fine in the long term even with Bobby/Getz/Perry/Fowler signed. Given the depth of the prospect pool I could see a blockbuster, of the Pronger variety, using picks+players, as a possibility, but it's really hard to speculate as to who could be available this early. Biggest need is a #1/2 d-man to play with Fowler.

The trade bait:
Bobby- Most valuable asset we have. Would be idiotic to sell low on a practically guaranteed 30 goal guy. I'd only move him in a package for a legit #1 defenseman or an UPGRADE. AKA not likely to happen.
Preferred deal: to Vancouver for Kesler give or take smaller pieces each way.

Sbisa- Probably the guy most likely to move, when you equate his value to our team's needs.
Preferred deal: to Winnipeg for Jim Slater, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Fasth/Hiller- Personally I'd trade Fasth. Already stated my feelings on this earlier. I'd ride out Hiller's contract with Andersen/Gibson backing up. If neither are ready to start; re-sign Hiller.
Preferred deal- to NYI for Moulson.

Possible buy-outs if we are in a pinch Souray/Allen.

Fact is, unless there is a trade/buyout or Koivu leaves we won't have any money for Free Agency this year.
If we did, the one guy I would be extremely interested in is Heatley, if he is bought out. See if he wants a 1 year deal cheap to prove him self and earn a big contract next year.

Barring any unforseen deals though, this is in all likelihood, what the roster is looking like next year; assuming the following:
Koivu re-signs for 3.8
Lovejoy for 1.1
Palmierifor 1.2
Steckel for 900K
Beleskey for 900K

Etem-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Maroon-Steckel-Beleskey
Staubitz

Beauchemin-Fowler
Souray-Sbisa
Allen-Vatanen
Lovejoy

Hiller
Fasth

That puts us just 800K under the cap.
Definitely going to be an interesting summer, but regardless I have huge hopes for next year's team.

Last edited by LVDucks238: 05-13-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
05-13-2013, 11:22 AM
pesko

Some comments from Teemu after the game as translated from Finnish magazine Urheilulehti:

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko...#ixzz2TBaMtkNT

"I didn't want to think about [end of the season] during the season. In this environment it is completely unrealistic. But when I drove to the arena tonight I thought to myself, is this really it? I hoped that we wouldn't lose tonight."

On how the season went: "Somehow I felt like I had more to give. The second half of the season was tough and recovery was hard. I thought it was tougher than a regular season, even though we had fewer games. I was too proud to rest properly during the season. I rested only in the end and it helped."

On his lower minutes and diminished PP role: "Because of the way the coach played me, I was left with the feeling that I had energy left. If I was given the chance to play enough to feel that I'd given everything on the ice it would be different. I feel like I was left with a little aftertaste."

"But it's the same as usual, I'll give it a rest and then look forward. It's great that I once again have the opportunity to make a decision on my own terms. I know I can play well, much better than this season when under normal circumstances. That's the best part of this."

Last edited by pesko: 05-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old
05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

So he's implying another season because the shortened season made him look worse than under a regular season? Interesting.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Habsncabs2002
Rookie User

First post, but long time reader. I usually post on ModSquad. But I'm curious duck fans anyway you guys would be willing to part Emerson Etem to MTL? I would prefer him over Ryan as per Ottawa suggesting earlier on this thread. Thank you.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 50
I can't see them trading Etem anytime soon after the promise he showed in that series.

Closed Thread