Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For Those With Short Memories

Old
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
ripley

vCash: 500
John Cleese in Clockwise:

'It's not the despair: I can cope with the despair.
It's the HOPE - that's what's killing me.'

ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Awesome Dan. I remember being worred that the Bruins might actually slip out of the playoffs.

Fix the third line, get this team motivated and take it from there.

Btw, are there any other vets out there that haven't won the Cup that could be available?

Doan? Man, imagine how different / motivated this team would look with Doan in the mix.

5.3 until 15/16, but if Chia lets Hortd walk and gets rid of a little dead weight, it could work.

Now, how to convince SD to come to Boston. Maybe he feels sorry for the B's after the fiasco

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Pretty sure this team sucked in February/March last year as well.
Where's the comparison to that timeframe?

People should stop living in the past.
THIS IS NOT 2011!

It's like with th PP-issues.

"Don't worry, out PP sucked in 2011 as well ... don't need to fix it."
Well it shows that "blowing it up" or "rebuilding" isn't always the answer. Every team goes through cold streaks, I'm not too convinced that they should do something earth shattering.

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Just spent the last hour on the phone with DKH

Wish I could have recorded the conversation and posted it here.

All is not lost

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Paddington

The change in vibe that this thread provides is quite refreshing. Thanks DKH. I've been on HF overload with the Iginla fiasco and all the trade talk. I was one who thought Julien needed to go and Thomas got too caught up in the emotions of the playoffs to be successful. I'm glad I was wrong then and I'm hoping something positive happens again this year.

If you're into historical patterns, the Bruins 2nd and 3rd cup wins came 2 years apart. Then the 4th and 5th came 2 years apart. I wouldn't mind 6th and 7th coming 2yrs apart. I still wrestle with the idea of fate but who knows. In 2011 the B's sweapt a 6 game road trip for the first time since '72. Maybe a cup run is written in the stars. Hopefully the cup drought doesn't last as long as the others though.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Thanks Dan, but you have to admit that this team seems to be waiting for a Hail Mary or two.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:36 PM
cat400

Good post DKH.

We all get caught up in the ebbs and flows of the regular season with this year's lockout -fueled season raising the antsy bar higher.

In 1970-71 we sat back in awe and watched as the Bruins demolished the record book in the regular season and were then quickly disposed of by the Dryden monster.

The regular season is a great tune-up for the real season, the play-offs. There are abound to be many ebbs and flows as the teams grind it out and reach for spots in the play-offs.

The goal is to get into the play-offs with the healthiest roster possible and a hot goalie.
Then once the intensity and emotion rise, anything is possible.

The balancing act for Bruins' management and coaches in trying to finish as high as possible is a little more difficult given the brutal schedule of games that the team had / has in March & April: burnout is a reality.

In the past we have seen too many Bruin teams surge down the stretch in search of 1st place and be out of the literal gas when the real games began.

cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Nice post Dan - this is a tough stretch of play no doubt but the team can turn it around and be a playoff threat.

TMac21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
caz16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandNoseBest View Post
You mean last year as in the year where they lost in OT in game 7 of the 1st round as opposed to winning in OT of game 7 in the 1st round?

I guess you missed the part where DKH said it's no guarantee for playoff success. And he's exactly right, because as the last 2 year's show, you not only need to be good but you need to be lucky in the NHL playoffs. ONE bounce is the difference between the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup and being eliminated in the 1st round and people calling for Julien's head as well as probably even Chiarelli's. Likewise, Bergeron doesn't miss an empty net in OT and who knows how far we go last year.

But if you want to pretend like 2011's team was so unbeatable and they've dropped off so much...go for it.
This is true. Great post.

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
bruinmann77

Sorry but have no faith this team can do what that team did. They are missing some very important pieces. I also never believed in comparing the past to the present.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:53 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

All is not lost
Does this mean moves are coming?

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77 View Post
Sorry but have no faith this team can do what that team did. They are missing some very important pieces. I also never believed in comparing the past to the present.
I agree but I had no faith in that team either doing what that team did; the first time in 2011 I really had faith in that team was after game 4 vs Vancouver

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
HumBucker

Hear hear! I have faith that if there are players to get at the deadline that will help this team, PC will get them if they're gettable. He's got a very good record on the trade front.

In a short, intense season, somehow I doubt the teams that tear up the league all season long will also tear through the playoffs. Rarely seems to work that way. Maybe having a slump and then regaining your mojo before the POs is as good an equation to playoff success an any, rather than playing at a high level all season long and then having less in the tank for the post-season grind.

We'll be getting Kelly and McQuade back, plus whatever other additions are made on D, and we'll see what Dogman does - maybe he's the key 3rd line piece - plus maybe Soderberg comes over and adds some offensive punch.

Overall, though, it's about our best players playing better. Is that easier or harder to accomplish than adding/replacing players? I guess we'll see, but I think they can play better and I think they will.

Maybe Easter weekend is the time for the Bruins' resurrection?

Having said that, I'd like to see some line shakeups for more than one period.

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:11 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
Thanks Dan, but you have to admit that this team seems to be waiting for a Hail Mary or two.
I do but they may get answered not just sure the time frames on them- probablly spread out a bit

Old
03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I wonder how many times the Bruins looked lackluster during the course of the regular season only to NOT win a Stanley Cup.

Im just being a dick and Im not as worried as some. But Im also not a fan of this idea of negative being positive evidence either. I happen to think that the team geared down in March due to the busy schedule.

But I also believe that we require some GENUINE additions if we are going to compete in the post-season. Without that, were sunk.

Well see what happens.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Topshelf88

Quote:

All is not lost
Can you guys conference me in next time?

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Mione134
Queen in the North

Great thread.

The only thing I wish this team would do is fix the pp because its embarssing as a fan to see it doing the same plays for the past 3 almost 4 years. Cant we call Savvy to come in a talk some plays? Call in Boucher to help?

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Wasn't panicking, and never have been. They continue to collect points and will finish as either the 2 seed or the 4/5 seed. They killed everyone in the regular season in 2009 and got stunned in round two. They struggled through the regular season in 2010 and we know what happened against the Flyers.

Make the playoffs and then we'll see. Everything else in the meantime is purely for entertainment's sake IMO.

03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
patty59

Quote:

All is not lost
Ya, but how much of it was about food?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ya, but how much of it was about food?
With Dan at least half of it was about the Red Sox.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:16 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Can you guys conference me in next time?
we dont always talk hockey- I mean with both have kids and there are other things....funny but some of the people I have met here we can talk on the phone or go out and never talk hockey

however, yes we did talk a lot- I been with him and had these strange folks come over only to be introduced to 'this guy is the head scout of St Louis....this guy is so and so from Toronto' so when you hit as many rinks around that area you have some good sources.

I know some go after Dom, some Haggs, Kirk not so much, Dupont ye....I know them all to some degree some very good and I readily admit I am just a fan and nothing more- Dom knows the OHL scene amazing- been with him, its a joke how many folks that either work there, go to games as fans, or are there for a reason related to watching the players in their profession say hi to him.

Haggs can piss folks off but I personally have CSNNE as an app because the Bruins, Red Sox (McAdam- big Bruins fan local kid from Chelmsford), and Pats (Curran) all have great blogs on that site. I have friends over at the Garden (not sources) so I can get in early to games or to other stuff and I see the big lug Haggs in there and have seen him yapping with Chia (maybe its about food for all I know) or Benning or Sweeney- but I think the guy has real good contacts; he's usually solo. I really do- and like I said love the Morning Skate blog

Kirk- he's forgotten more than I'll ever know and I'm finding out more and more Kirk is got a bit more stuff rattling up there hockey wise than prospect stuff. This guy is every bit as good and probably better as Mel Kiper in football. He has passion you can not conjure up for the game and he can write- he listens (unlike me) and they respect him.

Dupont- I have known him awhile and he can drive me nuts especially with the take fighting out, but he's a very good man, a great writer even if I disagree- he can really tell a story, and has cultivated some relationships over the years that come in quite handy. There is one he has that is just epic about the Kessel trade I love.

anyways, I dont want to be mistaken for anything more than someone who posts here who can be obnoxious at times but those guys have the knowledge and I just have an opinion like all of us (I wish you all could be with me and Kirk when we see each other because Kirk loves it how I can change my opinion so fast- but I tell him, thats because I read something from you, and he just gives me the **** eating grin and shakes his head. I have to be nice to Kirk my daughter loves him)

Old
03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
bruinmann77

Well I hope your right here right now the faith is not there.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77 View Post
Well I hope your right here right now the faith is not there.
Then why bother?

This isn't meant as snark; I'm curious as to why someone would be a fan of a sports team and not have faith. Isn't faith what fandom is all about?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:01 PM
bruinmann77

faith is all good but also being realistic is being a fan. Hell ya been a bruin fan my whole life. so i also wish for a cup but watching this team makes me wonder if this team has it.Wins and losses that what really matters to fans and championships. no offense

Old
03-31-2013, 11:15 PM
RussellmaniaKW

I found it kind of funny as I watched the game and Jack was tweeting about the lack of effort again, etc. and I was thinking "they actually are playing a pretty good game". Hopefully Jack reads this thread too.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote