HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-27-2013, 10:50 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Kennedy with 11:04 ice time tonight. I think he's the first to go. The fact that Bylsma is trying a ton of people on the PK not named Tanner Glass makes me think he's next.

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

It's gonna happen, we just have to believe
I think there's a shot at the first three, which is more than I thought this morning. Kunitz-Geno-Neal really threw a monkey wrench into Bylsma's master plan today.

I think that the fourth line is wishful thinking, which is a shame because imagine the possibilities of Bennett-Jokinen-Adams in terms of sneaking Sid or Geno out there for Adams for some shifts.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:54 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think there's a shot at the first three, which is more than I thought this morning. Kunitz-Geno-Neal really threw a monkey wrench into Bylsma's master plan today.

I think that the fourth line is wishful thinking, which is a shame because imagine the possibilities of Bennett-Jokinen-Adams in terms of sneaking Sid or Geno out there for Adams for some shifts.
How about this?

Bylsma didn't want to show his hand to anyone, so when Sid comes back, he doesn't play Glass and goes with a Bennett-Jokinen-Adams fourth line.

No team has seen these lineups all year because the lineups have never happened. It makes any team have to adjust to something they have never seen before.

The Playoffs are a whole new ballgame.

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
How about this?

Bylsma didn't want to show his hand to anyone, so when Sid comes back, he doesn't play Glass and goes with a Bennett-Jokinen-Adams fourth line.

No team has seen these lineups all year because the lineups have never happened. It makes any team have to adjust to something they have never seen before.

Well, then according to that theory about not wanting to tip a hand, that means we will NOT see Dupuis-Sid-Iggy and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal, since he tipped those hands tonight.

I think it's a little more logical to just think that it will be Glass-Jokinen-Adams when Sid returns. I'm hoping for Bennett for Glass. With Glass being phased off as big a PK role, it's possible. But, I'm not holding my breath. ****, even after tonight, I'm still leaning towards thinking Bylsma goes with Iggy-Geno-Neal when Sid returns.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:59 PM
LetangyBarbecue

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbObubq88Q

LetangyBarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Well, then according to that theory about not wanting to tip a hand, that means we will NOT see Dupuis-Sid-Iggy and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal, since he tipped those hands tonight.

I think it's a little more logical to just think that it will be Glass-Jokinen-Adams when Sid returns. I'm hoping for Bennett for Glass. With Glass being phased off as big a PK role, it's possible. But, I'm not holding my breath. ****, even after tonight, I'm still leaning towards thinking Bylsma goes with Iggy-Geno-Neal when Sid returns.
I didn't mean every line had to change, but in any event the Dupuis-Sid-Iggy line has not played together yet.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

I know it is wishful thinking, but Dan has shown a willingness to limit the roles of both Kennedy and Glass the past week or so. Kennedy was even scratched a game, Glass is no longer seeing PK time.

Not disagreeing with the wishful thinking part, but just for the sake of conversation, which do you think he will sit? And if Bennett playing is 100% not a possibility, which do you prefer he sit?

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I didn't mean every line had to change, but in any event the Dupuis-Sid-Iggy line has not played together yet.
I don't know. There are a number of explanations for why Glass and Kennedy played instead of Bennett, the most logical being that they are ahead of Bennett in Bylsma's mind to start the playoffs. Perhaps Bylsma does go with Bennett before both of them. I just doubt that it's because he didn't want to tip his hand about what his fourth line might be.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I know it is wishful thinking, but Dan has shown a willingness to limit the roles of both Kennedy and Glass the past week or so. Kennedy was even scratched a game, Glass is no longer seeing PK time.

Not disagreeing with the wishful thinking part, but just for the sake of conversation, which do you think he will sit? And if Bennett playing is 100% not a possibility, which do you prefer he sit?
I sit Kennedy. At least I know that he'll limit the minutes for Glass more.

And, I'm still hopeful that he surprises us when all is said and done.

It's just that I expending all of my hope on his noticing that Geno-Neal tonight with Kunitz were every bit as good as Sid-Duper have been with Kunitz all season.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:11 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:

Unfortunatly, I think Glass is going to play instead of Bennett or Kennedy if Sid comes back to start the playoffs. Glass has played every game this season. I think it is the wrong decision.

I think it should be Bennett over Kennedy and Glass. I think Bylsma is ranking them as Glass, TK, then Bennett for playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Unfortunatly, I think Glass is going to play instead of Bennett or Kennedy if Sid comes back to start the playoffs. Glass has played every game this season. I think it is the wrong decision.

I think it should be Bennett over Kennedy and Glass. I think Bylsma is ranking them as Glass, TK, then Bennett for playoffs.
Agreed.

So what you posted above then was your playing devil's advocate, trying to justify what really is just a hope that Bennett plays over Glass/TK?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I sit Kennedy. At least I know that he'll limit the minutes for Glass more.

And, I'm still hopeful that he surprises us when all is said and done.

It's just that I expending all of my hope on his noticing that Geno-Neal tonight with Kunitz were every bit as good as Sid-Duper have been with Kunitz all season.
I'd have to agree. I sit Kennedy first. Glass's hits may not have too much impact, but at least there's something we can say he brings.

I'm hopeful as well. Instead of the 'playing his hand' theory as the reason behind Kennedy playing, I'm going with the 'let's be nice to TK and let him play his last Penguins home game ever' theory.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I'd have to agree. I sit Kennedy first. Glass's hits may not have too much impact, but at least there's something we can say he brings.

I'm hopeful as well. Instead of the 'playing his hand' theory as the reason behind Kennedy playing, I'm going with the 'let's be nice to TK and let him play his last Penguins home game ever' theory.
I actually think that was the case tonight. BUT, if Sid can't go in game one, I wonder if DB will have the balls/smarts to go with Glass-Adams-Bennett.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Agreed.

So what you posted above then was your playing devil's advocate, trying to justify what really is just a hope that Bennett plays over Glass/TK?
It is. I am hopeful that Bylsma has more balls than I think he does, and especially if Sid does start the playoffs that the lines are:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla Or (even Iginla-Crosby-Dupuis if DB forces it)
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

But I think Bylsma will do this:
Iginla-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

OR (please Nooooooo!)
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

Old
04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
It is. I am hopeful that Bylsma has more balls than I think he does, and especially if Sid does start the playoffs that the lines are:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla Or (even Iginla-Crosby-Dupuis if DB forces it)
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

But I think Bylsma will do this:
Iginla-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

OR (please Nooooooo!)
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams
I love your preferred playoff lines.

I can live with your first suggestion for what Bylsma will do.

Your second suggestion for Bylsma's plan-- what I still think, until further notice, that Bylsma is more likely to do-- will do far more to slow down the Pens in round one than the Isles or Sens will.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Jacob

It won't happen but if it came down to it, I'd play Glass over Adams. He's a little faster and a lot more physical, and they're both equally garbage with the puck.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
I love your preferred playoff lines.

I can live with your first suggestion for what Bylsma will do.

Your second suggestion for Bylsma's plan-- what I still think, until further notice, that Bylsma is more likely to do-- will do far more to slow down the Pens in round one than the Isles or Sens will.
I hope we play the Isles, the Sens still didn't get revenge for what Cooke didn't do, so I don't like that situation going into the first round of the playoffs.

With that said, I hope the Pens are mostly healthy and play well - that should lead to a victory in a seven game series against the Isles or the Sens.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Waffle Fries

Does anyone know if they practice tomorrow? I feel like at the next practice we should have a better idea of what Dan's plan is

Old
04-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

My ES lines are similar to everyone else's:

Dupuis-Sid-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams (Double shifting Sid and Geno for Adams on most ES shifts).
Vitale-Glass-Jeffrey-Kennedy-MacIntyre<--- order in which they should play if needed.

Eaton-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Murray-Niskanen
Despres
Engelland-Bortuzzo

PK forwards (in order of ice time): Adams, Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis, Jokinen, Kunitz/Sid/Morrow

PP1:
Iginla-Crosby-Neal
Letang-Malkin

PP2:
Bennett-Jokinen-Kunitz
Niskanen-Martin

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Iginla-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

Quote:
OR (please Nooooooo!)
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Another reason that Bennett should be in for Glass is it's a better use of Jokinen's talents.

With Glass and Adams flanking him, that line's pretty much a non-factor offensively. And Jokinen's not really the crash-and-bang type of player to make that an all out energy line.

With Bennett and Adams flanking him, the 4th line will actually be a threat when they're on the ice. Both Bennett and Jokinen are more than capable of creating offense. So having them as the fourth line literally gives the Pens 4 lines that are a threat to score.

That, along with keeping Kunitz with Geno and Neal and putting Iggy with Crosby and Dupuis, are the three most obvious decisions for Bylsma to make.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Waffle Fries

I've been looking for this article for a couple days and I finally found it.

The article is primarily about who will play left wing with x-Malkin-Neal at the beginning of the season. At the time, it was Tangradi, but Neal always wanted to play with Kunitz.

Quote:
Coach Dan Bylsma said after practice Sunday that Eric Tangradi, a budding power forward, will join Malkin and Neal at practice today.

Before Neal heard that news, he extolled the play of Kunitz, who had 26 goals and 61 points last season.

"[Kunitz] brings everything," Neal said of the hard-working veteran. "He hits. Skates. Shoots. Scores. Fights. If you were going to make a hockey player, you might make a Chris Kunitz.

"Those are tough hockey players to find, who have all those abilities, but we've got some capable guys."
You would think that someone who is touted as a 'players' coach would be more willing to listen to who his players want to play with.

And I find this part of the article ironic considering everything that happened this year:
Quote:
Neal is behind on that count, but he figures he and Malkin will pick up where they left off pretty quickly and Tangradi or whoever ends up with them on that line will feel comfortable right away.

"With the chemistry that [Malkin] and I have, hopefully we can work someone into that," Neal said. "We'll have to adjust, work together and get some chemistry right off the bat because there's no time to be wasted, that's for sure."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...season-670326/

Old
04-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
How about this?

Well either Bylsma is a zen master coach playing chess mind games on multiple boards at the same time with the rest of the league.

Or he is a stubborn ******* who does not like to admit that he is wrong so sticks to lines that obviously do not work, or players who do not work, much longer than he should.

Maybe we should make a poll to see what most here think.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:45 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
I've been looking for this article for a couple days and I finally found it.

The article is primarily about who will play left wing with x-Malkin-Neal at the beginning of the season. At the time, it was Tangradi, but Neal always wanted to play with Kunitz.

You would think that someone who is touted as a 'players' coach would be more willing to listen to who his players want to play with.

And I find this part of the article ironic considering everything that happened this year:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...season-670326/
Well keep in mind, Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis was the best line in hockey (even more dominant, in my mind, than KMN) and at the time, moving Kunitz to Malkin's line would have meant a Crosby line of Tangradi/Cooke/Kennedy/Glass - Crosby - Dupuis.

The errors started around Bennett, though. I don't know why they were so desperate to get him off of the 2nd line. And from there it was all downhill. Bennett had solved the revolving door issue, but they just started it up again by plugging Morrow and Iginla there.

Crosby's injury likely ****ed up a lot of their plans.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:54 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

PP1:
Iginla-Crosby-Neal
Martin-Malkin

I know this won't happen but it should.
Theres a few pluses for Letang being there, his soft pass to Iggy for the one timer and it's another right handed shot and his skating ability if a shorthanded chance goes back the other way but Letang has been very mediocre with zone entries and he's coughed up the puck more often then not when he runs out of options and tries to pass through sticks.

Martin would be better for zone entries, a better distributer of the puck and as long as his hand keeps healing to 100%, their shot comparison is a wash.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Well keep in mind, Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis was the best line in hockey (even more dominant, in my mind, than KMN) and at the time, moving Kunitz to Malkin's line would have meant a Crosby line of Tangradi/Cooke/Kennedy/Glass - Crosby - Dupuis.

The errors started around Bennett, though. I don't know why they were so desperate to get him off of the 2nd line. And from there it was all downhill. Bennett had solved the revolving door issue, but they just started it up again by plugging Morrow and Iginla there.

Crosby's injury likely ****ed up a lot of their plans.
Well at the beginning of the season, giving Kunitz to Sid was 100% the right thing to do. But I was more referring to now, since I'm pretty sure Neal's opinions of Kunitz haven't changed. They obviously enjoy playing together, as Neal was talking about Kunitz's role in his goals during his post game interview. It's also foolish to think that Iggy wanted to play with anyone other than Sid. So why not just make everyone happy, and the best possible lines (that include Dupuis in the top six) in the process?

As far as Bennett goes, I personally would have preferred giving him a roster spot right out of camp. Yeah, yeah Tangradi needed a chance and all of that.

The revolving door issue restarted because of Malkin's concussion though. Dan wasn't prepared for Bennett to play in the top six without Malkin, so he was moved all around. It's the ultimate 'what if' scenario if Malkin never got hurt. If Malkin never got hurt would Bennett-Malkin-Neal have kept producing? If Bennett-Malkin-Neal kept producing does Shero feel our top six is set and never end up getting Iggy? I don't really know.