HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CEC crowd noise

Old
05-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
CEC crowd noise

We have been catching hell for it on the main boards, the GDT in the Stanley Cup boards, hell even from a lot of posters here.

I cannot speak for everyone, obviously, but I read these things on my phone between periods when I am at the game and the experience you all have on the television is a 180 degree shift from what I hear at the games. I could almost not speak the next day after game one from shouting so much and so loudly. The crowd was rocking, although they let up a bit when the score got out of hand.

Apparently, Pierre McGuire said tonight that it was so loud tonight that he could not hear himself talk. But we got all sorts of comments on all the boards here about how embarrassingly quiet CEC is.

Can we finally admit that there is a different experience there than shows on television?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

We know. The main boards are not interested in facts.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:05 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

It's the tv mics. It always has been...people here and elsewhere are just dense

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Mordax
KANNNNNGGGG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
This.

I remember going to a playoff game in the 09 run and getting my ears practically blown out. Then I watched the tv broadcast and it barely sounded loud at all. TV definitely doesn't do the live atmosphere justice

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Pancakes

I thought the game 1 and 2 crowds sounded a bit quiet from the tv side. Maybe it was different live.

Tonight the crowd was noticeably loud even on tv.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

They turn down the crowd noise for tv broadcast. Every first hand account I've seen says the place is rocking.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
PittPenguin

I thought it was very loud in CEC tonight, especially after the Kennedy goal. I couldn't hear for a while after the game. The crowd sounded loud to me!

PittPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
No doubt about it.

It's annoying that the main board just keeps repeating that it's a 'tired excuse', but refuses to take in the word of the people working the damn games. If you ever doubted the crowd noise volume being turned down compare the sound of goal horns around the league to ours. Ours certainly isn't half the volume of the others in reality.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Fleury3434

I was at the game tonight sitting in the lower bowl...wow was consol rocking tonight! My gf is from Canada (a maple leafs-pens can :p) and this was her first playoff game and first time at consol; even she was impressed with the fans and the environment....KOOOOONNNNN every time vokoun made a save...and after the first 2 goals that place almost blew the roof off...so much energy it was insane

Fleury3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Yep. I was at the game and it was incredibly loud, then I watched it on dvr when I got home and you could hardly hear the crowd at all. People on the main boards or wherever just look for any reason to take shots at the Pens and Pens fans, who really cares what they think?

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:43 AM
shizno

It's not just the 'audio' level though, there aren't any clever chants, no unique goal celebrations and its definately not Winnipeg...but who is

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 4000
It does sound quiet on TV. I am going to a junior hockey game tonight with 10,595 in attendance and it will sound louder then the CEC does through television.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
It's not just the 'audio' level though, there aren't any clever chants, no unique goal celebrations and its definately not Winnipeg...but who is
I do believe i was hearing a nabokov serenade at one point, but our crowd stays pretty classy.

Also Nassau is smaller, more intimate, and its harder to sheild the noise from the mics and that building. Our fans are just as loud, our building just isn't a POS anymore.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
JWells16

You can tell that the audio switches over to and from crowd noise after goals. After every goal, the audio changes.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
plaidchuck

Yeah you could tell the crowd blew up after the 2nd goal last night.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Actually I can understand why people say what they do. I get the exact same impression. And it's not just the noise. You know if last night the Islanders had gone in after a big 2nd period their fans would've been going nuts, but on TV last night the fans in Pittsburgh seemed to make short ovation (maybe 2 or 3 seconds worth), and then literally all the towels stopped and everyone sat down even before the last guy was in the tunnel afaict.

I am glad to hear it's louder in person but I don't understand why NBC would set up the Mics differently in the CEC than any other arena and why you can hear the crowds SO much more clearly in the other arenas (assuming the behavior and noise level is the same), on the same network. I agree it might not be as bad as on TV, but I also doubt very much the noise level is consistently where it was at in Long Island the prior two games. I can't see how accoustics or minor mic setup changes would make that huge a difference.

Also it's NBC's job to play up the noise and make it seem more exciting. At least one of those times whats-his-face asked McGuire about the noise... there was really nothing going on. No recent goals, bad calls, etc. So I'm not buying their "I couldn't hear myself think the whole game" routine. Not totally. After the goals, yes... otherwise... seems fishy.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Randy Butternubs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
I was at the game where Crosby broke his jaw. The crowd got pretty rowdy in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but didn't sound nearly as loud as on TV.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Actually I can understand why people say what they do. I get the exact same impression. And it's not just the noise. You know if last night the Islanders had gone in after a big 2nd period their fans would've been going nuts, but on TV last night the fans in Pittsburgh seemed to make short ovation (maybe 2 or 3 seconds worth), and then literally all the towels stopped and everyone sat down even before the last guy was in the tunnel afaict.

I am glad to hear it's louder in person but I don't understand why NBC would set up the Mics differently in the CEC than any other arena and why you can hear the crowds SO much more clearly in the other arenas (assuming the behavior and noise level is the same), on the same network. I agree it might not be as bad as on TV, but I also doubt very much the noise level is consistently where it was at in Long Island the prior two games. I can't see how accoustics or minor mic setup changes would make that huge a difference.

Also it's NBC's job to play up the noise and make it seem more exciting. At least one of those times whats-his-face asked McGuire about the noise... there was really nothing going on. No recent goals, bad calls, etc. So I'm not buying their "I couldn't hear myself think the whole game" routine. Not totally. After the goals, yes... otherwise... seems fishy.
There was also a long ovation that continued through most of a tv time out. I also disagree that the crowd only cheered for 2 or 3 seconds as they went off the ice after the 2nd but ymmv.

Honestly, people can believe what they want. I'm not bothered by it one way or another. People who were in attendance are saying that the crowd was very loud and consistent. I had a good time and that's all I really care about. I hate when people try to turn sporting events into high school cheerleading competitions. The crowd was loud and very into the game. I'm not sure what people expect beyond that.

As far as the towels, I get the impression that people are kind of tired of them in the same way they were with the whiteouts. Lots of people aren't even using them anymore, including me.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
There was also a long ovation that continued through most of a tv time out. I also disagree that the crowd only cheered for 2 or 3 seconds as they went off the ice after the 2nd but ymmv.

Honestly, people can believe what they want. I'm not bothered by it one way or another. People who were in attendance are saying that the crowd was very loud and consistent. I had a good time and that's all I really care about. I hate when people try to turn sporting events into high school cheerleading competitions. The crowd was loud and very into the game. I'm not sure what people expect beyond that.

As far as the towels, I get the impression that people are kind of tired of them in the same way they were with the whiteouts. Lots of people aren't even using them anymore.
Yah I'm not trying to rag on the whole fan-base but I get the distinct impression since the CEC was opened and the seating prices have gone way up... that there's a substantial portion of the crowd now that is more conservative / quiet than in the past. Doesn't mean people shouldn't go or not enjoy the game or whatever, just saying that's the perception.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I was at the game where Crosby broke his jaw. The crowd got pretty rowdy in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but didn't sound nearly as loud as on TV.
Never go to a game again, please.

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Richard

This was the loudest I've ever heard Consul.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
madinsomniac

Quote:

Id assume that has something to do with the acoustics of the building along with the more advanced sound filtering systems... i have been to concerts that were taped and almost too loud to hear the band, yet when you hear the live cd's of it, the crowd noise is minimal at best.... People are just used to old domes that reverberated no matter where the mics were located and old TV equipment that couldnt seperate background noise from the action as well as they can nowadays

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Yah I'm not trying to rag on the whole fan-base but I get the distinct impression since the CEC was opened and the seating prices have gone way up... that there's a substantial portion of the crowd now that is more conservative / quiet than in the past. Doesn't mean people shouldn't go or not enjoy the game or whatever, just saying that's the perception.
eh, seat prices don't seem to be much of a factor for the noise in Toronto's building.

I will agree with others that the crowd is much louder in person though.

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
Id assume that has something to do with the acoustics of the building along with the more advanced sound filtering systems... i have been to concerts that were taped and almost too loud to hear the band, yet when you hear the live cd's of it, the crowd noise is minimal at best.... People are just used to old domes that reverberated no matter where the mics were located and old TV equipment that couldnt seperate background noise from the action as well as they can nowadays
People used the same excuse for Mellon.

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:55 AM
shizno

Actually, Pittsburgh crowds remind me of Dallas crowds...(only they sell out...lol). Take what you want out of that. They can be loud but its never sustained and always reactionary

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote