HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Zbynek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Only lineup that makes sense to me (with everyone healthy) would be the following:

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams/Kennedy

Letang - Despres
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Murray
Completely agree here, based on:

1) Morrow-Juicy-Dupuis line has looked fantastic, to the point that I would have no problem whatsoever rolling with Sutter as the 4C if they continue to produce like they have. This would also allow for scary-good matchups when 16 hits the ice.
2) Iginla/Geno not showing immediate signs of chemistry. I'm personally a fan of being patient with Iggy, but let's face it, 6 games left in the season. I think most of us share the same sentiment that Iggy and Sid will dominate when they are finally paired together.
3) Bennett would fit perfectly on the left side of Geno and Neal. Geno needs a high hockey IQ guy to return to his 2011/2012 level. All we need to do is somehow convince Danny B that TK and Glass should both sit in favor of Bennett. Don't know if that will happen

My only other comment would be to alternate Despres and Eaton as needed. As much as I love Despres, Eaton has quietly been really solid this season for us. I'm liking Eaton's consistency come playoff time.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:26 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Only lineup that makes sense to me (with everyone healthy) would be the following:

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams/Kennedy

Letang - Despres
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Murray

However, this makes too much sense for DB to actually do it
I want no part of Iginla with Malkin, and Dupuis is good enough to play anywhere and still get production, so I'm not a believer in the "Crosby line or bust" theory when it comes to him.
I still think that the only way Sid plays with Iginla this year is if he returns from his injury before Geno does. If Sid comes back first Bylsma will want to put Iggy with him to keep him working with one of our elite centers. And then hopefully they click right away and Bylsma can't pull them apart. If Geno comes back first then Iggy will go back on a line with him.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
looks like (as most on here have thought for some time) the Niskanen-Murray pairing is here for the long-haul.

Quote:
When asked why the pairing hasn't been broken up despite numerous injuries, head coach Dan Bylsma explained, "It's a pair we've wanted to give time to and keep together as a possibility of what we might see in the postseason."
Quote:
[Niskanen] Ideally, with our strengths, that’s what we’d like to happen. He can take the man and I’ll swoop in and get the puck and get it going the other way. But it doesn’t always happen that way. You’ve just got to read and react.
Quote:
[Murray] I think he’s a great guy to read off of. He has a sound game. He has a good pattern that a [defensive] partner likes. He gets available [for passes] and is in position and it’s easier to read off a guy like that ... I don’t think he’s a very risky offensive guy which I like. But it’s no doubt when you look at us he’s more offensive than me.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Malkinstheman

@pgshelly :
Lines at #Penguins practice; Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla, Morrow-Dupuis-Bennett, Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy, Glass-Vitale-Adams.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
@pgshelly :
Lines at #Penguins practice; Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla, Morrow-Dupuis-Bennett, Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy, Glass-Vitale-Adams.
so 71 is now a healthy scratch

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
so 71 is now a healthy scratch
should have traded him when he had value. ****ing Shero

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
InGENEious

Hey Guys,
First time poster. Pumped for the playoffs and even more pumped to get everyone back and healthy, hopefully just in time for it.

My lines to start the first round would look like this:

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Jokinen - Bennett
Adams/Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke

Adams or Kennedy depending on how bad you want a 5th PKing forward. As long as the bottom two lines play defensively responsible, we're going to be able to roll 4 lines, each with a serious scoring threat. Sutter on the 4th line, talk about match up issues. Also, I'd consider those lines 1A, 1B, 3A, 3B.

Defense is a little tougher

Letang - Eaton
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Murray

I don't want Eaton to log all the minutes that Letang is going to have to in the postseason, however, I think the Niskanen - Murray line is good enough that it can play as more of a 2b line to eat some of those minutes.

IMHO we're WAY deeper than the 09 team. Hopefully we get healthy and Geno goes back into Beast mode.

Let's Go Pens!

InGENEious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Coach Travis
Back2Back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGENEious View Post
Hey Guys,
First time poster. Pumped for the playoffs and even more pumped to get everyone back and healthy, hopefully just in time for it.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Nice first post! Welcome aboard!

I kind of agree with this. Crosby is going to rock and roll with anyone right now but we gotta get Malkin going and the last time we saw that was with the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line.

Only issue I have with this line-up is no Vitale on the 4th line (Cooke-Sutter-Vitale). But then it's tough not to put Adams out there to have on the PK.

Quote:

Letang - Eaton
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Murray

I don't want Eaton to log all the minutes that Letang is going to have to in the postseason, however, I think the Niskanen - Murray line is good enough that it can play as more of a 2b line to eat some of those minutes.

IMHO we're WAY deeper than the 09 team. Hopefully we get healthy and Geno goes back into Beast mode.

Let's Go Pens!
Defence is tough. It's like we've got 9 capable D-men but you can only dress 6. Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Murray aren't sitting. I don't want to sit Niskanen or Despres but Eaton has been so solid, and, like Adams, you want him on the PK. That leaves Bortuzzo and Engelland as the odd men out.

Yeah, you're right about depth. From my count we've got 16 able forwards and 9 D.

Forwards:
  1. Sidney Crosby
  2. Evgeni Malkin
  3. Jerome Iginla
  4. James Neal
  5. Chris Kunitz
  6. Pascal Dupuis
  7. Jussi Jokinen
  8. Brendan Morrow
  9. Brandon Sutter
  10. Matt Cooke
  11. Beau Bennett
  12. Joe Vitale
  13. Craig Adams
  14. Tyler Kennedy
  15. Dustin Jeffrey
  16. Tanner Glass

Defense:
  1. Kris Letang
  2. Paul Martin
  3. Brooks Orpik
  4. Douglas Murray
  5. Mark Eaton
  6. Matti Niskanen
  7. Simon Despres
  8. Derek Engelland
  9. Robert Bortuzzo

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
InGENEious

Thanks! Glad to be here

While I do think Vitale plays with more heart than basically.... anyone on the team, Kennedy usually plays strong in the playoffs and atleast has some finish. Though he hasn't displayed it this year other than a couple sick goals from the left circle. I'd definitely consider Vitale over Adams on that 4th line left wing though. The guy can PK, and his energy would certainly help set the tone for the offseason.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:26 PM
turd

I think you guys are going to be extremely disappointed with where Bennett ends up in the post-season.

Hint: Third in line after Jeffrey and Vitale.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Rico Fatastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
I think you guys are going to be extremely disappointed with where Bennett ends up in the post-season.

Hint: Third in line after Jeffrey and Vitale.
I think the fact that Bennett is currently in the lineup over Jeffrey makes it pretty clear who is higher than whom on the depth chart. Vitale vs. Beauregard could probably go either way depending on the situation.

Rico Fatastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
I think the fact that Bennett is currently in the lineup over Jeffrey makes it pretty clear who is higher than whom on the depth chart. Vitale vs. Beauregard could probably go either way depending on the situation.
oh man, is Beauregard really his name?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Reigning Defending
Undisputed

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-TK/Adams/Glass/Vitale

Eaton/Despres-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Murray-Niskanen

Flower
Vokoun

would be the best lines. That's two awesome 1st lines and two great 3rd lines. Although TK has been playing better, if we need another F to kill penalties, he's definitely the odd man out. I prefer Despres in the lineup next to Tanger, but can't argue with Eaton's success either-so both would be good enough options for me.

Reigning Defending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I still prefer Kunitz with Sid, Bennett or Morrow with Geno, and Dupuis putting that third line over the top.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:31 PM
ss53mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I still prefer Kunitz with Sid, Bennett or Morrow with Geno, and Dupuis putting that third line over the top.

This x 1000. Without going in to to great of detail this would provide both the balance and depth you need to win in the PO's with these small adjustments.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Adams or Kennedy depending on how bad you want a 5th PKing forward. As long as the bottom two lines play defensively responsible, we're going to be able to roll 4 lines, each with a serious scoring threat. Sutter on the 4th line, talk about match up issues. Also, I'd consider those lines 1A, 1B, 3A, 3B.

