HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
While I'm a proponent of having Iggy and Neal with Geno, on some level it would be cool seeing Kunitz with Geno, with Geno helping Kunitz win a scoring title. With Sid out and with Geno not his center, I can't see Kunitz having any shot to pass Stamkos.
at this point, I dont care about the scoring race, sure it would be nice for a penguin to win it, but not at the expense of messing up chemistry for the playoffs if/when Sid's back.. Keep the Malkin line intact with Iginla and Neal, they'll be deadly once they're used to each other.. Keep Kunitz and Dupuis together with rotating center.

Going into the playoffs familiar with each others lines > scoring title IMO

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
at this point, I dont care about the scoring race, sure it would be nice for a penguin to win it, but not at the expense of messing up chemistry for the playoffs if/when Sid's back.. Keep the Malkin line intact with Iginla and Neal, they'll be deadly once they're used to each other.. Keep Kunitz and Dupuis together with rotating center.

Going into the playoffs familiar with each others lines > scoring title IMO
This, again and again, Dupuis and Kunitz have chemistry together, so keep em together and throw a center in there and hope they respond, because we all know the current Big Three are going to answer the call

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
steveg

I've REALLY been a proponent of the "move Duper to the 3rd line RW and get a "skill/playmaking" type winger for Sid's RW -- which many on here had also advocated. However, since landing Iggy, most here seem to have evolved toward keeping Iggy on Geno's line.

WHILE I really, really like Dupuis, I still don't agree with the idea of Iggy not spending time on Sid's RW. I do not like the idea of taking a career RW and sticking him on Geno's left; I ALSO do not like the idea of taking Neal out of the spot he's found the most success in BY FAR -- Geno's RW. With Neal's abilities seemingly requiring very specific circumstances to be fully exploited, I think there's risk in moving him to LW -- and moving Iggy out of his natural spot doesn't seem to be the best move either.

WHILE I am not the coach, I was curious as to why opinion here seems to solidly favor Iggy on Malkin's line now -- even with Sid IN the lineup.

That being said, I like the idea -- this close to the playoffs -- of keeping as many linemates together as possible while Sid is out; chemistry needs to be developed given the two new winger additions. I think it's a wise move to take whatever DB's most likely line combos WITH Sid healthy and have them be as in-tact as possible despite the lack of Sid. I just don't know why Iggy is still not seen as the OBVIOUS choice for Sid's RW. Dupuis clearly plays at the same speed/skill level wherever he's slotted...making him the ideal 3rd line RW...

Just my 2 cents...

Steve

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
I've REALLY been a proponent of the "move Duper to the 3rd line RW and get a "skill/playmaking" type winger for Sid's RW -- which many on here had also advocated. However, since landing Iggy, most here seem to have evolved toward keeping Iggy on Geno's line.

WHILE I really, really like Dupuis, I still don't agree with the idea of Iggy not spending time on Sid's RW. I do not like the idea of taking a career RW and sticking him on Geno's left; I ALSO do not like the idea of taking Neal out of the spot he's found the most success in BY FAR -- Geno's RW. With Neal's abilities seemingly requiring very specific circumstances to be fully exploited, I think there's risk in moving him to LW -- and moving Iggy out of his natural spot doesn't seem to be the best move either.

WHILE I am not the coach, I was curious as to why opinion here seems to solidly favor Iggy on Malkin's line now -- even with Sid IN the lineup.

That being said, I like the idea -- this close to the playoffs -- of keeping as many linemates together as possible while Sid is out; chemistry needs to be developed given the two new winger additions. I think it's a wise move to take whatever DB's most likely line combos WITH Sid healthy and have them be as in-tact as possible despite the lack of Sid. I just don't know why Iggy is still not seen as the OBVIOUS choice for Sid's RW. Dupuis clearly plays at the same speed/skill level wherever he's slotted...making him the ideal 3rd line RW...

Just my 2 cents...

Steve
I think Nealer said that he's gonna go LW and Iggy will be the RW. For offense, both are going to automatically drift to their off-wings, defensively, all three are responsible, so you don't have to worry about it.

Right now, Iggy has to stay on Geno's line because he's the best center on the team. But as for when Sid gets back, we all know that Iggy will see time on Sid's line at various times, the chemistry will be easily formed and that means DB will be forced to put them on the same line, and Sid is quite vocal about who he wants to play with, so it's going to happen.

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy is the line you're going to see opening the first playoff game.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I'd hope so, though if the three don't have any time playing together before then, hmm...

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
useless

Am I the only one who really doesn't like Iggy on Geno's line? Gino and Neal move too slow for Iggy and don't play to his strengths, which is fighting for dump ins and speed.

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
Am I the only one who really doesn't like Iggy on Geno's line? Gino and Neal move too slow for Iggy and don't play to his strengths, which is fighting for dump ins and speed.
no you are not. i don't like it either, however, no way Bylsma will break it up now that Sid is out, few reasons one of them for sure that they didn't bring Iggy to be on line with Sutter and Cook, however I go radical and put Kunitz with Gino and iggy and have a monster line with some speed, Have sutter , Dupper and Neal on second and keep the third with DJ, Morrow and Cookie

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Kunitz is fast and sure seemed to play well with them. If Iggy's strengths are fighting for dump ins and speed (which I'm not agreeing to necessarily) then he is perfect for that line. They needed a guy to get in on the forecheck and battle for pucks. I personally didn't want Iggy with Geno because I thought he could make a bigger impact with Sid. Since Sid is out, I want Iggy with Geno.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:10 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I like how we had ~50 people who think Bylsma can't use common sense to make a lineup guess the lineup and no one guessed Kennedy as 1st-line C. YOU GUYS AIN'T PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

If Kennedy is a top 6 C for any appreciable length of time I may develop chest pains and shortness of breath.

Unless Shero is trying to showcase him for a trade I can't see any reason for it with this group. He should be a 4th liner at this point. With Sid out the best lineup that balances continuity with line strength would probably be:

Kunitz - Geno - Neal
(best line in hockey... no reason to keep Kuhn and Dupuis together -- they feed off Sid not each other)

Morrow - Sutter - Iginla
(builds chemistry for likely 3rd line in playoffs, puts Iggy with good C, Top 6, right side)

Cooke - Kennedy - Dupuis (If you want Kennedy to C, put him here, otherwise

Cooke - Jeffrey - Dupuis (still strong two-way 3rd line if a little soff in the middle)

Bennett - Vitale - Kennedy (could pot a few points every week potentially)
Adams (PK)

Yah I know Bylsmagic will never sit Adams as long as they both shall live but that's what I'd do for right now.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
I want Iggy on Crosby's line. But while Crosby is out, I want Iggy playing with the only remaining top six center we have.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:36 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I like how we had ~50 people who think Bylsma can't use common sense to make a lineup guess the lineup and no one guessed Kennedy as 1st-line C. YOU GUYS AIN'T PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH!
Kennedy is an inexpensive first centre.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Shady Machine

I actually agree with Disco Dan on this one. If we weren't so far ahead in the division race, then I'd disagree with Kennedy there. But the fact is that Kennedy on the first line is a place holder and allows our other lines to develop chemistry and continuity. Obviously Disco wants Iggy with Geno so they need to take the next 12 games to learn to play together. Sutter will be the 3rd line shutdown center in the playoffs so let's keep him there with Cooke and Morrow.

Jeffrey and Kennedy will both play on that "top" line as placeholders for Sid.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Candyman

Quote:

Just my 2 cents...

Steve
I completely agree. Both players are RW and succeed best as RW. Why change that? Dupuis has done great for us, it's not a demotion to put him on line 3. it's an upgrade for the team.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Malkinstheman

So i guess bennett coming back is ruled out? unless iggy goes in dupuis spot, putting him in kennedys spot who either kicks glass out of the line-up or gets scratched himself creating space for sunshine on the second line

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
I'd hope so, though if the three don't have any time playing together before then, hmm...
Well two of them already have chemistry...

Sid has said Iginla is easy to play with...

Kunitz is the crasher and banger, the net presence...

Iginla is the shooter...

Sid is the playmaker...

It's a recipe for success, Iggy and Kuni can also switch roles if required.

Besides most successful lines in the playoffs are made exactly than, in the playoffs, isn't that what happened with LA's lines and Boston's lines, even Chicago's 1st & 2nd line

Old
04-01-2013, 05:05 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
If Kennedy is a top 6 C for any appreciable length of time I may develop chest pains and shortness of breath.

That's nothing compared to the chest pains that opposing goalies are facing.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Flat Stanley

This isn't about line combos without Sid, but I'm not a fan of Neal-Malkin-Iginla being a line. I think that line needs a guy who can get to the dirty areas and open space for Malkin and Neal, a guy like Chris Kunitz or Brenden Morrow.

I think Iginla should be put with Sid and Dupuis should move down to the 3rd line, I know Pascal Dupuis has been solid on that 1st line, but I think Dupuis should be on the 3rd line.

Kunitz/Morrow-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Morrow - Malkin - Neal looked to be clicking perfectly that first game he was here...

Id run this top 9...

Kunitz - Crosby - Iggy
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Thats a lot of scoring depth and a great 3rd line.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Morrow - Malkin - Neal looked to be clicking perfectly that first game he was here...

Id run this top 9...

Kunitz - Crosby - Iggy
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

This is what I would do, but it's up to Dan.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:43 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:

Id run this top 9...

Kunitz - Crosby - Iggy
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

I agree, Morrow looked great on that line. He would get the puck to Malkin as quickly as he could and then drive straight to the net, creating a lot of space for Geno and Neal to work their magic. I believe Kunitz would do the same with Crosby and Iggy, along with providing some skill of his own. That third line would be tenacious on the forecheck. It's perfect. I hope DB realizes for when Sid comes back.

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
AgentM

Quote:

Id run this top 9...

Kunitz - Crosby - Iggy
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

I really wish that Geno was healthy when Morrow first got here and they would have had a couple of games to show Bylsma how well that line could work together.

Morrow's stick lift to allow Neal's pass to get through the crease cleanly to Geno for the goal was a beautiful example of his going to the dirty areas AND thinking the game at a high level.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:

Id run this top 9...

Kunitz - Crosby - Iggy
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Ideally, this is what I'd love to see as well. At the same time however I'm kinda warming up to what DB is trying to do here. With a month left in the regular season, why break up what's been the highest scoring line in hockey?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
mpp9

Given the current situation with Sid out for a few weeks and Geno just now coming back, I'm all for loading up.

Let Neal/Geno/Iggy get some chemistry for the postseason. Teams will have to sell out on shutting them down. And even when they do, there's no guarantee they'll be successful.

Let Sid come back and step right in with Kuni and Duper in the postseason. Sid against anyone but a team's top shutdown unit means curtains for them in a 7 game series. And Sutter will have had a few weeks with Morrow and Cooke as well.

Next season, Iggy moves up with Sid. Bennett gets a crack with Geno/Neal.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:30 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I think Nealer said that he's gonna go LW and Iggy will be the RW. For offense, both are going to automatically drift to their off-wings, defensively, all three are responsible, so you don't have to worry about it.

Right now, Iggy has to stay on Geno's line because he's the best center on the team. But as for when Sid gets back, we all know that Iggy will see time on Sid's line at various times, the chemistry will be easily formed and that means DB will be forced to put them on the same line, and Sid is quite vocal about who he wants to play with, so it's going to happen.

I like Dupuis as well, I think he belongs in the top 6 over someone like Morrow because Dupuis is having a career year, and because he has the high level of speed that line requires.

That said, having Iginla on the same line as Sid would really be a treat to watch.

If Sid can get back in time to get 4-5 games in before the postseason, which would give DB time to shuffle the lines a bit, I'd be all for switching Dupuis to Sid's LW. Dupuis has done it well in the recent past, and this would let Iginla play on his natural side alongside Crosby:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

If Sid is back for game 1 of the postseason with little or no regular season playing time with the team, expect to see these lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

Although I hope Iggy and Neal would switch sides in the latter case.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote