HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2013 Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 04:10 PM
  #551
Telos
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,449
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
It seems that all year fans from other teams have been trying to discredit the Kings every chance they get.
Meh. Winning will breed hate amongst our competitors. It is a natural progression. Think of how we felt about Detroit or Edmonton in the past. They are going to zoom in on anything they can and try to amplify it and spread the hate, that's the only reaction they have.

Players will have their natural progression criticized and mocked to bring them down to size so they can compare them with their own players. Just look at what happened to Ovechkin. At the start of the year, people were arguing that he wasn't even a top 10 player, and some even said that he was not even a top 20 player. It's always about what have they done for them in the last two weeks, careers be damned. I'd just ignore it.

The greatest joy, nowadays as a Kings fan, is to ignore the bickering of threads that like to rank top defensemen and call Doughty this or that. Because we no longer care about silly incremental comparisons amongst our individual players. It's about the team now, we are winning, we have won, and we expect to win. To hell with wannabe rankings and silly bickerings, we don't have to bother with such pettiness anymore.

Doughty himself has learned this over the past couple years, especially last year. It's not so much about being the best individual player you can be and going for individual accolades, it is about doing whatever it takes, points be damned, to get that win at the end of the day. It's about the team, not the individual, and that right there is the true beauty of what Dean Lombardi has truly accomplished here in LA.

Doughty knows now, at such a young age, what it means to be a LA King, what it means to fight for the man sitting next to you on that bench, in that locker-room, above yourself, and that attitude will be present within this organization for the next decade.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
  #552
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Meh. Winning will breed hate amongst our competitors. It is a natural progression. Think of how we felt about Detroit or Edmonton in the past. They are going to zoom in on anything they can and try to amplify it and spread the hate, that's the only reaction they have.

Players will have their natural progression criticized and mocked to bring them down to size so they can compare them with their own players. Just look at what happened to Ovechkin. At the start of the year, people were arguing that he wasn't even a top 10 player, and some even said that he was not even a top 20 player. It's always about what have they done for them in the last two weeks, careers be damned. I'd just ignore it.

The greatest joy, nowadays as a Kings fan, is to ignore the bickering of threads that like to rank top defensemen and call Doughty this or that. Because we no longer care about silly incremental comparisons amongst our individual players. It's about the team now, we are winning, we have won, and we expect to win. To hell with wannabe rankings and silly bickerings, we don't have to bother with such pettiness anymore.

Doughty himself has learned this over the past couple years, especially last year. It's not so much about being the best individual player you can be and going for individual accolades, it is about doing whatever it takes, points be damned, to get that win at the end of the day. It's about the team, not the individual, and that right there is the true beauty of what Dean Lombardi has truly accomplished here in LA.

Doughty knows now, at such a young age, what it means to be a LA King, what it means to fight for the man standing next to you above yourself, and that attitude will be present within this organization for the next decade.

Like the entire post but the bolded part is post of the year hands down. I want it for my tag line.

Perfectly said.

etherialone is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  #553
KingsKnight
Kaptain Kopi
 
KingsKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
I think we broke all three teams we faced in the Playoffs last year. Vancouver and St. Louis still look decent, but all of them have dropped in the standings while we have improved over last year. Not to mention that two have been eliminated from the playoffs. (I hope these tables make sense):

League Overall Standing Position
Team 2011-12........ 2013.............. Difference
VAN 1st 7th -6
STL 3rd 10th -7
PHX* 11th 20th -9
NDJ* 9th 21st -12
LAK 13th 6th +7

Conference Standing Position
Team 2011-12 2013 Difference
VAN 1st 3rd (4th pts) -2 (-3)
STL 2nd 6th -4
PHX* 3rd (6th pts) 11th -8 (-5)
NDJ* 6th (5th pts) 10th -4 (-5)
LAK 8th 4th (3rd pts) +4 (+5)

*eliminated

KingsKnight is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
  #554
KingsKnight
Kaptain Kopi
 
KingsKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
With last night's action being so favorable for the Kings (save for the Ducks winning, but that Pacific Division ship sailed long ago), the Kings can finish no lower than 6th and no higher than 4th. It literally is all about home ice and our opponent will likely be one of either St. Louis, Vancouver or San Jose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Vancouver is a big long shot. Minn would have to win out and they would have to lose out.
I like your positive thinking tsanuri, but I think he meant we could possibly face 3rd seed Vancouver as a 6th seed, worst case scenario.

