HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Ray Shero - 2013 GM of the Year Winner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2013, 04:19 PM
  #1
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,268
vCash: 500
Ray Shero - 2013 GM of the Year Winner

Just announced him as the winner on NHL Network. Interview now.

Congrats to Ray

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=8...id=DL|NHL|home



Last edited by HuskerTornado: 06-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.
HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:22 PM
  #2
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
Congratulations Shero!

Well deserved.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  #3
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
hehehehe

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:28 PM
  #4
deakka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Good for him!
Now show us your worth it and work some magic with the Letang situation!

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:28 PM
  #5
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Better candidates than Shero. Stan Bowman for one.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
  #6
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,077
vCash: 500
Hey, it's a cup no less. Plan the parade!

Who's going?




Seriously, Congrats, Ray.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:36 PM
  #7
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
It'll look nice next sitting next to the two February Cups, right?

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:40 PM
  #8
hiptanaka
Registered User
 
hiptanaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Woonsocket
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
That awkward moment when a GM retains a failure of a coach and his pathetic assistants and gets the GM of the year award a few days later.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:45 PM
  #9
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Why is our plight becoming an increasing ball of ironic twists?

Not to say Ray Ray didn't deserve it, though I think Garth Snow did the best job this past season. But I digress.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:52 PM
  #10
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Kind of strange the team is going to have multiple MVP's, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year, & a Norris candidate over the last 3 seasons yet have won only 4 games past the 1st round during that frame.

Doesn't quite add up.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:00 PM
  #11
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,456
vCash: 500
What a totally undeserved award.

- Iggy chose PIT, Shero did nothing
- Overpaid for Morrow who blew and also chose PIT
- Overpaid for Murray who was too slow for DBs system so Db changed it
- Great deal to get JJ, too bad he never played in the POs.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
  #12
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Why is Shero winning a joke? These are regular season awards. What did Shero do that was undeserving of an award? Clearly some people enjoyed his aggressiveness.
He bought the most rentals? That makes someone most deserving of it? What he do that warranted best GM? His big FA acquisition was Tanner freaking Glass.

This isnt a case of me being captain hindsight because I was saying this at the time but those moves he made probably made the team worse. Because of him signing Mark Eaton, trading for all the rentals it forced Despres and Bennett to ride the pine for the playoffs.

It just gets old and predictable how whatever GM splurges the most at the deadline people then call the winner. I remember how much Calgary was lauded on their deadline when they picked up Olli Jokinen and the rest of the usual rental trash. Because they spent the most they were the winners, never mind actual results. Sometimes the best move to be made is no move. People rip on Shero for sitting on his hands at last season's deadline but he at least didnt hurt the team by doing that. He couldve easily blew assets on aging rentals only to yield same results on the playoffs and we'd have even less now. So yeah I'll give him a hearty thumbs up for last year but this year.... bleh.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
  #13
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
He bought the most rentals? That makes someone most deserving of it? What he do that warranted best GM? His big FA acquisition was Tanner freaking Glass.

This isnt a case of me being captain hindsight because I was saying this at the time but those moves he made probably made the team worse. Because of him signing Mark Eaton, trading for all the rentals it forced Despres and Bennett to ride the pine for the playoffs.

It just gets old and predictable how whatever GM splurges the most at the deadline people then call the winner. I remember how much Calgary was lauded on their deadline when they picked up Olli Jokinen and the rest of the usual rental trash. Because they spent the most they were the winners, never mind actual results. Sometimes the best move to be made is no move. People rip on Shero for sitting on his hands at last season's deadline but he at least didnt hurt the team by doing that. He couldve easily blew assets on aging rentals only to yield same results on the playoffs and we'd have even less now. So yeah I'll give him a hearty thumbs up for last year but this year.... bleh.
His team seemed pretty good before the rentals and he had plenty of cap space to acquire the rentals and most people didn't think he gave up mch of anything to get those rentals, BUT YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT UPSET ABOUT THIS SIR, SO I WON'T BOTHER YOU ABOUT IT TOO MUCH, PLEASE DON'T KICK ANYONE YOU LOVE.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  #14
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Kind of strange the team is going to have multiple MVP's, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year, & a Norris candidate over the last 3 seasons yet have won only 4 games past the 1st round during that frame.

