HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
HenriquesJawLine

vCash: 500
I love Ryan Carter on the Devils 4th line but I can't believe he was mentioned in this thread

Old
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Sadly 2006 was the worst team ever assembled. Does say how far the development has come though since then!
My friend and I one day were bored and started looking up the Olympic rosters from that tournament. He is Canadian and we had a good chuckle reading off the names of our team. It wasn't hard to see why we both finished 7th and 8th or whatever the official ranking was.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:43 AM
651*

They might be a team that doesn't come with lumber. JMO. Not sayin' that, but you never know. We'll challenge for medals....

Old
07-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
My friend and I one day were bored and started looking up the Olympic rosters from that tournament. He is Canadian and we had a good chuckle reading off the names of our team. It wasn't hard to see why we both finished 7th and 8th or whatever the official ranking was.
2006 Olympic Games or otherwise known in Canada by the term "The Friends of Gretzky Tour". Coming off the 2002 Olympic Gold and the 2004 World Cup victory (2004 v 2006 teams almost identical)coupled with a dash of Gretzky arrogance (who felt he was the 2nd coming of Sam Pollock) and the wish to rehabilitate Bertuzzi's career = Torino fiasco.

To your earlier post about team construction. I think Steve Yzerman remembers it will and won't repeat the mistakes of Torino... although the arrogance and stubbornness at Hockey Canada goes as deep as the Antarctic ice sheet...so I won't be surprised at anything they come up with. And Canadians swallow it hook, line and sinker... over and over again I see comments like "he was great 2010 lets do that again..." even if said player has dogged it for 3 consecutive seasons.

Oh and as a sidebar. between our 2 teams, the most turnover from the 2010 Vancouver teams will be Canada with 10-12 new players. And what sorts of players are those? What will be the turnover for the team representing the Stars and Stripes? 6-8? What sorts of players are those? There's no doubt in my mind that Team Canada in 2014 is significantly better than the 2010 team (depending on team selection of course) With the prospective new players on Team USA, how significantly better is team USA? somewhat better...but not to the extent of Team Canada...

but we shall see... still hoping for an all north-american affair in the gold medal game come Fed. 2014.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 07-08-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
2006 Olympic Games or otherwise known in Canada by the term "The Friends of Gretzky Tour". Coming off the 2002 Olympic Gold and the 2004 World Cup victory (2004 v 2006 teams almost identical)coupled with a dash of Gretzky arrogance (who felt he was the 2nd coming of Sam Pollock) and the wish to rehabilitate Bertuzzi's career = Torino fiasco.

To your earlier post about team construction. I think Steve Yzerman remembers it will and won't repeat the mistakes of Torino... although the arrogance and stubbornness at Hockey Canada goes as deep as the Antarctic ice sheet...so I won't be surprised at anything they come up with. And Canadians swallow it hook, line and sinker... over and over again I see comments like "he was great 2010 lets do that again..." even if said player has dogged it for 3 consecutive seasons.

Oh and as a sidebar. between our 2 teams, the most turnover from the 2010 Vancouver teams will be Canada with 10-12 new players. And what sorts of players are those? What will be the turnover for the team representing the Stars and Stripes? 6-8? What sorts of players are those? There's no doubt in my mind that Team Canada in 2014 is significantly better than the 2010 team (depending on team selection of course) With the prospective new players on Team USA, how significantly better is team USA? somewhat better...but not to the extent of Team Canada...

but we shall see... still hoping for an all north-american affair in the gold medal game come Fed. 2014.
There will be some turnover. Here's the list of players I don't see returning and their replacements (plus remember you can add two more roster players this time):

* Tim Thomas-replaced by Craig Anderson/Jimmy Howard/Cory Schneider
* Tim Gleason-replaced by Ryan McDonagh
* Brooks Orpik-replaced by Zach Bogosian
* Ryan Whitney-replaced by Keith Yandle
* Brian Rafalski-replaced by Justin Faulk
* Chris Drury-replaced by TJ Oshie
* Jamie Jangenbrunner-replaced by Blake Wheeler
* Ryan Malone-replaced by Max Pacioretty

I think you can add some mix of Galchenyuk, JVR and Shattenkirk to the team as well.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 07-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Team USA is basically going to be the same team, not player wise, but style wise, that it was last go around. We will have big players who can skate with a decent level of skill and who are committed to the team's plans. I see some level of upgrades at a couple of positions but it isn't like the complete overhaul that the team went through from 2006 to 2010.

