HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
  #751
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Cooke is much better defensively and more physical.

No way should he be demoted because JJ is on one of his famous streaks.
But it's not like Jussi is a soft floater, and that line will have Morrow there. The offensive upgrade that Jokinen brings over Cooke should see him on the third line, imo.

Either way, a guy undeserving of demotion has to get bumped to the 4th line.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
  #752
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Cooke has been surprisingly effective 5 on 5 in terms of scoring this season (I had to triple-check the numbers). JJ on the fourth is the best option for now.

I'm mostly worried about the PK. I knew there would be at least a moderate dropoff, but instead we nosedived to 25th overall. I don't think we have improved with Murray either. Maybe Martin will be our savior here? We're terrible.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
  #753
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Jokinen can be the X factor guy. Play him at 4th line center (or wing and take faceoffs), play him 2nd PP, PK, and throw him a few extra shifts up and down the lineup. Double shift Sid or Geno on the 4th line, with Jokinen it's now a 2nd line. You really can't screw up where to put Jokinen because he is so versatile.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
  #754
radapex
Registered User
 
radapex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada, Eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,142
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
proof Bylsma reads these boards?!!!

Why isn't Sid practicing?
He was at practice, just not on a regular line.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:22 PM
  #755
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I'm mostly worried about the PK. I knew there would be at least a moderate dropoff, but instead we nosedived to 25th overall. I don't think we have improved with Murray either. Maybe Martin will be our savior here? We're terrible.
Yes, that is my biggest worry as well down the road (shouldn't matter much against the Islanders).

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
  #756
GermanTitov
Registered User
 
GermanTitov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Anyone else thing the bottom six should look like this?

Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy/Glass

The way Jokinen has played so far i think itd be a shame to put him on the 4th line.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  #757
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Someone needs to tell Shelley Anderson that Tanner Glass has been wearing number 15 for about 2 months now, not Jeffrey.

I don't expect anything from the Pens media crew, but at least get the names/numbers right when you throw out lines. I know it's asking a lot. Made me think Glass might actually not play for a second until I checked another source.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
  #758
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
Anyone else thing the bottom six should look like this?

Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy/Glass

The way Jokinen has played so far i think itd be a shame to put him on the 4th line.
Nah. They should look like

Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

and then have Crosby and Malkin double shift with Bennett and Jokinen.

If this happens, then it's not much of a 'fourth line' at all.

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
  #759
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Nah. They should look like

Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams

and then have Crosby and Malkin double shift with Bennett and Jokinen.

If this happens, then it's not much of a 'fourth line' at all.
They probably should be Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett and Cooke-Sutter-Adams, but this is as likely as your prediction. I believe Glass as a HS when I see it.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:43 PM
  #760
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Bleh, still can't get over the GAK line being the likely option for Game 1 after seeing the line combos today. Over/under on how many shifts they spend hemmed up in their own end until DB decides to switch it up?

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  #761
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Bleh, still can't get over the GAK line being the likely option for Game 1 after seeing the line combos today. Over/under on how many shifts they spend hemmed up in their own end until DB decides to switch it up?
i think the GAK line can stick around and slime their way into the corners.


Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #762
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i think the GAK line can stick around and slime their way into the corners.

Seeing that made me remember how bad GAK used to smell. Then I google'd gak smell, and holy **** at the 2nd result. gak smell is now a must search for anyone looking for a cheap laugh

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #763
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Seeing that made me remember how bad GAK used to smell. Then I google'd gak smell, and holy **** at the 2nd result. gak smell is now a must search for anyone looking for a cheap laugh
that was a pro-tip. i'm laughing my ass off.

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #764
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
They probably should be Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett and Cooke-Sutter-Adams, but this is as likely as your prediction. I believe Glass as a HS when I see it.
Well that's what I'd prefer as well. But I think the only chance Bennett has is getting on the fourth line (and it's still pretty darn small).

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
  #765
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,616
vCash: 500
We just have too many good hockey players. At least we have some good insurance if someone goes down.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
  #766
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
But it's not like Jussi is a soft floater, and that line will have Morrow there. The offensive upgrade that Jokinen brings over Cooke should see him on the third line, imo.

Either way, a guy undeserving of demotion has to get bumped to the 4th line.
I could make a case for JJ over Cooke I suppose, but I prefer Cooke's defensive game by a wide margin to JJ.

I think JJ is barely avg defensively.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
  #767
steveg
Registered User
 
steveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norman, OK
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Some thoughts.

I have been looking at DB's lines/use of personnel in the last several games, and I think we have a chance of seeing this:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams


Reasons I say this -- DB has been using multiple PK options the last several, which to me signals Glass as a scratch. Kennedy has been abysmal, and DB actually benched him one game. Bennett has seen his ice time not only increase as of late (aside from the healthy scratch the other day???), but has also seen extensive time on the power play.

I believe DB intends to use BB, even on the 2nd PP unit.
I believe DB will keep Adams in for defensive/PK responsibilities.
I believe DB will keep Jokinen in; he's been far too good to scratch.

SO -- I think there's a shot at seeing the above lineup.

It is NOT what I would configure; my lineup would be EITHER

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

OR

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

But, if Sid/Geno will be double-shifting onto the 4th line, then running a 4th line of Bennett-Jokinen-Adams makes sense. As others have noted, think of a 4th line of Bennett-Malkin-Jokinen, with Jokinen taking faceoffs...WOW.

Bottom line, if DB uses the lineup I'm surmising, that I have in bold up top, then I will be both pleasantly surprised, and completely OK with it.

The order of the bottom forwards into the lineup for injuries or just a change-up, should be (IMO) Vitale, then Kennedy (to see if he can add a spark as he used to be capable of!), then Jeffrey, and lastly, Glass (unless Iceburgh is available that night... )

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
  #768
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
But it's not like Jussi is a soft floater, and that line will have Morrow there. The offensive upgrade that Jokinen brings over Cooke should see him on the third line, imo.

Either way, a guy undeserving of demotion has to get bumped to the 4th line.
I'd bump Jussi before Cooke just because Jussi has more value as a sort of flex player. That's honestly how I expect our fourth line to be used. I don't expect to see us roll our fourth line intact more than 2 or 3 times a period max. Taking the 3rd line winger to take a draw for Geno or to fill in after a double shift will cause a lot more problems with the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
They probably should be Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett and Cooke-Sutter-Adams, but this is as likely as your prediction. I believe Glass as a HS when I see it.
this makes sense if we plan to roll 4 lines. I hope we don't roll 4 lines. Rolling 4 lines means Geno and Sid end up playing less. Use Bennett and Jokinen more as flex guys than as a 4th line. Cooke doesn't fill that flex role nearly as well as Jussi does. Then again, this requires creative bench management. I might be overthinking things.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
  #769
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
They probably should be Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett and Cooke-Sutter-Adams, but this is as likely as your prediction. I believe Glass as a HS when I see it.
yes sir, that would definitely be my bottom six too. makes all the sense in the world just like the Dupuis/Sid/Iggy and Kunitz/Geno/Neal top six. I'd kill to see that line-up these playoffs.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
  #770
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
“I think in the last ten games, last five in particular, we’ve experimented with different line combinations for specific reasons. With the thought in mind that this is what the lineup might be, this is what the lineup could be, this is what it could be game one, game two, game three. To have and to put people in spots so we can have the best chance to have success. So we’ve had those thoughts in mind. I have talked about some things in the past couple months. I am not currently going to be talking about those thoughts right now with you, in terms of what our thoughts are for the lines and the lineup, and what it might be for game one or game two circumstances. But we’re gonna be putting people in the situation with the linemates and spots where we think we have the best chance to have success as a group.” ~HCDB

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
  #771
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Some thoughts.

I have been looking at DB's lines/use of personnel in the last several games, and I think we have a chance of seeing this:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams


Reasons I say this -- DB has been using multiple PK options the last several, which to me signals Glass as a scratch. Kennedy has been abysmal, and DB actually benched him one game. Bennett has seen his ice time not only increase as of late (aside from the healthy scratch the other day???), but has also seen extensive time on the power play.

I believe DB intends to use BB, even on the 2nd PP unit.
I believe DB will keep Adams in for defensive/PK responsibilities.
I believe DB will keep Jokinen in; he's been far too good to scratch.

SO -- I think there's a shot at seeing the above lineup.

It is NOT what I would configure; my lineup would be EITHER

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

OR

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

But, if Sid/Geno will be double-shifting onto the 4th line, then running a 4th line of Bennett-Jokinen-Adams makes sense. As others have noted, think of a 4th line of Bennett-Malkin-Jokinen, with Jokinen taking faceoffs...WOW.

Bottom line, if DB uses the lineup I'm surmising, that I have in bold up top, then I will be both pleasantly surprised, and completely OK with it.

The order of the bottom forwards into the lineup for injuries or just a change-up, should be (IMO) Vitale, then Kennedy (to see if he can add a spark as he used to be capable of!), then Jeffrey, and lastly, Glass (unless Iceburgh is available that night... )
It's been mentioned that BB like most rookies has never played this many games in a year. I'm going to assume, until DB disappoints me, that is was just a rest.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  #772
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Seeing that made me remember how bad GAK used to smell. Then I google'd gak smell, and holy **** at the 2nd result. gak smell is now a must search for anyone looking for a cheap laugh
That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Haha

OnMyOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  #773
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Geno has looked his best with a strong forechecker on his LW. Kunitz fills that role. And the line of KMN is proven. We need Geno going if we want to go deep this postseason.

Dupuis is the first guy in on the forecheck with Sid/Iggy. He's perfect for that role. Sid controls the play down low and finds Iggy for one timers.

It makes too much sense.
Which is why so many of us are worried that it won't happen.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
  #774
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Some thoughts.

I have been looking at DB's lines/use of personnel in the last several games, and I think we have a chance of seeing this:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Bennett-Jokinen-Adams


Reasons I say this -- DB has been using multiple PK options the last several, which to me signals Glass as a scratch. Kennedy has been abysmal, and DB actually benched him one game. Bennett has seen his ice time not only increase as of late (aside from the healthy scratch the other day???), but has also seen extensive time on the power play.

I believe DB intends to use BB, even on the 2nd PP unit.
I believe DB will keep Adams in for defensive/PK responsibilities.
I believe DB will keep Jokinen in; he's been far too good to scratch.

SO -- I think there's a shot at seeing the above lineup.

It is NOT what I would configure; my lineup would be EITHER

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

OR

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

But, if Sid/Geno will be double-shifting onto the 4th line, then running a 4th line of Bennett-Jokinen-Adams makes sense. As others have noted, think of a 4th line of Bennett-Malkin-Jokinen, with Jokinen taking faceoffs...WOW.

Bottom line, if DB uses the lineup I'm surmising, that I have in bold up top, then I will be both pleasantly surprised, and completely OK with it.

The order of the bottom forwards into the lineup for injuries or just a change-up, should be (IMO) Vitale, then Kennedy (to see if he can add a spark as he used to be capable of!), then Jeffrey, and lastly, Glass (unless Iceburgh is available that night... )
Agreed, but I think all of us who are worried about the alternatives will embrace happily the lines you THINK Bylsma will use, especially if you see Sid or Geno getting out there for Adams.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
  #775
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Cooke has been surprisingly effective 5 on 5 in terms of scoring this season (I had to triple-check the numbers). JJ on the fourth is the best option for now.

I'm mostly worried about the PK. I knew there would be at least a moderate dropoff, but instead we nosedived to 25th overall. I don't think we have improved with Murray either. Maybe Martin will be our savior here? We're terrible.
As for the PK being bad. We all see how terrible Adams and Glass are at 5v5.....and there is a mountain of data/stats to prove it. They usually skate against other 4th/3rd line players and get outscored and out-shot. They constantly get pinned in their own zone at even strength. It doesn't matter who plays with them at C, the results are the same. Minus goal differential, minus corsi, possession that just isn't there. I can't remember the last time Bylsma didn't use his TO to rest them after an icing.

Now take one of our players away and put him in the box. Do we logically think that these 2 guys turn into elite "specialist" with even worst odds in their favor at 4v5? Yes these guys are used to playing without the puck (no choice really), but that doesn't make them good at it.

Another great item of note. There is not a single player that is going to be (or can be scratched) that scores at a lower rate (pts/60min) than Tanner Glass. Even Bortuzzo is a higher scoring threat at D than Glass is at Forward.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.