HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Merc29
Sid ney Cr os by

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Guess I could live with it...but the dpairings would be:

Letang-Eaton
Martin-Orpik
Nisky-Murray

I have seriously zero faith in Bylsma to put together the most effect lines. I'm still expecting:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-TK

Scratchs for Jokinen, Bennett, Jeffrey
What if DB asked Sid what he wanted? What if Sid told him don't fix something that isn't broken. It not like Dupuis and Kunitz were holding Sid back, that line was that hottest in the league. Now you have Iginla, who isn't a shut down third line guy. That what Morrow - Sutter - Cooke are and are really effective together. So we going to put him on the 4th line so that Bennett can play on Malkin's wing? No. Neal and Iginla can switch RW and LW to which ever feels comfortable.

To say he won't use his lines effectively is a reach. We're lucky to have a problem like this.

Merc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Honestly Sid just runs **** when he's on the ice, I could see him making Iggy on the left side work even if it's ********.
As much as I hate Iggy as a left wing, I think you might be right

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post
What if DB asked Sid what he wanted? What if Sid told him don't fix something that isn't broken. It not like Dupuis and Kunitz were holding Sid back, that line was that hottest in the league. Now you have Iginla, who isn't a shut down third line guy. That what Morrow - Sutter - Cooke are and are really effective together. So we going to put him on the 4th line so that Bennett can play on Malkin's wing? No. Neal and Iginla can switch RW and LW to which ever feels comfortable.

To say he won't use his lines effectively is a reach. We're lucky to have a problem like this.
Geno has looked his best with a strong forechecker on his LW. Kunitz fills that role. And the line of KMN is proven. We need Geno going if we want to go deep this postseason.

Dupuis is the first guy in on the forecheck with Sid/Iggy. He's perfect for that role. Sid controls the play down low and finds Iggy for one timers.

It makes too much sense.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post

Iggy being on LW is not the biggest problem with an Iginla - Malkin - Neal line.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

We all know its true...but still...why have Iginla at LW when he's been a RW his whole career?

Its like buying a Porsche and installing a governor regulating it to 65mph.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Geno has looked his best with a strong forechecker on his LW. Kunitz fills that role. And the line of KMN is proven. We need Geno going if we want to go deep this postseason.

Dupuis is the first guy in on the forecheck with Sid/Iggy. He's perfect for that role. Sid controls the play down low and finds Iggy for one timers.

It makes too much sense.
Sid will be the first guy on the forecheck...

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
the key is that Iginla won't be.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
You get the point.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Not Growing a Garden

I'm telling you guys, the best course of action is to go with three top lines that will make matching up a nightmare

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Bennett/Cooke-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Juice-Iggy

Things to like about this:

1. Everyone plays their own position, rather than being moved to a different wing, etc
2. Top two lines have a superstar and at least one sidecar. Third line has two former captains and chemistry
3. Spreading the wealth so that other teams that put out their "shutdown line" on one line still have to find a way to deal with two other lines capable of taking over a game

People that will disagree with this need to let go of the theory that Iggy "must" play with Sid/Geno. That's what the PP is for

You want to go top heavy or balanced all throughout? My vote is for three lines worth of holy @$#!

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
I'm telling you guys, the best course of action is to go with three top lines that will make matching up a nightmare

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Bennett/Cooke-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Juice-Iggy

1. Everyone plays their own position, rather than being moved to a different wing, etc
2. Top two lines have a superstar and at least one sidecar. Third line has two former captains and chemistry
3. Spreading the wealth so that other teams that put out their "shutdown line" on one line still have to find a way to deal with two other lines capable of taking over a game

People that will disagree with this need to let go of the theory that Iggy "must" play with Sid/Geno. That's what the PP is for

You want to go top heavy or balanced all throughout? My vote is for three lines worth of holy @$#!
If that's the goal, switch Dupuis and Iginla imo. That third line is slow and could really use Dupuis.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Bennett/Cooke-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Juice-Iggy

The only holy **** about that is the fact that Iginla is on the third line.

Swap Iggy and Dupuis and you're fine, though.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:23 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Not Growing a Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If that's the goal, switch Dupuis and Iginla imo. That third line is slow and could really use Dupuis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
The only holy **** about that is the fact that Iginla is on the third line.

Swap Iggy and Dupuis and you're fine, though.
Fine then. Iggy with Sid

Make me coach and we all win.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:32 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Fine then. Iggy with Sid

Make me coach and we all win.
People have been suggesting that lineup for weeks.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

But I think that it's very clear from the lines Bylsma has used the past few games that it's going to be

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett/Glass/Kennedy-Jokinen-Adams

Probably the bigger question in my mind is what the defense pairings look like if Orpik is out.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Master Shake*

Quote:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Bennett/Cooke-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Juice-Iggy

Actually I like those lines.

4th Cooke jok adams

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
People have been suggesting that lineup for weeks.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

But I think that it's very clear from the lines Bylsma has used the past few games that it's going to be

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett/Glass/Kennedy-Jokinen-Adams

Probably the bigger question in my mind is what the defense pairings look like if Orpik is out.
Yupp. The first lineup is the dream. The second lineup is the best we can hope for since Dupuis won't be moved out of the top six. And after seeing KMN reunited yesterday, I have no complaints with it at all.

As far as defensive pairings sans Orpik, I'd have to assume that it would pretty much be what we saw against Carolina. With Despres, Bortuzzo, and Engelland rotating.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:21 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Indeed. The way Crosby is playing right now, I think that line will produce no matter what (a line of Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla).

Dupuis and Crosby have played enough together to put some offense together. Iginla has a high enough IQ to slide in as the 3rd man while they get used to each other.

Even Neal-Malkin-Iginla didn't look awful. The skill alone made the line passable. Not optimal for sure, but passable. Problem is, Iginla and Malkin play different games. Sid and Iginla play more similar games which makes me think Iginla will have an easier time adjusting to Sid than Geno.

Neal is just along for the ride with Malkin. Get into a favorable position, get the puck, shoot. Pretty easy for Neal to be effective with Malkin.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal already works. Having that line go against a 2nd pairing will be awesome. Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla will produce...and only get better as they get used to each other, IMHO. Not a question of if...but when.
I don't think that Iginla and Malkin play different game. There was a different problem with this line: too many snipers and lack of grinders. Frankly, if it was my will I would have put Kunitz-Malkin-Iginla together. But as long as Neal doesn't click with Sid well, I assume pair Malkin-Neal set in stone if both are healthy.
I'm sure Duper-Sid-Iggy will need little time to find chemistry.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

FYI - Here are today's practice lines. (Of course this may have no bearing on what the lineup will actually be).

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins practice lines Kunitz-Malkin-Neal Dupuis-Jokinen-Iginla Morrow-Sutter-Cooke Jeffrey-Adams-Kennedy/Bennett Jeffrey-Crosby-Vitale

Edit: looks like when Sid comes back it would be Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla (in the right spot!).

MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Human
cynic

yeah, just saw that. what the hell I will complain about now?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:35 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeticulouslyDishevel View Post
Edit: looks like when Sid comes back it would be Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla (in the right spot!).
proof Bylsma reads these boards?!!!

Why isn't Sid practicing?

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
wej20

Good.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:37 PM
SteelFish87*

what will our 4th line be? Adams - Jokinen - Bennett

me like

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
proof Bylsma reads these boards?!!!

Why isn't Sid practicing?
he is, he was skating between Jeffrey and Vitale on a "5th" line. don't know what that means though.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Dupree13

Still think Jussi ought to get that spot on the 3rd line over Cooke. He's just been way too good and brings more to the table at five on five.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Still think Jussi ought to get that spot on the 3rd line over Cooke. He's just been way too good and brings more to the table at five on five.
Cooke is much better defensively and more physical.

No way should he be demoted because JJ is on one of his famous streaks.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Cooke is much better defensively and more physical.

No way should he be demoted because JJ is on one of his famous streaks.
But it's not like Jussi is a soft floater, and that line will have Morrow there. The offensive upgrade that Jokinen brings over Cooke should see him on the third line, imo.

Either way, a guy undeserving of demotion has to get bumped to the 4th line.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote