HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
It really was one of the dumbest things to try. Forcing Iginla to LW just to keep the top line together and so Iginla plays in the top 6.
These guys like Morrow and Iginla have said they'll do whatever it takes and play where ever.

Read that too. Really not a huge thing. Just forces Niskanen off PP1.

Iginla---Kunitz---Jokinen
Letang---Malkin

would be the setup.
Niskanen on PP1 makes me miss Letang.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:38 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Once everyone is healthy...

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy

Yeah? DEEEEEEP
I like your lines, but you know there is 0% chance of Bylsma doing this

1 - Dupuis will be with Crosby no matter what. I'm not upset about this to be honest but its how it is right now.
2 - I'm afraid Iginla is stapled to Geno's wing for the rest of the year come hell or high water.
3 - Disco is not physically capable of scratching Adams or Glass, let alone both for Vitale to play.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:40 AM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Niskanen on PP1 makes me miss Letang.
Personally i'd rather have Martin on the first PP unit then Letang. Martin is just a better QB and works the umbrella well. But for the time being with Tanger coming back soon then yea he should be there

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I like your lines, but you know there is 0% chance of Bylsma doing this

1 - Dupuis will be with Crosby no matter what. I'm not upset about this to be honest but its how it is right now.
2 - I'm afraid Iginla is stapled to Geno's wing for the rest of the year come hell or high water.
3 - Disco is not physically capable of scratching Adams or Glass, let alone both for Vitale to play.
The conditional pick in the Jokinen trade makes me think he's not a big part of the plans moving forward into the Facebook, save for injuries.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-TK
Bennett-Jeffrey-Jokinen
Vital

Is what I'm expecting despite all normal brain functions.

Wonder if a 3rd line of Morrow-Jokinen-Iginla would be any good?

Then make Cooke-Sutter-TK a dedicated shutdown 4th line. Roll 3 scoring lines....

All I want is for us to be able to comfortably roll 4 lines. Any line at any time. Right now, the 4th line is crap and is a liability against top lines. I just don't want us to ever bein a "caught" pposition with lines.We have the talent available toput together 4 deep lines. We need them. Running 4 lines will create matchup problems and allow us to wear teams down, especially the defense. Morrow-Joks-Iggu against a third pairing? I'm good with that. Throws the dpair matchups off.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Randy Butternubs

vCash: 50
Quote:
The conditional pick in the Jokinen trade makes me think he's not a big part of the plans moving forward into the Facebook, save for injuries.
You mean... "future"?

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
KIRK

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-TK
Bennett-Jeffrey-Jokinen
Vital

Then make Cooke-Sutter-TK a dedicated shutdown 4th line. Roll 3 scoring lines....

All I want is for us to be able to comfortably roll 4 lines. Any line at any time. Right now, the 4th line is crap and is a liability against top lines. I just don't want us to ever bein a "caught" pposition with lines.We have the talent available toput together 4 deep lines. We need them. Running 4 lines will create matchup problems and allow us to wear teams down, especially the defense. Morrow-Joks-Iggu against a third pairing? I'm good with that. Throws the dpair matchups off.
If Dupuis MUST be saddled to Crosby, then here's my call:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jokinen-Adams

Jokinen sometimes slots at L2 LW, with Bennett sliding down to L4 RW and Adams over to L4 C.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
BeautiPhil
Toronto Sun Model

What I'd like to see:

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Morrow
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy
Have Jokinen shift in at 4th line center to take some faceoffs.

BeautiPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Every time someone posts a line-up without Bennett it bothers me. What bothers me even more is that they are right not to have him in their line-ups if we are being realistic with Bylsma.

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jokinen-Adams

Jokinen sometimes slots at L2 LW, with Bennett sliding down to L4 RW and Adams over to L4 C.
I posted something like that yesterday. If Sid has to play with Kunitz and Dupuis, then Iginla should be dropped to the third line.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Jokinen-Adams

I actually love this lineup. This would be the deepest 4 lines (when it comes to scoring depth) of any team in the post lockout era, IMO. Every one of those players (save Adams) has 20G potential. That's incredible!!

