HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
So much jam jam grind on this team. If Torts pulled his head out of his ass, he could really fit this team.

And I realized I forgot Stastny.

Parise(A)-Stastny-Kane
Ryan-Stepan-Kessel
Pacioretty-Kesler-Pominville/Pavelski
Brown-Backes-Callahan(C)
Kreider-Galchenyuk-Wheeler

Suter(A)-Faulk
McDonagh-Yandle
J. Johnson-Shattenkirk
Byfuglien

Quick
Anderson
Howard
Kreider over Oshie is hysterical. Kreider comes nowhere near the discussion to make the team until he puts together a solid full NHL season. He only has 1 and a 1/2 seasons to play his way onto the team. It's not happening. Even then, they'd easily take guys like Malone over him if push came to shove.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
it is Miller's job to lose and as much as Quick and Anderson have played out of their mind, Miller was our golden boy in 2010, just 4 years ago...this is his job to lose plain and simple.
Yeah, I would not be surprised if Miller's starting the tournament.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kherron View Post
Actually Stepan played in the WC a couple years back with Wheeler on his wing and led US scoring. He's played for the US twice internationally and led the team in scoring both times
I stand corrected. It was completely omitted on his eliteprospects profile.

Even then, his one WJC and one WC. Compared to Stastny's three WC, 4 years of NHL experience over Stepan, and he was the top line center on USA in 2010 (if you considered Parise-Statsny-Langenbrunner the top line). Regardless, he played top six minutes there.

I was just pointing out it's outlandish to put Stepan ahead of Statsny on the team in 2014 and completely omit Statsny. Stepan has a chance to make the team, but not at the expense of Statsny, maybe he will battle it out with him for a spot if he continues to progress though.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I stand corrected. It was completely omitted on his eliteprospects profile.

Even then, his one WJC and one WC. Compared to Stastny's three WC, 4 years of NHL experience over Stepan, and he was the top line center on USA in 2010 (if you considered Parise-Statsny-Langenbrunner the top line). Regardless, he played top six minutes there.

I was just pointing out it's outlandish to put Stepan ahead of Statsny on the team in 2014 and completely omit Statsny. Stepan has a chance to make the team, but not at the expense of Statsny, maybe he will battle it out with him for a spot if he continues to progress though.
I think both are going. Stastny is our only left-handed draw guy, coupled with his play in a US jersey he is on the team. They can bring Stepan and slide Pavelski out to the Wing. But it gives them five center options, both guys can play the point and both guys are tremendous on the PK.

Kesler
Stastny
Backes
Stepan
Pavelski

should all be on this team. It gives them great flexibility, we need to figure out a way to get more left handed shots on this team though, we are far too right hand dominate. It will be unusual to matchup with though, you don't run across too many teams if any that are going to boast that so it will be highly unusual for the teams that have to play us.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I think both are going. Stastny is our only left-handed draw guy, coupled with his play in a US jersey he is on the team. They can bring Stepan and slide Pavelski out to the Wing. But it gives them five center options, both guys can play the point and both guys are tremendous on the PK.

Kesler
Stastny
Backes
Stepan
Pavelski

should all be on this team. It gives them great flexibility, we need to figure out a way to get more left handed shots on this team though, we are far too right hand dominate. It will be unusual to matchup with though, you don't run across too many teams if any that are going to boast that so it will be highly unusual for the teams that have to play us.
How many are righties in the proposed line-up....

Kessel-Kesler-Kane
Parise-Statsny-Ryan
Pavelski-Stepan-xxxxx
Brown-Backes-Callahan

I'm not too good with this, but by memory, Kane, Parise, Statsny, Pavelski, and Backes are the only lefties.

On a side note, I find it so odd that there are so many lefties in the NHL. Whenever I play hockey, the vast majority of kids are righties like 9 out of 10. Yet lefties dominate the NHL, it's something I've never understood.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
The Duck Knight
YOU CAN'T WIN HERE

^Pavelski and Backes are right handed. Pacioretty is the only other leftie forward that comes to mind, who has a shot.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
^Pavelski and Backes are right handed. Pacioretty is the only other leftie forward that comes to mind, who has a shot.
So Kane, Parise, and Statsny are the only lefties? Wow.

I didn't realize that. I'd have to think that really helps Paccioretty's and JVR's chances to make the team. As well as Galchenyuk if he makes a huge leap forward.

I just realized Oshie was a righty as well...

Old
05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Not that it's a big deal, but thought it was interesting to see the change in world rankings that just came out. Before, our group was Russia (1), Slovakia (6), USA (7), and Slovenia (18). Now it's Russia (3), USA (6), Slovakia (7), Slovenia (17).

It's a tough group for sure, but definitely doable. If the grouping had been made this year we would have drawn Sweden and Switzerland instead of Russia and Slovakia.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Jtown

Brown Kesler Kane
JVR Statsny Kessel
Parise Backes Ryan
Callahan Stepan Oshie

Suter - Mcdonough - 30 min a game
Yandle- Jack Johnson
Eric Johnson Shattenkirk

Quick

Old
05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Brown Kesler Kane
JVR Statsny Kessel
Parise Backes Ryan
Callahan Stepan Oshie

Yandle- Jack Johnson
Eric Johnson Shattenkirk

Quick
EJ over Byfuglien, Faulk, Bogosian? Parise > JVR, Brown and Pavelski > JVR

Old
05-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Brown Kesler Kane
JVR Statsny Kessel
Parise Backes Ryan
Callahan Stepan Oshie

Yandle- Jack Johnson
Eric Johnson Shattenkirk

Quick
No Pacioretty?

Not really a big fan of bringing EJ at this point, there are better options on the back end. Oshie's game will suffer on the bigger ice, I think he has a shot to make the team, but is one of those guys who will have to have a nice start to next year and beat a couple of guys out.

Last edited by Herby: 05-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old
05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
651*

Quote:
On a side note, I find it so odd that there are so many lefties in the NHL. Whenever I play hockey, the vast majority of kids are righties like 9 out of 10. Yet lefties dominate the NHL, it's something I've never understood.
I think so. I played hockey lefty, batted righty in baseball and now golf righty (this is only because I could never find lefty clubs - or I would be scratch today! lol )

Old
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Most Americans are right handed hockey players because we learn to play baseball first, and in baseball your dominant hand is used differently, thus when you pick up a hockey stick you will be more comfortable with your dominant hand on the bottom, where most Canadian and European players use their dominant hand on top of the stick.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Brown Kesler Kane
JVR Statsny Kessel
Parise Backes Ryan
Callahan Stepan Oshie

Yandle- Jack Johnson
Eric Johnson Shattenkirk

Quick
JVR > Brown or Pacioretty?

Old
05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
aemoreira1981

On goalies...has John Gibson at least played his way into being a third goalie for the USA squad given his bronze-winning performance in the worlds?

Old
05-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
On goalies...has John Gibson at least played his way into being a third goalie for the USA squad given his bronze-winning performance in the worlds?
Not really. His competition for the Worlds team was a part time NHL goalie. We have five elite NHL goalies in the pool.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
651*

Parise-Kesler-Pavelski or Ryan
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Pavelski or Ryan or Oshie-Stastny-Kane
Kessel or Wheeler-Stepan-Byfuglien (the MN line - lol)

Suter-McDonough
J. Johnson-E.Johnson
Leddy-Martin
Yandle-Shattenkirk

Goalie doesn't matter. We are set there and any of our top five goalies is going to be the best.

I think we are just missing that ONE, super duper superstar to really make this roster one seriously legendary team. It's too bad we Americans don't have just that one guy that can stand year in and year out next to the likes of Sydney and Ovy or even Stamkos. Nevertheless we have some serious heat coming with our talent, and clearly some of the foremost elite goaltenders, bar none.

Last edited by 651*: 05-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 02:06 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Taking a stab at this after a lot of thought...

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Pavelski - Kessel
Brown - Backes - Callahan
Pacioretty - Stastny - Pominville
Stepan, Oshie

My top priority on the top six was to break up what I think are our two elite offensive talents (Kane, Kessel). Both are listed as RW, so that's not hard. Kesler is a monster when healthy, and plays with his heart on his sleeve with the US, making him the best 1C choice. I almost dropped Bobby Ryan down, but it's hard to envision him on the fourth line. Maybe he switches with Pacioretty though. I salivate over a Brown, Backes, Callahan line - as they are our ultimate shutdown line that can contribute offensively. They shouldn't be any higher than this, as watching them in the playoffs, they haven't created much offensively. This is their ideal role on a stacked team. My fourth line here is filled with guys that can play top six, but didn't necessarily have a place, including the always underrated Pominville. Just personal preference here. Stepan and Oshie deserve a role, but I can't see where.

Suter - McDonagh
Carlson - Faulk
J. Johnson - Martin
Yandle, Shattenkirk, Byfuglien

The first pair is a no brainer, and will play monster minutes. Admittedly, the rest are a complete crap shoot to me. Carlson and Faulk is a young pairing that I'm not entirely comfortable with, but both have played big roles for the US in the past. Can't see Jack Johnson not being here. I want to include all the d-men on this list, and there's still more that can be included. I want Byfuglien there as a secret weapon (especially if a Luongo-led Canada squad comes a knockin').

Quick
Miller
Anderson

No brainer here either. Quick has to be the guy, but if he stumbles for some reason, toss Miller in and hope for the 2010 magic to return.

PP1:

Kessel - Callahan - Kane
Kesler - Suter

Load it up. Callahan parks in front of the net and two elite wingers get it there. Kesler is great on the point, and Suter is a top option for the one d-man set.

PP2:

Parise - Pavelski - Pominville/Pacioretty
Byfuglien - J. Johnson

This is why I want Byfuglien. He's awesome to watch on the power play. Even if he has to play up front, I'd like to see it. Pominville has experience playing the point if we want another 4 F set. I've seen Pavelski with some nice deflections on the PP and is a good option.

Thoughts?

Old
05-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Most Americans are right handed hockey players because we learn to play baseball first, and in baseball your dominant hand is used differently, thus when you pick up a hockey stick you will be more comfortable with your dominant hand on the bottom, where most Canadian and European players use their dominant hand on top of the stick.
That makes a lot of sense then, never thought about it that way

Old
05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
it is Miller's job to lose and as much as Quick and Anderson have played out of their mind, Miller was our golden boy in 2010, just 4 years ago...this is his job to lose plain and simple.
The way I see it...you ride the hot hand. Whoever is playing the best entering the tournament should start. If Miller has another Vezina-calibur start to his season, then he's the guy...but if it's Quick, Schneider, Howard, or Anderson then they should be the guy in the pipes.

Brodeur was Canada's golden boy for quite some time, but the change to Luongo helped them last time around. We should not be beholden to any one guy.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Parise-Kesler-Pavelski or Ryan
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Pavelski or Ryan or Oshie-Stastny-Kane
Kessel or Wheeler-Stepan-Byfuglien (the MN line - lol)

Suter-McDonough
J. Johnson-E.Johnson
Leddy-Martin
Yandle-Shattenkirk

Goalie doesn't matter. We are set there and any of our top five goalies is going to be the best.

I think we are just missing that ONE, super duper superstar to really make this roster one seriously legendary team. It's too bad we Americans don't have just that one guy that can stand year in and year out next to the likes of Sydney and Ovy or even Stamkos. Nevertheless we have some serious heat coming with our talent, and clearly some of the foremost elite goaltenders, bar none.
Fowler will be in that line-up before Leddy is.

05-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Hockeycast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Taking a stab at this after a lot of thought...

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Pavelski - Kessel
Brown - Backes - Callahan
Pacioretty - Stastny - Pominville
Stepan, Oshie

My top priority on the top six was to break up what I think are our two elite offensive talents (Kane, Kessel). Both are listed as RW, so that's not hard. Kesler is a monster when healthy, and plays with his heart on his sleeve with the US, making him the best 1C choice. I almost dropped Bobby Ryan down, but it's hard to envision him on the fourth line. Maybe he switches with Pacioretty though. I salivate over a Brown, Backes, Callahan line - as they are our ultimate shutdown line that can contribute offensively. They shouldn't be any higher than this, as watching them in the playoffs, they haven't created much offensively. This is their ideal role on a stacked team. My fourth line here is filled with guys that can play top six, but didn't necessarily have a place, including the always underrated Pominville. Just personal preference here. Stepan and Oshie deserve a role, but I can't see where.

Suter - McDonagh
Carlson - Faulk
J. Johnson - Martin
Yandle, Shattenkirk, Byfuglien

The first pair is a no brainer, and will play monster minutes. Admittedly, the rest are a complete crap shoot to me. Carlson and Faulk is a young pairing that I'm not entirely comfortable with, but both have played big roles for the US in the past. Can't see Jack Johnson not being here. I want to include all the d-men on this list, and there's still more that can be included. I want Byfuglien there as a secret weapon (especially if a Luongo-led Canada squad comes a knockin').

Quick
Miller
Anderson

No brainer here either. Quick has to be the guy, but if he stumbles for some reason, toss Miller in and hope for the 2010 magic to return.

PP1:

Kessel - Callahan - Kane
Kesler - Suter

Load it up. Callahan parks in front of the net and two elite wingers get it there. Kesler is great on the point, and Suter is a top option for the one d-man set.

PP2:

Parise - Pavelski - Pominville/Pacioretty
Byfuglien - J. Johnson

This is why I want Byfuglien. He's awesome to watch on the power play. Even if he has to play up front, I'd like to see it. Pominville has experience playing the point if we want another 4 F set. I've seen Pavelski with some nice deflections on the PP and is a good option.

Thoughts?
I really think this makes a lot of sense, i like it.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The way I see it...you ride the hot hand. Whoever is playing the best entering the tournament should start. If Miller has another Vezina-calibur start to his season, then he's the guy...but if it's Quick, Schneider, Howard, or Anderson then they should be the guy in the pipes.

Brodeur was Canada's golden boy for quite some time, but the change to Luongo helped them last time around. We should not be beholden to any one guy.
I agree with that in a sense, but you also have to remember who did what for you wearing a USA jersey for prior battles.

If Miller plays **** poor next year to start the year than this discussion is null and void. I am merely saying if Miller is playing at a 2009-11 level, I simply find it hard to believe they would go with anybody else to start this tourney regardless of their NHL numbers.

Miller has to show up and be a top goalie, but if he is having a solid year, he starts over Quick, Anderson, Schneider, Thomas, etc regardless if their numbers are other worldly.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Okposo if he continues he playoff type play >>Stepan, Pacioretty, and Wheeler.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Stepan is in contention to make the team, but not over Statsny, especially because of his prior experience and Statsny's performance on the big ice for the last couple weeks. Add to that that Stepan is inexperienced with USA Hockey outside of the WJCs a couple years ago. Also the four centers (Kesler, Statsny, Backes, and Pavelski were all on the team in 2010 so it'll be hard to see them not make it this time around when they are all just as good if not better. Stepan has to be that much better than them to get playing time.

He'd need to make a huge step forward while Statsny takes a huge leap back for him to play over him. He may come as the fifth center though with the potential to play his way onto the team.
Stepan was USA's leading scorer in WC 2011 for USA.

Leading scorer WJC U20.

He's also a better player than Stastny now.

Closed Thread