HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Karnage420

vCash: 500
lol @ people putting morrow in their top 6.

good lord, what has this team become...

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
zero8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post

The games he played there that line has looked the best it had all season...

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
except when Beau Bennett was there. It looked just as good against better teams in those games.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Karnage420

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
the two games?

sorry, i didnt see anything out of the ordinary...what did you see that i didnt?

bennett looked muuuuch better.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:

For some reason, they'd rather have Morrow on the top 6 and Dupuis on the third line. It just seems like they really don't like Dupuis regardless of what he's done the past two seasons.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Karnage420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
For some reason, they'd rather have Morrow on the top 6 and Dupuis on the third line. It just seems like they really don't like Dupuis regardless of what he's done the past two seasons.
i dont expect that to remain the case.

Dupuis is a top 6 forward, morrow is not.

I'm sure this will all be figured out by DB eventually. he loves dupper afterall.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:

The third line gets 0 zone time so he can't do his dirty work...ever.

With geno and neal he's able to wreak havoc in front all game. I like him with them as well

OnMyOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
SherogoesHAM

Quote:
I dont think anyone knows what to do with Morrow. He just seems to do nothing out there. The thing is though, Morrow looked a lot better with Malkin and Neal then he does now. If the pens have too much pride to throw him on the 4th line or in the press box then id rather him be on the 2nd than 3rd. Why? Because i think Dupuis is still very effective on the 3rd line and makes that line a lot more dangerous. A cooke sutter dupuis is in my opinion better defensively than tk staal cooke and i feel just as dangerous offensively. Also i think morrow/bennett fit better on that line than moving neal to lw to fit iginla.

SherogoesHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
no, its because Dupuis brings more to the 3rd line than Morrow, and Morrow brings the element to Geno's line that its missing. It has nothing to do with which of them is a better player. Its putting players in the position to get the most out of them.

Morrow is a bad shutdown 3rd line player. He needs to be on Geno's LW, or on the 4th line. Dupuis can play wherever the hell we put him and he'll be effective. My ideal line-up has Morrow on the 4th. But it also has Bennett on Geno's LW. I'm sure you hate that.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I think you're mistaking "thinking he/the team would excel more with him in a different role" with "dislike."

I love Dupuis. He's one of the hardest workers on the team, good on the penalty kill, and seems like a great team guy. But I would like to see him on the third line.

Morrow and Bennett have both looked good on the line with Malkin and Neal, Iggy has not. I don't understand why it's odd to want to change something that hasn't worked back to something that has.

Also Morrow is in a better position to succeed on a line with Malkin and Neal because he can act as that net front presence.

When everyone is healthy a Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis third line would be a great third line. It would be solid defensively and have the ability to be an offensive threat as well.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Here's some lines with my reasoning behind them.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
This line keeps Kunitz with Sid while giving him a great scoring threat on the other side. He loses some of Dupuis' speed, but I think the extra size and skill make up for it. Iginla and Neal fill the same role. They shouldn't be put on the same line. Simply put, they should be our top two right wings.

Bennett/Morrow - Malkin - Neal
This gives Malkin and Neal their puck chaser. The line hasn't looked better all year than it did with Bennett in that spot aside from the game with Morrow there. I figure Morrow and Bennett would both see some shifts in that spot, so that's not either or, its rotating between both to keep them fresh. I don't know that I want either playing full top 6 minutes at this stage in their careers. Bennett might get worn down phyiscally, and Morrow might not have the gas for it.

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Best shutdown line in the league. Also a really good line to get an occasional double shift with Crosby. Dupuis could still get occasional shifts with Sid and Kunitz if they catch a slow matchup or if "old man" Iginla ever needs a bit longer of a break than Sid and Kunitz.

Morrow/Bennett - Jokinen - Adams
I don't expect the 4th line to get a lot of real shifts as an intact unit; our 4th line never does in the playoffs. They are there mostly for double shifts with Sid and Geno and special teams units. Morrow, Bennett and Jokinen all would see 2nd PP time. Jokinen and Adams would see PK time. Morrow/Bennet and Jokinen is a hell of a talented "4th" line when double shifting with Sid or Geno.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
How can you cite the past 2 seasons as reason to keep him in the top-6 when last season he was on a 3rd-line line?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Here's some lines with my reasoning behind them.
if those combos come to pass, i might take a trip down to Charleston and kiss you on the mouth.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Morrow and Bennett have both looked good on the line with Malkin and Neal, Iggy has not. I don't understand why it's odd to want to change something that hasn't worked back to something that has.
I keep hearing what Morrow can bring to Malkin's line, which is nothing more than what Kunitz would bring to it. Which is why I suggest Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla as the top line, and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as the second. I would say Kunitz-Malkin-Neal worked well, wouldn't you say so as well? And Dupuis works well with Crosby.

The third line of Morrow-Sutter-Cooke doesn't need to be flashy or score a lot of goals, they need to be hard to play against. We saw flashes of that in the last game against the Islanders. I would like to see them build upon that.

On one hand you guys are saying you want to keep things together that work well, yet on the other hand you want to put Dupuis on the third line while he's had an excellent season playing with Crosby.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
if those combos come to pass, i might take a trip down to Charleston and kiss you on the mouth.
I wish I even thought there was a slight possibility of it happening.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
How can you cite the past 2 seasons as reason to keep him in the top-6 when last season he was on a 3rd-line line?
You must be a new fan. Welcome to the board!

Old
04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I keep hearing what Morrow can bring to Malkin's line, which is nothing more than what Kunitz would bring to it. Which is why I suggest Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla as the top line, and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as the second. I would say Kunitz-Malkin-Neal worked well, wouldn't you say so as well? And Dupuis works well with Crosby.

The third line of Morrow-Sutter-Cooke doesn't need to be flashy or score a lot of goals, they need to be hard to play against. We saw flashes of that in the last game against the Islanders. I would like to see them build upon that.

On one hand you guys are saying you want to keep things together that work well, yet on the other hand you want to put Dupuis on the third line while he's had an excellent season playing with Crosby.
I'd be fine with your version of the top 6 too. I just really don't want Morrow on the 3rd line. I think he's an absolutely terrible fit there. Put Bennett with Cooke and Sutter in that case. Hell, even TK or Jeffrey. Morrow cannot skate well enough to be on our shutdown line. He is a nightmare trying to cover the points in the D zone. TK isn't good there either, but at least he can skate.

Morrow on the third line makes us a worse team than not having Morrow imo. On the 2nd, he adds a net presence and some board work to a line that loves to shoot and usually starts in the offensive zone. On the 4th, he's an upgrade over Glass. My preference is for him to drop to the 4th line.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I'd be fine if it ended up being
Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I think that could potentially work out really well, but I don't see it as the best option.

Quote:
I was mainly saying that I don't want to keep something together that doesn't work, and proposed proven options to fix it.

Sure Dupuis has had an excellent season playing with Crosby, but he also had an excellent season playing without him last year.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
I'd be fine with your version of the top 6 too. I just really don't want Morrow on the 3rd line. I think he's an absolutely terrible fit there. Put Bennett with Cooke and Sutter in that case. Hell, even TK or Jeffrey. Morrow cannot skate well enough to be on our shutdown line. He is a nightmare trying to cover the points in the D zone. TK isn't good there either, but at least he can skate.

Morrow on the third line makes us a worse team than not having Morrow imo. On the 2nd, he adds a net presence and some board work to a line that loves to shoot and usually starts in the offensive zone. On the 4th, he's an upgrade over Glass.
You guys have actually convinced me on this. Morrow to the 4th!

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I'd be fine if it ended up being
Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I think that could potentially work out really well, but I don't see it as the best option.

I was mainly saying that I don't want to keep something together that doesn't work, and proposed proven options to fix it.

Sure Dupuis has had an excellent season playing with Crosby, but he also had an excellent season playing without him last year.
True, and it was a top 6 role despite what some other posters are saying.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
True, and it was a top 6 role despite what some other posters are saying.
this is true. He was on the 2nd line all year last year. Sully - Staal - Dupuis. Eventually Sid took that line over. Doesn't change my opinion that he should be on our 3rd line this year, but I can see why he wouldn't be. I just think Kunitz is a better fit with Sid than Geno, and Bennett is a better fit with Geno than Dupuis. All topped off with Dupuis turning our 3rd line into the best 3rd line in the league.

Basically, I think Kunitz - Sid - Iginla is the best line in hockey. I think Bennett - Geno - Neal is by far the best 2nd line in hockey and potentially the 2nd best line in hockey. And I think Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis is the potentially the best shutdown line in hockey. I really don't care if it means our 4th best winger is playing on a line numbered below our 5th best winger. I would expect Dupuis to get just about as much ES ice time as any of the top 6 guys in that situation.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
this is true. He was on the 2nd line all year last year. Sully - Staal - Dupuis. Eventually Sid took that line over. Doesn't change my opinion that he should be on our 3rd line this year, but I can see why he wouldn't be. I just think Kunitz is a better fit with Sid than Geno, and Bennett is a better fit with Geno than Dupuis. All topped off with Dupuis turning our 3rd line into the best 3rd line in the league.
Pretty much this.

Dupuis always played well alongside Staal, and I see Sutter as Staal-lite, so I think it would be a natural fit.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

They gotta put Bennett in. Even when he's in a checking role, I love his game.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
You must be a new fan. Welcome to the board!
lol, you're cute

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Alright, I'll do one:

Kunitz-Sutter-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Jokinen-Dupuis
Morrow-Vitale-Adams