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
LetangInTheSO

As an aside, here is each player's career year:
Crosby: 51G
Malkin: 50G
Iginla: 50G
Neal: 40G
Morrow: 33G
Jokinen: 30G
Kunitz: 26G
Dupuis: 25G
Sutter: 21G
Cooke: 19G
Adams: 10G
Bennett: N/A

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Randy Butternubs

What I want:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Bennett-Adams-Kennedy-Glass-Whoever

Malkin needs some serious help with faceoffs and Jussi addresses that. I guess he can be put there at puck drop and rotate out for someone more gritty afterwards.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

If DB continues to use Malkin/Iginla even with a healthy roster:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass/Jokinen-Jokinen/Adams-Adams/Kennedy

...is what i see DB putting together if fully healthy, thats why i asked the question of what is DB going to do with Jokinen? Is Glass finally going to sit? Does he sit Kennedy? Is he really going to sit Jokinen?

It will be interesting.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
If DB continues to use Malkin/Iginla even with a healthy roster:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass/Jokinen-Adams-Kennedy

...is what i see DB putting together if fully healthy, thats why i asked the question of what is DB going to do with Jokinen? Is Glass finally going to sit? Does he sit Kennedy?

It will be interesting.
If Glass is in the line-up when we are healthy, I might literally throw up.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

how much SH TOI/G has Jussi seen since coming to Pittsburgh? he's averaged 1:20 over the season, but that obviously includes his time in Carolina. Glass has averaged 1:24 over the season. if Glass is only here to PK, hit and fight. the acquisitions of Jokinen (PK time) and Morrow/Murray (hits) should render his presence superfluous.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

Jokinen has looked brilliant so far and so has Bennett. Between those two and Joe Vitale, none of them should ever be healthy scratches, maybe even over Brendan Morrow (as much as I like Morrow).

Also, I'd like to see a line of Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla, since I think eventually we should be working towards Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Jokinen is more like Crosby than Malkin is so you can have Crosby drop into that spot when he returns and get Iginla used to that. Then Pair Bennett & Malkin with someone until Neal returns.

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Glass has zero business being in the line up right now. Vitals and Jeffrey arebthe better options...which begs the question why is he still here? Can't be happy with a blanket statement that says "we like what he brings to the line". That's a cop out.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
AgentM

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-TK
Bennett-Jeffrey-Jokinen
Vital

Hopefully Disco is smart enough to keep using Jokinen once (if) we get healthy again considering how effective he's been so far. Heck Jokinen can be slotted as the 4th line center regulary as long as he's on the ice to help out on faceoffs, especially for Geno throughout the game.

Otherwise I agree with you and unfortunately agree with your Bylsma-approved lineup. It seems like he overthinks the lineups too much. You could have two really well balanced top lines with Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Morrow-Malkin-Neal or Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal but for some reason Bylsma steered clear of thos options.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Glass has zero business being in the line up right now. Vitals and Jeffrey arebthe better options...which begs the question why is he still here? Can't be happy with a blanket statement that says "we like what he brings to the line". That's a cop out.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Personally i'd like to see Kunitz stick with Malkin.

We need to really get Malkin going and if Neal is out for any length of time, i'd rather Malkin get going then to worry about where to place Iginla.

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

would be what i would be working towards when the playoffs begin.

I'm really not worried about Glass.
He only needs to do very few things well, especially if he gets replaced on the PK with Jokinen and he'll be fine. He won't make or break us.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Hopefully Disco is smart enough to keep using Jokinen once (if) we get healthy again considering how effective he's been so far. Heck Jokinen can be slotted as the 4th line center regulary as long as he's on the ice to help out on faceoffs, especially for Geno throughout the game.

Otherwise I agree with you and unfortunately agree with your Bylsma-approved lineup. It seems like he overthinks the lineups too much. You could have two really well balanced top lines with Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla and Morrow-Malkin-Neal or Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal but for some reason Bylsma steered clear of thos options.
If after these two games Jokinen hasn't locked in a spot for himself, DB has problems.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
What I want:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Bennett-Adams-Kennedy-Glass-Whoever

Malkin needs some serious help with faceoffs and Jussi addresses that. I guess he can be put there at puck drop and rotate out for someone more gritty afterwards.
I could see that too, but less because of faceoffs actually. I think Jokinen actually could mesh in other aspects of 5 on 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Every time someone posts a line-up without Bennett it bothers me. What bothers me even more is that they are right not to have him in their line-ups if we are being realistic with Bylsma.

I posted something like that yesterday. If Sid has to play with Kunitz and Dupuis, then Iginla should be dropped to the third line.
Great minds think alike!

Seriously, Iginla, Neal, and Dupuis all need to play RW. Where they get slotted can vary. BUT, Sid's LW should be Kunitz, Geno's LW should be Bennett, Sutter's LW should be Morrow, and Jokinen's LW should be Cooke.

Put Neal on Malkin's RW. Iginla and Dupuis on L1 and L3 (decide which way to do it). Let Jokinen rotate into Bennett's slot with Geno and Neal in certain situations or if Beau is struggling, with Bennett sliding then to L4 on RW with Adams and Cooke.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Personally i'd like to see Kunitz stick with Malkin.

We need to really get Malkin going and if Neal is out for any length of time, i'd rather Malkin get going then to worry about where to place Iginla.

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

would be what i would be working towards when the playoffs begin.

I'm really not worried about Glass.
He only needs to do very few things well, especially if he gets replaced on the PK with Jokinen and he'll be fine. He won't make or break us.
Yes, we do, because I think we've got big playoff problems if he isn't going. Forget about whether he should do it himself and just look at what is. Malkin isn't going. Ergo, my question is this: Was he going at any time this season? Were there any games in which Malkin looked like Malkin?

The answer is that there were two: The second and third game back from the concussion, games against Philly and Toronto, two teams against which Malkin really hasn't looked all that great, even with Kunitz last year.

And who was his LW? BEAU BENNETT.

That shoulder injury against Toronto might turn out to be the Pens most significant injury all year. Malkin was really dialing it up with Bennett. There was immediate, definite chemistry, and Bennett showed a natural instinct for playing with Malkin that I've really only ever seen Malone and Talbot show in the NHL.

If they had been given an opportunity to build on that, then there could have been a pretty special partnership there. They won't get that opportunity now, and it will be to the Pens detriment.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

Juice with a 3 point night tonight. When this team is completely healthy, any chance he sticks in the lineup. He's been really good so far. Great on the faceoffs. Solid defensively, always makes the smart play. Offensively, he's been very good as well. I'd like to see him center the 4th line once everyone is back. He reminds me of Mike Zigomanis with his key wins on the draws, albeit with more offensive ability.

Also note, I didn't read through the thread if this has been discussed recently, so my apologies.

Xavier Laflamme* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Laflamme View Post
Juice with a 3 point night tonight. When this team is completely healthy, any chance he sticks in the lineup. He's been really good so far. Great on the faceoffs. Solid defensively, always makes the smart play. Offensively, he's been very good as well. I'd like to see him center the 4th line once everyone is back. He reminds me of Mike Zigomanis with his key wins on the draws, albeit with more offensive ability.

Also note, I didn't read through the thread if this has been discussed recently, so my apologies.
He has to stick. Even if it's the 4C and 2nd-PP. He's too good on draws and still has something left in the tank, clearly. He can PK, too, which means sitting Glass or Adams or TK (who doesn't PK) isn't so painful.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Wickedtune

You know, to my surprise, I really like the Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis line. Bylsma would never do it, but if everyone is healthy I wouldn't mind seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams/Kennedy*

*Kennedy would make that line a much bigger threat to score, but I think it would have to be Adams for the PK.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote