HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
All of you guys are failing to think of special teams. As Pens fans we should know how important that is..
Crosby
Cooke
Sutter
Dupuis
Jokinen
Vitale
Adams
Jeffrey
Glass

are all more than capable of killing penalties. Those top 5 guys will play. After that, any 1 of the others is more than capable of being the 6th PK forward. We are going to be sitting at least two or three penalty killers, and that really isn't a problem. Our top 3 guys are Sutter Cooke and Dupuis. At best, our 4th best PK guy will be sitting if we sit Adams.

Crosby
Malkin
Neal
Kunitz
Iginla
Morrow
Bennett
Jokinen
Dupuis

can all be arranged to make two powerplay units along with some d-men

Quote:
With Glass and Adams scratched who do you play on the PK? Also there is something to be said about a guy like Glass who everyone on the team loves for his hard work and energy.
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis, Vitale, Jokinen, Crosby would be our 6 PK guys. Probably with Kunitz next in line if needed.

And do you think they dislike Vitale and Bennett? Do they not work really hard too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGENEious View Post
Yes Glass and Adams are an integral part of the 25th BEST Penalty Kill in the league. I know Adams doesn't hesitate to sacrifice the body to block a shot, and Glass is a serious hitter, but maybe the PK needs a personnel shake up.
I think its ridiculous that only 1 of our top 4 PK guys is a center. With Jokinen, Sutter, Crosby and Vitale playing, we would never have to worry about a wing taking a draw on the PK. The only reason Glass, Adams, Cooke or Dupuis should take a draw when this team is healthy is if someone gets thrown out of the faceoff.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Crosby
Cooke
Sutter
Dupuis
Jokinen
Vitale
Adams
Jeffrey
Glass

are all more than capable of killing penalties. Those top 5 guys will play. After that, any 1 of the others is more than capable of being the 6th PK forward. We are going to be sitting at least two or three penalty killers, and that really isn't a problem. Our top 3 guys are Sutter Cooke and Dupuis. At best, our 4th best PK guy will be sitting if we sit Adams.

Crosby
Malkin
Neal
Kunitz
Iginla
Morrow
Bennett
Jokinen
Dupuis

can all be arranged to make two powerplay units along with some d-men

Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis, Vitale, Jokinen, Crosby would be our 6 PK guys. Probably with Kunitz next in line if needed.

And do you think they dislike Vitale and Bennett? Do they not work really hard too?

I think its ridiculous that only 1 of our top 4 PK guys is a center. With Jokinen, Sutter, Crosby and Vitale playing, we would never have to worry about a wing taking a draw on the PK. The only reason Glass, Adams, Cooke or Dupuis should take a draw when this team is healthy is if someone gets thrown out of the faceoff.
With Crosby and Jokinen putting time on the pk how do you see the player icetime distribution shaking out? Also how much time do you see a fourth line getting in a game if they arent the pk'ers?

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
With Crosby and Jokinen putting time on the pk how do you see the player icetime distribution shaking out? Also how much time do you see a fourth line getting in a game if they arent the pk'ers?
The 4th line would be PKers still. Sid would be the only PKer in the top 6 if I made the lines. I've also said on a few occasions that I'd probably have Adams in my lines.

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Bennett/Morrow - Geno - Neal
Bennett/Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams/Vitale/TK

And like I said, switch Dupuis with Adams or whoever that wing is if you want to switch the 3rd and 4th lines. It would depend on if we needed to score more or shut someone down more. But everyone in that bottom 6 kills penalties except the Bennett/Morrow combo. Who would both be on the 2nd PP, and who I would have rotate on occasion to keep Morrow's minutes somewhere between typical 2nd and 3rd lines.

Sid's already on the PK, so I don't see how that is much of a question. Jokinen would be a bottom 6 center playing bottom 6 minutes with an occasional shift with Geno if the faceoff was really important. Also, the third and 4th liners would see some time with Sid and Geno double shifts. Instead of a Sid double shift including Adams and Glass, it could be Dupuis and Cooke or Morrow and Jokinen or Bennett and Sutter.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
useless

Quote:
The 4th line would be PKers still. Sid would be the only PKer in the top 6 if I made the lines. I've also said on a few occasions that I'd probably have Adams in my lines.

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Bennett/Morrow - Geno - Neal
Bennett/Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams/Vitale/TK

And like I said, switch Dupuis with Adams or whoever that wing is if you want to switch the 3rd and 4th lines. It would depend on if we needed to score more or shut someone down more. But everyone in that bottom 6 kills penalties except the Bennett/Morrow combo. Who would both be on the 2nd PP, and who I would have rotate on occasion to keep Morrow's minutes somewhere between typical 2nd and 3rd lines.
Lines look good. Man this team is deep...

Old
04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Adams/Vitale-Kennedy

Personally I can't think of any team in the league (outside of Chicago) that could be able to adequately defend against a team that can roll 4 lines with that much talent on it. Our 4th line even has potential to do damage! I'm also cringing at the idea of having to scratch Bennett, which in my opinion would be an absolute crime considering how awesome he's been playing!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
it really is. We have 11 guys I'd be perfectly comfortable with in our top 9. I see TK as the guy who loses a spot because he doesn't bring much to special teams.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
MtlPenFan

I think I've mentioned it before, but I made one half assed attempt at putting lines together, and for the first time since the lockout, I'm not satisfied with ANY of them because I'm forced to sit guys I believe should be playing.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
it really is. We have 11 guys I'd be perfectly comfortable with in our top 9. I see TK as the guy who loses a spot because he doesn't bring much to special teams.
The thing is though that TK has been playing some great hockey lately and is known to really elevate his game in the post-season. I really wouldn't be too quick to write him off just yet.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Deepest it's been since the early 90's, no question.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
useless

Would it not be kosher to not dress Morrow?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
mpp9

Kunitz, Dupuis, Iggy and Neal are our top 6 wingers IMO. As great as Dupuis would be with Sutter, no way does he get bumped down.

Morrow and Cooke flanking Sutter is quite a third line. Speed may be an issue, but I'm willing to try it out.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
You better be joking.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AgentM

Quote:
He's played great the past two games and is built for playoff hockey so I can't imagine he sits unless the wheels completely fall off in the next few weeks.

If I had to guess I'd say this is how Bylsma sees things:

Play if healthy: Sid, Geno, Iginla, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Sutter, Morrow, Cooke, Adams, Glass

On the fence: Jokinen, TK

Play if someone else is hurt: Bennett, Vitale, Jeffrey

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I made the prediction the other day that if Jussi doesn't have more than an assist in this last 2-3 games of the season that'll give Bylsma all the excuse he needs to scratch him and play Glass. Maybe I'm exaggerating but even if I am I'd still say I'm 70% confident this statement is true.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Waffle Fries

Article on NHL.com about Bennett.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:
"Beau's played a lot of games for us, he's playing in different types of games, he's played in big games, he's played on the second line and the fourth line in those games," Bylsma said after the morning skate in advance of a game against the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday night. "And I'm comfortable with him and the rookies we have stepping in and being able to contribute in whatever situation may arise down the road."
Quote:
"He's definitely fitting in right now," said Dupuis, who is Pittsburgh's top-line right wing when all players are healthy. "He's a great hockey player, a good kid and he's doing his part making his fair share of plays out there. He's making plays with the puck, and he's playing physical right now, which is great. And his confidence is a big plus on our team, that's for sure."
Quote:
Players who were taken higher in the draft than Bennett and who quickly established themselves as valuable NHL players, Jason Spezza and Tyler Seguin, were healthy scratches during their first postseasons when coaches didn't feel comfortable with inexperienced play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bylsma denies that will be the case with Bennett, although it should be noted that if the Penguins are completely healthy, there is a glut of forwards from which to choose
. Bylsma cited Bennett's performance in some of the regular-season's highest-profile moments as proof he is ready for the big time.

"At a certain point in time, you're in hockey games where you're looking at that type of performance before the playoffs come, whether it be a big rivalry game or a big game in New York or whatever the situation," Bylsma said. "If you're talking about scooping a rookie out of the sky and dropping him in for his first pro game, that's something different."
Quote:
"Beau's more mature than people think on the ice," Letang said. "He never takes stupid chances or anything like that. He's really careful with the puck -- when he sees he's got nothing, he's not going to try to [force] stuff, he's just going to make the simple play. But when he's got a chance to prove he can do what he can with his talent, he does really well, actually. He's been playing really well for us."

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Malkin112

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=666106&print=true

Dupuis credits Crosby for helping him build that confidence throughout this season, but he worried it would take a hit after the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla because he wondered if Iginla was brought in to take his role as the right wing on Crosby's line.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma quickly eliminated that concern.

"The same day we acquired Jarome, I got pulled aside and he said, 'I know you saw who we acquired and it is nothing against you and it's not going to work against you. You're still Sid's linemate,'" Dupuis said. "He mentioned it to the media right away too. That was really big, knowing that an all-star player and a known goal-scorer like Iggy was coming on our team and they were still going to leave me there."

Dupuis said he expects to be Crosby's linemate whenever the Penguins captain returns.

Pretty sure these are final line combos:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

Last edited by Malkin112: 04-17-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: line combos
Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I'm going to stop talking about lines. Dan Bylsma can use whatever lines he wants. If they fail to win the Cup using his lines, he needs to be fired immediately.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
stefanh

What about making the lines that would help us win the most?

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams

Orpik - Martin
Eaton - Letang
Murray - Niskanen

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

I'm going to rip off Seth Meyers on SNL and do my own "Really?!?" with Hedberg1.

Really Dan? You acquire a hall of fame right winger and you won't pull Pascal ****ing Dupuis off of Crosby's line because of "chemistry"? Really? Well he's looked pretty damn good with whoever he's played with, so maybe chemistry isn't that big of a deal after all. And even if they did have "chemistry", do you really think it would be that much better than Crosby and Jarome effing Iginla together? Really? And now, you are probably going to play him on his off wing, a place where he's never played and showed obvious struggles when placed there after he came here? Really Bylsma?

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post

Pretty sure these are final line combos:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

Yeah I'm pretty certain that's what Bylsma is going to go with too, that doesn't mean I like it.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
mpp9

Geno needs Kunitz more than Sid does. Do the right thing Dan.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Waffle Fries

If Iginla-Malkin-Neal is a line in the playoffs, we won't make it past the second round. The first round will even be a struggle since we'll have one competent line.

If Pascal Dupuis REALLY has to be on a line with Sid then at least make it
Dupuis-Sid-Iggy
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Maybe it could be:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Yeah, what waffle fries said.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm going to stop talking about lines. Dan Bylsma can use whatever lines he wants. If they fail to win the Cup using his lines, he needs to be fired immediately.
this is basically how i feel. i'm downright fatigued when it comes to thinking about lines. not only will i refrain from predicting any lines but i'm going to withhold the snark as well. it's Bylsma's roster now, he has everything he could ever want from hungry legends to eager hard-working rookies - it's basically all on him now.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Maybe it could be:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Yeah, what waffle fries said.
I hope so.