2013 Prospect Updates Continued

Old
07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmansuncle View Post
Gonna be interesting to see the top 10... with guys like Faksa, Morrow, Nemeth and a few others

I'll take a shot
Nichuskin ( Can't see him not being #1 )
Oleksiak
Campbell
Chiasson
you could put Ritchie/Faksa/Morrow/Dickinson here.

Ritchie is the closet to being NHL ready, but damn wouldnt it be great if Faksa went into camp', and earned a spot
Do you mean an NHL spot? I reckon he's got a less than 2% chance of doing that. Dude needs to go back to juniors, stay healthy, keep it up defensively, show more offensive domination, then he's probably got at very least one AHL season but probably more like two.

My top 10 would be:

Nichushkin
Oleksiak
Ritchie
Chiasson
Stransky
Morrow
Campbell
Faksa
Nemeth
Jokipakka

Obviously, I feel less sure about Campbell and Faksa's upside than most others here.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

vCash: 500
I'll go with

1. Nichushkin
2. Ritchie
3. Oleksiak
4. Campbell
5a. Chiasson
5b. Morrow

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:01 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
1 - Nichushkin
2 - Campbell
3 - Oleksiak
4 - Chiasson
5 - Ritchie
6 - Morrow
7 - Faksa
8 - Stransky
9 - Dickinson
10 - Nemeth

Damn, that looks just amazing.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Do you mean an NHL spot? I reckon he's got a less than 2% chance of doing that. Dude needs to go back to juniors, stay healthy, keep it up defensively, show more offensive domination, then he's probably got at very least one AHL season but probably more like two.

My top 10 would be:

Nichushkin
Oleksiak
Ritchie
Chiasson
Stransky
Morrow
Campbell
Faksa
Nemeth
Jokipakka

Obviously, I feel less sure about Campbell and Faksa's upside than most others here.
I meant it as how awesome it would be since we're in big need of two Centers, but yes I know it wont happen.

I thought Campbell had a good year last season, and will only get better. I also really like the guy so that doesn't always help when ranking players lol

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

It's not that I hate Dickinson it's that I think we passed on a guy who has the it factor to be awesome so I haz a sad. Petan I also believe junior numbers give a good indication of future potential and though he was buried hoping his offensive game grows to the point that he morphs into an awesome pick has me skeptical.

Fraser has an elite ability. He has an NHL shot and he scores goals. I can't say he's going to be great but I think he's got an NHL future, if not here then as a good trade piece. Dallas hasn't had a back to back 30+ AHL goal scorer since they moved from Minnesota. That deserves huge consideration especially since he's played without an above average center since we signed him.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:16 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmansuncle View Post
I thought Campbell had a good year last season, and will only get better. I also really like the guy so that doesn't always help when ranking players lol
Most people think more of him than I do. I hope he succeeds but honestly, I feel like the odds of him being our next franchise goalie are about the same as Desrosiers.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
It's not that I hate Dickinson it's that I think we passed on a guy who has the it factor to be awesome so I haz a sad. Petan I also believe junior numbers give a good indication of future potential and though he was buried hoping his offensive game grows to the point that he morphs into an awesome pick has me skeptical.

Fraser has an elite ability. He has an NHL shot and he scores goals. I can't say he's going to be great but I think he's got an NHL future, if not here then as a good trade piece. Dallas hasn't had a back to back 30+ AHL goal scorer since they moved from Minnesota. That deserves huge consideration especially since he's played without an above average center since we signed him.
Learning about Dickinson, we made the right choice with him over Petan.

Elie over Petan? No ****ing way.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Most people think more of him than I do. I hope he succeeds but honestly, I feel like the odds of him being our next franchise goalie are about the same as Desrosiers.
I think Valley can turn both of them into top tier netminders, bordering on elite. So much of goaltending along the way depends on coaching.

Congrats on 10K, BTW!

Old
07-03-2013, 11:20 PM
chirrrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
1 - Nichushkin
2 - Campbell
3 - Oleksiak
4 - Chiasson
5 - Ritchie
6 - Morrow
7 - Faksa
8 - Stransky
9 - Dickinson
10 - Nemeth

Damn, that looks just amazing.
Agreed. It's why I don't mind our current funk. We are building great depth IMO. Sure we've had a ton of guys with 2nd line ceilings and 4th line floors, but like Boston and Chicago, those guys are invaluable in long series. Over 4-8 years, any team *should* be able to build a playoff team if balanced right. I think we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirrrs View Post
Well since we're doing it:

Overall Potential:

1) Nichushkin
3) Ritchie
3) Oleksiak
4) Campbell
5) Morrow
That's more like potential within the next 5 years. Potential over the course of a career (whether short or long):

1 - Nichushkin
2 - Ritchie
3 - Campbell
4 - Oleksiak
5 - Dickinson
6 - Chiasson
7 - Morrow
8 - Faksa
9 - Stransky
10 - Nemeth

chirrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:20 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
Little off topic, but I really liked what I saw from Desrosiers in his interviews on the Stars main page. Seems very confident, and thats never a bad thing.... most times

Lets just say one of those two will be a #1 goalie for us, so we can all feel good

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
After his huge struggles last year there is no way in hell Faska is anywhere near this roster. I just thank god Spott was fired and there's hope a more offensive system is implemented in Kitchner. To say his development was stifled last year is putting it mildly.
Lol Spott wasn't fired. He resigned to take the head coaching position of the Marlies. A job he got because of his reputation as a top tier development coach.

