HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Talent wise I dont think we compare to Russia or Canada. I think they can blow us away with team chemistry or talent from head to toe. Even Sweden is comparable to us.

if we want to win, we have to do stick to the gameplan that Burke had in place. Should be eerily similar to what Poile wants, and its good that Burke is on staff.

We cant go with the top 4 talented lines. I dont think it works that way.
Russia has a freakish top six but will the team come together? A U.S. "C" team waxed a strong Russian side at the WC's this year.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Russia has a freakish top six but will the team come together? A U.S. "C" team waxed a strong Russian side at the WC's this year.
The U.S defense is far better than the Russian D, they often get overrated because of their top forwards.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Greene wouldnt be in the top 4 but he is at least EASILY comparable to a lot of those DMen, and better than some.

he won't make it, but yea.
Unless you are including the kids invited for the future, this statement is only true in Devil Land. I would take both Gleason and Scuderi before Greene and they weren't invited.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
@chrismpeters: Peter Laviolette, Todd Richards and Tony Granato will serve as Dan Bylsma's assistant coaches for Team USA in Sochi.

Happy family:

I was just about to post something like this. How could these gentlemen be honestly expected to work well with each other?

Old
07-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
uhhh what?

No Mcdonagh Bogosian or Faulk?
Why even bother? This is the silliest post on the subject yet.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
If Jake Gardiner continues to play the way he did during the playoffs, he'll definitely be on the team.

Gardiner is phenominal.
Phenominal? Good thing you are not biased. U.S. D corp is going to be better than phenominal, so sorry. He's not making it; even on the big ice.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cane View Post
- 24 minutes a night in all situations (PP, PK, shutdown role)
- Much better defensive and better physical game than you should expect a 21 year old OFD to possess
- 2011-2012 NHL All-Rookie Team
- 2012-2013 Carolina Hurricanes Team MVP
- Indirectly named Team USAís best defenseman at the 2012 WCs over Cam Fowler, Jack Johnson, etc.
- Indirectly named Team USAís best defenseman at the 2013 WCs over Erik Johnson, etc.

I'm not surprised to see Justin Faulk not get a lot of love here (most have him listed as a 7th-8th defenseman or off the team) because he plays in a small Southern market that hasnít made the playoffs in a while, he only has a little over 100 games of NHL experience and he doesn't have the hype of a 1st round draft pick. However... simply put, he's good. From what I've seen over the past 2 years, I have full confidence in his ability to play Top 4 minutes on the international stage and excel in that role.
He is very talented, but right now he is the best of a weak D corp. He'll have a shot to make the team. But I would say right now he is on the outside looking in.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sager View Post
Yea Martin's definitely in the top four.

Not likely; unless Bylsma makes it happen for his own reasons.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Not likely; unless Bylsma makes it happen for his own reasons.
While Martin's no means a lock, I think there is a good chance he ends in the top 4.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:53 AM
William H Bonney

Conference call tidbits:

@chrismpeters: Poile: Just because a player is not at this camp, doesn't mean he won't make the Olympic Team.

@chrismpeters: Johannson: The Nike Olympic jersey will be unveiled on August 27.

@chrismpeters: Poile on Dustin Byfuglien: He's a bit of a "wild card" due to lack of int'l experience. A great talent and we'll be watching him closely.

@chrismpeters: Poile on Justin Faulk: The fact that he did well in World Championships, his star is rising. Justin has "excellent chance" to be on team.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I'm fine with Shero/Bylsma as long they don't try to sneak their own guys on the team like Burke/Wilson did.

Last edited by magic school bus: 07-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Conference call tidbits:

@chrismpeters: Poile: Just because a player is not at this camp, doesn't mean he won't make the Olympic Team.
He said that? Beautiful, i dont think they can overlook Pominville when all is said and done and he has outproduced Parise in Minnesota.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
He said that? Beautiful, i dont think they can overlook Pominville when all is said and done and he has outproduced Parise in Minnesota.
I doubt Pominville gets in play without: A) dominating to start the year; and B) going above and beyond to show he wants to compete for USAH for a change.

I'm sure it will leak whether or not he's one of the players (beyond camp invitees) complying with the Olympic drug testing program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm fine with Shero/Bylsma as long the don't try to sneak their own guys on the team like Burke/Wilson did.
Less of a worry for me because Martin/Orpik are light years ahead of where Komisarek was in 2010 and deserve to be in contention at this point.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 07-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
We all know they're gonna look at a lot more than just his time in Minnesota. I think he's off the team and it's his own fault for not answering the call(s).

Old
07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith

vCash: 954
Surprised Wheeler is absent in so many potential lineups. Has had two pretty good seasons and might be the best skating U.S. forward there is and should do very well on the big ice. Will be a big surprise to me if he isn't on the team.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Conference call tidbits:

@chrismpeters: Johannson: The Nike Olympic jersey will be unveiled on August 27.

@chrismpeters: Poile on Dustin Byfuglien: He's a bit of a "wild card" due to lack of int'l experience. A great talent and we'll be watching him closely.

@chrismpeters: Poile on Justin Faulk: The fact that he did well in World Championships, his star is rising. Justin has "excellent chance" to be on team.
Whose left thst would even be a candidate? Pominville?

Old
07-23-2013, 11:40 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

On the press release it says olympic orientation camp at Kettler will be held on Aug 26/27, I thought the camp was longer?

Old
07-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
I doubt Pominville gets in play without: A) dominating to start the year; and B) going above and beyond to show he wants to compete for USAH for a change.

I'm sure it will leak whether or not he's one of the players (beyond camp invitees) complying with the Olympic drug testing program.
I dont know what that last paragraph is supposed to mean but i'm also looking forward to looking into if in fact the many critizizing comments about him playing for the US has led to him saying no sometimes. Obvisously there has been injuries involved as well even during seasons where he played all 82 games

Either way: It might just take one or two injuries on wingers for him to become absolutely needed on the starting roster.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:45 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I doubt many but I would imagine guys like A. Greene, Goligoski, Dubinsky, Pominville, Carle, Gionta, Cole, etc. would be asked to participate in the drug testing program. But I think they have a team in mind already and the open spots (barring injury/disastrous play) are limited.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I dont know what that last paragraph is supposed to mean but i'm also looking forward to looking into if in fact the many critisizing comments about him playing for the USA has let to him say no some times.

In either way: It might just take one or two injuries on wingers for him to become absolutely needed on the starting roster.
All potential players have to participate in the Olympic drug testing program or they're ineligible to play. For the 2010 Olympics, the beat writers for each NHL team would find out who was participating. So if Poms isn't asked to do so, he's ineligible regardless.
Given that he's the most obvious "snub" I would imagine Michael Russo will find out if he's participating in the testing program.

This restriction hurt Team USA in 2010 when Martin and Komisarek went out with injuries because the next-best options at that time, based on their play, were Keith Yandle and Andy Greene but they weren't in the drug testing program and thus couldn't be considered.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Unless you are including the kids invited for the future, this statement is only true in Devil Land. I would take both Gleason and Scuderi before Greene and they weren't invited.
Gleason and Scuderi are not better all around DMen than Andy Greene. no chance, IMO.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

actually very surprised to see Bjugstad getting an invite over Charlie Coyle and Jason Zucker..especially Coyle who can really step up and have a big year next year.

no real complaints on the roster but clearly some young kids just getting the chance at some experience to be with some of these vets.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
ha i had no idea that there were deeper layers to the Laviolette/Granato story:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=14365
Quote:
Laviolette was a groomsman in the wedding of Penguins assistant coach Tony Granato.

"There's a picture in Tony's house of Peter at Tony's wedding," Bylsma said. "When we had a staff dinner at Tony's house, I found that picture and turned it around."

Laviolette said he and Granato "go way back." Pressed further on his relationship with Granato, Laviolette replied, "You want to write a sentimental story today? I'm going to pass on the sentiment and focus on how we can take care of the Penguins tonight.

"Tony and I are good friends, but time passes on, you lose touch a little bit with friends. But Tony's a great guy. ... Enough of this sentimental crap."

The assembled media laughed. Someone asked Laviolette if Bylsma is on his Christmas card list.

Maube it could work out after all

Old
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Your lineup scares the crap outta me. So many hardworking forwards. I think lack of experience on the blueline is your only major concern.

I honestly think your goaltending will win you this tournament. But I don't want it to!

Gonna be amazing to see regardless.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Colin Wilson is a big surprise...maybe he isn't fully recovered yet but he is the #1 guy not invited at this camp that has a shot for this team.

Alex Goligoski not getting an invite is crazy...the dude has answered the call to play for team USA..not seeing how DeKeyser gets an invite over him.

Dubinsky is kind of surprising...same with Charlie Coyle.

Man have Keith Ballard and David Booth really fallen...

the biggest snub for me is R.J Umberger...

not many would have though Beau Bennett would have an invite but Chris Kreider does not..

Closed Thread