HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-12-2013, 12:39 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
You know, to my surprise, I really like the Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis line. Bylsma would never do it, but if everyone is healthy I wouldn't mind seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams/Kennedy*

*Kennedy would make that line a much bigger threat to score, but I think it would have to be Adams for the PK.
DB loves TK, Adams and Glass so much i just can't see him doing that.

Thats why i keep going back to, if DB has a full healthy squad, who does he sit?

Glass? Kennedy? Is he really going to sit Jokinen?

Theres guys we know for sure he has no trouble putting in the press box like Vitale, Jeffrey, Bennett but he has a decision to make if he has a full healthy squad.

I believe he'll find a spot for Jokinen, cuz even if he plays wing, having 2 centermen on a line is never a bad thing on icings and when linesman chuck the first one.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
insomniac34

WTF are these PP units going to look like if we're healthy??

PP UNIT 1
Iginla Crosby
Letang - Martin - Malkin

PP UNIT 2
Kunitz Neal
Niskanen - Jokinen - Despres

or maybe break it up....

PP UNIT 1
Kunitz Iginla
Despres Martin Crosby

PP UNIT 2
Morrow Neal
Letang - Niskanen - Malkin

Last edited by insomniac34: 04-12-2013 at 07:45 AM.
insomniac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
WTF are these PP units going to look like if we're healthy??

PP UNIT 1
Iginla Crosby
Letang - Martin - Malkin

PP UNIT 2
Kunitz Neal
Niskanen - Jokinen - Despres

or maybe break it up....

PP UNIT 1
Kunitz Iginla
Despres Martin Crosby

PP UNIT 2
Morrow Neal
Letang - Niskanen - Malkin
Geno with Neal on one unit.

Sid with Kunitz on the other.

Jokinen and Bennett/Morrow are the extra forward. Jokinen with Malkin if the shift starts on a draw. Otherwise, Bennett/Morrow with Malkin and JJ with Sid.

Defensive pairings are Iginla-Martin and Dupuis-Letang.

I do agree with the 'break them up' approach. Means you really have a #1 PP unit out there the whole time. Tough matchup.

Quote:
You know, to my surprise, I really like the Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis line. Bylsma would never do it, but if everyone is healthy I wouldn't mind seeing:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis

*Kennedy would make that line a much bigger threat to score, but I think it would have to be Adams for the PK.
WINNER!!!

BTW, you dress Adams. You can always sneak Sid or Geno out with Cooke and Sutter for the random ES shifts.

Last edited by KIRK: 04-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.
KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
a Cooke-Sutter-Adams fourth-line would finally give DB his dream of being able to utilize the fourth-line as a shut-down line.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
a Cooke-Sutter-Adams fourth-line would finally give DB his dream of being able to utilize the fourth-line as a shut-down line.
He really could at that point too. Adams is the only 4th liner in that line-up Throw in Dupuis and that's one of the best shutdown 3rd lines in the league.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
MtlPenFan

I don't even want to put down my lines. Ever time I try, I'm sitting someone I don't want to sit. Too many useful bodies right now.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis

I agree that Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis line has been amazing. These are the lines that I want to see as well.

Unfortunately, the only way that it can stay is if Bennett stays in the lineup and I don't think Dan will dress him over the players that would need to sit.

The closest lineup that seems possible is something like:
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Vyruz Reaper

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I agree that Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis line has been amazing. These are the lines that I want to see as well.

Unfortunately, the only way that it can stay is if Bennett stays in the lineup and I don't think Dan will dress him over the players that would need to sit.

The closest lineup that seems possible is something like:
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy
I like these lines. I know Jokinen came here for C depth but he has played LW for a lot of his career.

Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Oan

From what I gather JJ is as comfortable on wing as he is on center. Also, if he is on the wing, that's a bonus faceoff guy for you if the center gets pulled off.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Only way Jokinen plays wing is if its with Geno. Otherwise I want him centering.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:00 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Agreed. Jokinen taking a few face offs for Geno would be clutch. Stick Neal at the top of the circle would be double lethal coming from both ends.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:21 AM
insomniac34

I know this is pointless, but imagine if we went with the following forward combos; essentially 3 first lines and a defensive line:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennet-Jokinen-Iginla
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

would this actually be an effective lineup?

DB could use line juggling to ensure that one of Crosby, Malkin or Iginla would be on the ice at all times.

insomniac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
I know this is pointless, but imagine if we went with the following forward combos; essentially 3 first lines and a defensive line:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennet-Jokinen-Iginla
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

would this actually be an effective lineup?