Faksa had nagging injuries all season and never got up to full speed. He's still just about guaranteed to be a Cody Eakin type player.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I don't think this has been mentioned, but I noticed Ludwig Bystrom has transferred from MODO to Färjestad in the SHL.

The U-20 camp roster was just named, and Bystrom was left off.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I think Valley can turn both of them into top tier netminders, bordering on elite. So much of goaltending along the way depends on coaching.
I see you and a few others around here rave about Valley but what makes him a better than average goalie coach?

Quote:
Congrats on 10K, BTW!
Thanks. Gotta be honest, it feels like a bit of a reminder of how much free time I have.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned, but I noticed Ludwig Bystrom has transferred from MODO to Färjestad in the SHL.

The U-20 camp roster was just named, and Bystrom was left off.
I don't know a damn thing about that league, but I do remember Farjestad being awesome. Could be a great move!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:03 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I don't know a damn thing about that league, but I do remember Farjestad being awesome. Could be a great move!
Nilstorp won a championship with them 3 years ago. They are a top team pretty often, and they lost several D. He should have a good opportunity to actually play.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
*Defenseman Dmitry Sinitsyn (7th round/2011) said he plans on playing in the Western Hockey League next season. Sinitsyn was drafted by Regina of the WHL in the CHL Import Draft earlier this week. The Russian-born defenseman played last season for UMass Lowell, but suited up in only 13 games. The season before that he sat out due to visa issues. Sinitsyn said playing in the WHL will give what he needs most — games.

“That’s what I need. I’ve played 13 games the past two years,” said Sinitsyn. “I definitely need some games and playing time.”
http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/07/0...aturday-notes/

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Good move for him.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 04:44 AM
InjuredChoker

Pronman ranks Stars as #8 prospect pool

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
I see you and a few others around here rave about Valley but what makes him a better than average goalie coach?
He's one of the most respected goalie coaches in the league and the one credited with turning Kari's career around.

Lets put it this way, Valley has survived like 3 coach changes. If he for some reason ever gets fired, I don't think he'd be on the market for longer than 5 minutes.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
He's one of the most respected goalie coaches in the league and the one credited with turning Kari's career around.

Lets put it this way, Valley has survived like 3 coach changes. If he for some reason ever gets fired, I don't think he'd be on the market for longer than 5 minutes.
Not arguing, but just to play devil's advocate here, it doesn't seem like many head coaches care just a whole lot about who the goalie coach is. Not many have "their guy". I'll buy what you guys are saying, though I've never really heard or read anything about him in any national media.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:30 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Not arguing, but just to play devil's advocate here, it doesn't seem like many head coaches care just a whole lot about who the goalie coach is. Not many have "their guy". I'll buy what you guys are saying, though I've never really heard or read anything about him in any national media.
for what it's worth, when researching goalies for my fantasy keeper league, i go to the one and only website devoted to any and all aspects of the goaltender position (www.thegoalieguild.com). the guy who runs it is really knowledgeable about the position. he (who happens to have grown up around the metroplex) stresses the importance of a good coach for a goalie's development and cites mike valley as one of the best around.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:50 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Henri Kiviaho is now listed at 6'4. He was 6'0 last season .. How about that eh lol

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
Henri Kiviaho is now listed at 6'4. He was 6'0 last season .. How about that eh lol
Well then, I don't feel so bad about that pick now.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
“The plan is for him to stay (in Dallas) all the way through until training camp. He will probably have two-a-days on the ice and strength and conditioning. He’ll be as active as possible for the summer, familiarize himself with the surroundings and then give it a shot in camp.”
Quote:
“He is going to be staying with a family in Frisco. We visited with them yesterday. They have a beautiful home and a beautiful family. There seemed to be instant chemistry among everybody. Valeri, before the end of the tour, said, ‘Sign me up.’ The most important thing it will accomplish is that Valeri will speak English by the end of the summer because if he wants to eat, do something or go somewhere he is going to have to speak the language. There will be no translators in the house. He understands that.
Full interview with Valeri's agent here.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Man pretty impressive for an 18 year old kid to do that. Not only is he focusing hard on physical training, but he's completely immersing himself in a foreign culture and forcing himself to learn the language to survive. That's going to be a stressful summer for him, and the fact he's commited to that is impressive.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote