HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed. Craig Smith is an interesting choice. He's yet to put together a complete NHL campaign but is great internationally on the big ice. Dark horse? Poile is at the helm.
I think Smith will be at camp due to his WC successes but does he have a chance to actually make the team while playing under Trotz? Tough to say as he'd likely need a good start to next year. He certainly has the skill.

07-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Dan Bylsma is a bad coach. Is it really over dramatic to think Team USA doesn't have a chance to win with a bad coach?
How bad could the guy be?
Won the Stanley Cup. Idc how talented your team, its no easy task to do such a thing especially coming in half way.

Made it past the first round in every season hes ever coached. made it to the Conf finals last year.

I know the team was built very strongly starting with two world class players but remember how many injuries they have had in recent years and they continue to be elite. I specifically like the depth players the Penguins seem to have all the time and I will assume that though Shero manages the roster, Byslma puts in a helping hand and has final say on who dresses and who doesnt.

Old
07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
No Cory Schneider but Gibson and Thomas?
I chuckled at that, too.
I would not be surprised if Schneider ends up being USA's number one goalie...this guy does not even include him on his training camp list!

Old
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
USA Hockey will conduct a Menís National Team Orientation Camp at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex, practice facility of the NHLís Washington Capitals, Aug. 26-27. Approximately 40 of the top menís players in the United States are expected to be invited.
http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...rrer_id=844317

Old
07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
bewbies

Here is fake USA team post #2340598205.

This is the team I would pick, based on how I think they'll be playing next Feb.

Parise (C) / Stepan / Kessel
Ryan / Statsny / Kane
Pacioretty / Pavelski / Wheeler
Brown (A) / Kesler / Backes
Oshie/Callahan

Suter (A) / Shattenkirk
McDonaugh / Carlson
Yandle / Bogosian
Martin

Schneider / Quick / Miller / Howard in no particular order.

At first glance we have a TON of talent on the wings and the defense is very well balanced. Goalie is seriously loaded; it will be a difficult decision to choose between them. Center is a weakness though. The team looks a LOT better if at least one of Kesler, Statsny, or Pavs gets their game back to top shape before the tournament.

Old
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The orientation camp last time had 34 names. so that's getting bumped a bit. My guess:

Goaltenders (x4):

Quick, Miller, Howard, and Anderson

Defensemen: (x14)

E. Johnson, J. Johnson, McDonagh, Yandle, Martin, Orpik, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Faulk, Suter, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Carlson, and Jones

Forwards: (x22):

Backes, Brown, Callahan, Kane, Kesler, Kessel, Okposo, Oshie, Parise, Pavelsi, Ryan, Stastny, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Pacioretty, Gionta, JVR, Pominville, Smith, Wilson, and Saad

Old
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
NYR713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Our best center is probably Kesler when healthy, but he hasn't been himself since the Stanley Cup Finals year. Pavelski and Backes are both probably better than Stepan all around. Stepan might be the most creative and skilled center we have at the moment, but he's got some major faults.
Now I'm sure I have some homerism to me, being a Ranger fan, but I was interested in seeing what your idea of major faults were concerning Stepan. I'll give you one... Faceoffs. Other than that, there aren't many "major" faults to the kid's game. On the Rangers he does it all and with great decision making and hockey sense. 5on5, PK, PP (center and point QB) and he's a solid leader at only 23.

I'm not saying he currently is or isn't better than Pavelski, Backes, Kesler or Stastny, but if he continues to improve like he has and last season was an indication of the player he's becoming, then he might be the best center on team USA.

Old
07-19-2013, 04:43 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Projecting the 2014 US Olympic hockey roster - Forwards
http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0042.php

Old
07-19-2013, 06:54 PM
razor ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Projecting the 2014 US Olympic hockey roster - Forwards
http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0042.php
Looks good.

Old
07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The orientation camp last time had 34 names. so that's getting bumped a bit. My guess:

Goaltenders (x4):

Quick, Miller, Howard, and Anderson

Defensemen: (x14)

E. Johnson, J. Johnson, McDonagh, Yandle, Martin, Orpik, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Faulk, Suter, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Carlson, and Jones

Forwards: (x22):

Backes, Brown, Callahan, Kane, Kesler, Kessel, Okposo, Oshie, Parise, Pavelsi, Ryan, Stastny, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Pacioretty, Gionta, JVR, Pominville, Smith, Wilson, and Saad
I know Jones projects to be part of the future for Team USA's blue line, but as of right now I'd invite Trouba before I invited Jones.

07-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

This is the team I would pick, based on how I think they'll be playing next Feb.

Ryan / Statsny / Kane
Oshie/Callahan

Suter (A) / Shattenkirk
McDonaugh / Carlson
Yandle / Bogosian
Martin

Schneider / Quick / Miller / Howard in no particular order.

At first glance we have a TON of talent on the wings and the defense is very well balanced. Goalie is seriously loaded; it will be a difficult decision to choose between them. Center is a weakness though. The team looks a LOT better if at least one of Kesler, Statsny, or Pavs gets their game back to top shape before the tournament.
I like this line up, good job.