DB could use line juggling to ensure that one of Crosby, Malkin or Iginla would be on the ice at all times.
I've thought about this a bit. In the regular season it would be awesome. the thing is, do we actually need three scoring lines in the playoffs? Or would it actually just cut into how much ice time Sid and Geno end up getting?

Old
04-13-2013, 10:38 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I've thought about this a bit. In the regular season it would be awesome. the thing is, do we actually need three scoring lines in the playoffs? Or would it actually just cut into how much ice time Sid and Geno end up getting?
You should always be dressing your best 5v5 players regardless, so the answer is yes. 5v5 determines who wins hockey games and that means you should be dressing your positive +- guys. Call them "scoring" lines or whatever you want, they will win you games over role players who are negative 5v5 players. These are guys that "can" score on the other team at any shift. If you aren't a threat to score, you are generally a minus player.

Forwards that don't contribute offense are as useful as defensemen that don't contribute on defense. This is why I don't have Glass, Vitale, or Adams in my "perfect", healthy lineup in favor of (coaching staff whipping boys) TK, DJ, and BB (all players who have histories of being positive, 5v5 players, who can score).

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Waffle Fries

Iginla and Letang were on the point for the first powerplay unit during practice today, Despres and Niskanen were on the point for the second.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Diagonaali

A question from someone who hasn't been following Pens too much before Jussi was moved there - Now that you have the ridiculous forward depth that you have, would there be any consideration putting Malkin and Crosby in the first line together?

Diagonaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagonaali View Post
A question from someone who hasn't been following Pens too much before Jussi was moved there - Now that you have the ridiculous forward depth that you have, would there be any consideration putting Malkin and Crosby in the first line together?
The only time Crosby and Malkin will be on the ice together is during powerplays or random shifts if we are desperate need of offense.

While we have the depth to do that, it's not the best idea considering Malkin excels the most (asides from faceoffs) as a center and our second line isn't nearly as much as a threat otherwise.

One of the best things about having both Crosby and Malkin on separate lines is that other teams have to pick their poison. If they spend all their time trying to shut down one, then the other will make them pay.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Phil68

With all the depth the pens have.. Why not do this when Crosby comes back

Kunitz Crosby malkin

Neal jokinen iginla

Morrow sutter dupuis

Cooke Adams Kennedy

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Valarukar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
With all the depth the pens have.. Why not do this when Crosby comes back

Kunitz Crosby malkin

Neal jokinen iginla

Morrow sutter dupuis

Cooke Adams Kennedy
See post above yours

Valarukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Valarukar

Line combos for the playoffs IF everyone is healthy

Frankly I don't care much about our line combos during the regular season at this point and we are projected (hopefully) to have a healthy lineup come early playoffs with Neal being the only question mark. So on that note . . .

Not that it's likely to happen, but I'd like to see

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

First line needs no explanation. Plus I've seen some signs of some chemistry between Kunitz and Iginla. They just seem to mesh the best out of who Iggys played with thus far and Sid will help facilitate that.

Malkin and Neal need someone that doesn't need the puck to be effective, that can win board battles, and can create space. Plus Malkin's style doesn't need a phenomenal skater to play with him since he kind of slows the game down. Also Morrow is one of our best along the boards and for whatever reason I feel like Neal's board work has been leaving something to be desired this year.

Third line can create some offense, all are quick and good along the boards, good on the backcheck, and maybe our 3 best defensive forwards to shut those top lines down. Plus all have lots of games in our system now, they know what to do and where to be so they won't make mistakes, which is important from your shutdown line.

Fourth line 2 guys that can take faceoffs with Jokinen winning the majority allows them to get the puck out of our d zone fast. Bennett is surprisingly good along the boards and defensively and can create some offense too, plus he seems to have a knack for making sure the puck gets out of our zone when he gets the puck. Adams has impressed me as of late and his board work has been awesome. Don't know how Jokinen would fit with the style of play Blysma likes out of his 4th line thats my only hangup, but he has looked very serviceable along the boards as well.

If we are down and need some more offense switch Sutter with Jokinen and Bennett with Cooke. Sutter, Cooke, Adams could still match up against teams top lines.