As we all know, it's a one game knockout tournament. Anything can happen in any game.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
There will be some turnover. Here's the list of players I don't see returning and their replacements (plus remember you can add two more roster players this time):

* Tim Thomas-replaced by Craig Anderson/Jimmy Howard/Cory Schneider
* Tim Gleason-replaced by Ryan McDonagh
* Brooks Orpik-replaced by Zach Bogosian
* Ryan Whitney-replaced by Keith Yandle
* Brian Rafalski-replaced by Justin Faulk
* Chris Drury-replaced by TJ Oshie
* Jamie Jangenbrunner-replaced by Blake Wheeler
* Ryan Malone-replaced by Max Pacioretty

I think you can add some mix of Galchenyu, JVR and Shattenkirk to the team as well.

I'd call Ryan McDonagh a major upgrade, Bogosian a slight downgrade, Yandle an upgrade on a gimpy Whitney, Faulk a downgrade on an excellent Rafalski and Pacioretty a big upgrade over Malone.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Bawston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.
Canada, as always. There's a rivalry between the countries so the competition is going to be huge. Canada vs USA and Russia vs Sweden are always the most entertaining games to watch in my opinion.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I will never get tired of watching Miracle...thank you Starz and Encore for constantly playing this movie the past few months..my kids know every line it already! and I must say damn did Kurt Russell play Herb to a T!!

Old
07-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Team USA is basically going to be the same team, not player wise, but style wise, that it was last go around. We will have big players who can skate with a decent level of skill and who are committed to the team's plans. I see some level of upgrades at a couple of positions but it isn't like the complete overhaul that the team went through from 2006 to 2010.

As we all know, it's a one game knockout tournament. Anything can happen in any game.
I think Rabid Ranger proved my point, turnover for Team USA 6-8 players and basically Team USA is somewhat improved from the 2010 team.

Yes, I know it is a 1 game elimination (this isn't my first rodeo) and anything can happen.

BTW when are these 2 sides going to play a best 4 out of 7 series...smack down, drag em out, bare knuckles, in the ally, I'm putting on the foil coach, to the death kind of series? I think it's high time that sort of event happen. Forget the rebirth of the world cup...yawn. I'd prefer Team Canada v Team USA in a best of 7 event. I've been pushing that agenda for years.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
@ChrisKuc

Former #Blackhawks defenseman Chris Chelios when asked which team he most identifies with from his career: "USA."
Now, it's obviously a very smart answer, but this should be mandatory reading for any player that ever wears a Team USA jersey.

07-09-2013, 05:30 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Now, it's obviously a very smart answer, but this should be mandatory reading for any player that ever wears a Team USA jersey.
Wow what a great answer. Hope that's the mentality for all the players selected to the Olympic team this year

Old
07-09-2013, 09:15 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I think Rabid Ranger proved my point, turnover for Team USA 6-8 players and basically Team USA is somewhat improved from the 2010 team.

Yes, I know it is a 1 game elimination (this isn't my first rodeo) and anything can happen.

BTW when are these 2 sides going to play a best 4 out of 7 series...smack down, drag em out, bare knuckles, in the ally, I'm putting on the foil coach, to the death kind of series? I think it's high time that sort of event happen. Forget the rebirth of the world cup...yawn. I'd prefer Team Canada v Team USA in a best of 7 event. I've been pushing that agenda for years.
you certainly underrate the USA additions...but its all good as everyone underrated the US in 2010 and the same seems to be happening here.

for your last point, I would love a Summit Series scenario between Canada and the US, I just don't think Hockey Canada wants to see its team get bounced around like rag dolls and dropped in 5 games.. just saying.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
AuraSphere

How are you guys forgetting about Bobby Ryan lol, he's most def making the team

Old
07-10-2013, 02:05 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
How are you guys forgetting about Bobby Ryan lol, he's most def making the team
Never for a second did I question. He's an automatic in my book.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:12 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Pretty gross to see people having Carter, and Pommers over Bobby Ryan... Lol eww stop it. He's better than Pacioretty too lol with Olympic experience double ew. Alot of personal Bias in this. I'm a Sabres fan, I will tell you first hand keep SoftVille away from this Olympic team..... Defense is gonna be a war... I can tell you that.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you certainly underrate the USA additions...but its all good as everyone underrated the US in 2010 and the same seems to be happening here.

for your last point, I would love a Summit Series scenario between Canada and the US, I just don't think Hockey Canada wants to see its team get bounced around like rag dolls and dropped in 5 games.. just saying.
I don't think I'm underrating the additions at all, but a fair, reasonable and objective assessment of the additions given my 30+ years of experience in the game. I think the U.S. will be a stronger team than 2010, but not significantly stronger.

As to YOUR 2nd point: Seinfeld, is that you? I didn't know Jerry Seinfeld was a hockey fan! Mr. funny man always the comedian...stop with the jokes! Tell George to stop by any time.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:34 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Derek Stepan - Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty - Paul Stastny - Joe Pavelski
Dustin Brown - David Backes - Ryan Callahan

That's my guess for forwards.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Let me rephrase that to sound less pedantic and snobbish. The US will, just like last year, have sufficient quality to compete with Canada and probably beat them about 4 out of 10 times, even in spite of any improvement's that Canada's going to have. Will Canada have more talent? Of course, but the US will be plenty good enough to beat them. Canada haven't added enough talent to push themselves far off into the distance of being a heavy favorite against the US. That's what I was trying to get at.

As for a best of seven. No duh, that'd BE FREAKIN AWESOME!!

Old
07-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

Old
07-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Let me rephrase that to sound less pedantic and snobbish. The US will, just like last year, have sufficient quality to compete with Canada and probably beat them about 4 out of 10 times, even in spite of any improvement's that Canada's going to have. Will Canada have more talent? Of course, but the US will be plenty good enough to beat them. Canada haven't added enough talent to push themselves far off into the distance of being a heavy favorite against the US. That's what I was trying to get at.

As for a best of seven. No duh, that'd BE FREAKIN AWESOME!!
Then why don't we start a write-in and call in campaign to USA Hockey and Hockey Canada to get this baby off the ground...
Can you imagine.. Games 1 and 2 in the Madhouse on Madison. Games 3 and 4 Montreal. Game 5 on Broadway. Game 6 Calgary. Game 7 Denver.
It's got to happen at some point...either on the Senior Men's side or Juniors...but a best of 7 has got to happen...

I'll concede home ice advantage here, but the team who finishes better at the Olympics gets home ice... anyway...would be sweet either way. And in terms of a sporting spectacle, is a 100x more intriguing than any re-jigged World Cup.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 07-11-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Derek Stepan - Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty - Paul Stastny - Joe Pavelski
Dustin Brown - David Backes - Ryan Callahan

That's my guess for forwards.
I like that forward group. Every forward with the exception of Stepan and Stastny has scored 30+ goals in the NHL in a season.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:45 PM
PaulieVegas

They had Brian Burke on during the last round of the draft, obviously he's not the GM this time but I'm sure his word carries weight in his new role with the program. He was talking about how the international ice surface will affect player personnel selections and when asked to name names, he seemed to indicate puck movers would be favorerd and singled out Tim Gleason as the kind of player from 2010 who would probably not make the squad this time.

I don't see us having a lot of turnover up front. Malone, Drury, and Langenbrunner are the only three guys I don't see being back in 2014, and there's more than three good candidates to replace them.

On the other hand, I do see a lot of turnover on defense happening. I don't think Gleason or Orpik will be back (maybe Orpik, but sounded like Burke, for what it's worth, was touting puck movers). Rafalski and Whitney obviously won't be back. Erik Johnson will probably be back, I just don't know if he deserves it.

In net, is it fair to say Quick is a shoe-in and the other two guys will be some combination of Miller, Howard, Schneider, and Anderson depending on: (1) who gets invited to orientation camp (will they invite 5 goalies? they only invited 3 last time); and (2) who plays best in the first half of next season?

I like the Bylsma hire, don't think we could have gone any other way. Sorry Torts.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:46 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Then why don't we start a write-in and call in campaign to USA Hockey and Hockey Canada to get this baby off the ground...
Can you imagine.. Games 1 and 2 in the Madhouse on Madison. Games 3 and 4 Montreal. Game 5 on Broadway. Game 6 Calgary. Game 7 Denver.
It's got to happen at some point...either on the Senior Men's side or Juniors...but a best of 7 has got to happen...

I'll concede home ice advantage here, but the team who finishes better at the Olympics gets home ice... anyway...would be sweet either way. And in terms of a sporting spectacle, is a 100x more intriguing than any re-jigged World Cup.
I love that idea. Even a best of 5 would be awesome.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

USA Hockey or Hockey Canada would poo their pants if given the chance at this. You have to convince this man.....

Closed Thread