Letang - Eaton
Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Murray

Let's Go Pens!
Welcome to our dysfunctional family, we're happy to have you!

You're off to a good start with realizing that Bennett should be playing over Glass and TK, but I'll suggest that you get a desk made out of a nice soft wood like cedar for when you beat your head against it when he gets scratched soon. If you have something hard like Oak it could cause some permanent damage!

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Nice first post! Welcome aboard!

I kind of agree with this. Crosby is going to rock and roll with anyone right now but we gotta get Malkin going and the last time we saw that was with the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line.

Only issue I have with this line-up is no Vitale on the 4th line (Cooke-Sutter-Vitale). But then it's tough not to put Adams out there to have on the PK.

Defence is tough. It's like we've got 9 capable D-men but you can only dress 6. Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Murray aren't sitting. I don't want to sit Niskanen or Despres but Eaton has been so solid, and, like Adams, you want him on the PK. That leaves Bortuzzo and Engelland as the odd men out.

Yeah, you're right about depth. From my count we've got 16 able forwards and 9 D.

Forwards:
  1. Sidney Crosby
  2. Evgeni Malkin
  3. Jerome Iginla
  4. James Neal
  5. Chris Kunitz
  6. Pascal Dupuis
  7. Jussi Jokinen
  8. Brendan Morrow
  9. Brandon Sutter
  10. Matt Cooke
  11. Beau Bennett
  12. Joe Vitale
  13. Craig Adams
  14. Tyler Kennedy
  15. Dustin Jeffrey
  16. Tanner Glass

Defense:
  1. Kris Letang
  2. Paul Martin
  3. Brooks Orpik
  4. Douglas Murray
  5. Mark Eaton
  6. Matti Niskanen
  7. Simon Despres
  8. Derek Engelland
  9. Robert Bortuzzo
All of you guys are failing to think of special teams. As Pens fans we should know how important that is..

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
InGENEious

I prefer rich Mahogany to go with my many leather bound books. I'm fully aware that with our full line up DB is going to scratch Bennett and Vitale unless someone goes down. Lord knows he can't have a lineup that doesn't feature his beloved Tanner Glass and Craig Adams. I know Bennett wins board battles and has basically proven himself in his time up with the big club, but out of anyone on our team, I'm most concerned with the beating he might take in the post season.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
useless

Quote:
I prefer rich Mahogany to go with my many leather bound books. I'm fully aware that with our full line up DB is going to scratch Bennett and Vitale unless someone goes down. Lord knows he can't have a lineup that doesn't feature his beloved Tanner Glass and Craig Adams. I know Bennett wins board battles and has basically proven himself in his time up with the big club, but out of anyone on our team, I'm most concerned with the beating he might take in the post season.
With Glass and Adams scratched who do you play on the PK? Also there is something to be said about a guy like Glass who everyone on the team loves for his hard work and energy.

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
With Glass and Adams scratched who do you play on the PK? Also there is something to be said about a guy like Glass who everyone on the team loves for his hard work and energy.
Sutter,Cooke,Dupuis,Jokinen as the main 4, then Crosby, Kunitz

either way its unlikely both Glass and Adams would be scratched, Glass MAYBE, Adams no chance

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Everyone loves him? Says who? He's an obvious scratch

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Karnage420*

Quote:
but he provides no tangible value.

how is our PK doing with him on the ice by the way...yeah...

hes really just not a good hockey player. I'd rather have crosby killing penalties - we'll certainly have less goals against.

Karnage420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

I wish I could have over 2 million dollars handed to me, guaranteed, over two years to try real hard, be well-liked and not have to worry about any ramifications for being awful at my actual job.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I wish I could have over 2 million dollars handed to me, guaranteed, over two years to try real hard, be well-liked and not have to worry about any ramifications for being awful at my actual job.
well said lol

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
InGENEious

Yes Glass and Adams are an integral part of the 25th BEST Penalty Kill in the league. I know Adams doesn't hesitate to sacrifice the body to block a shot, and Glass is a serious hitter, but maybe the PK needs a personnel shake up.