That fourth line

Old
07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

Ryan / Statsny / Kane
Oshie/Callahan

Suter (A) / Shattenkirk
McDonaugh / Carlson
Yandle / Bogosian
Martin

Schneider / Quick / Miller / Howard in no particular order..
That awkward moment when Paul Martin and Kevin Shattenkirk make the team ahead of Justin Faulk.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

My team USA:

Parise(C)-Stepan-Kane
Ryan-Stastny-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan(A)
JVR-Pavelski-Pominville
Oshie, Wheeler, Pacioretty

Suter(A)-Faulk
McDonagh-Carlson
Yandle-Bogosian
Byfuglien
Shattenkirk

Quick
Schneider
Howard

Old
07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I know Jones projects to be part of the future for Team USA's blue line, but as of right now I'd invite Trouba before I invited Jones.
They'll probably both be invited to camp along with Gibson in goal.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR713 View Post
Now I'm sure I have some homerism to me, being a Ranger fan, but I was interested in seeing what your idea of major faults were concerning Stepan. I'll give you one... Faceoffs. Other than that, there aren't many "major" faults to the kid's game. On the Rangers he does it all and with great decision making and hockey sense. 5on5, PK, PP (center and point QB) and he's a solid leader at only 23.

I'm not saying he currently is or isn't better than Pavelski, Backes, Kesler or Stastny, but if he continues to improve like he has and last season was an indication of the player he's becoming, then he might be the best center on team USA.
I like Stepan, I'm a badger fan so I love him really. However those guys are really elite centers, Stepan just isn't quite there yet. I'd love to see him take the next step this year.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tagli Eddie View Post
Not.Sure.If.Serious.
I really don't care enough to go back two pages to remember what this refers to, when you can't even formulate a sentence to express your ideas.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
No Cory Schneider but Gibson and Thomas?

On a quick glance, having guys like Krug and Gardiner over Fowler or Bjugstad over Okposo or Wilson don't make sense either at this point.
It's not quite Scott burnside picking Sean couturier, but it's another reminder that most of the hockey media aren't much better than HFBoard posters.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
NHL participation is on for Sochi. I'd expect an announcement about Team USA soon as I'd imagine that was the holdup.
Phew, I'm not going to lie, I was sweating a bit about this.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Phew, I'm not going to lie, I was sweating a bit about this.
I never doubted it for a second. But thought it would come along with the international calendar post Sochi, i.e. World Cup. Although, I'm not opposed to that tournament's return, I'm certainly not as enthused as I used to be about it....we'll see how it goes...

Old
07-20-2013, 08:57 AM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Projecting the 2014 US Olympic Hockey roster - The Defensemen
http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0043.php

Old
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
That awkward moment when Paul Martin and Kevin Shattenkirk make the team ahead of Justin Faulk.
Shattenkirk is clearly ahead of Faulk right now; Faulk and Martin are a push to me. Faulk certainly has a ton of upside but if I'm having to choose between potential and experience for a 2 week tournament happening next year I'm going to take the veteran that has been there before.

That isn't to say Faulk couldn't rip off an awesome first half next year and get more consideration, but right now you go with Martin.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Darth Yoda

Okey. Aside from goalies Right Wing is the most heavy position on the team so i guess Pominville is number five at best, all things considered. He might be the guy with the third highest career points per game of all american players, fourth both the last two and last three seasons, can play on all lines, kills penalties regularly and also mans the point on the power play just as often, but what about having him as the 14th forward? He might not be Paul Kariya in terms of skating but definetely is on the upper half in terms of that, with solid instincts which might suit Big Ice Hockey.

Old
07-20-2013, 03:45 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Okey. Aside from goalies Right Wing is the most heavy position on the team so i guess Pominville is number five at best, all things considered. He might be the guy with the third highest career points per game of all american players, fourth both the last two and last three seasons, can play on all lines, kills penalties regularly and also mans the point on the power play just as often, but what about having him as the 14th forward? He might not be Paul Kariya in terms of skating but definetely is on the upper half in terms of that, with solid instincts which might suit Big Ice Hockey.
Dustin Brown plays both wings. I'm sure several others could as well. Probably don't need to shoehorn players into a single position.

Old
07-20-2013, 05:14 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
USA Hockey will not hold any on-ice practices during its Olympic orientation camp at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in late August because of the need to insure players’ NHL contracts, a spokesman said Friday.

USA Hockey’s camp invitees are expected to be named next week.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-olympic-camp/

Kevin Allen of USA Today also made his roster predictions. He's definitely one of the most well connected USAH reporters so here are some tidbits from his article:

Quote:
When David Poile named general manager of Team USA, he was very clear that the goaltending choices will be made on the basis of who is playing well at the start of the 2013-14 NHL season.

The selection committee has plenty of interest in Justin Abdelkader (Detroit) as a guy who could fill the need for a tough, fourth-line energy guy.

The American defense is far from settled. Jack Johnson, Suter and McDonagh are locks, and Faulk is close to a lock.

No decision has been made whether to bring eight or nine defensemen.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/2571391/

Last edited by William H Bonney: 07-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old
07-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I don't see the need for someone like Abdelkader when the U.S. can ice a 4th line with say Callahan, Backes, and Oshie-all of whom are much more offensively gifted. That said, I like the fact they are going with a team approach with designated roles instead of an all-star team.

Closed Thread