Doesn't quite add up.
Yup. Agreed. We're more popular than good at the moment, that's for bloody sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  #15
Zirakzigil
Registered User
 
Zirakzigil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,523
vCash: 500
They must of decided this before he extended Dan

Congrats to him. He had a heck of a good trade deadline.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
  #16
SundanceKid
Registered User
 
SundanceKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
I'm still happy about the James Neal trade. Tanner Glass & resigning Danny B kind of makes me wonder if he really deserves it over other GMs but I certainly trust his decisions. If he wasn't making the right moves I think Mario would do something.

SundanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:09 PM
  #17
CrosbyMalkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Why is our plight becoming an increasing ball of ironic twists?

Not to say Ray Ray didn't deserve it, though I think Garth Snow did the best job this past season. But I digress.
Shero hands down did the best job and it was not even close. Shero gave Blysma the best team and it is up to the players and coaches to get it done on the ice. Getting Vokoun in the offseason was a great move. The trade in the summer of Staal was a great return for that situation. No person thought we would get that much after Staal turned down that contract and Shero had no leverage. Then you look at the deadline deals when he gets 4 quality NHL players and gives up no player on his current roster plus only 1 top 10 prospect.

I was not happy with the results but Shero was not to blame in the slightest. Shero provided all the tools needed to win a Cup. The Cup is the hardest thing to win and it takes a little luck also. The Bruins should of been out the first round but yet they are in the finals now. Shero gave us a shot at the Cup and that is all you can ask for and he has provided this team with the weapons every year.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
  #18
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
What a totally undeserved award.

- Iggy chose PIT, Shero did nothing
- Overpaid for Morrow who blew and also chose PIT
- Overpaid for Murray who was too slow for DBs system so Db changed it
- Great deal to get JJ, too bad he never played in the POs.
I see where you're coming from, and you make valid points, but all of what you wrote above can be summed up in the following sentence. Ray Shero addressed his team's needs going into the playoffs without mortgaging too much of the future or getting rid of a roster player. He was aggressive at the trade deadline to help his team, the same people who are complaining about his trades are the same people who would ***** if he did nothing.

Also, IMO this award can start when last year's offseason began. He traded Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin and the 8th pick. A trade he had to make but at the same time, could have taken the chance of Staal walking. He brought in Tomas Vokoun to add stability in net. He kept Paul Martin and stayed committed, yes Paul wanted to stay, but that didn't have to stop Shero from wanting to trade him after a horrendous season.

Undeserved award my ass.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
  #19
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
His big FA acquisition was Tanner freaking Glass.
Sorry, in being dismissive of you, I just totally glossed over this gem.

How is his Big Fa Acquisition more relevant to you than his trades? Because it fits your narrative?

OK, dude.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
  #20
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism
 
Gallatin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
He bought the most rentals? That makes someone most deserving of it? What he do that warranted best GM? His big FA acquisition was Tanner freaking Glass.

This isnt a case of me being captain hindsight because I was saying this at the time but those moves he made probably made the team worse. Because of him signing Mark Eaton, trading for all the rentals it forced Despres and Bennett to ride the pine for the playoffs.

It just gets old and predictable how whatever GM splurges the most at the deadline people then call the winner. I remember how much Calgary was lauded on their deadline when they picked up Olli Jokinen and the rest of the usual rental trash. Because they spent the most they were the winners, never mind actual results. Sometimes the best move to be made is no move. People rip on Shero for sitting on his hands at last season's deadline but he at least didnt hurt the team by doing that. He couldve easily blew assets on aging rentals only to yield same results on the playoffs and we'd have even less now. So yeah I'll give him a hearty thumbs up for last year but this year.... bleh.
Try not to be too bitter folks.

Ray Shero is a top 5 GM in this league. He is a deserving candidate for this award, and he laid the groundwork for it with the Staal trade, which was a huge win for the Pens given the situation. And I bet the Paul Martin saga was something a lot of these writers considered as well.

Shero was right to hold onto Paul Martin, and challenge him to improve. It worked out really good for the Pens. Same thing with Cookie. You can bet a similar conversation is ongoing on with the coaching staff. You probably will not hear about it though, because there is enough Bylsma hate going around already, and the GM is right to try to shield him given the investment Team Mario just made in the staff.

So likewise, (even though I can't stand Granato, and question Bylsma) I will give the staff a benefit of a doubt and hope they evolve this year. As much as folks hate Bylsma for not admitting his poor coaching cost us dearly, I don't believe for a moment that he actually feels everything is fine.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:28 PM
  #21
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 50
I see twitter rumblings that OV has won the Hart. i'm in my phone do I can't oostende links. if true, meh. what can you say about this season: the least successful, successful season ever (well, that Detroit-Prez-Trophy-First-Round-Upset season was also epic lolz)

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
  #22
vabm8
Injured Reserve
 
vabm8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dan's Gladams Shrine
Posts: 9,738
vCash: 500
Apparently TSN is speculating that Ovechkin won, nothing official, yet.

He probably did, let's make all of the awards a joke.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
  #23
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Letang winning the Norris will make this the best NHL awards ever.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:40 PM
  #24
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,371
vCash: 500
NOTICE: Keep it in check, guys. Until the presser the other day no one would've denied Shero deserved this award. But because he didn't let Bylsma go we're all pissed. But this is a regular season award so, he clearly deserves it. He did more than any other GM to give his coach and team a chance to win and they didn't make good on it, period.

Going to delete BS hate-comments. Nobody likes what happened with Bylsma and Fleury but is what it is. We're not going to allow it to degrade every thread about Shero and Staff for the rest of the summer.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:49 PM
  #25
CrosbyMalkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
What a totally undeserved award.

- Iggy chose PIT, Shero did nothing
- Overpaid for Morrow who blew and also chose PIT
- Overpaid for Murray who was too slow for DBs system so Db changed it
- Great deal to get JJ, too bad he never played in the POs.
This is a bunch of crap!! Shero provided the early deals that had Iggy want to choose the Pens. Getting Morrow and Murray first was a big reason Iggy changed his mind from the 3 teams to just the Pens and in his press conference he mentioned those moves as a factor.

As far as overpaying goes no person on these boards would of believed we could of got those 4 players without giving any players off our roster and only 1 top 10 prospect. When you have the team with the top record in the East you go for it now and that means giving up a little of the future to do that. I loved what Shero did and it was to bad Blysma could not make it work because he had all the tools to get it done. I don't think the Bruins are a better team than the Pens. They outplayed us in only 1 game. Games 1, 3, and 4 could of went to either team. It happens sometimes that a team plays poorly for a stretch and we did that at the wrong time. I believe this Pens team was just as good or better than the Bruins and if we played a new 7 game series we could come out on top. Bruins got lucky to make it out of the first round. The Cup is hard to win and it takes some breaks along the way and you are not going to win many games with Sid and Geno not scoring so don't blame the trades on that series.

GM of the year without a doubt and Shero has been the best GM for many of his years with the Pens.

2008: Shero gets the best player at the deadline in Hossa plus Dupuis (Best GM)
2009: Shero gets Guerin, Kunitz, and Gill (Best GM)
2010: Shero trades for Poni but does not work out but Caputi turns out a dud also
2011: Shero trades Gogo for Neal and Niskanen (Best GM move also of year)
2012: Shero stands pat because market sucks better GM's
2013: Shero gets Iggy, Morrow, Murray, Jokinen for no NHL players (Best GM)

Track record is pretty dang good in my book. Shero has always went after the top free agents both at the deadline and in the Summer. I love that the Pens are always in the mix for the best guys. Also Shero has not sold the farm to compete for Cups because we have the best prospect depth we have had in years in my opinion. I remember in the 90's when it seemed like we never had any decent prospects in the system and ours is pretty nice considering the picks and prospects traded to go for Cups each year. With Despres, Pouliot, Maatta, Harrington, and Dumoulin that is a pretty good group of young dmen and we have others with potential also below them.

Shero's trades have been amazing and almost all proven winners. The best way to look at it is put them all as one and see what we got compared to gave up and it is not even close (Hossa, Iggy, Neal, Dupuis, Roberts, Guerin, Kunitz, Gill, Murray, Morrow, Ponikarovsky, Niskanen, Sutter, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Jokinen, and some picks for Staal, Armstrong, Whitney, Eric Christenson, Goligoski, J. Morrow, and some bust prospects and picks including some late 1st round picks). Shero has done a great job over the years and even with giving up many picks he has built a pretty decent prospect pool which is hard to do when trading for top players at the deadline each year. Some of you have a warped image of what Shero has done for this organization. No GM is perfect but I would not trade Shero for any GM.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.