HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

First ever trade in cap era where salary & cap hit retained?

Old
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
First ever trade in cap era where salary & cap hit retained?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394301

I asked the question in the above thread from the trade forum, but wanted to have a discussion on it here. Is this the first time in NHL history since the cap era began that salary and cap hit were retained in a trade? I'm very curious as to what the details are and whether we will see more of this. It's great that someone finally did it as we have our first example as to how it works. Unless there has been another instance of this I missed and I'm just completely out to lunch.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

leafs kept 1.5M from lombardi when he was traded to phx in january.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Crease

Yep, the Lombardi trade was the first such case. Jokinen will be the second. In both cases, the player's AAV is the same as actual salary obligation, so the math is very straightforward. It will be interesting to see the first deal in which the player traded has a wildly different AAV from actual salary obligation.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394301

I asked the question in the above thread from the trade forum, but wanted to have a discussion on it here. Is this the first time in NHL history since the cap era began that salary and cap hit were retained in a trade? I'm very curious as to what the details are and whether we will see more of this. It's great that someone finally did it as we have our first example as to how it works. Unless there has been another instance of this I missed and I'm just completely out to lunch.

Just to clarify that it wasn't allowed under the last CBA (2005), which was the dawn of the cap era.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
DyerMaker66

Does anyone know how much of Jokinen's Salary was retained?
Does it impact the Penguins cap hit at all?

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Does anyone know how much of Jokinen's Salary was retained?
Does it impact the Penguins cap hit at all?
I don't think the percent retained has been officially released yet. I can't find it, at least.

The Penguins will incur a cap hit equal to the amount not retained by the Hurricanes this year and next, prorated this season for the # of games left.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I don't think the percent retained has been officially released yet. I can't find it, at least.

The Penguins will incur a cap hit equal to the amount not retained by the Hurricanes this year and next, prorated this season for the # of games left.
So his cap hit won't be three million and the Pens won't be paying him three million?

I ask because if his cap hit becomes low enough (1-1.5) I think it's possible for the Pens to keep both Jokinen and Iginla (assuming a cap hit of roughly 5 mil) to play with Crosby.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
So his cap hit won't be three million and the Pens won't be paying him three million?

I ask because if his cap hit becomes low enough (1-1.5) I think it's possible for the Pens to keep both Jokinen and Iginla (assuming a cap hit of roughly 5 mil) to play with Crosby.
The maximum amount of cap hit retained is 50% or 3 million, whichever is lowest. So the most the Huricanes can retain is 1.5 million. So the Pens have at least that much.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote