HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo talks beyond the 'tire kicking' stage", multiple teams involved

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Schneider has actually had multiple good seasons and has dominated every level of hockey he's ever played in

But feel free to try again
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89975

Do some research.

Reimer has been solid everywhere he was for the most part, playing in front of some pretty crappy teams.

Old
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

Small Sample size, I think this has already been covered. Luongo is the better goalie.
2 seasons of above .920, 1 below however was out two months with a concussion.... Not to small a sample size when hes played roughly 60 games at the same level and 30 below that level however was injured. He is also 8 years younger than Luongo, like i said the second youngest in the league after Holtby. Sure Luongo is the better goalie no doubt, but no where near as valuable.

Quote:
Schneider has actually had multiple good seasons and has dominated every level of hockey he's ever played in

But feel free to try again
Surprisingly almost identical to Reimers at almost every level!

Old
Geese_Howard*

Leaf fans, please believe in Reimer. We're finally giving out own prospect pool a chance and it's working.

Old
G51 K81*

Why don't the Mods just close every Luongo thread. Not 1 has ended well. The rumours are fake. TSN hyping the deadline and Gillis trying to make an artificial market.

Old
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
When was the last time Leafs were in a playoff position with 12 games left in a (half) season? By golly gee plan the parade!
How is that relevant?

Old
03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
"Mike is in discussions with multiple teams... Talks are beyond the 'tire kicking' stage"

This gives it away. Its the Islanders. Behind the scenes Tim Thomas is pumping Luongo's tires.
I lol'ed.

But stranger things have happened. The Isles are starting to turn the corner and don't have a legit long term starting goaltender in sight. Some decent prospects, but nobody proven. Moving into a new arena, might mean some more cash flow.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Maximus74

It will not be the Leafs... Nonis cannot be that dumb.

I will be shocked if any GM is stupid enough to fix Vancouver's problems and give up assets to do so.

Luongo is on the decline - he hasn't been "elite" for a few years. Why on earth would someone give up assets for a guy signed until he is 43?

Old
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Sergei Shirokov

I think most the people that just dismiss the thought of Luongo based on the contract are too short sighted and aren't really plugged into what the effects of the contract actually are, both generally and to a particular team, and also what options there are to get around it.

Thankfully I know GM's are that shortsighted and see these things which is why there is interest.

Hopefully this ends at the deadline though, we won't bring home the moon and nor should we at this point.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus74 View Post
It will not be the Leafs... Nonis cannot be that dumb.

I will be shocked if any GM is stupid enough to fix Vancouver's problems and give up assets to do so.

Luongo is on the decline - he hasn't been "elite" for a few years. Why on earth would someone give up assets for a guy signed until he is 43?
My god.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
I doubt Philly is a suitor. They would have to buyout Bryz's contract which would probably be a $5M penalty.
1) They would likely use a compliance buyout on him if that was the case.

2) Also, Bryz could be traded to Vancouver and Vancouver could use a compliance buyout on him

Its not like either team is poor.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
1) They would likely use a compliance buyout on him if that was the case.

2) Also, Bryz could be traded to Vancouver and Vancouver could use a compliance buyout on him

Its not like either team is poor.
It just doesn't make sense to me. They should just go after Bernier instead.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Leaf fans, please believe in Reimer. We're finally giving out own prospect pool a chance and it's working.
Question: Who are you talking to among Leafs fans that still want Luongo?

I mean it's been on tape loop for months that they don't want him. Burke was fired before he could get him. And Luongo also refused to waive his ntc to go there. So there might not be any valid concern here.

These 'multiple teams'? Yeah, they don't include TO.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Meh the only way I see any team taking Lu is if a (terrible) contract is going back the other way with a C that the nucks need

DiPietro + Nielson for Luongo
Bryzgalov + Couturier for Luongo + Tanev + pick/prospect

Old
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Why don't the Mods just close every Luongo thread. Not 1 has ended well. The rumours are fake. TSN hyping the deadline and Gillis trying to make an artificial market.
Its actually the Canucks assistant GM saying this. Not a media type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
2 seasons of above .920, 1 below however was out two months with a concussion.... Not to small a sample size when hes played roughly 60 games at the same level and 30 below that level however was injured. He is also 8 years younger than Luongo, like i said the second youngest in the league after Holtby. Sure Luongo is the better goalie no doubt, but no where near as valuable.
Small sample size in his first season too.

He's a good goalie, I hate to sound like I am dismissing him off as crap. But he isn't as good as Luongo and has more to prove IMO before he is considered a surefire, true blue #1. Like C'mon lets be realistic.

And I don't really think his value really is all that high judging by the market. There is certainly more interest in Lu then I think teams would have in Riemer if he was out there.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Problem is: I think Reimer is a good young goaltender. I think he can give this team serviceable goaltending for the next few years.

However -

Doesn't have any impact on Luongos ability as a goaltender, and it doesn't make him any less valuable as a commodity.

So it gets tiresome when people try to downplay Luongos ability to justify Reimer as a starter.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Numbers

My question to Leaf fans:

How can you talk so highly of Reimer when he has never played an entire season as a starter without getting injured?

Wasn't Raycroft the next great goalie? What happened to him?

Old
03-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
It just doesn't make sense to me. They should just go after Bernier instead.
Philly?

Their problem is they haven't brought in a goaltender who can steal games, handle pressure, and thrive in a "goalie graveyard".

The last thing they need to do is bring in Bobrosky 2.0

Old
03-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 0
Sorta unrelated, but I have seen posters using the "half season" excuse to try and tear down the Leafs success this year.

I call ********. Every team has 48 games. Every team is only playing their conference. Every team plays the same amount of games against their division. So stop bringing this up.

(Calming down)

In terms of Luuuuuuuu, no one can deny that he is an elite goalie. He IS better then Reimer. Ultimately the goal is to win a Stanley Cup and he makes that more realistic.

On the other sides of things, that contract is horrendous, and could end up causing problems down the road.

All this comes down too is price. I think if there is a deal to be made, I think it involves a Grabo + for Luongo deal.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

How can you talk so highly of Reimer when he has never played an entire season as a starter without getting injured?

He could groom himself into a starter.

But there is the chance he could be the next Raycroft, Mason, or as the example I used, Alex Auld.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Sorta unrelated, but I have seen posters using the "half season" excuse to try and tear down the Leafs success this year.

I call ********. Every team has 48 games. Every team is only playing their conference. Every team plays the same amount of games against their division. So stop bringing this up.

(Calming down)

In terms of Luuuuuuuu, no one can deny that he is an elite goalie. He IS better then Reimer. Ultimately the goal is to win a Stanley Cup and he makes that more realistic.

On the other sides of things, that contract is horrendous, and could end up causing problems down the road.

All this comes down too is price. I think if there is a deal to be made, I think it involves a Grabo + for Luongo deal.
Couldn't agree more with this post on both parts of it.

Nice to see a reasonable Leafs fan (assuming you are a Leafs fan) I think something around Grabo+ 4 Lu would work wonders for both sides and makes tons of sense.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
There you have found the flaw in your argument. Luongo is a generational talent. These types of players generally have longer shelf lifes than the average joe. (even if they are a good joe) add on to that the fact goaltenders generally have a longer prime anyways.

Luongo is better than Riemer right now, it isn't a debate. Even if you don't want Luongo, he is the better goalie. saying otherwise is homerish to the extreme.

And I wouldn't put all my chips in an unproven James Riemer, he may be a starter, and more power to him, but goaltenders do have one hit wonder years, a few years back Alex Auld had a pretty good season for us, was young and looked like he was coming into his own as a starter, won team MVP. Then we traded him for Luongo and he never was able to build on that success.

And just going back to your stats this year argument for a second. Take away Luongo's bad game against Detroit and his SV% is the same. Just goes to show how stats can't be leaned on as the be all and end all.
Same as what?

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post

In all fairness, I am more concerned about their PDO, not so much the shortened season.
I think last year the team got no bounces, and this year they are getting all the bounces.

But I think this is still a team that should compete for the playoffs, and has a solid young core that can grow into a very competitive team.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Same as what?
Goes from .904 to .919

The magic of a small sample size.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Its actually the Canucks assistant GM saying this. Not a media type.

Small sample size in his first season too.

He's a good goalie, I hate to sound like I am dismissing him off as crap. But he isn't as good as Luongo and has more to prove IMO before he is considered a surefire, true blue #1. Like C'mon lets be realistic.

And I don't really think his value really is all that high judging by the market. There is certainly more interest in Lu then I think teams would have in Riemer if he was out there.
He is as valuable as Schneider and Rask, etc. Young goalie, proven capable of an elite level of play but yet to play a season as a starter. You can deny it all you want but all have similar statistics at a relatively young age in their first season as their teams respective starter. I know for a fact that Nuck fans value Schenider more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Because hes the only goalie since Belfour that has been winning us games. Raycroft was already pathetic when he got here regardless of that season he won 40 games or so and Toskala had one decent season that hasnt matched what Reimer proved capable of.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
There you have found the flaw in your argument. Luongo is a generational talent. These types of players generally have longer shelf lifes than the average joe. (even if they are a good joe) add on to that the fact goaltenders generally have a longer prime anyways.

Luongo is better than Riemer right now, it isn't a debate. Even if you don't want Luongo, he is the better goalie. saying otherwise is homerish to the extreme.

And I wouldn't put all my chips in an unproven James Riemer, he may be a starter, and more power to him, but goaltenders do have one hit wonder years, a few years back Alex Auld had a pretty good season for us, was young and looked like he was coming into his own as a starter, won team MVP. Then we traded him for Luongo and he never was able to build on that success.

And just going back to your stats this year argument for a second. Take away Luongo's bad game against Detroit and his SV% is the same. Just goes to show how stats can't be leaned on as the be all and end all.
Did you just call Luongo a generational talent?

lol...

Closed Thread