KingsKnight is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
  #555
tsanuri
Moderator
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
I like your positive thinking tsanuri, but I think he meant we could possibly face 3rd seed Vancouver as a 6th seed, worst case scenario.
They can pry the fourth seed out of our cold dead hands. Until it's gone I say we are keeping it. But how I wish there was about 2 more week on the end of the season. We'd catch the Ducks and be number 2.

tsanuri is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
  #556
TonySCV
More Time for Scully
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
I like your positive thinking tsanuri, but I think he meant we could possibly face 3rd seed Vancouver as a 6th seed, worst case scenario.
Correct... If the Kings faced Vancouver, it would be on the road as the #6 seed (assuming the Division title is out of reach, which it basically is).

I just want the Kings to clinch the #4 seed, then I couldn't care less who they play. They'll be the favored team in any possible match-up.

The Kings can clinch the #4 seed as early as tomorrow if several things occur:

A LAK regulation, OT or SO win vs. MIN AND
A STL regulation, OT or SO loss vs. COL AND
a SJS regulation loss v DAL.


Last edited by TonySCV: 04-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.
TonySCV is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
  #557
tsanuri
Moderator
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Correct... If the Kings faced Vancouver, it would be on the road as the #6 seed (assuming the Division title is out of reach, which it basically is).

I just want the Kings to clinch the #4 seed, then I couldn't care less who they play. They'll be the favored team in any possible match-up.

The Kings can clinch the #4 seed as early as tomorrow if several things occur:

A LAK regulation, OT or SO win vs. MIN AND
A STL regulation, OT or SO loss vs. COL AND
a SJS regulation loss v DAL.
Not that I want to wait. But we only need to win one more game to get 4th seed as long as it's the one va SJ. But I sure hope we have it before then.
And where the division is out of reach outside the realm of dreams. Let's hope some dreams come true.
But at this point anything less than 4th seed should be seen as a let down. And us backing into the playoffs. Not the best way to start them off to me.

tsanuri is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 06:47 PM
  #558
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,986
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Detroit up 1-0 early.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
  #559
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,986
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Shots are 12-4 Phoenix. Score is 2-0 Detroit.

Lumbus needs some help from la to make the playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
  #560
KingsKnight
Kaptain Kopi
 
KingsKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
So to win the division, the Ucks have to go 0-3-0 and the Kings 3-0-0 or 2-0-1 ? Oh God...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
It's not gonna happen, but just to answer your question, the Ucks could go 0-2-1 and the Kings 3-0-0, creating a tie at 63 points and the Kings have more ROW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
I know. Or the Ucks go point-less and we go 2-0-1, creating a tie at 62-points (I edited my previous post. Just makes the Detroit, Oilers, and Avalanche losses hurt even more.
Anyone not excited by the fact that Phoenix plays the ducks in their last game and that even if (if) everything else falls into place, that they could be the deciding factor in getting the Pacific? I know it's a huge long shot in the first place, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Phoenix would throw that game just to F with us.

Ok I just convinced myself I'm crazy.


Last edited by KingsKnight: 04-22-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: moot point
KingsKnight is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
  #561
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 500
Tonight we want: Coyotes, Oilers, and Hawks.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:10 PM
  #562
Omni Owl
Trapped on a Planet
 
Omni Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Coyotes aren't coming back now...

Omni Owl is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:11 PM
  #563
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 500
Useless 'Yotes.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:47 PM
  #564
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 21,431
vCash: 500
Doan in the box for roughing . Tippet and Doan just crying once again like they didnt do anything...

kingsfan28 is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
  #565
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Doan in the box for roughing . Tippet and Doan just crying once again like they didnt do anything...
I saw that. Freaking Cryotes. Their logo should be one of those big eyed puppies that has tears coming out its eyes like you see on those old get well soon cards.

etherialone is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
  #566
TonySCV
More Time for Scully
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
Blackhawks would be on pace for 136 points if this were an 82 game season. Nutso.

TonySCV is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
  #567
TheSentinel
Registered User
 
TheSentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: WhereTheKingsReign
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Ucks up 2-0

TheSentinel is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:23 PM
  #568
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Useless Oilers.
ftfy...

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
  #569
Scottkmlps
Registered User
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,624
vCash: 500
I love that the Kings won the Cup last year, but am I ever getting sick of every teams announcers or beat writers saying, "Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen. Just look at what the Kings did last year.". Firstly, what the Kings did will not be duplicated in a very, very long time. Like what Montreal did in '93 with the 10 straight O.T. wins, the 10 straight road wins will be a record for a very long time. Secondly, going up 3-0 in every series will also hold up for a very long time. The series wins against the 1, 2 & 3 seeds will also hold up for a long time. Thirdly, the Kings were completely built for the playoffs.
So, announcers, and beat writers, please stop trying to compare what you think your respected teams can do in the playoffs to what the Kings did last playoffs. That run was a run for the ages, so please shut the **** up already. I asked with manners.
Okay, I'm done with my rant.

Scottkmlps is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 10:49 PM
  #570
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 40,571
vCash: 500
Ducks clinch the Pacific Division title. Now I'm hoping the Blues somehow secure 5th (that is if the Kings lock up 4th) and they play in the opening round. I want to see the Kings embarrass the Blues and Elliott for a second consecutive year.


Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 04-22-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 PM
  #571
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 13,761
vCash: 500
Weren't the Oilers just a point away from the 8th playoff spot when we last faced them? Did they have a long losing streak or something?

Vamos Rafa is online now  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:08 PM
  #572
TonySCV
More Time for Scully
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
I'll be glad when the playoffs start and this uneven schedule nonsense is done.

Canucks fans and broadcasters are fawning over the Canucks play tonight and the fact that they're up 3-0 over Chicago when Chicago is playing their third game in four nights. Not a level playing field.

TonySCV is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:11 PM
  #573
Raccoon Jesus
Moderator
Offense Like Girardi
 
Raccoon Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I love that the Kings won the Cup last year, but am I ever getting sick of every teams announcers or beat writers saying, "Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen. Just look at what the Kings did last year.". Firstly, what the Kings did will not be duplicated in a very, very long time. Like what Montreal did in '93 with the 10 straight O.T. wins, the 10 straight road wins will be a record for a very long time. Secondly, going up 3-0 in every series will also hold up for a very long time. The series wins against the 1, 2 & 3 seeds will also hold up for a long time. Thirdly, the Kings were completely built for the playoffs.
So, announcers, and beat writers, please stop trying to compare what you think your respected teams can do in the playoffs to what the Kings did last playoffs. That run was a run for the ages, so please shut the **** up already. I asked with manners.
Okay, I'm done with my rant.
I wish I could frame this.

Raccoon Jesus is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:11 PM
  #574
Raccoon Jesus
Moderator
Offense Like Girardi
 
Raccoon Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Weren't the Oilers just a point away from the 8th playoff spot when we last faced them? Did they have a long losing streak or something?
We broke them like we do every other team

I'm not even gonna bother looking it up, but it seems like teams expend so much energy on us that they go on to suck for weeks.

Except Chicago, they are our Benjamin Button

Raccoon Jesus is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 11:15 PM
  #575
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Ducks clinch the Pacific Division title. Now I'm hoping the Blues somehow secure 5th (that is if the Kings lock up 4th) and they play in the opening round. I want to see the Kings embarrass the Blues and Elliott for a second consecutive year.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'll be glad when the playoffs start and this uneven schedule nonsense is done.

Canucks fans and broadcasters are fawning over the Canucks play tonight and the fact that they're up 3-0 over Chicago when Chicago is playing their third game in four nights. Not a level playing field.
It's their year, every year!

Not buying it at all.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.