This is all assuming Bennett is in though. Slide Kennedy in for him for, well Idk what TK is better at than Bennett, maybe slightly faster and slightly better along the boards and honestly thats it. Slide Glass in for more physicality . . . well supposedly and another PKer. Odd to say, but I don't know if I'd rather have TK or Glass in at this point. I might have to go with TK just because he takes less penalties and I feel is slightly less detrimental to our puck possession (he creates offensive zone draws with those chest snipes ) . I'd like Vitale more than either as that would allow him and Jokinen to be very aggressive in the faceoff circle and play whichever of them is more comfortable at wing or Blysma could play whoever he thinks is better defensively at center. In conclusion for that last winger spot, because I don't see Blysma ever sitting Adams, Bennett => Vitale > Kennedy > Glass. If Bennett struggles with the playoff style of play put Vitale into my lineup. In all honesty I'm guessing Blysma's view is Kennedy > Glass > Vitale > Bennett for the playoffs though.

I know lots of you like lineups with Bennett in the top 6, but wake up from your dreamland. I will be happy IF DB plays BB and IF he does, it's going to be with 4th line minutes, so this lineup is feasible as a real life scenario, at least in my mind.

Last edited by Valarukar: 04-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
rylansmith

The most likely top 3 lines will be

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke

rylansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Vitale

Sitting: Adams, Kennedy, Glass, Jeffrey

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Valarukar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Vitale

Sitting: Adams, Kennedy, Glass, Jeffrey

Could live with that lineup however unlikely it is that Vitale and Bennett are both in. However, as much as I love Vitale I'm not sure I'd want him playing in a position he hasn't played much with the big club on top of not playing much at all, especially in a shutdown role.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:15 PM
NMK11

My two cents:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Beau-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Vitale-Cooke

Two first lines, Beau has shown he fits there. The third line is a great combination of shut down ability that will still give secondary scoring. And if they're matching against other team's top lines, that's where I'm putting my second center for faceoffs. That last line just scares me. They're all pretty responsible, and they're going to crush anyone they play against. I really like the idea of having a shut down line and an energy/physical line. I'd just prefer the latter to have people who can chip in offensively instead of Adams and Glass.

NMK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Ray Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
Frankly I don't care much about our line combos during the regular season at this point and we are projected (hopefully) to have a healthy lineup come early playoffs with Neal being the only question mark. So on that note . . .

Not that it's likely to happen, but I'd like to see

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

First line needs no explanation. Plus I've seen some signs of some chemistry between Kunitz and Iginla. They just seem to mesh the best out of who Iggys played with thus far and Sid will help facilitate that.

Malkin and Neal need someone that doesn't need the puck to be effective, that can win board battles, and can create space. Plus Malkin's style doesn't need a phenomenal skater to play with him since he kind of slows the game down. Also Morrow is one of our best along the boards and for whatever reason I feel like Neal's board work has been leaving something to be desired this year.

Third line can create some offense, all are quick and good along the boards, good on the backcheck, and maybe our 3 best defensive forwards to shut those top lines down. Plus all have lots of games in our system now, they know what to do and where to be so they won't make mistakes, which is important from your shutdown line.

Fourth line 2 guys that can take faceoffs with Jokinen winning the majority allows them to get the puck out of our d zone fast. Bennett is surprisingly good along the boards and defensively and can create some offense too, plus he seems to have a knack for making sure the puck gets out of our zone when he gets the puck. Adams has impressed me as of late and his board work has been awesome. Don't know how Jokinen would fit with the style of play Blysma likes out of his 4th line thats my only hangup, but he has looked very serviceable along the boards as well.

If we are down and need some more offense switch Sutter with Jokinen and Bennett with Cooke. Sutter, Cooke, Adams could still match up against teams top lines.

This is all assuming Bennett is in though. Slide Kennedy in for him for, well Idk what TK is better at than Bennett, maybe slightly faster and slightly better along the boards and honestly thats it. Slide Glass in for more physicality . . . well supposedly and another PKer. Odd to say, but I don't know if I'd rather have TK or Glass in at this point. I might have to go with TK just because he takes less penalties and I feel is slightly less detrimental to our puck possession (he creates offensive zone draws with those chest snipes ) . I'd like Vitale more than either as that would allow him and Jokinen to be very aggressive in the faceoff circle and play whichever of them is more comfortable at wing or Blysma could play whoever he thinks is better defensively at center. In conclusion for that last winger spot, because I don't see Blysma ever sitting Adams, Bennett => Vitale > Kennedy > Glass. If Bennett struggles with the playoff style of play put Vitale into my lineup. In all honesty I'm guessing Blysma's view is Kennedy > Glass > Vitale > Bennett for the playoffs though.

I know lots of you like lineups with Bennett in the top 6, but wake up from your dreamland. I will be happy IF DB plays BB and IF he does, it's going to be with 4th line minutes, so this lineup is feasible as a real life scenario, at least in my mind.
Agreed with most of that.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote