HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's unfortunately small trophy case and his legacy

Old
06-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Parise9Crosby87

vCash: 500
hes got plenty of time he should of had alot more trophies though

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:13 PM
JTG

Should have went to Crosby or Tavares.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:17 PM
FDBluth

Damn, Ovechkin just barely beat Sid in the voting. But who cares.

Quick, off the top of your head...how many Hart Trophies did Bobby Orr win? That's what I thought.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Griffin6612

You know what. As long as Crosby gets at least one more Cup and AO never even ****ing sniffs it I'll be happy. Some main board guy said Crosby has catching up to do with the "best player in the world" People know whos better.

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:21 PM
JTG

The NHL awards are like the NFL Pro Bowl. Ryan Suter should have won the Norris. Crosby should have won the Hart.

Had Sid stayed healthy over the course of his career, he should have at least 2 more scoring titles, and probably 3 Harts

Old
06-15-2013, 08:23 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin6612 View Post
You know what. As long as Crosby gets at least one more Cup and AO never even ****ing sniffs it I'll be happy. Some main board guy said Crosby has catching up to do with the "best player in the world" People know whos better.
It's no consolation, but when a man is judged by his peers as being the best at what he does...that's what really matters. Not a guy who sits in a press box, who is just a fan who gets his voice published. The media doesn't like Sidney Crosby. I'm sure there were many votes not cast for AO, but against Sid.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:26 PM
PensFanSince1989

Brett Favre also won 3 MVP's. MVP's sometimes means jack when comparing them to their peers.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I'm not even going to make the argument for Crosby, just going to say Ovechkin winning it is a joke. Not because I hate Ovechkin or because he's a horrible leader or he is the inspiration for the greatest hockey-related .gif ever, but because he took more time off this season than Crosby. The voters/media has some weird Ovechkin Agenda. If Newspapers weren't already a punchline, this would be a major mark against their integrity.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Happy about the Lindsay but ****ing pissed about the Hart. Complete bull ****.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:06 PM

I think it should have went to Toews or Tavares. Sid missed to much time and the Pens played well without him and Ovy only played well for half the season.

I would actually of not had Sid and Ovy as finalists. IMO Getzlaf should have been there.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:16 PM
TheGoldenJet

At least Sid won the Lindsay.

Most outstanding player 2013, good for him.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Jaded-Fan

Meh.

When people look back at how bare Sid's hardware is they are not going to question Sid, but the morons who voted in this era.

When you consider that they entrusted voting to guys like Rossi for the Hart, you may as well give out a clown suit as the Hart award, because it would be more appropriate.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:45 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think it should have went to Toews or Tavares. Sid missed to much time and the Pens played well without him and Ovy only played well for half the season.
This is a really bad argument against Sid, to be honest.

The Pens have played well without Sid and Geno for the past 3 seasons. So if we're using 'how they perform without him' metrics, then Geno and Sid should never win it just because they are healthy.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
The NHL should rescind all the Hart trophies Gretzky won while with the Oilers. Apparently the new NHL the Hart goes to the player on a crappy team who barely squeaks into the playoffs.

Seriously, the two arguments most used to explain why Sid shouldn't have won:

1-Sid missed 12 games.
2-Sid plays on a strong team who would make the playoffs without him.

Both are ridiculous reasons not to award him the trophy. The former is silly given the fact that, despite missing those 12 games, he still tied the eventual Hart winner in points, and finished 9 points up on the second runner up. It's not like those guys killed him in points and only his "on pace for" totals were comparable to theirs. And the latter is ridiculous since it basically turns the Hart into a "best player on a crappy team" award, since any player who plays on a strong team is dismissed.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Bengui

So, 5 years of being the best player in the league... One Hart, One Maurice, Two Pearsons, One Art Ross, One cup... seems a tiny bit flat to me :/

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
NeedleInTheHay

He has 665 points in 470 games, that's insane in this era. Also added 105 points in 82 playoff games.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

It's all a pissing contest for who's the best player and everyone admits Crosby's the best but he got injured. So Ovy basically got a shiny paper weight.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is a really bad argument against Sid, to be honest.

The Pens have played well without Sid and Geno for the past 3 seasons. So if we're using 'how they perform without him' metrics, then Geno and Sid should never win it just because they are healthy.
I don't see how anyone makes that argument and believes it. It assumes no knowledge of the entire history of the award.

It's one of the very few, and very weak, arguments you can put together if you really don't want Sid to win the trophy. It ranks just ahead of "I don't like his face."

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

I would actually of not had Sid and Ovy as finalists. IMO Getzlaf should have been there.
Then let's change the definition of the award. It's clear that stacked Chicago team would have been fine without Toews during the regular season. This is why I hate the MVP thing. Everyone defines most valuable as something different. People end up looking at it as who was the best in an era when comparing legacies, but many voters don't vote that way. It's just an odd award.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

I don't even consider Toews the Hawks MVP. Kane.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Being voted MVP by your peers > Being voted MVP by so called "experts"

If it were me, I would feel much more honored to be voted the best by people I play against

P.S. Time to stop the Ovie hate. He shouldn't have won the Hart but for a month and a half, he was a man on fire and deserved consideration.

P.P.S. Oates is a stooge for opening his mouth about Sid not having an "MVP" season

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Despite not having a large trophy case, everyone knows Crosby is simply the best player on the planet. His legend grows by the day regardless.
Gonna have to disagree here...He is a player who plays 150 feet of a 200 foot ice surface who is easily rattled and taken out of his game....His next backcheck in his own zone will be his first.....His leadership skills are not even close to what a captain should be and to this point in his career he has acted more like a child on the ice then a man....

But I will say he is the best OFFENSIVE player in the game....but the game is not only offense.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
Gonna have to disagree here...He is a player who plays 150 feet of a 200 foot ice surface who is easily rattled and taken out of his game....His next backcheck in his own zone will be his first.....His leadership skills are not even close to what a captain should be and to this point in his career he has acted more like a child on the ice then a man....

But I will say he is the best OFFENSIVE player in the game....but the game is not only offense.
LOL. Thanks for chiming in, Boston fan. Hard to argue with your totally unbiased, reasonable opinion, er, facts.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post

Post season after returning from the jaw injury he did look more tentative, but during the regular season he played outstanding two-way hockey.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Post season after returning from the jaw injury he did look more tentative, but during the regular season he played outstanding two-way hockey.
This, the guy doesn't get recognition nearly enough as he should for his defensive play, unless he has some bad games. then all of a sudden he's not a two way player.

Anyone have the gif of him stacking the pads to save a goal from going in? It went on to be one of the top 5 non goalie saves from ESPN.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote