HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

New contract values under next years cap

Old
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
New contract values under next years cap

Just wondering what the values of new contracts will be under next years reduced salary cap. This years salary cap was $70.2m I believe and next years is reducing to $64.3m which is a decrease of 8.404%. So for example someone like David Clarkson who is currently on $2,666,667m and is a UFA at the end of the season would expect to be around $2,441,600m if he was to use the same amount of cap as he currently is.

So, can we expect a lot of players have this reduction in salaries/cap hit or will we see teams just opt to let players go that are more expensive (Obviously potentially causing them to take lower elsewhere) rather than sign current players to less.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Zonk

vCash: 500
The Subban contract may be an example of what we will see. The contract value that will drop the most will be the bridge contract between and ELC and a UFA.

This makes sense. I could never understand why GM's treated players coming off of their first contract as unrestricted free agents, when they did not have to.

Zonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
SI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The Subban contract may be an example of what we will see. The contract value that will drop the most will be the bridge contract between and ELC and a UFA.

This makes sense. I could never understand why GM's treated players coming off of their first contract as unrestricted free agents, when they did not have to.
because you get High Character guys like ROR who will hold out and hurt your team...

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
players that people like will get raises.

filler players will get screwed.

same as any year.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
TOGuy14

Stars will still get paid, I think the bottom guys will get pinched.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2000
I could see the RFA camps prefering a 2 year bridge deal, to let the cap get back up to around 70 million, before asking for the higher dollar contracts. But long term "safety net" type deals seem to be the go-to in today's game. Will agents convince their players to take the risk on 2 year deals?

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I could see the RFA camps prefering a 2 year bridge deal, to let the cap get back up to around 70 million, before asking for the higher dollar contracts. But long term "safety net" type deals seem to be the go-to in today's game. Will agents convince their players to take the risk on 2 year deals?
I wouldn't say they'd be convincing them, but I think it will be viewed pretty favourably by the players camp.

If the cap grows by 5% annually (it averaged almost 7.5% annually last CBA) then the cap will be only just over $66m going into the 2015/16 season. But with the rumours that Phoenix could be on the move as early as this summer, then it is safe to assume it will be a good bit higher than that.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote